• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Schrade

My friend accidentally hit the OTA Update on her Rooted Nexus 7 2013 that I set up for her.

I'm several thousand miles away from her so I have to help her over the phone right now.

Apparently, she says she hit the update and it rebooted the system and gave her something that looked like a DOS prompt (her words...) and I think it tried to install the update. She said she shut it off during the update (she thought it was a virus because she accidentally clicked on an ad in a game too)

Now, this Nexus 7 has (had?) the TWRP custom recovery, is rooted and I can still get her into Bootloader mode. I haven't had her try getting into the custom recovery mode since I'm at work right now.

Anyhow, when she boots up the system it just remains at a black screen. I'm assuming the update she did and aborted messed things up and I have to do stuff over USB with her system?

I can remote control her system so it's no big deal but I need to know if there's a way to do this without wiping her data?

I'm thinking maybe this?:

1) download the latest firmware zip
2) flash stock recovery
3) update firmware without wipe
4) Boot it up and see if things are ok?

Maybe I have to relock the bootloader too? Any help is appreciated :)

Edit: Some additional info - I have a TWRP backup of the system before I rooted it. Does a TWRP backup restore wipe any data on the device?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Are there any media players that can run 1080p/60fps video smoothly? So far I've tried the default gallery app, MX Player, and VLC and they all run slow and/or stuttery.

DonMigs85

Are there any media players that can run 1080p/60fps video smoothly? So far I've tried the default gallery app, MX Player, and VLC and they all run slow and/or stuttery.

Simply not enough hardware horsepower for that.
Speaking of MX Player, 4.4.2 borked it, says "unsupported Android version"
Hope he updates it soon

Threi

notag

Try Dice Player. Also check that the video is being hardware decoded.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Try Dice Player. Also check that the video is being hardware decoded.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It's able to play 720p/60fps videos I have smoothly. Overall I think I like this better than MX Player, especially since MX Player keeps giving errors every time I try to open it ATM.

rataplein

guys, i'm kind of worried. since yesterday my nexus apps don't connect to internet.

facebook don't update, simpsons app doesnt download the update OR connect. same with most of all apps.

but the browser (chrome) works perfectly.

i tried turning it on and off, both the tablet and the modem.

also my cellphone and laptop still work without changes.

any idea what could be happening?

Schrade

guys, i'm kind of worried. since yesterday my nexus apps don't connect to internet.

facebook don't update, simpsons app doesnt download the update OR connect. same with most of all apps.

but the browser (chrome) works perfectly.

i tried turning it on and off, both the tablet and the modem.

also my cellphone and laptop still work without changes.

any idea what could be happening?
Do you use Adblock Plus? I think there's some sort of proxy it sets the system to use and if Adblock isn't running nothing works well.

So just make sure Adblock Plus is running (if you use it)

If you don't use it I dunno.

a745

So I finally got my Nexus 7 2013 today and it is awesome! I admit I was a teensy bit disappointed at how narrow it is, but so far I think I've gotten pretty used to the size of it. It's so handy so far.

Can you guys recommend the best apps for this in terms of school work? Such as eBook or PDF readers or document editors? Thanks.

Ashhong

Went into work today at Office Depot and saw the 16gb was in sale for 180 and u get a 20$ gift card on top of that. Better than Black Friday deal! Crazy price IMO, unless there have been other good sales for it recently

Schrade

My friend accidentally hit the OTA Update on her Rooted Nexus 7 2013 that I set up for her.

I'm several thousand miles away from her so I have to help her over the phone right now.

Apparently, she says she hit the update and it rebooted the system and gave her something that looked like a DOS prompt (her words...) and I think it tried to install the update. She said she shut it off during the update (she thought it was a virus because she accidentally clicked on an ad in a game too)

Now, this Nexus 7 has (had?) the TWRP custom recovery, is rooted and I can still get her into Bootloader mode. I haven't had her try getting into the custom recovery mode since I'm at work right now.

Anyhow, when she boots up the system it just remains at a black screen. I'm assuming the update she did and aborted messed things up and I have to do stuff over USB with her system?

I can remote control her system so it's no big deal but I need to know if there's a way to do this without wiping her data?

I'm thinking maybe this?:

1) download the latest firmware zip
2) flash stock recovery
3) update firmware without wipe
4) Boot it up and see if things are ok?

Maybe I have to relock the bootloader too? Any help is appreciated :)

Edit: Some additional info - I have a TWRP backup of the system before I rooted it. Does a TWRP backup restore wipe any data on the device?

Just wanted to follow up on this. Couldn't find any help with searching and no one responded.

What I did was have her boot up into TWRP Recovery (which I installed and backed up the pristine system) and restore the system information only from the backup. I think in that backup there was boot, system and data. I just had her select system and uncheck the other two then restore.

Booted up perfectly fine with no issues after that. Just had her reinstall SuperSU via TWRP.

I love when things work smoothly.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ok I have a new Nexus 7 but it seems I have a very annoying problem. I would hate to send that thing back on the day I got it.

The bottom speaker will randomly start doing buzzing noises like a formula 1 car going faster. When playing Youtube videos, at first the videos audio is completely ok, but after like 20 seconds, this cracking/buzzing sounds starts to appear and not go away.

It also happens in Google Music, but funnily enough, every time I flip my device, the buzzing stops, only to start again after 10 seconds of music.

Anyone have any help? :((

It's NOT the low volume problem. It appears randomly, no matter what level of audio... Seems more like a software problem

Groof

Ok I have a new Nexus 7 but it seems I have a very annoying problem. I would hate to send that thing back on the day I got it.

The bottom speaker will randomly start doing buzzing noises like a formula 1 car going faster. When playing Youtube videos, at first the videos audio is completely ok, but after like 20 seconds, this cracking/buzzing sounds starts to appear and not go away.

It also happens in Google Music, but funnily enough, every time I flip my device, the buzzing stops, only to start again after 10 seconds of music.

Now I'm not going to say I know the issue, but that sounds like there's something broken with the speakers themselves. Sorry mate, you're probably going to have to send it back :(

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Now I'm not going to say I know the issue, but that sounds like there's something broken with the speakers themselves. Sorry mate, you're probably going to have to send it back :(

But the thing is, even randomly while just having the device sit idle in the main menu, it starts this buzzing sound for a few seconds and then stops. And it feels to me, though I cannot confirm 100%, that this started after the 4.4.2 update...

And it's both speakers, not just the bottom, as I have heard it right now.

Picked up the white version that went on sale last week.

Haven't had the time to open it yet (in the processing of moving to a new apartment), but the shipping was pretty fast.

I have the white version, nice tablet.

Actually is faster, quicker, smoother than the LG Pab 8.3 Google Play edition.

My only problem right now is that the position of the power button makes it a pain to switch the tablet on when it is lying on a flat surface, since it's sort of on the back and not on the side. Anybody else experience this?

Blastoise

Banned
I have the white version, nice tablet.

Actually is faster, quicker, smoother than the LG Pab 8.3 Google Play edition.

My only problem right now is that the position of the power button makes it a pain to switch the tablet on when it is lying on a flat surface, since it's sort of on the back and not on the side. Anybody else experience this?

The buttons are the most frustrating part of this device. Lol. Coming from an iPad, I always hit the power button thinking its volume up and turn off the screen while watching a video!

Vyer

It's NOT the low volume problem. It appears randomly, no matter what level of audio... Seems more like a software problem

Low volume just makes it more noticeable. Crackling speakers happens with a lot of units, I went through 2 of them and you can find plenty of threads about it on various forums.

Since it doesn't seem to be all of them (or at least as obvious), you could just try changing until you get one where it's not a problem. I gave up after trying a couple and hearing the same on a friend's.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Thanks guys, sent it back and got another one...

I just rooted my device and would love some tips, what the best root apps are:

I have greenify, proxydroid and Stickmount...

Anything else? Any good adblock apps?

Razdek

Banned
Is anyone still getting random reboots on 4.4.2? I thought this got fixed bit it's rebooting and starting to piss me off.

adroit

I have a launch 2012 and had my first reboot the other day watching a free TV episode I downloaded from the Play store. Screen went black for a while and then "Google" (rebooted itself).

My tablet is stock, unrooted. No "funny" apps.

Jzero

I have a launch 2012 and had my first reboot the other day watching a free TV episode I downloaded from the Play store. Screen went black for a while and then "Google" (rebooted itself).

My tablet is stock, unrooted. No "funny" apps.

Yup, that happens once in a while.

Phanta

Anyone else having wifi problems? My connection has gotten a lot slower recently, even at home. Also have problems connecting to free WiFi in stores, where the verification just won't come up.

Razdek

Banned
Anyone else having wifi problems? My connection has gotten a lot slower recently, even at home. Also have problems connecting to free WiFi in stores, where the verification just won't come up.

Yep I am running on stock 4.4.2 along with random reboots is making me use my Nexus 7 less and less. I have no issues in my Nexus 5.

rataplein

Yep I am running on stock 4.4.2 along with random reboots is making me use my Nexus 7 less and less. I have no issues in my Nexus 5.

also running on 4.2.2 stock, and been having wifi problem for theast weeks. no app seem to connect, and the browser only works with the bookmarked pages. weird.

Phanta

also running on 4.2.2 stock, and been having wifi problem for theast weeks. no app seem to connect, and the browser only works with the bookmarked pages. weird.

Wifi is the only problem with mine thankfully.

KitKat fixed the wifi issues I was having but since the last update, they have come back. :/

Halcyon

I purchased a N7 as my first tablet yesterday. I really like it so far. Screen is really really nice.

I'm trying to find a good cover thing for it. Does anyone have the Poetic Slimline? It seems to be the best fit for the tablet while also being really cheap.

I purchased a N7 as my first tablet yesterday. I really like it so far. Screen is really really nice.

I'm trying to find a good cover thing for it. Does anyone have the Poetic Slimline? It seems to be the best fit for the tablet while also being really cheap.
That's the one I got and it's been perfect thus far.

gblues

Banned
Really enjoy our N7. The only major issue we have had with it is the ghost touch issue when not plugged in, and KitKat fixed that nicely.

Main frustrating thing is how many apps don't support the N7's multi user profile feature. Farm Frenzy 3 only works on the owner's profile.

Dec

Hello and meeerry Christmas!

My sister gave me her old Nexus 7 since she didn't use it and I don't want a tablet enough to buy one myself, however it was nearly dead when she put it in the gift basket she gave me and it didn't turn on when I got it today, I assume it drained completely, which is something Nexus 7's apparently have problems recovering from.

I plugged it in and just got an empty battery icon, after figuring out she swapped the usb cable that connects to the power adapter with her phone one, I finally got a charging icon on the Nexus. I left it for a few hours and came back to it only showing a charging icon with a battery filling up.

It has now been charging for at least 12 hours, throughout the charging I have kept trying to boot it. Only one time it booted, I went into settings and selected the restore to factory settings option, it restarted and restored and I was in the setup process you'd get on a new device. In the middle of entering my account info a pop up appeared saying it was shutting down, with a warning in the back to reconnect the charger, the charger was connected already. The Nexus shut down and I have not been able to have it boot since then.

I'm wondering if I can open the back of this thing to make sure the battery is connected tightly without voiding the warranty? Apparently there is some space around the battery that allows it to shift and the shifting may have caused a loose connection.

These are things I have tried thus far:

Holding the power button for minutes on end.
Holding both volume buttons then holding the power button so all three are held down for minutes on end.
Holding all combinations of buttons for minutes on end (bootloader doesn't appear).
Letting it charge for over 12 hours
Trying different outlets

In essence, this is my main question:
I'm wondering if I can open the back of this thing to make sure the battery is connected tightly without voiding the warranty?

I would very much appreciate any assistance, thanks.

Husker86

Plug it into AC power overnight and try it in the morning. After that I'd start to worry. The backs are really easy to take off, but I really doubt a loose battery is the issue. Shouldn't be too hard to check though.

Look at ifixit's teardown.

Dec

Plug it into AC power overnight and try it in the morning. After that I'd start to worry. The backs are really easy to take off, but I really doubt a loose battery is the issue. Shouldn't be too hard to check though.

Look at ifixit's teardown.

I popped the back off and pushed the battery connector in tighter than it was. I couldn't easily get the connector out without my tools on hand so I settled with that. No change, still just a charging icon.

I'll leave it over night and see what happens. Thanks.

Dec

Ok so it turned on. Just tried it after 36 hours or whatever on charge. Got through set up and now that I'm in the phone the battery is at 9% charged but it says 1 second on battery remaining. I tried to update the tablet and there is too little battery to update it says. I guess I'll leave it longer but this seems messed up.

Sol1dus

Are there any "disk defragment"-esque tools for the Nexus? My 2012 has been lagging as of late and I want to see if an app like that can fix it.

Husker86

Ok so it turned on. Just tried it after 36 hours or whatever on charge. Got through set up and now that I'm in the phone the battery is at 9% charged but it says 1 second on battery remaining. I tried to update the tablet and there is too little battery to update it says. I guess I'll leave it longer but this seems messed up.
Just to make sure, you're charging through AC power, right? The only thing I can think of is if you're on USB and that computer has a very low output. Otherwise, yeah, something is wrong (but I don't think it's a loose battery, more like a bad one).

Just upgraded to the 2013 from the 2012 Nexus 7. Only problem so far is the 'main' home screen is now the far left instead of the center. So when I put any wallpaper up it doesn't center right.

Any way to change which screen is the default home screen?

DonMigs85

Just upgraded to the 2013 from the 2012 Nexus 7. Only problem so far is the 'main' home screen is now the far left instead of the center. So when I put any wallpaper up it doesn't center right.

You may have to install something like Apex or Nova Launcher

Dec

Just to make sure, you're charging through AC power, right? The only thing I can think of is if you're on USB and that computer has a very low output. Otherwise, yeah, something is wrong (but I don't think it's a loose battery, more like a bad one).

Yes AC power. It has gone from 9% battery to 10% since my last post. Still saying 1 second battery remaining.

Edit: It says "charging (USB)" in the battery menu. I didn't think anything of it, is that what it's supposed to say? I unplugged it and moved it from my battery backup to a wall outlet and it still says 10%, but 7 second battery left. 6 second increase!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes AC power. It has gone from 9% battery to 10% since my last post. Still saying 1 second battery remaining.

Edit: It says "charging (USB)" in the battery menu. I didn't think anything of it, is that what it's supposed to say? I unplugged it and moved it from my battery backup to a wall outlet and it still says 10%, but 7 second battery left. 6 second increase!

Did you reboot just to see if that changes anything?

Dec

Did you reboot just to see if that changes anything?

Honestly scared to. Took like 36 hours to get it to turn on.

I'll try it though.

Edit: I think I figured it out. My sister insisted it was the right AC adapter after I thought that might be the issue but I just watched an unboxing video to see what it looked like. It isn't the right one, and this one is rated less than a third the power of the one it needs. They gave me the wrong one initially and it did nothing (didn't respond at all), then brought out another one and instantly a charging symbol appeared so I assumed it was the correct one without reading the rating, since the wrong one didn't work at all. I'm using my phone charger now that is rated for 1.8A, close to the official adapters 2A. It's going much faster now and I'll see about getting the correct one tomorrow. Still a bit strange how the battery goes fucking insane when a weak charger is plugged into it.

Thanks for all your assistance, friends.

jsip

Banned

If your only concern is wallpaper, download something like ES File explorer and navigate to your wallpapers from there and set your wallpaper from there. You will have the option of resizing and centering. As a side note, ES File explorer is fucking amazing and no Android should be without it.

---

So I recently picked up a Poetic Slimline case and I'm really not digging it. It's a bit loose, flimsy, doesn't feel nearly as good as my Body Glove for my N4. It only cost 15 bucks so I can't expect much but seeing how many great reviews it has I'm not sure if everyone has low expectations or mine is faulty or something. Its not warped or broken or have imperfections, i just think its a piece of junk and like my more expensive Google sleeve better. Men.

Top Bottom