• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Izick

Man, I just got my Galaxy S3, but I'm really wanting this thing too!! I'm thinking phone, Nexus 7 for 7" consumption tablet, e-ink kindle for reading, and MS Surface for portable productivity might be my device solution.

I sort of regret getting my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas now. Oh well, I doubt she'd know the difference.

Meh, not really. The Nexus 7 would basically just be a "remote" for the Nexus Q, if I understand the Q correctly. The Q streams content itself over the net, it doesn't get it from the device.

It is still technically correct though. Most likely all of your content will be connected via the cloud, so mostly anything on your 7 can also be on your Q.

Well I guess that's true.

Is that going to make Google TV obsolete? Was thinking of picking one up as a second monitor.

Not completely familiar with G TV, but Q basically is an Apple Box, but it accesses all of your purchased content on the Google Play store, and currently has no 3rd party apps.

teiresias

It is still technically correct though. Most likely all of your content will be connected via the cloud, so mostly anything on your 7 can also be on your Q.

True, I guess my point is just that if he's looking for something with the PRIME motivation being getting content to his big screen, he could just buy a Q without a Nexus 7 so long as he already has an Android phone (they both can control it I think, right?).

Izick

True, I guess my point is just that if he's looking for something with the PRIME motivation being getting content to his big screen, he could just buy a Q without a Nexus 7 so long as he already has an Android phone (they both can control it I think, right?).

Yes, and good point.

I was just saying that Q seems to be the best bet for having an ecosystem in place, like an iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV type of deal.

Izick

I still can't decide whether to go 8 or 16 gig...money is a little tight right now, but I don't want to end up having something that I wish I could have gotten more out of. Then again, for what I'm doing, and with the cloud, I'm not exactly sure how much space I'll really need.

I went with 8 gigs. Honestly I don't keep a lot of shit on it. Android doesn't have many apps I like that take up a lot of space so no worries there. Other content will be either on the cloud, or things I only use once or twice and then can delete off of it. I'll store all the other stuff on an external or on my PC.

Izick

I went with 8 gigs. Honestly I don't keep a lot of shit on it. Android doesn't have many apps I like that take up a lot of space so no worries there. Other content will be either on the cloud, or things I only use once or twice and then can delete off of it. I'll store all the other stuff on an external or on my PC.

Do you already have an Android device, Pyro? What apps do you suggest starting out?

Sean

Banned
Nexus 7: how a budget Asus tablet vanished — and reemerged as Google's Kindle Fire killer (The Verge)

I'd be willing to bet that most people believe Google's Nexus 7 tablet is a wholly new design: that Google contracted Asus to produce a $199 Kindle Fire killer in just four months, like Andy Rubin and Asus chairman Jonney Shih told AllThingsD last night.

The truth is far more complex. The truth is that the Nexus 7 is the Asus ME370T, an Android tablet whose destiny has repeatedly changed.

So if the Nexus 7 has been coming for far longer than four months, what did Jonney Shih mean? Asus tells us that's how long it took to re-engineer, design, tool, and manufacture the ME370T into the admittedly impressive Nexus 7 we see today. Among other things, it has a brand-new motherboard, a revised Tegra 3 T30L chip, a laminated IPS display, and a revised, grippier textured rear casing. "While the base design and setup was completed in the 370T to meet a certain price point and option list, the efforts required to get that design to $199 meant going back to the drawing board and starting over on just about every aspect of the unit," an Asus rep told us.

Izick

I love that title. So dramatic!

There's no doubt though, Google's backing and using it as it's "official" tablet is going to do wonders for this thing. I mean, look at all the buzz it already has built up, without a single real commercial out there yet. Hopefully a bright future is ahead for Apple (the present is already bright though I suppose), MS, and Google's self-branded tablets.

EDIT:

Also, from the comments.

7fwm6.gif

Phoenix

I still can't decide whether to go 8 or 16 gig...money is a little tight right now, but I don't want to end up having something that I wish I could have gotten more out of. Then again, for what I'm doing, and with the cloud, I'm not exactly sure how much space I'll really need.

I would actually recommend waiting about 2 month as the Android market for those 7" form factors is about to heat up fairly significantly.

Phoenix

I really like this one though, and the price can't be beat for me.

I like it a lot too, but there will be much better options in this same price range later this summer and absolutely in Q3 as they start ramping up for Christmas. Its a judgement call, certainly, but I would urge restraint. While the Nexus 7 is a cool device - it is not a 'feature' device and honestly its limited feature set was more intended for cheap development distribution (like the horror that is the Chromebox) than to be a robust consumer offering. Google has always played it a bit fast and loose with these things as they are just versions of the same device that the vendor (Asus in this case) will be pushing out the door later in the year with more functionality.

But I certainly understand wanting one. It is a nice device.

Raistlin

If you use alot of media on a wifi device you should really look into a NAS.

Travelers excluded.
Or get a device that has SD.

Regardless, many people will have problems without media if they are constrained to 6GB. That's the salient point here.

I would actually recommend waiting about 2 month as the Android market for those 7" form factors is about to heat up fairly significantly.

The fact that it's Google's 7" is a huge selling point (and the reason I took the plunge even though I own an iPad 3). It will receive OS updates and good support for quite some time.

Google Nexus 7 gets four-month Android 4.1 exclusivity, according to CW

Carphone Warehouse has announced that it will be stocking the newly announced Google Nexus 7 tablet and also revealed a little tidbit about what Google is doing with Jelly Bean.

In a release, it explains that it will be stocking the 16GB version of the Nexus 7 for £199.99.

Alongside this, the press release notes that the Nexus 7 "will be the first (and only for the next four months) tablet to run the new Jelly Bean operating system."
Bean there, done that

Given that Google has been rather coy over who will get Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and when, this is the first piece of solid information we have been given as to how long Google is keeping the mobile OS to itself.

The news will be a blow to all the other tablet OEMs out there using Android as an OS, as it means that the updated Google Play store will not be available to their devices until at least November 2012.

This means it won't be available to the mainstream until BB10, Windows Phone 8 and iOS 6 are in the wild.

It is also news that counteracts Google's own keynote where it said it would try and bring Jelly Bean to the Motorola Xoom some time in July - which does make sense as Moto is now under the Google banner.

We have asked for clarification from Carphone Warehouse about its release.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i have a shitload of apps and games on my galaxy nexus. I also have all of my streamed songs stored after i stream them... i'm currently at 4gb used.

That's pretty shocking, but its obvious we use our phones differently. If I have 2GB left on my Windows Phone I bought last November, given that ecosystem's dearth of apps compared to Android, its pretty surprising you've only used up 4gb. You probably don't download a lot of games, I also have video podcasts and about 2GB of music, which really isn't much, about 1.5gb of music and the rest is apps and miscellaneous content. Doesn't take much, and the entry level tablet only has 8gb. No excuse for that really.

kehs

Banned
Any recs? Ones with Time Machine and AFP support preferably.

Netgears Readynas line are top notch and their service is fantastic. I had one fry out after about 5 years and they replaced it after running diagnostics for a bit, and Synology has oodles of features, Both are apple friendly.

Or get a device that has SD.

Regardless, many people will have problems without media if they are constrained to 6GB. That's the salient point here.

I really can't see myself transferring stuff over to the tablet, just to watch the content. g network is more than sufficient to watch 1080p videos(if you've already ripped them to that).

Six gb is on the lean side, but that's why there's a 16gb model, and if your even more worried there are tons of other solutions, even from Asus themselves!, but you know this. =P

Travelers can get a usb drive or a wifi drive. I mean, it's a $200 tablet after all.

Friktion321

Neo Member
I've been considering getting the Samsung Galaxy Tab (7incher) for quite some time now. Definitely gonna hold off for this beauty.

Raistlin

Why do you keep using the 8gb as a base point anyways? Anybody worried about space will absolutely not even think about the 8gb to being with.
A number of posters here are trying to rationalize getting the 8GB because they don't plan to use a lot of media.

13gb still too small too?
If you do want to store media locally, obviously yes.

derder

I like it a lot too, but there will be much better options in this same price range later this summer and absolutely in Q3 as they start ramping up for Christmas. Its a judgement call, certainly, but I would urge restraint. While the Nexus 7 is a cool device - it is not a 'feature' device and honestly its limited feature set was more intended for cheap development distribution (like the horror that is the Chromebox) than to be a robust consumer offering. Google has always played it a bit fast and loose with these things as they are just versions of the same device that the vendor (Asus in this case) will be pushing out the door later in the year with more functionality.

But I certainly understand wanting one. It is a nice device.

Great advice but he is guarrenteed the latest and greatest updates with the nexus 7. If something comes out that is truly better in 3 months, he could probably flip it for $150 easily.

Two questions.

1. How can I order a developer version of the tablet?

2. Any chance video out is supported through DLNA or headphone jack on the Nexus 7?
(I ask because my android phone does both and the features are not listed in the manual)

Looking forward to checking one of these out in the future. Wish they were coming to a Brick and Mortar store to play with. I'm sure it'll be far better than that piece of crap Amazon Fire.

adroit

1. How can I order a developer version of the tablet
I hope it isn't locked to only run apps from the store. I was planning to write some of my own apps (in fact, that's the main reason I'm buying an Android device). If it's locked, I'm going to call and cancel my order. It would be nearly useless to me.

Top Bottom