• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

davidnic

my n7 has sweet battery life way better then my asus transformer.
zxbrP.png

Threi

notag
Battery life without screen on time is a useless metric...the thing can last for weeks if you don't use it, after all.

That being said it's not too bad. I average about 5-6 hours screen on time...not as much as 8-9h as google mentioned but the longest-lasting android device i have.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I honestly can't wait for the dock. Just being able to sit this thing in a cradle and walk away instead of having to use the charger will be much more convenient.

Oh man, XScope just updated to support double tap top of the page to scroll all the way up. Aside from typing generally blowing monkey chunks due to the strange lag issue, this is great. Oh and it also has one finger tab switching gesture support. Guess this combined with LMT has covered all my bases

Emily Chu

Banned
Oh man, XScope just updated to support double tap top of the page to scroll all the way up. Aside from typing generally blowing monkey chunks due to the strange lag issue, this is great. Oh and it also has one finger tab switching gesture support. Guess this combined with LMT has covered all my bases

Using latest xscope on my gnex if only they had 3 tier quick controls as well it would be the perfect browser on android but the I find lmt to be even quicker then reaching all the way down for he nav buttons plus it takes up zero screen space.

Using latest xscope on my gnex if only they had 3 tier quick controls as well it would be the perfect browser on android but the I find lmt to be even quicker then reaching all the way down for he nav buttons plus it takes up zero screen space.
Well I've got the full screen mod running and I use lmt for home, back, and search. xScope has swipe based back/forward, tab switching and closing gestures. About all that's missing is a gesture to open a new tab

markot

Banned
My phone and n7 both always keep their screen on when recharging unless I then it off... and when its charged the screen comes on... why doesn't it obey the screen off timer anymore? My phone is a g2, and I might be crazy but I think it only started with the 4 update?

Dizzan

MINI Member
No. The "Google Play Books" app does not have any dictionary or translation feature. Instead, you have to switch to Chrome (or some other app) to look things up. You have to type the word yourself because you can't copy any of the book text to the clipboard.

That's shit lol

Hopefully it can be updated to make this work. They have all the tools (translate etc) ready to work in with it. Surely it can't be that hard.

Cigol

That's shit lol

Hopefully it can be updated to make this work. They have all the tools (translate etc) ready to work in with it. Surely it can't be that hard.

Well, you can only read books bought from the Google store anyway so it's not much use I find. Which is a shame because it's really fast and the page turn graphics and book wall are very snazzy.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Well, you can only read books bought from the Google store anyway so it's not much use I find. Which is a shame because it's really fast and the page turn graphics and book wall are very snazzy.

I don't mind that. Google are definitely pushing for the itunes like ecosystem with Play.

Now they just need the content.....

bob page

my n7 has sweet battery life way better then my asus transformer.
zxbrP.png
Those stats don't really matter unless you post the screen on time. My on time was 4 days but screen time was 3 hrs, leaving the battery at 60%.

I wasn't really impressed by the battery compared to my iPad 2 (but I'm sure the battery in that is much bigger).

Tattooth

I am thinking about getting one of these, but since I am in the UK I won't have access to Google music, tv shows or magazines. Are there any workarounds to get these in the UK?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I am thinking about getting one of these, but since I am in the UK I won't have access to Google music, tv shows or magazines. Are there any workarounds to get these in the UK?

You can sign up for Google music outside of the US pretty easily. Just download and use hotspot shield when you sign up. It doesn't check your location after that.

Seik

Banned
My phone and n7 both always keep their screen on when recharging unless I then it off... and when its charged the screen comes on... why doesn't it obey the screen off timer anymore? My phone is a g2, and I might be crazy but I think it only started with the 4 update?

I'm pretty sure you can configure it in a way it won't stay on when charging, it would be dumb otherwise. :/

Cigol

Mine doesn't stay on whilst charging; it does that thing where the screen comes on initially but it eventually goes back to sleep. Maybe you've altered the display settings or something without realising or you've installed an app that won't let it sleep?

Google Music works fine in the UK as someone already said, I've been using it myself, just be aware it takes several years to upload your music. [/not really, but sort of...]

Levi

Banned
Not been keeping up with developments but have you guys figured out a way of connecting extra storage to the Nexus yet?

Root + Stickmount + OTG cable + 32GB flash drive.

My otg cable is in the mail so haven't tested this personally, but lots of people have it working so I'm optimistic.

deviant1

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent keyboard/touch lag on the nexus 7? It'd just strike suddenly and won't relent until I reboot the damned thing. it's so frustrating cause typing on my iPhone 4 is a dream, and it almost never skips characters, whereas on the N7, I could skipping characters like crazy, and hitting backspace experiences lag too. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm using Xscope Browser, but reverting to Chrome does not seem to have any effect after the issue crops up

Apparently touchscreen issues have been somewhat common with the N7. I just contacted Google about getting a replacement N7 since mine has been having a ton of touchscreen issues like this. The touchscreen lags, or just straight up doesn't recognize or drops inputs constantly. Eventually it becomes completely unrespnsive and I have to lock the screen and wait a few seconds for it to correct itself. This works for a bit but it will happen again consistently. It's extremely annoying when I'm just doing basic stuff like dragging something on screen or typing. Having to enter passwords several times since I'm dropping random characters sucks.

This all started 2 days after I got it, and it's been getting worse every day.

Morts

Just got notified that the 16 GB version is available on Google Play again. It should be interesting to see if the second wave resolves the hardware issues people have been having. Those combined with the supposed imminence of an iPad mini are making me hold off.

Emily Chu

Banned
Root + Stickmount + OTG cable + 32GB flash drive.

My otg cable is in the mail so haven't tested this personally, but lots of people have it working so I'm optimistic.

you gotta take a pic of that working

I'd like to see it but it sounds clumsy having all that crap attached to the damn thing..

Seik

Banned
Nexus 7 16GBs are back in stock on the Google Play store.....must...resist....purchasing....

Yeah its not easy, I'd jump on it too. :/

My local FutureShop is getting a new batch today too...Hnnnnnngh!

I really should wait at least one more week, so that I'd be sure to get one of the newest, most revised device possible. But, man, that's hard.

Emily Chu

Banned
Yeah its not easy, I'd jump on it too. :/

My local FutureShop is getting a new batch today too...Hnnnnnngh!

I really should wait at least one more week, so that I'd be sure to get one of the newest, most revised device possible. But, man, that's hard.

at this point I'm willing to sweep this under the rug and just get another one come x-mas.

feels like were just beta testing the whole damn thing for the next couple of months anyway.

Seik

Banned
at this point I'm willing to sweep this under the rug and just get another one come x-mas.

feels like were just beta testing the whole damn thing for the next couple of months anyway.

Yeah well, I was going with the N7 because the 3DSXL seems to still have some factory flaws. Many people in the 3DS preview thead on the gaming side experiences scratches on screen, shitty speakers and black lines on the upper screen.

Its not that much better here with dead pixels, screen popping out of the frame and loosing sensitivity. Still more tempting because I already have a OG 3DS.

Emily Chu

Banned
Yeah well, I was going with the N7 because the 3DSXL seems to still have some factory flaws. Many people in the 3DS preview thead on the gaming side experiences scratches on screen, shitty speakers and black lines on the upper screen.

Its not that much better here with dead pixels, screen popping out of the frame and loosing sensitivity. Still more tempting because I already have a OG 3DS.

idk man they really don't make stuff at least electronic stuff like they used to

these things almost fall apart in your hand the minute you take them out of the box....

Zeth

Does Thumb Keyboard have a macro function that let's you quickly type your name/username? And does the app noticeably slow down keyboard operation or is it pretty much the same?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
idk man they really don't make stuff at least electronic stuff like they used to

these things almost fall apart in your hand the minute you take them out of the box....

Yeah, I'm kind of upset at myself that I defended you.

Overboard statements are overboard. You're almost in troll territory.

Threi

notag
Does Thumb Keyboard have a macro function that let's you quickly type your name/username? And does the app noticeably slow down keyboard operation or is it pretty much the same?
Yes it does, and no the operation of the keyboard is just as fast.

Well, since this is the last day of my warranty period, I just called Staples and returned it for a refund. I'm gonna just buy an iPad 3 later today. Android has been an interesting, but ultimately frustrating experience for me. Beyond the annoying issue with the screen, which I've tried multiple things to alleviate; the strangely laggy Jellybean experience, and poor software ecosystem was the real clincher. I am however, a big fan of the Android UI; I love how open it is, and the flexibility of the home screen. If things look up for the Nexus come next year, I'll probably pick up an 8 GB unit on the cheap cause I do love the form factor.

Cheebo

Banned
Well, since this is the last day of my warranty period, I just called Staples and returned it for a refund. I'm gonna just buy an iPad 3 later today. Android has been an interesting, but ultimately frustrating experience for me. Beyond the annoying issue with the screen, which I've tried multiple things to alleviate; the strangely laggy Jellybean experience, and poor software ecosystem was the real clincher. I am however, a big fan of the Android UI; I love how open it is, and the flexibility of the home screen. If things look up for the Nexus come next year, I'll probably pick up an 8 GB unit on the cheap cause I do love the form factor.

The app ecosytem is really what is killing me too. It has all the essentials, but the stuff I never expected, the really unique apps you randomly discover that do something I never could have thought of is what makes iOS so exciting. The play store really lacks that uniquness and innovation of wild out there apps that you fall in love with. The hardware is fantastic, and jelly bean is in a lot of ways better than iOS. But man the app store is so...boring.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The app ecosytem is really what is killing me too. It has all the essentials, but the stuff I never expected, the really unique apps you randomly discover that do something I never could have thought of is what makes iOS so exciting. The play store really lacks that uniquness and innovation of wild out there apps that you fall in love with. The hardware is fantastic, and jelly bean is in a lot of ways better than iOS. But man the app store is so...boring.
It really is cut and dry coming from iOS and the lack of properly formatted tablet apps reminds me of how much more their ecosystem needs to mature.

JackEtc

Guys.....I have the Nexus 7 16GB in my shopping cart, but I just....I can't click purchase. Someone help push me over the edge.

BFIB

Guys.....I have the Nexus 7 16GB in my shopping cart, but I just....I can't click purchase. Someone help push me over the edge.

If you're looking for a couch web browser, or are interested in digital comics, its worth the price alone.

Mairu

It really is cut and dry coming from iOS and the lack of properly formatted tablet apps reminds me of how much more their ecosystem needs to mature.

I'll probably sell mine when they announce the iPad mini to be honest. I'm liking the device but the weak point is absolutely the apps

JackEtc

If you're looking for a couch web browser, or are interested in digital comics, its worth the price alone.

The couch browser part is tempting.

Is there any way I could use it in a college environment (as a student)? If I could justify it like that, that would be great.

Cheebo

Banned

Is there any way I could use it in a college environment (as a student)? If I could justify it like that, that would be great.

It's more of a consumption device. If you want something for content creation you'd need to go iPad or the upcoming Surface most likely.

It's more of a consumption device. If you want something for content creation you'd need to go iPad or the upcoming Surface most likely.

Even then, I'd rate a common or garden laptop as a far better device for stuff like word processing and spreadsheets. There's still no acceptable substitute for a keyboard.

Mangotron

I have a rooted Nook tablet, I'm not sure if all of this is available on the nexus (it's all through the store so I don't see why not.) but as far as school I use mine as:

Scientific calculator, really nice form factor for this and much easier then using a computer. Saves you $100 by itself if you don't have one.

Document reader. This is especially nice if you don't have a second monitor since you don't have to keep flipping between stuff on your main screen.

Using Google Drive/ Google Docs to keep all your notes with you and updated is really nice.

Massa

You'll need a laptop as well, but having a tablet is great for reading and other things.

Fake edit: Mangotron provided some good examples. But yeah, a tablet is no PC replacement when it comes to content creation.

Top Bottom