• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kehs

Banned
I kinda wish when you were using full screen things, like watching vids, that the 'software buttons' or whatever you call them, would pop up only when you touched the screen.
Technically developers have the option to do so. Its just up to them to update.

I decided to just get rid of them altogether. Lmt + full screen toggle is a great combo.

markot

Banned
Do they? I mean the whole 'bar'. I know that they disappear, and little dots take their place, but I mean having the bar slip away. Its like an extra bezel!

kehs

Banned
Do they? I mean the whole 'bar'. I know that they disappear, and little dots take their place, but I mean having the bar slip away. Its like an extra bezel!
Yea, depends on the app. Fully hidden is new to jellybean, so not everyone has taken advantage of it. Dat fragmentation.

zbeeb

Technically developers have the option to do so. Its just up to them to update.

I decided to just get rid of them altogether. Lmt + full screen toggle is a great combo.

As Copernicus said, its up to developers to take advantage of it. But try the official youtube app, the buttons and bezel disappear completely.

Guys, should I wait for ipad 3 unveil or get Nexus 7 now?

I'm in need of good tablet for videos and book reading purpose.

I've heard ios has far more book selections compared to Android?

Cheebo

Banned
Guys, should I wait for ipad 3 unveil or get Nexus 7 now?

I'm in need of good tablet for videos and book reading purpose.

I've heard ios has far more book selections compared to Android?

Apple will probably reveal it in September which is when they hold their fall conference. If you are unsure wait about a month and see where the market is. The new Kindle Fire will be shown off too.

We will have a very good idea of how the 7 inch tablet market will match up with the Kindle Fire 2, Nexus 7, and iPad mini very soon.

If you are on the fence at all I would hold off a month.

Made myself a cheap DIY sleeve last night from this:

http://www.dollartree.com/Scrub-Buddies-Microfiber-Cleaning-Pads-2-ct-Packs/p309025/index.pro

These padded cloths are just a little larger than the N7. You don't have to do this, but I sewed the corners and the middle edges to hold the two pieces together, leaving a short end open. Then I double-wrapped the whole thing in black duct tape (adheres really well to the microfiber), reinforcing the edges with a border. You can make a foldover tab and loop for the top out of the tape, to keep it closed. The padding is pretty thick, keeping it fairly well protected, and the microfiber inside of the sleeve cleans the screen every time you slide the N7 inside. Took about ten minutes altogether. Costs $1 for a two-pack of these at the Dollar Tree (I guess you have to factor in the duct tape if you don't have any around, haha).

Seik

Banned
Oh, all this time I was asking question in the Android gaming thread on the gaming side, but I wanted specific answers about the Nexus 7 before buying it. Here's da place!

Already bought this, the wait is hard for the moment, every damn retailers I tried to contact are out of stock, so I guess it'll go for next week. :(

So I have a pretty important question here. I saw many videos of people playing emulators on this and it simply looks sweet and fluid, I saw people play NES/SNES/N64/GEN/PSX (but PS1 emulation doesn't seem to be quite ready for this though.) and their emulators seemed to be NESoid,SNESoid,N64oid, GENSoid, etc. After going through a few websites those were mentioned to be the best available. So I borrowed a friend's Android cellphone to check up the store and I can't find any of these. D:

So now I downloaded all of these on my PC and added them in a folder, waiting for my Nexus 7. But are these the best available for my device? If yes, will I need to root my system to be able to install those or its all good?

Can't wait...seriously.

EDIT: Btw if my question feels dumb, it probably is, I never interacted with the Android platform yet.

Seik

Banned
I asked Google about all those factory flaws we're hearing about lately and they answered this.

Hi 'name',

We are aware of the issues some of the devices from the first wave of
shipments has and we are working to address them. If you were to order now
and received a device with one of the issues you mentioned, it's an easy
matter to set you up with an exchange device free of charge.

Thank you for contacting Google. It was my pleasure assisting you today.
If there is anything further we can assist you with, please feel free to
reply directly to this email or visit our help center at
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=hardware

Regards,

Jeff
The Google Play Team

Maybe waiting a week or two is a good move after all, I'll just get more info about emulation/performance in the meantime.

androvsky

Oh, all this time I was asking question in the Android gaming thread on the gaming side, but I wanted specific answers about the Nexus 7 before buying it. Here's da place!

Already bought this, the wait is hard for the moment, every damn retailers I tried to contact are out of stock, so I guess it'll go for next week. :(

So I have a pretty important question here. I saw many videos of people playing emulators on this and it simply looks sweet and fluid, I saw people play NES/SNES/N64/GEN/PSX (but PS1 emulation doesn't seem to be quite ready for this though.) and their emulators seemed to be NESoid,SNESoid,N64oid, GENSoid, etc. After going through a few websites those were mentioned to be the best available. So I borrowed a friend's Android cellphone to check up the store and I can't find any of these. D:

So now I downloaded all of these on my PC and added them in a folder, waiting for my Nexus 7. But are these the best available for my device? If yes, will I need to root my system to be able to install those or its all good?

Can't wait...seriously.

EDIT: Btw if my question feels dumb, it probably is, I never interacted with the Android platform yet.

It's okay, there's a lot of confusion surrounding the "oid" emulators' takedown. I think what happened is the author of them was using code from at least one open source emulator without following the license properly. People have tried asserting it was due to Sony putting pressure on Google because they were getting ready to sell the Xperia Play, but there's plenty of other emulators still on the market (including PS1).

But if you want to install those particular emulators, I think all you have to do is enable installing software from untrusted sources and you're good to go.

Seik

Banned
It's okay, there's a lot of confusion surrounding the "oid" emulators' takedown. I think what happened is the author of them was using code from at least one open source emulator without following the license properly. People have tried asserting it was due to Sony putting pressure on Google because they were getting ready to sell the Xperia Play, but there's plenty of other emulators still on the market (including PS1).

But if you want to install those particular emulators, I think all you have to do is enable installing software from untrusted sources and you're good to go.

Are the 'oids' emulators out there superior to their market counterparts?

If I want those: to install them in my future system, will I need to root it? Or will it just install normally and work after transfering the .apk from my PC?

EDIT: Just checked up the market once again real quick, for playstation there was Fpse which sounds sweet, I don't mind paying for something good that works well. But when I checked for N64 there was one at the top 'epic something' and almost all reviews were saying it was scam and BS because it was full of ads, so N64oid may be a good alternative. In fact when I look for NES/SNES/GEN emulators on the official Google Play page everything seems kind of shitty. :/

Having all those 'oids' emulators side by side would certainly would look better. Only Fpse and the MAME emulator seems worthy on Google Play.

kehs

Banned
I got all excited when I saw duke nukem 3d on the store.

Nostalgia all over the place....and then the touch controls.....omg the touch controls....how do people play games like this?

I understand games with direct input, but games with abstract controls? What a nightmare.

androvsky

If I want those: to install them in my future system, will I need to root it? Or will it just install normally and work after transfering the .apk from my PC?

EDIT: Just checked up the market once again real quick, for playstation there was Fpse which sounds sweet, I don't mind paying for something good that works well. But when I checked for N64 there was one at the top 'epic something' and almost all reviews were saying it was scam and BS because it was full of ads, so N64oid may be a good alternative. In fact when I look for NES/SNES/GEN emulators on the official Google Play page everything seems kind of shitty. :/

Having all those 'oids' emulators side by side would certainly would look better. Only Fpse and the MAME emulator seems worthy on Google Play.

I can't really speak to the relative quality of any of them since I don't like using a touch screen for emulating old systems, but the .emu series (NES.emu, PCE.emu, etc) sound solid from the reviews. As for the N64, Mupen64Plus looks promising. In fact, I just looked up N64oid and it's a port of Mupen64Plus (with an added dynarec), so it's whichever you want apparently.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Interesting:

Instapaper seeing huge increase in downloads since the Nexus 7 launch

We heard earlier in the week about the success the guys at Shifty Jelly have had since the launch of the Nexus 7, but, it seems they're not alone. Mobelux, the developers of the Instapaper app for Android, has shared some of their own numbers. And, much like Shifty Jelly, there has been a definite increase in download numbers since the launch of the Nexus 7.

The figure, is a massive 600% increase in downloads of the app since the date of the Nexus 7 launch. There is of course every chance that the $25 free credit for the Play Store has helped their cause. But it's great to hear stories of developers increased success since the Nexus 7 came to town. An application like Instapaper is something that would naturally suit a 7-inch tablet -- it's a perfect size for reading on after all. The Nexus 7 is the first 7-inch Android tablet -- not counting Amazon's Kindle Fire -- to really capture consumer interest in large numbers, and so far everything is coming up roses.

http://www.androidcentral.com/instapaper-seeing-huge-increase-downloads-nexus-7-launch

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent keyboard/touch lag on the nexus 7? It'd just strike suddenly and won't relent until I reboot the damned thing. it's so frustrating cause typing on my iPhone 4 is a dream, and it almost never skips characters, whereas on the N7, I could skipping characters like crazy, and hitting backspace experiences lag too. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm using Xscope Browser, but reverting to Chrome does not seem to have any effect after the issue crops up

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I really want this tablet but can't seem to find one around town. I'd prefer not to order online. Which stores are soppse to carry them?

This will make a great addition since I already own an iPhone 4s. I will have the best of both worlds.

I really want this tablet but can't seem to find one around town. I'd prefer not to order online. Which stores are soppse to carry them?

This will make a great addition since I already own an iPhone 4s. I will have the best of both worlds.
I don't think any retail stores carry Nexus 7.

Cartman86

Banned

Download the emulators off the web. You can do this through a PC or the web browser on the Nexus 7. You will need to check the "Allow Unknown Sources" box in the Security area of the Settings on the device. If you download the apps from a PC you can transfer them over to the 7 through drag and drop USB, dropbox etc. Though in doing this you will need to download a file manager app from the store. Try Solid Solid Explorer. You use this to locate the apps you downloaded from the PC so you can install them. Android doesn't let you access the file structure by default. Here's a good link for those apps.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Emulation/feature.asp?c=38947

Now for rooting. I would recommend it simply because you will have to erase everything when you do it. So doing it early is smart. If i'm not mistaken the only thing you need root for when playing roms is syncing a six axis controller.

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent keyboard/touch lag on the nexus 7? It'd just strike suddenly and won't relent until I reboot the damned thing. it's so frustrating cause typing on my iPhone 4 is a dream, and it almost never skips characters, whereas on the N7, I could skipping characters like crazy, and hitting backspace experiences lag too. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm using Xscope Browser, but reverting to Chrome does not seem to have any effect after the issue crops up

Android has always had this though I've heard people say the Nexus 7 doesn't. I have it, but my issue is the second half of my touch screen becomes unresponsive and turning off the screen and turning back on fixes it. Are you sure this isn't the issue?

Cartman86

Banned
I'll repost this little guide for rooting I wrote a couple pages back.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1742919

Follow what the first post says. You will be downloading a PC tool that for the most part does everything for you. Also I would first download the latest Nexus 7 4.1.1 update first so you have that before you root. Downloading the update after might cause you to lose root.

REMEMBER that this will void your warranty for most places. However you can unroot and no one will know you ever rooted. Do it at your own risk.

Basically after you install and launch the Root Toolkit you will

1. Select your device.
2. Go through the driver configuration guide. It might seem complicated and full of skipping around, but it will all work out in the end.
3. Backup your data. If you have any data you want to backup like apps etc.
4. Unlock - This will factory reset the device. Deleting all your data.
5. Root
6. Restore data if you backed it up

5ZvAG.jpg

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Google's wisest move in all this was the $25 store credit for the play store. Get newer entrants into Android's ecosystem used to purchasing quality apps and show how frictionless the purchase can be. I've purchased a ton of cheap, quality apps that'll encourage developers to make better tablet apps.

Win-Win!

Dizzan

MINI Member
I want to get my in laws a nexus 7.

Is there a way, in Google books, to hold a word if they don't understand it and have it translated into Polish??

Cartman86

Banned
If i'm not mistaken you can't, you need the stock kernel.

What I want to know is whether a notice of an OTA update pops up if you root.

I've seen other people say they have gotten a pop up after root. Generally as long as you haven't installed a custom rom or a custom recovery (clockwork for example) you will get updates AND you can install them, but yeah you will probably lose root if you take the update.

Seik

Banned
I've seen other people say they have gotten a pop up after root. Generally as long as you haven't installed a custom rom or a custom recovery (clockwork for example) you will get updates AND you can install them, but yeah you will probably lose root if you take the update.

Can I install apps like NESoid,SNESoid,GENSoid, etc etc. without having to root? Because that all I need. :p

Lexxon

Anyone using lmt circle launcher along with GMD Gesture Control? It works fine except the recent apps button doesn't work at all when the bottom bar is hidden via the gesture. Not sure if there's a way to fix that, it if its just related to how the app kills the bar, maybe by killing a system ui service.

adroit

Is there a way, in Google books, to hold a word if they don't understand it and have it translated into Polish??
No. The "Google Play Books" app does not have any dictionary or translation feature. Instead, you have to switch to Chrome (or some other app) to look things up. You have to type the word yourself because you can't copy any of the book text to the clipboard.

Top Bottom