• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Playing around with the iPad 3 right now and I'm really missing the Jellybean UI. Staring at the 4X4 grid system of icons is just depressing, really missing Nova Launcher right now. I don't have a case on it, but damn it's a pretty hefty chunk of metal, the N7 feels a lot more comfortable to hold to me. On the flipside, I have my appstore back, the touch responsiveness is incomparable and the build is the best on market. Well, I guess I'll spend my last night playing around with the N7 before wiping it out and packing it in its box. A shame about some of its shortcomings, I really liked the damn thing :(

Cheebo

Banned
Playing around with the iPad 3 right now and I'm really missing the Jellybean UI. Staring at the 4X4 grid system of icons is just depressing, really missing Nova Launcher right now. I don't have a case on it, but damn it's a pretty hefty chunk of metal, the N7 feels a lot more comfortable to hold to me. On the flipside, I have my appstore back, the touch responsiveness is incomparable and the build is the best on market. Well, I guess I'll spend my last night playing around with the N7 before wiping it out and packing it in its box. A shame about some of its shortcomings, I really liked the damn thing :(
Nexus 7 revision 2 in 2013 maybe?

kehs

Banned

Why not just hold out for the new smaller ipad?

Nexus 7 revision 2 in 2013 maybe?
We'll see, the biggest holdup for me is the software, so we'll see how that shapes up given the alleged success of the N7
Why not just hold out for the new smaller ipad?
I considered it, but these things retain their value so well, I can easily resell it should I find the mini more appealing. I just want a tablet to browse the web and read comics during the interim. That and my birthday was yesterday so... Impulse buy :l

JackEtc

Ive got a laptop for all the content creation you all were mentioning, so I'm good there. I've just always been interested in maybe picking up a tablet as well.

I have a rooted Nook tablet, I'm not sure if all of this is available on the nexus (it's all through the store so I don't see why not.) but as far as school I use mine as:

Scientific calculator, really nice form factor for this and much easier then using a computer. Saves you $100 by itself if you don't have one.

Document reader. This is especially nice if you don't have a second monitor since you don't have to keep flipping between stuff on your main screen.

Using Google Drive/ Google Docs to keep all your notes with you and updated is really nice.

Awesome, great points. You can load PDFs on to it, right? Wonder if I can get some of my textbooks on there...

markot

Banned

bob page

Yeah, I miss Jelly Bean's layout but the app selection on iOS makes every other variable moot. Maybe in a year or two, Android's tablet offerings will be better and I'll dive back in.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, I miss Jelly Bean's layout but the app selection on iOS makes every other variable moot. Maybe in a year or two, Android's tablet offerings will be better and I'll dive back in.

Problem is iOS users are far more likely to pay for an app than a Android user, paid android apps don't do close to as well as they do on iOS. The lack of being able to make money unless you pack the app with ads is what results with a lot of the better small independent app developers remaining iOS-only. I can't see how that business model can suddenly change.

Emily Chu

Banned
Its too heavy to be a real tablet though >.<

yeah I know, my greatest fear... but it's just an idea

but heres my real question with iOS and Android

how come there isn't just a tablet in the x86 CPU configuration in the 300-400$ space that lets me run legit full windows on it ?

I know surface is gonna change all that but thats gonna come with cost of at least an ultrabook price range.

I mean Android won't even support flash sooner or later and thats disconcerting to me as in sideloading a APK would no longer work anways.

heck you can probably run Ubuntu Full OS on a Nexus 7 since it's all just using linux as a base anyway.

Problem is iOS users are far more likely to pay for an app than a Android user, paid android apps don't do close to as well as they do on iOS. The lack of being able to make money unless you pack the app with ads is what results with a lot of the better small independent app developers remaining iOS-only. I can't see how that business model can suddenly change.
That's pretty weird given that the iPad is pretty easy to jailbreak and pirate software from the appstore. Reading comics on the iPad is great cause I dont have to zoom, but using the n7 right now and its a far more comfy device in the hand. Just can't win lol

Emily Chu

Banned
That's pretty weird given that the iPad is pretty easy to jailbreak and pirate software from the appstore. Reading comics on the iPad is great cause I dont have to zoom, but using the n7 right now and its a far more comfy device in the hand. Just can't win lol

maybe a windows 8 surface tablet is the right tablet for us then...

maybe coming in @ a 8" Model

the right size, the right resolution, depending on the weight

and heck I bet you can even emulate most android or iOS apps.

if I had my way, I'd like to dual boot Windows 8 full os and android on my phone... but thats just a silly pipe dream as of now.

"it's not the tablet we need, but the one we deserve..."

bob page

Piracy is much more rampant on Android though- people can download cracked apps without rooting or anything. Hearing stories about the Dead Trigger developer are pretty depressing and certainly don't help the situation.

rozay

Banned
Piracy is much more rampant on Android though- people can download cracked apps without rooting or anything. Hearing stories about the Dead Trigger developer are pretty depressing and certainly don't help the situation.
The timing of that specific story sounded like more of a publicity stunt to pull new users with in-app purchase sales.

bob page

The timing of that story sounded like more of a publicity stunt to pull in-app purchase sales though.

Perhaps, but it was also in the top 10 paid charts on the iOS app store so I doubt they really needed the extra money from another platform.

dwebo

how come there isn't just a tablet in the x86 CPU configuration in the 300-400$ space that lets me run legit full windows on it ? =

an ultra low voltage intel i3/i5 is like >$200 whereas an arm soc like the tegra 3 is closer to $20. that's probably the single biggest reason

tirminyl

Add me to the N7 camp. Picked up a 16gb version as a possible replacement of my 1st gen 16gb WiFi only iPad. I mostly browse the web, check email, take light notes at work but I mostly read. I must say it's very nice to hold.

Emily Chu

Banned
they should have taken lesson from there Asus Infinity pad line and added a stop gap bezel thingy in the nexus 7 would have resulted in no creaks in any nexus 7's

DSC_7625.jpg

see the top upper left theres something inbetween the tablet backing and the bezel itself to hold itself together same as the ipad 3....

theres none of that on the nexus 7...

maybe a revision would be maded a couple of months with this.

I hope.

Cheebo

Banned
they should have taken lesson from there Asus Infinity pad line and added a stop gap bezel thingy in the nexus 7 would have resulted in no creaks in any nexus 7's

DSC_7625.jpg

see the top upper left theres something inbetween the tablet backing and the bezel itself to hold itself together same as the ipad 3....

theres none of that on the nexus 7...

maybe a revision would be maded a couple of months with this.

I hope.

I just saw you a few hours ago in the surface thread basically going "screw iOS and Android I am going Windows 8!"

You change your mind at least a dozen times a day on tablets I think sir.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 looks to be releasing very soon and that looks to be a great content creation device.

it's still going to need app support worth a damn, and seeing as android itself is only barely scraping by on that front it's very unlikely that we'll see many quality developers focus on a specific device. the one and only reason that the ipad works as a creation tool (writing, drawing, music etc) is because of the amazing software available on the platform.

there's no technical reason why the 10.1 couldn't support the same &#8212; its stylus support should theoretically blow ipad drawing apps away &#8212; but it's just not going to happen. there's still nothing anywhere near as good as paper, for example, on the regular galaxy note.

Emily Chu

Banned
I just saw you a few hours ago in the surface thread basically going "screw iOS and Android I am going Windows 8!"

You change your mind at least a dozen times a day on tablets I think sir.

I go with whatever is the flavor of the week tech wise tbh...

or at least talk about it in some capacity

but that being said there are good and bad things to all OS ecosystems.

but that being said, I really hope they can fix this creaking issue.

nothing is really set in stone, "I'm adaptable..."

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
l8oB7.jpg

8GmM7.jpg

iyXTq.jpg

it's still going to need app support worth a damn, and seeing as android itself is only barely scraping by on that front it's very unlikely that we'll see many quality developers focus on a specific device. the one and only reason that the ipad works as a creation tool (writing, drawing, music etc) is because of the amazing software available on the platform.

there's no technical reason why the 10.1 couldn't support the same &#8212; its stylus support should theoretically blow ipad drawing apps away &#8212; but it's just not going to happen. there's still nothing anywhere near as good as paper, for example, on the regular galaxy note.

Nope. Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop and Quill are already on there. The fact that the note has pressure sensitivity and at the very least, those apps, means that it already blows any other tablet out so far in terms of drawing.

it's still going to need app support worth a damn, and seeing as android itself is only barely scraping by on that front

there's no technical reason why the 10.1 couldn't support the same — its stylus support should theoretically blow ipad drawing apps away — but it's just not going to happen. there's still nothing anywhere near as good as paper, for example, on the regular galaxy note.

I would argue that Sketch Book Pro fills in that gap quite nicely.

dwebo

Can I use offline maps to do turn by turn directions? If so, how?

you have to get the directions while you still have an internet connection. it'll still give you turn by turn when you're offline, but if you deviate from the route it won't recalculate. if you get back onto the route, though, it'll work again

better than nothing, I suppose

markot

Banned
So those cases dont have the magnetses? I am guessing a certain company has a patent on the aforementioned >.>? Guess it wouldnt be too bad without but it would be better with.

Cartman86

Banned
Just ordered my mother one and I'm trying to figure out a case situation fast, because she will need one for sure. Trying to find a case that doesn't cover the bezels (at least not fully) as it creates issues with moving icons around and other touch screen problems that I don't want to scare her away with. This is going to be my grand experiment to get her to learn how to use electronics. She's in her 40's so it's not like she's old, but when she got her phone I set it up for her and because of that I don't think she tries to do anything "adventurous." This time she's going to learn it herself dammit! Anyways anyone know of any that are journal/book like and have the auto sleep too? Something like this I guess. It's the best i've found though I wish I could get a different color. I'll probably just have to get a cheap one to start with.

41zbi8vVIwL.jpg

Haha, they seriously want $50 for that piece of plastic with ports in it.

I wish they had a smart cover screen protector. I prefer my N7 as bare as possible, and don't think the back need protection at all, but I would like to cover the screen when I'm not using it. That homemade sleeve works okay, but it would be a lot more convenient to just flip a cover back and forth.

Haha, they seriously want $50 for that piece of plastic with ports in it.

I wish they had a smart cover screen protector. I prefer my N7 as bare as possible, and don't think the back need protection at all, but I would like to cover the screen when I'm not using it. That homemade sleeve works okay, but it would be a lot more convenient to just flip a cover back and forth.
I honestly think the tablet is fine just bare. A padded sleeve like the timbuk2 ones would be good for when you're taking it out and about though, otherwise it feels real nice just using it bare. A hell of a lot nicer than the chunky and angular iPad 3 anyway.

davidnic

I honestly think the tablet is fine just bare. A padded sleeve like the timbuk2 ones would be good for when you're taking it out and about though, otherwise it feels real nice just using it bare. A hell of a lot nicer than the chunky and angular iPad 3 anyway.

I agree, but if I see a case I like I will buy it. Just for some protection.

Oh man I flubbed the restore process. I mistakenly thought that selecting restore to factory settings would revert the tablet back to stock, but when I rebooted it to make sure, it had the unlock symbol at the bottom and worse, I have no damned soft buttons cause I installed the fullscreen hack :l Blargh. Hopped on Google, and and am downloading this tool here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Hopefully this can flash it back to its stock form :/

Angst

I hate this argument and in my opinion it's mostly based on iOS developer's experience:

1. Release a nifty new app on iOS, follow all the iOS UI guidelines -> iOS users buy it.
2. Support the iOS app with frequent updates
3. Wait 6 months (at this time similar apps are release on the Play Store, see Pocket vs Instapaper)
4. Release Android version that follow the iOS UI guidelines and lacks some nice new functions from the iOS app
5. Don't support the Android app.
6. ???
7. Blog post on why Android users don't buy apps.

Or in the case of Dead Trigger, mentioned above:

1. Release a $1 game with nice graphics
2. Users get pissed when they have to do in-app purchases (on top of buying the game) just to be able to progress in the game
3. Blog post on why games don't sell on Android - game is now "Free"

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Just ordered my mother one and I'm trying to figure out a case situation fast, because she will need one for sure. Trying to find a case that doesn't cover the bezels (at least not fully) as it creates issues with moving icons around and other touch screen problems that I don't want to scare her away with. This is going to be my grand experiment to get her to learn how to use electronics. She's in her 40's so it's not like she's old, but when she got her phone I set it up for her and because of that I don't think she tries to do anything "adventurous." This time she's going to learn it herself dammit! Anyways anyone know of any that are journal/book like and have the auto sleep too? Something like this I guess. It's the best i've found though I wish I could get a different color. I'll probably just have to get a cheap one to start with.

41zbi8vVIwL.jpg
I just received this in the mail. The smartcover magnet is too strong, such that bending the cover back will turn the device back off (!!). Moko and Poetic sent out emails last week saying they're sending out free replacements. You may have ordered late enough that you will have a fixed case to start. I took a knife and dug out the magnet. Anyone looking for a $5 Nexus case sans smart-cover in the continental US, PM me! ;p

The case is great for the price. Adds a bit of thickness and some slight heft, but it's all solid padding that makes it likely your nexus would even survive a tumble down a staircase. The horizontal stand works as advertised, as does the elastic hand strap on the front cover. The strap works better on the iPad 3 cases since the device is larger and heavier, but still functions well enough here. And as you can see from the pics there's a little elastic band near the rocker switch for a stylus.

angle2case.jpg

anglecase.jpg

backcase.jpg

opencase.jpg

styluscase.jpg

Seik

Banned
Does anybody here extensively used the device without experiencing any kind of creacking, screen popping, dead pixels or whatever?

The way people talks here sometimes feels like ALL N7 will do it eventually. =_=

Slime

Banned
Does anybody here extensively used the device without experiencing any kind of creacking, screen popping, dead pixels or whatever?

The way people talks here sometimes feels like ALL N7 will do it eventually. =_=

Mine had several dead pixels and a loose, creaking screen. Brought it back to Staples yesterday and got my money back.

Going to look for another one today. If it still has problems, I'm returning it again and waiting a couple weeks.

Cheebo

Banned
How in the world do you right click in chrome on this thing? As in being able to select to open a link in a new tab/copy picture/copy link url...etc. on iOS you just hold down on the link/picture/etc to bring up the options. I can't seem to figure it out on the N7.

Salaadin

How in the world do you right click in chrome on this thing? As in being able to select to open a link in a new tab/copy picture/copy link url...etc. on iOS you just hold down on the link/picture/etc to bring up the options. I can't seem to figure it out on the N7.

It should be the same. Push and hold.

markot

Banned

Mine is fine, no problem at all >.< And I checked! (I always expect to find some little thing that bugs me constantly when I buy something new)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Had mine since the beginning and haven't had any issues.

Top Bottom