• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Seik

Banned
Mine is fine, no problem at all >.< And I checked! (I always expect to find some little thing that bugs me constantly when I buy something new)

Thanks, well, I guess I'll grab one real soon, the wait is killing me. Worst case scenario: I'll have to trade it, but man I hope not, this would kill the hype and my 'trust' for the product.

Its just that I heard maaaany things about factory flaws, but maybe all of those are isolated cases from a first batch.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A buddy of mine ordered one of these and exchanged it because of a screen defect. Google sent him back two replacements. If the unthinkable happens and they let him keep the second one, I'm going to split the cost of his original order with him and get one for half price.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Total noob here so this might be a silly question. But can you read books you buy from Amazon on this and watch movies you bought from Amazon Prime or do you need a kindle for that?

Angst

Total noob here so this might be a silly question. But can you read books you buy from Amazon on this and watch movies you bought from Amazon Prime or do you need a kindle for that?

No problem with Kindle books
No go with Amazon prime (unless there is some hacked XDA apk that I'm unaware of)

Tattooth

I am ready to order one of these today, but I am unsure which size to get.
I will mostly be using it for emulators and some android games. Some of the ps1 games are quite large, which makes me think I should get a 16gb one but I don't want get more storage than I need, since I did that for my iPad and ended up regretting it.

Seik

Banned
I am ready to order one of these today, but I am unsure which size to get.
I will mostly be using it for emulators and some android games. Some of the ps1 games are quite large, which makes me think I should get a 16gb one but I don't want get more storage than I need, since I did that for my iPad and ended up regretting it.

We're in the same basket man!

I'll go with a 16Gb, FF7 alone is almost 2Gb, if not more. Shit will get loaded quickly with all these PS1 RPGs. :p

With a 16GB you get about 13GB free space. With an 8GB you get around 6 (5.92 exactly, I believe). Go for the 16GB if you can afford it or don't intend to root/unlock the 8GB and use a USB OTG cable to enable external storage. It's better to have it and not need all of it than to constantly be shuffling things on and off a hard drive or cloud storage.

Zeth

Depends on usage. I'm totally fine with 8gb but I also have a phone and iPad with 80gb combined storage. If you're a digital pack rat though, forget it.

also for $50 more its a good value. They only had the 8gb when I got one and I'm impatient.

As for defects, I don't know if I consider it a defect but I do have a very slight creaking (it's more of a barely audible "click," really, you have to hold it pretty close to your ear to hear it) when I grip it on the sides. The screen appears level and doesn't poke above the border, so it doesn't bother me. To be honest, every device built with a plastic case that I've ever used has had some sort of flex. My HP Touchpad flexed all over the place.

Zeth

My screen makes a barely audible sound of flexing plastic but I wouldn't call it a creak. Also I'm not actively pressing the edges to inspect it. I think a lot of people might be dislodging their screens as a result of defect-paranoia. Just a hunch. This kind of thing happens with so many products. Hope they resolve any issues soon though.

Seik

Banned
My screen makes a barely audible sound of flexing plastic but I wouldn't call it a creak. Also I'm not actively pressing the edges to inspect it. I think a lot of people might be dislodging their screens as a result of defect-paranoia. Just a hunch. This kind of thing happens with so many products. Hope they resolve any issues soon though.

Hope I won't be a victim of this, because that's my kind. :(

bob page

It's not really like people are punching the screen with their fists. With normal pressing, a creak and/or spongy feel occurs- definitely shouldn't happen on a device that's made specifically for touching. Asus hardware is known to have creaking issues though, so it's not really a surprise.

sca2511

Does anybody here extensively used the device without experiencing any kind of creacking, screen popping, dead pixels or whatever?

The way people talks here sometimes feels like ALL N7 will do it eventually. =_=

Nothing wrong with mine or my girlfriends. Almost perfect, just that damn Comixology guided view bug.

Izick

Nothing wrong with mine or my girlfriends. Almost perfect, just that damn Comixology guided view bug.

How long have you had it?

The reason I think all of them do, or will do it down the road, is because it seems to be an inherent flaw with how the thing is put together. A problem across the board. It's not like it's a dead pixel where something accidentally went astray, these are just built wrong. Whether it's the screws not being tight enough or whatever.

sca2511

The reason I think all of them do, or will do it down the road, is because it seems to be an inherent flaw with how the thing is put together. A problem across the board. It's not like it's a dead pixel where something accidentally went astray, these are just built wrong. Whether it's the screws not being tight enough or whatever.

I've preordered the 16gb from Staples, delivered on or around the 17th. Didn't get to play with it till the 23rd, was on a trip. I hear no creaking, color's don't appear to be warm, no dead pixels, seems like everything works as it should. I got my girlfriend an 8gb last week from Staples retail and there are no apparent issues, same experience as mine.

Threi

notag
Does anybody here extensively used the device without experiencing any kind of creacking, screen popping, dead pixels or whatever?

The way people talks here sometimes feels like ALL N7 will do it eventually. =_=

Nothing wrong with mine.

Have been using it constantly (charging it daily) since I got it (on the 19th)

So no "it hasn't broke yet, it will soon" or "you haven't used it enough"

mine (as well as other people's) tablets are fine.

period.

I'm sure that there are a few defective units out there (it's ASUS of course) but equating that to being a latent hardware problem in every single tablet is beyond silly.

*edit* this is coming from someone who has consistently been burned on ASUS products in particular. 3 Motherboard replacements (and it then died on me when the warranty expired), 2 Video card replacements, 3 Netbook replacements. All for hardware defects. I am not above returning this tablet if i ever had a problem with it.

Izick

I've preordered the 16gb from Staples, delivered on or around the 17th. Didn't get to play with it till the 23rd, was on a trip. I hear no creaking, color's don't appear to be warm, no dead pixels, seems like everything works as it should. I got my girlfriend an 8gb last week from Staples retail and there are no apparent issues, same experience as mine.

Just give it a while before you get too excited. Mine took a week before I noticed anything, and then the creak was only small.

sca2511

I've been using it everyday, frequently and it works as I expect. It's unfortunate for people to run into bad batches, but I'm sure the fully functional, defect free Nexus 7s outnumber them. I'd assume that the scenario happens with gadgets frequently. Not sure where the excitement plays into this.

Mine arrives tomorrow. I got mine from radio shack last week since it was only 16gb I could find in stock. If something were to be defective could I contact Google for replacement or would I need to contact radio shack?

So I bit the bullet as a birthday present/celebration on getting a new job present. 16 gig directly from Google. Does Google usually ship it within two days as they said they would?

Also I'm excited. I was thinking about waiting for the iPad mini, but being that there is some questions whether it is coming out this year or not, I figure I'd just bite and buy the best 7 inch tablet out there. Gonna be odd going from iPhone to 7 extensively haha.

So I bit the bullet as a birthday present/celebration on getting a new job present. 16 gig directly from Google. Does Google usually ship it within two days as they said they would?

Also I'm excited. I was thinking about waiting for the iPad mini, but being that there is some questions whether it is coming out this year or not, I figure I'd just bite and buy the best 7 inch tablet out there. Gonna be odd going from iPhone to 7 extensively haha.

That's how it was for me exactly. Going from iPhone to Nexus is a bit of an adjustment, but the device feels very nice in your hands, and the increase in screen real estate is awesome. At the same time the tablet is very much so portable, which I can't say the same for the new iPad I got. There are some OS wide quibbles you'll have with Jellybean coming from iOS, but overall, I grew to really enjoy the UI. Coupled with Nova Launcher, it made the iPad UI seem incredibly sterile by comparison. I just had issues with its seemingly intermittent lag on the touch screen and the keyboard, and some issues with highlighting that drove me screwy.

Software ecosystem is pretty underwhelming coming from ios; but as long as you've got your phone it's all good

Seik

Banned
Aw man I'm going crazy, contacted every single FS/Staples around my place and they're all out of stock. :(

Guess I'll do it the google way and pay the extra 20$ for shipping...I would feel safer buying from a retailer though.

That's how it was for me exactly. Going from iPhone to Nexus is a bit of an adjustment, but the device feels very nice in your hands, and the increase in screen real estate is awesome. At the same time the tablet is very much so portable, which I can't say the same for the new iPad I got. There are some OS wide quibbles you'll have with Jellybean coming from iOS, but overall, I grew to really enjoy the UI. Coupled with Nova Launcher, it made the iPad UI seem incredibly sterile by comparison. I just had issues with its seemingly intermittent lag on the touch screen and the keyboard, and some issues with highlighting that drove me screwy.

Software ecosystem is pretty underwhelming coming from ios; but as long as you've got your phone it's all good

Awesome man, thanks for the impressions. All around though you dig the device?

Seik

Banned
I'd check Radio shack. Or walmart three local walmarts close by had them in stock

Canada here, Staples/Futureshop are all out of stock and the Radio Shack (Which became La Source here) doesn't have any. Tried Wal-Mart but it seems they don't even have this one for Canada...So...That's that!

I was just about to buy it via google, but that +20$ for shipping just breaks my psychological barrier of a descent price. I'll wait...but the wait is growing painful. =_=

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

and you know this how? i use the device extensively daily since it arrived weeks ago and i've not come across any hardware failure or defect personally. my friends and coworkers who eventually got the device haven't either.

it's a $200 device that's being sold at cost. have you seen the build quality of laptops costing 3x that price?

markot

Banned
My 3ds creaked when I got it, I tightened one of the screws and it went away >.<

Sometimes things go wrong in production, sometimes, even screws arent screwed hard enough.

Slime

Banned
Got a new one today. No creak, but this one has an infuriatingly distracting dead pixel smack dab in the exact middle of the screen. At least the worst one on my other one was off to the lower right, but this one is like a magnet. I can't stop looking at it.

I actually wish it had a loose screen. Would have made it easier to return. Hope I'm not stuck with this one.

3phemeral

Ordered a 16 GB for my mom. Supposedly ships in 3-5 days. How long did it take for those of you who ordered the 16GB to receive it?

Seik

Banned
Got a new one today. No creak, but this one has an infuriatingly distracting dead pixel smack dab in the exact middle of the screen. At least the worst one on my other one was off to the lower right, but this one is like a magnet. I can't stop looking at it.

I actually wish it had a loose screen. Would have made it easier to return. Hope I'm not stuck with this one.

Aw crap, well, I'd exchange it again and ask to fucking check the next one correctly give them my respects.

A dead pixel is always a good reason to exchange imo, its the worst thing, especially on a tablet like that.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
My replacement shipped earlier today. Is supposed to be here tomorrow; I'm hoping for the best.

Google's customer service is great and I have no malice towards them, nor towards Asus, but if this replacement is bad in any major way, I'm just gonna have to say forget it on the Nexus 7 and get a refurbished Kindle for $69 for reading until Amazon announces their new Kindle Fire...or for the iPad Mini. Cause when a replacement product is defective, there's a problem, and the shipping game is not worth it.

Can Nexus 7 run CPS3 emulator?
The pics in Mame4droid would seem to suggest that it could since there's a shot of it playing SF III. I haven't been able to get it running any CPS III games however, but ROM sets are notoriously frustrating to get up and running. CPS II is no problem
Awesome man, thanks for the impressions. All around though you dig the device?
Yeah, definitely. For my needs, which was surfing, netflix, email, comics and occasional gaming via emulation it was great. I'm sure they will address the lag issue with subsequent patches, but when it strikes, it can be pretty annoying, I'm not sure if it afflicts everyone, but it has happened to more than a few folks on here. That just leaves the software ecosystem, which might be looking up since Google seems to be selling these things like gangbusters, and will only improve if the iPad mini rumor doesn't pan out. Even if it does, it's a solid competitor either way. I just love the feel of the device and the form factor. It's got the footprint of a paperback, which is awesome

Why wouldn't you just use portrait orientation? It's big enough and there's no need to scroll unless it's a two-page spread
Some comics or manga doesn't have high quality or correct size for portrait, so using landscape would be the only option to view them.

Don't use Perfect Viewer like he is using. I've tried a few apps that people recommended here early on and ComicRack is the best one that I've used. Scrolling/page transitions/zooming is all very smooth.
What about viewing comic or manga from the site, not using any apps?

Top Bottom