• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Are there actually any apps for manga like comixology?

Still on the fence for this.

Dark Horse and Viz have apps, although Viz's is phone-only as I frustratingly found out on my Nexus 7 the other day. >:/

The Dark Horse app requires you purchase through the website, which I haven't done yet, but I believe it can be used to read them. It's Holo-ish too, which is nice.

Just let you guys know, Nexus 7 16gb is $249 instead of $299 at staples.

I don't see any reason why people would buy it from google.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
More official cases:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2012/08/five-official-google-nexus-7-accessories-coming-soon-to-mobile-fun/

oVu4k.jpg

4tz4N.jpg

huESO.jpg

x62D2.jpg

TMxIb.jpg

Chris R

I'm honestly thinking about selling my iPad to pick one of these up. Does the Nexus have enough power to be a good portable emulation solution? Asking because homebrew on the Vita doesn't seem to be moving along as quickly as I'd like it to... I'm guessing the Nexus syncs up just fine to a sixaxis controller with the newfangled ICS bluetooth controller stuff that I wish my phone had.

JackEtc

I'm honestly thinking about selling my iPad to pick one of these up. Does the Nexus have enough power to be a good portable emulation solution? Asking because homebrew on the Vita doesn't seem to be moving along as quickly as I'd like it to... I'm guessing the Nexus syncs up just fine to a sixaxis controller with the newfangled ICS bluetooth controller stuff that I wish my phone had.

Ooooh, I'd also like to know this. If this could be a good emulation platform, I think I'd definitely get one.

You'll have to root in order to connect a blutooth controller, but after that, it's all gravy. I'm not sure what the battery life is, since mine was plugged in a lot before I returned it. I never ran the battery down, but the claims of 9/10 hours usage time claimed by the media seemed dubious to me. I felt like the battery was closer to 6/7 hours while doing light activities like surfing and reading comics. Never did anything intensive, I only played like maybe 5 minutes of Dead Trigger lol

And I was able to emulate CPS II and SNES games with ease. MVC and MS vs. C ran very smoothly. Never tried PS1 though

Seik

Banned

If you don't want to root, the PS3 controller can work when plugged in the N7.

If you want wireless bluetooth you'll have to root.

Can't wait to try it with emulation myself, those videos on youtube aren't enough for me.

JackEtc

The Walmart website is listing in-store pickup at my local store as "As soon as TODAY", so I'm guessing that means they have them in stock.

Really tempted to go get one, but I'm concerned that I'll get a defective one and will then have trouble returning/exchanging it....anyone bought one from Walmart? Is their exchange/return policy alright?

mrNTE

I ordered mine today from UK Google play store.
I will be reading this thread while I wait for the device, starting at page one.
+subscribed

Wow, the Facebook app for android tablets is garbage. It is better to use the browser version.

MUHAHAHAHA MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fuck the facebook app iOS or Android. The guy that wrote the iOS facebook app quit over how poorly his company supported it.

bob page

Why don't you just jailbreak your iPad? Emulators run great on my iPad 2.

W1SSY

Just picked one up from Walmart. Mine had about ten in stock and I imagine that they had just got them in recently.

Seik

Banned
Its done, I pre-ordered mine at Staples...at this rate, not pre-ordering would just drive me in an infinite 'out of stock' vortex which would have resulted in my insanity.

Please no lemon, please no lemon.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Just opened up my replacement. No creaking. And I just put it side by side with my first N7, and it's a lot less yellow! Huzzah! Let's hope I don't get any problems, but so far I'm happy.

Vyer

Can anyone with kids tell me how the options are for kids games/educational apps? If I get one I'd like my son to be able to make use of it but just glancing through the Play Store online and it seems a little bare.

markot

Banned
Can anyone with kids tell me how the options are for kids games/educational apps? If I get one I'd like my son to be able to make use of it but just glancing through the Play Store online and it seems a little bare.

Well, there are tonnes of games that they love. There are interactive books... etc...

I've got the ned flanders diddley look on when i think about this tablet. Think i'll grab one next month once the early adoption craze settles.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wait a minute...so you're telling me that if I download a map of my state for offline availability, I can use my Nexus 7 for navigation when I'm out and about full time? And it'll give me all the features of regular Google Maps (alternate routes, etc.)?

Vyer

Too big, and I'd be able to use the $350 price difference for other things since my iPad is just sitting around now.

So it's just the size? Otherwise I'd say if you dont use a tablet for anything anyway then you might as well just sell and save your $550.

Well, there are tonnes of games that they love. There are interactive books... etc...

Which games are your kids liking? I'd like to have some loaded and ready if I buy.

bob page

Wait a minute...so you're telling me that if I download a map of my state for offline availability, I can use my Nexus 7 for navigation when I'm out and about full time? And it'll give me all the features of regular Google Maps (alternate routes, etc.)?
GPS signal doesn't use a data connection- if you have the maps stored on the device, it'll use the GPS to navigate them (it's like this on most phones and tablets).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
GPS signal doesn't use a data connection- if you have the maps stored on the device, it'll use the GPS to navigate them (it's like this on most phones and tablets).
Mind blown. Hell yeah!

Edit: Mind not so blown. Can't do any navigation within downloaded area :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You'll have to root in order to connect a blutooth controller, but after that, it's all gravy.

Not entirely true. If you want to use a PS3 controller wirelessly you'll need to root, yes, but a Wiimote works perfectly on an unrooted device (you just need a simple app to connect it and set it up). Not sure why this difference is, but there you go. Of course, a Wiimote is not very useful for anything more advanced than NES and GB/GBC games.

No, it pulls all that data from the Internet, so that won't work. If you start navigation and calculate the route before going off Wi-Fi, navigation for that specific route should still work without data, but anything requiring new information won't.

Mairu

I got my replacement Poetic Hardback Case from Exact-Deal/Amazon. Now instead of being too powerful a magnet it either doesn't have a magnet at all or it's not powerful enough, because it never does anything either putting to sleep or waking up :(

So how do you store maps on this thing? I'd love to use it as a GPS because it has a much better battery life than my work phone (Incredible 2).

teiresias

So how do you store maps on this thing? I'd love to use it as a GPS because it has a much better battery life than my work phone (Incredible 2).

As was said above, even if you store the maps offline, the actual routing engine is in the cloud and requires a data connection. So, if you calculate a route and then leave your WiFi area then you're fine, but you better not miss any turns because the minute it tries to calculate a new route it will fail (and I'm not sure if it loses the old route as soon as it does that or not).

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
As was said above, even if you store the maps offline, the actual routing engine is in the cloud and requires a data connection. So, if you calculate a route and then leave your WiFi area then you're fine, but you better not miss any turns because the minute it tries to calculate a new route it will fail (and I'm not sure if it loses the old route as soon as it does that or not).

Sounds sucky when driving, but would be fantastic on foot. ^_^

Mairu

For people who bought this through Google Play, how long did it take to deliver?

I ordered on July 15 and got the notification that it was shipping on the 19th... and it arrived on the 19th. The UPS tracking did say it had shipped on the 18th so, but all in all it was quick.

3phemeral

Mind blown. Hell yeah!

Edit: Mind not so blown. Can't do any navigation within downloaded area :(

I put my Nexus in airplane mode all the time while using the Navigation and it works with the offline maps perfectly. Especially helpful when I'm navigating through the mountains and have no reception anyway.

Vyer

So yeah if you're looking to walk into a store and pick one up Walmart is definitely a great option. Local store had like 12 sitting in their case.

i59sjANhBoWsl.JPG

Top Bottom