• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Vyer

Can I touch it?

sigh. fine.

*pulls it out*

EDIT:

Ok, a few questions.

Is there another place in the Settings where I would look at something for the light sensor? The screen seems to be doing a lot of weird stuff and it was auto adjusting a little too crazy. I went to turn it off but after I did it got *really* washed out and stayed that way until I reset a few times.

In general colors seem pretty washed out.

Also, it seems like ghosting/image retention is really bad on this screen. It seems to fade away after a while but it's pretty noticeable. I'd tried playing the Transformers movie for the hell of it and after a few minutes exited out and it retained the white block of the video in the center for quite a while.

Is this stuff normal or do I have a dud?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
As an aside, I've been using the device constantly since I opened it. With a proper screen and no creaking, this thing is just freaking AWESOME! $200 well spent, easily.
I put my Nexus in airplane mode all the time while using the Navigation and it works with the offline maps perfectly. Especially helpful when I'm navigating through the mountains and have no reception anyway.
Hmm; when I put it in Airplane mode, it will not let me navigate (even within the downloaded area) as it says "Cannot complete action without data connection".

Vyer

Well, fuck. I just woke it back up and it's got that weird gray tint to everything again like it did when the auto brightness was going wonky. Even factory reset just for the hell of it and it still looks like shit.

ibmMdGz4QoNkYR.JPG

It was even flickering as it was coming back up. Guess I'm going to go back and exchange.

>:[

teiresias

Well, fuck. I just woke it back up and it's got that weird gray tint to everything again like it did when the auto brightness was going wonky. Even factory reset just for the hell of it and it still looks like shit.

ibmMdGz4QoNkYR.JPG

It was even flickering as it was coming back up. Guess I'm going to go back and exchange.

>:[

When you get a replacement you may want to try Lux Auto Brightness as a replacement for any stock brightness adjustment. Not sure if the Nexus 7 actually has a light sensor, but you should be able to use front camera for the app to determine the ambient light level for brightness changes.

Lux Auto Brightness

I swear by Lux on my Galaxy S3, and I think the paid version is worth the modest price for the added functionality of lower brightness levels (what they call sub-zero), and being able to do more dynamic links.

Vyer

I don't always go to Walmart,
but when I do, it's to exchange a Nexus 7 at 10:30 at night.

Back and up and running. Honestly the more I think about it the more it seems my problems started after running the 4.1.1 update that's available. Now I'm all paranoid about it.

Also, thanks for the info teiresias.

To the guys that got replacements. Did you keep both charges and cables or did you send your old one back? My friend told me that he was allowed to keep both charger and cable and just send the unit back.

Ugh so my replacement unit has the screen separation issue too! Yes I know there is a quick fix for it but it didnt work on my first one as the screen lift/creaking came back a few days later!

I love this thing but damn am I tired of these problems that its having for everyone.

Danj

So yeah if you're looking to walk into a store and pick one up Walmart is definitely a great option. Local store had like 12 sitting in their case.

Does anyone know if there are any UK stores with stock of them? PC World and Currys seem to have run out, and Carphone Warehouse don't seem to have a way to check store stock on their website.

Does anyone know if there are any UK stores with stock of them? PC World and Currys seem to have run out, and Carphone Warehouse don't seem to have a way to check store stock on their website.

HMV? Our local store had a sign in the window saying they were in stock.

Husker86

As was said above, even if you store the maps offline, the actual routing engine is in the cloud and requires a data connection. So, if you calculate a route and then leave your WiFi area then you're fine, but you better not miss any turns because the minute it tries to calculate a new route it will fail (and I'm not sure if it loses the old route as soon as it does that or not).

What if you buy Navigon? Then everything is local (though that's gonna take a decent chunk of the Nexus 7's already limited storage).

Just saw this on Uncrate: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/286387158/out-of-print-ebook-jackets-for-ipad-kindle-fire

Out of Print E-Book Jackets

out-of-print-jacket.jpg

Retail: $40 - $45

We're generally fans of eBooks — the convenience factor far outweighs any missed tactile experience — but we do lament the slow, agonizing death of proper book covers. Out of Print eBook Jackets ($40-$45) seek to solve this dilemma by wrapping your Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, or iPad in cover art from literary classics. Thanks to the fact that they're made like real books with book board and cloth, they feel just like real books, which is far more than we can say for the aluminum/plastic build of your tablet.

Not that one couldn't do a low tech version of this themselves, but I thought I'd share anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I want a comic version. A Long Halloween cover would be so dope.

Otherwise the solid color versions are nice, but expensive overall. Think I'll keep my $4 faux leather lie-case right now.

I got mine from radioshack yesterday so far its been perfect no dead pixels or cracking. Question thought is anyone running a custom rom yet and if so which has been the best?

Mairu

I got my replacement Poetic Hardback Case from Exact-Deal/Amazon. Now instead of being too powerful a magnet it either doesn't have a magnet at all or it's not powerful enough, because it never does anything either putting to sleep or waking up :(

And now they're sending me a third case! Wheeeee

JackEtc

Got a call from the Apple store tonight, saying I could drop off my laptop for the display replacement tomorrow. Since I'm leaving for the beach for a week on Saturday, that means all I'll have with me is my 4S, no other tech.

I really want a Nexus 7, but I'm still having trouble convincing myself, buuuuuut.....I think that might have finally cracked me. I think I might go to Walmart tomorrow and get one. Hnnnnnng

kehs

Banned
The stock browser I side loaded keeps crashing more and more

=(

I don't want to use chrome without quick controls.

Vyer

Sometimes when going into the Play Store it doesn't think I'm connected. I'll hit 'retry' and it will load just fine. Odd and annoying.

So no 8GBs at wal mart right? I was thinking of getting my dad one and I know he doesnr't really need the 16

mine only had 16s.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh I'm really breaking down to buy it. We only get 16gb here in AUS though at $318.

Is there any good showcase cooking apps/books?

Top Bottom