• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Doesn't look like Staples in the UK sells the Nexus at all :(

I was about to say the usual Dixons/Currys/Pc World gubbins but it seems they're only selling the 16gb model. Maplins don't seem to be stocking them either.

Maybe it's the UK where the 8gb is limited to just the Play Store?

Seik

Banned
I really, really hope my staples will get a new batch today, I call them 2 times a day since I pre-ordered. I want that shit before week-end! D:

teiresias

Oh damn, you're right. I got this program during the $0.10 sale. Do you know how to change the highlighting colour? Bleh green..

Sorry, haven't used it enough for that to know the menus well enough. Last time I tried it mine defaulted to black though, not green.

Along those same lines had anyone used a Jot or Dagi stylus on one of these?

I think we're now at a point where there are enough Nexus 7's out there for developers to start looking at the platform from a serious angle.
Just this week we've seen Comixology add support, Kairosoft updating their games, and EA starting to add titles to the marketplace.

Hopefully we'll soon be at a point where all market titles are compatible.

Fantasmo

Got a Poetic smart cover case yesterday. Works like a charm, no problem with folding it back. Must have worked out the quirks

Question to UK-Nexus 7 GAF: I'll be in Scotland in a week, so I thought about buying a Nexus there. Is the device being sold anywhere in Edinburgh or Aberdeen and do these stores actually have it in stock? And is there some kind of worldwide warranty for Google products (like with Apple) or would I have to send it back to the UK in case it breaks?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Just dropping back in to say I love this device. I am a 7" form factor convert, at least as far as consumption is concerned.

Few pages back someone showed that the perfect viewer lagged when reading down the page what caused this? I have used both that and comic rack and haven't experienced no lag.

JackEtc

Well, I cracked. Typing this on my Nexus 7. Like it a lot so far, I don't think I see any defects either.

EDIT: Shit, I I think I see some ghosting....fuck....can I just run right back to walmart and exchange it already?

EDIT2: I did more reading, is it "ghosting" or "image retention"? Is it even a defect? I'm so confused, I don't know if I should return/exchange it or not.

Salaadin

Recieved my Moko replacement today that supposedly fixes the magnet fold around cover issue. The magnet feels more raised or something. Maybe its far enough away now that it doesnt affect it.

JackEtc

Can anyone confirm that the ghosting/image retention thing is/is not a defect? Some places I'm reading are saying it's just something that comes with using that sort of screen, others are saying it's a defect. All I know is is that it's pretty prevalent, any image left on screen for even a few SECONDS leaves a ghost.

Does everyone have this issue on their N7? Or is it worth going to Walmart and exchanging it?

Vyer

Battery life seems pretty solid. Really gor a lot of use last night. I'm noticing the app thing though, as it seems this version of Comixology apparently lacks some of the navigation features i like in the iOS version, like scrolling through all of the available issues of a title when on its page.

Well, I cracked. Typing this on my Nexus 7. Like it a lot so far, I don't think I see any defects either.

EDIT: Shit, I I think I see some ghosting....fuck....can I just run right back to walmart and exchange it already?

EDIT2: I did more reading, is it "ghosting" or "image retention"? Is it even a defect? I'm so confused, I don't know if I should return/exchange it or not.

My first unit had a fucked up screen, second much better. But the retention or whatever is present on both. :( Just was a LOT worse on the bad one.

Cipherr

I think we're now at a point where there are enough Nexus 7's out there for developers to start looking at the platform from a serious angle.
Just this week we've seen Comixology add support, Kairosoft updating their games, and EA starting to add titles to the marketplace.

Hopefully we'll soon be at a point where all market titles are compatible.

Yep, really good signs. Nexus line doing what none of the other HW manufacturers could do on their own. Funny how the Moto Droid was able to kickstart stuff for phones, but not a single HW Manu was able to do shit with tablets. Hilarious.

darkwing

how high is your brightness setting?

Alright guys, so I'm about to root. What is considered the best ROM (speed/stability) out there?

Well there's two things you can do. I recommend going with Jellybro nightlies or Team EOS nightlies. Or if you want just plain Android then you can just install Pure AOSP and have no customizations or tweaks.

I'm running Jellybro right now and it's basically stock with a few teeny extras... it's been really fast. I had a few issues with Team EOS, but they have a tablet mode which combines the navbar and statusbar.

darkwing

Alright. Maybe I will head back and exchange. I'm just nervous my other one will have something else wrong with it....

About 1/3 of the way up.

hmm something is wrong then, I read that some had turned the maximum brightness on the screen, I think that's going to leave some retention/ghosting especially on high contrast images

JackEtc

hmm something is wrong then, I read that some had turned the maximum brightness on the screen, I think that's going to leave some retention/ghosting especially on high contrast images

Alright. I've noticed I have a little creaking too....Maybe I was a little too eager to get my hands on this, maybe I should just return it and wait for all these problems to be smoothed out.

Seik

Banned
Alright. I've noticed I have a little creaking too....Maybe I was a little too eager to get my hands on this, maybe I should just return it and wait for all these problems to be smoothed out.

Oh, did you just bought it?

If yes, it seems there's still some lemons in the lastest batches, but that's kinda inevitable...

Can you ask the Wal-Mart guy (if you return it) if he had this one since the N7 came out in mid-July?

I hope mine will be perfect. :(

JackEtc

Oh, did you just bought it?

If yes, it seems there's still some lemons in the lastest batches, but that's kinda inevitable...

Can you ask the Wal-Mart guy (if you return it) if he had this one since the N7 came out in mid-July?

I hope mine will be perfect. :(

I JUST bought it, literally an hour ago. I think it's a newer one, since the walmart near me just recently showed that they had them in stock.

darkwing

I don't think they could fix those issues in production in that short time, probably the fixed units are still being boxed somewhere in China or maybe their QA is not that great on a $199 tablet, who knows until Google says something

Emily Chu

Banned
I don't think they could fix those issues in production in that short time, probably the fixed units are still being boxed somewhere in China or maybe their QA is not that great on a $199 tablet, who knows until Google says something

I think I'm just gonna wait this one out until x-mas or early spring next year for a revised version.

got one @ gamestop but returned it for a full refund because of the screen creak issue.

Alright. Maybe I will head back and exchange. I'm just nervous my other one will have something else wrong with it....

About 1/3 of the way up. Why?
I'd probably head back. I don't remember my unit having ghosting at all.

The news of Chameleon launcher going out has me jelly. iOS UI is so damned boring to look at now :l

Randdalf

Got my 16GB today (UK) from Tesco Direct... I've never owned a smartphone or tablet before (though I do have a first gen iPod Touch) so I'm very impressed by this device. I think I'm going to keep adding stuff as I need it rather than go on a full out customisation drive straight away. I installed the Steam and TwitchTV apps.

I've also apparently got £15 of Google Play credit, I don't really know what to spend that on... certainly not games. One thing I don't understand - is the Transformers movie that comes with the tablet there permanently? When I took a peek at the movie store, just to see what it was like, you could only rent films and not actually permanently buy them, which seems like a bad deal to me.

Battery life seems pretty solid. Really gor a lot of use last night. I'm noticing the app thing though, as it seems this version of Comixology apparently lacks some of the navigation features i like in the iOS version, like scrolling through all of the available issues of a title when on its page.

My first unit had a fucked up screen, second much better. But the retention or whatever is present on both. :( Just was a LOT worse on the bad one.

The plus side (for those of us outside the US) is that Comixology on android charges $ rather than £ unlike the ios version meaning we get our comics cheaper!

Randdalf

Eurgh I think the headphone jack on my one might not be working :(

edit: oops, no, you just have to push it in really hard

edit2: free is too high a price, they should pay me to watch this film

Seik

Banned
No tablet for me this week-end it seems...still out of fucking stock everywhere.

Seik am cry. :(

Seriously, I've been digging all week to get one, this is ridiculous. Dat wait. Hnnnnnng!!!

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
My week old nexus from hmv is now creaking like a mofo. Is there a diy fix? Failing that I might wait until it's back in stock in store so I can swap it out.

Top Bottom