• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I haven't had a single issue with my 8GB at all. It's been flawless, Unless i'm blind or something.

I'm loving the device. Really enjoy moon+ and I might grab the pro version with that free google money.

Currently running the glazed jellybean rom on it. Seems great so far, very quick.

I haven't had a single issue with my 8GB at all. It's been flawless, Unless i'm blind or something.

I'm loving the device. Really enjoy moon+ and I might grab the pro version with that free google money.

Currently running the glazed jellybean rom on it. Seems great so far, very quick.

Oooh, anyway you can take some screens of that? I wanna see.

Bit-Bit

This might be the best tablet I've bought. Its so smooth and everything looks great on it. I remember earlier in the thread, someone posted instructions to make the UI really fast. Does anyone know what they are?

Also, anyone know of a really cheap case?

Emily Chu

Banned
This might be the best tablet I've bought. Its so smooth and everything looks great on it. I remember earlier in the thread, someone posted instructions to make the UI really fast. Does anyone know what they are?

Also, anyone know of a really cheap case?

system>developer options

change
all transitions .5

turn on GPU rendering

markot

Banned
Is google against microsd only because it might slow the experience down? I know that bad microsd cards can have a big impact, buuuuuuuut, still >.<

The cloud doesnt work that well when you have bandwidth limits and cant access alot of stuff on it because it isnt available in your region. Also, when you dont have 3g...

Will Asus release its own 7 incher?

kehs

Banned
I'm glad I don't hold the device by pinching the edges. There is a deifinite weak frame on this thing.

Do people really not just palm it?

markot

Banned
I kinda rest it in my fingers but in a way that it doesnt fall out, but also doesnt require much pressure, kinda like a dock for it.

MercuryLS

Banned
My week old nexus from hmv is now creaking like a mofo. Is there a day fix? Failing that I might wait until it's back in stock in store so I can swap it out.

There's some issues with Asus' QC, my creaks like crazy too. Google and Asus should be ashamed.

Also dealing with the Google Play devices store is a nightmare, worst online buying experience I've ever had. I'm trying to return my Nexus 7, they say they're going to send me a UPS slip to put on my package...2 days go by, no slip. There's also a 15% restocking fee on top of the $20 extra shipping I paid. With Apple, it's free shipping from fucking Shenzen China, no restocking fee, and hassle free returns. They send you the slip right away to your email. You tape that onto a box and send it back. No hassle.

Absolutely terrible Google.

There's some issues with Asus' QC, my creaks like crazy too. Google and Asus should be ashamed.

Also dealing with the Google Play devices store is a nightmare, worst online buying experience I've ever had. I'm trying to return my Nexus 7, they say they're going to send me a UPS slip to put on my package...2 days go by, no slip. There's also a 15% restocking fee on top of the $20 extra shipping I paid. With Apple, it's free shipping from fucking Shenzen China, no restocking fee, and hassle free returns. They send you the slip right away to your email. You tape that onto a box and send it back. No hassle.

Absolutely terrible Google.

I got my slip via email, just printed it out.

FireCloud

Bought a 16GB model from Google for my daughter. I'm really impressed with it. After spending some time with it setting it up for her, it is hard to go back to my android smart phone.

Now I really want JB on my Samsung S3.

BFIB

Think I sold a lot of people on this device tonight. Getting married tomorrow, had a family day today w/ both sides of our families attending. Took it out to let my nephew play some Angry Birds, and I had a lot of questions about it. Loved the device, and were really surprised at the price.

Loading up some roms tonight, since I have a 4 hr plane ride Monday. Time will fly by playing some WWF WrestleFest, and Konami classic beat em ups.

EDIT: Just saw the update from Comixology was out! About time, now I get to look forward to some reading as well.

antispin

Think I sold a lot of people on this device tonight. Getting married tomorrow, had a family day today w/ both sides of our families attending. Took it out to let my nephew play some Angry Birds, and I had a lot of questions about it. Loved the device, and were really surprised at the price.

Loading up some roms tonight, since I have a 4 hr plane ride Monday. Time will fly by playing some WWF WrestleFest, and Konami classic beat em ups.

EDIT: Just saw the update from Comixology was out! About time, now I get to look forward to some reading as well.

Congratulations on the marriage. Wish you both the best!

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Tried to walk to into several stores in Aus, and they are all sold out. Was told at DSE that they have nothing left anywhere and the headquarters was getting another 500 in this week but I can guess my chances of getting any of them.

Went to the JBHifi and they had none and at the store alone they have 36 on back order.

Does anyone recommend going with Google directly, I am hesitant just in case I have to return mine because of a defect.

markot

Banned
Tried to walk to into several stores in Aus, and they are all sold out. Was told at DSE that they have nothing left anywhere and the headquarters was getting another 500 in this week but I can guess my chances of getting any of them.

Went to the JBHifi and they had none and at the store alone they have 36 on back order.

Does anyone recommend going with Google directly, I am hesitant just in case I have to return mine because of a defect.

Good guys? Binglee? Try the 'smaller' stores like those, ring em up.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
used the mini-USB to USB cable I bought off Amazon for $5 to connect my USB gamepad to the Nexus. works great with the SNES emulator i sideloaded onto the device.

i just love this ol' tablet.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
used the mini-USB to USB cable I bought off Amazon for $5 to connect my USB gamepad to the Nexus. works great with the SNES emulator i sideloaded onto the device.

i just love this ol' tablet.

I can't figure out if i'm nerdy enough to do this with a wiimote on the train or not :D

I have an HP picture frame tablet that I can almost trade straight up for a Nexus (32 -> 8 gig) but I'm hesitant because of the difference in screen size and hdd. Its pretty cool watching tv episodes on a plane but with the nexus 7 it might feel like a downgrade.

Obviously everything else is way better on a Nexus though. You guys think I should do it?

Fletcher

I bought this last weekend and am enjoying it quite a bit. This really fixes the problems I had with my iPad, which were that it were too large and too expensive. I was too nervous taking the thing out of the house.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
This post = profound sadness.

:(

I know. :(

It was fine for the first few days but by the end of the week there was a discernible creak which is massively beginning to grate.

I absolutely love the device otherwise. I'm just going to wait until this thing shows back up instock in brick and mortar stores so I can buy another one and swap them out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got my Nexus 7 today. Is it impossible to start up the device without internet? Will this still be a problem now that I've set everything up?

Also, any recommended apps?

Any way to watch the Olympics streaming on this tablet?

It can probably be done with a mix of XBMC and the navi-x plugin (assuming that someone is streaming the olympics/channel) or possibly another plugin like 1channel.

However, currently XBMC is still in an early stage on Android so I'm not sure how well it will work. It is one of the things I want to test once I get back to the States in a few days where my tablet is waiting.

For reference, check this YouTube video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaqkm03zR7I

ChanHuk

Banned
You're not living this down divvy.

So I was about ready to buy a Nexus 7 when I came to realization that flash is no longer supported in Jellybean as so I found out when playing with a display model. I'm sure there's a custom rom with flash enabled but what the fuck? There is almost no reason for me to get an Android device over an iOS device now.

Emily Chu

Banned
flash works fine on the latest 4.1.1 JB if you sideload the latest APK

but on maybe key lime pie OS in the future who the fuck knows, I'm sure some ingenious dev would just hack it in for a custom rom though.

and if by then there is no real way of getting flash to work on the machine, well theres a nice 200-249$ brick in your hands....

Cheebo

Banned
flash works fine on the latest 4.1.1 JB if you sideload the latest APK

but on maybe key lime pie OS in the future who the fuck knows, I'm sure some ingenious dev would just hack it in for a custom rom though.

and if by then there is no real way of getting flash to work on the machine, well theres a nice 200-249$ brick in your hands....
That is the last APK that will work however. Adobe said they will no longer update mobile flash. Once you hit key lime pie you are out of luck. Google has been pretty clear in their intentions to get rid of flash on Android. You are fighting a losing fight here.

kehs

Banned
Flash was working pretty shittyly for me when I side loaded it. YouTube videos in particular would not allow me to load them through the app. When they did playin full screen it would not do full screen in landscape.

Ended up just uninstalling it, now I have an appliance instead of a computer. =(

Emily Chu

Banned
Flash was working pretty shittyly for me when I side loaded it. YouTube videos in particular would not allow me to load them through the app. When they did playin full screen it would not do full screen in landscape.

Ended up just uninstalling it, now I have an appliance instead of a computer. =(

Which browser did you use ? flash worked fined for me on a browser called "xScope". When I had the damn thing.

and when I sideloaded the latest firefox to it as well.

give those a shot

what I did was did a backup of the latest flash version via Titanium Backup on my Gnex, ripped the apk and just stuck it on the N7.

never had a single problem with flash on the N7 though...

kehs

Banned
Which browser did you use ? flash worked fined for me on a browser called "xScope". When I had the damn thing.

and when I sideloaded the latest firefox to it as well.

give those a shot

what I did was did a backup of the latest flash version via Titanium Backup on my Gnex, ripped the apk and just stuck it on the N7.

never had a single problem with flash on the N7 though...

I literally can't use any browser that doesnt have quick controls. Lol I'm using a side loaded aosp browser from 4.1.1.

Cheebo

Banned
I can't wait for Emily Chu's meltdown when key lime pie is out and side loading the old now unsupported flash apk no longer works.

Top Bottom