• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

MrJames

Got my free replacement cases from Blurex and Moko. Much nicer than the generic pieces of shit they sent initially.

Moko 360

k4EGg.jpg

ARr5N.jpg

GkINt.jpg

DmNVZ.jpg

I6ZUy.jpg

BjhP1.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
I do, but online streaming show more sports and doesn't show commercial bullshit, unlike cable tv.

But I heard the official Olympic app sucks on both ios and android.

I wouldn't say it sucks. It's not buttery smooth, but it has all the events you can get on the website with 10 second ads in place of the 10 seconds of a pretty picture that the website uses. At least with an ad blocker that's what the website does...

MrJames

Just picked up a 16GB model from my local Walmart Friday morning. Been playing with it all day Friday and today. Device is amazing. Just can't put it down.

Floex

So I have Go Launcher, changed my icons to custom ones I have, now i want to change only some of them. I know you change icon pictures say on the desktop but is there a way to change them in your app menu?

kehs

Banned
I just opened this thing up.

Of course there's flex and creaking on the left side, the supporting frame is broken up into two pieces and incomplete! It doesn't tie back up because of a ribbon cable that goes through there.

Fuckins Asus, that shit is ridiculous. The screws were a little loose, its no wonder its just a temp fix, that black piece is just going to settle again.

The creak goes away, but I'm fully expecting it to return after a few hours.

I don't see them fixing this on this device....ever.

Structure... how does it work?

Cheebo

Banned
Hopefully Samsung will do next years Nexus tablet. Asus always does such a cheap build quality. The transformer thread here is full of people with bad build quality devices.

adroit

There needs to be an Apple Nexus device. Apple hardware and Google software. Yeah, it'll cost $600 (or whatever). But it'll be built like a f'ing tank.

zeioIIDX

Just got a 16GB Nexus 7 from the Walmart near me (Biloxi, MS). No case yet but I want one. I can already see what people mean by "creaking edges" or whatever, if you press into the edges, it does kinda recess a little. But I know I won't be putting force in that area so it's not going to bother me for the time being. I opted for the 2 year coverage for $20 from Walmart which covers all kinds of problems and whatnot. Only thing odd I've encountered so far is a strange glitch (hardware? software?) where the sound/music was fine out of the box earlier but when I went to play a song after messing with the Chrome browser for a bit, there was absolutely no sound. I brought up Google Now, and all of the a sudden the song cut back in and I could hear everything from that point on. Weird. This is my first tablet and I've used Android before but not since my Droid Eris days XD

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hopefully Samsung will do next years Nexus tablet. Asus always does such a cheap build quality. The transformer thread here is full of people with bad build quality devices.

Sony. SONY. Or better yet, JONY.

kehs

Banned
I wonder if anyone hacked a 4S to install Android.
Somebody was doing it the 3gs, but they pretty much dropped it because they would, literally, have to write all new drivers, and jail breaking allowed everything android does, but smoother.

e: Creaking is back but it requires heavy pressure and non-weirdo gripping.

Luckily I'm a weirdo and don't grip it like that!

Mine has ghosting all sudden. I bought it through radio shack should I send it back to them? Or can I get another unit through google?

Seik

Banned
What psx emulator should I use for Nexus 7?

Most would say that the best one available is Fpse. You'll need to find a bios and play with the settings a little bit though. I don't think the app has been updated for N7 yet, dev is on vacations. But it still works quite well for what I've seen on Youtube.

So my parents commandeered my crappy 32inch HDTV and offered to buy me a new one...but I'm tempted to just ask them to get me a Nexus 7 and buy a tv from craigslist later...

kehs

Banned
Well now that I fixed the creak on the face that I didn't really care about, I have a clicking on the silver frame.....that one I DO notice.

Grrr

Vyer

I'm stupid for typing this, but I'm glad my replacement hasn't had any problems so far. Do t know if there is no creaking or if I just haven't noticed it because of how I hold it.

Of course, my first unit was all sorts of fucked up, so yeah definitely some qc issues.....

Thinking of ordering.

For those who have used a 7" tablet, do you find it too small in general use? Reading PDFs, browsing the web etc.?

My friends dad has one and my friend showed it to me once. It's not too small to use, I found it a good enough size to be able to read PDFs, play games, and also not so big that's it inconveniences you.

I'm not a big fan of those leather jackets, I need something that is similar to ipad's smart cover. Until I find one, my nexus7 would be naked.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got a simple insert sleeve case. Just for transporting so I won't get scratches.

All that I need really. I like seeing my devices naked.

Randdalf

I might try just get a sleeve for now... I don't trust any of the cases on sale here in the UK on Amazon as most of them seem to be chock full of suspiciously positive reviews, for cases that were probably made for other tablets. Any suggestions for a nice sleeve?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
My N7 has been amazing so far. No issues with warping, creaking, screen, etc. Of the two tablets I've owned so far, it's the best. Super fast and fits my wants better than my iPad did. ^_^

Tattooth

Ebuyer (Uk Retailer) has these in stock now. Would they be a new batch since this is the first time they have had them in stock, or are they still trickling out original stock?

I ordered from them and it's arrived but I am at work, so I was wondering if there are any signs to check if it would be a newer, "fixed" batch.

I assume a sleeve meant for a 3rd gen Kindle would be too small for this?

Salaadin

Was comixology updated? I swear, it looks a little different (larger buttons) and I wasnt running into any issues last night doing panel to panel.

Seik

Banned
JUST GOT MINE.

I'm at job right now so I can't do jack shit...

I'll leave impressions later tonight. Hope it won't be dissapointing.

Top Bottom