• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mrNTE

Got my nexus today. I have nothing to complain on this far. My first experience is great, I'm typing on it right now and it feels great.
(Which is good as I'm going to code on it in the sofa.)
I got shadow gun and dead trigger to test the tegra 3, great games, madfinger did a great job on both.
Now I only need to figure out how to get the free credits..

Edit: Slightly off topic but if someone know if it possible to disabled the canvas zoom in autodesk sketchbook I'd appreciate the information!

kehs

Banned
Exchange it. You keep messing with it, it'll defect so badly that they might not do it.

I'd have to deal with Jr that's in NY and shipping and all that jazz.

With that said, turns out I just forgot to seat the back cover properly.

-----

Tabs on Chrome,is there really now way to see all the open tabs like on phones?

Agent X

Got my nexus today. I have nothing to complain on this far. My first experience is great, I'm typing on it right now and it feels great.

I just got mine today as well. I'm also posting from my Nexus 7 right now. From what I can tell, it seems to be a very nicely designed product. I'm still learning some of its intricacies, and will continue to put it through its paces over the next few days. I am very happy with it so far!

th3dude

(Which is good as I'm going to code on it in the sofa.)
I got shadow gun and dead trigger to test the tegra 3, great games, madfinger did a great job on both.
Now I only need to figure out how to get the free credits..

Edit: Slightly off topic but if someone know if it possible to disabled the canvas zoom in autodesk sketchbook I'd appreciate the information!

Really??

Blackhead

Redarse

No PC Involved
Tim Bray said:
The words you are now reading were typed in on my Nexus 7, and published to the blog without the use of a traditional “Personal Computer.” First time it’s happened, but maybe not the last.

How (for geeks) · ConnectBot to ssh to tbray.org, Hacker’s Keyboard for a big 5 rows with Esc and arrows and so on, and terminal-mode Emacs on tbray.org; I thought Vim might be lighter in weight, but the modality got in the way, and some of my handy keystrokes were still useful.

The biggest gripes are that it’s not actually running on the tab, I’m not getting Jellybean’s excellent word predictor, and I can’t touch the screen to navigate.

There’s no reason in principle this couldn’t be made to work properly. And for now, if I have to blog in a pinch sans computer, it’s entered the realm of the possible.

kehs

Banned
Yea, as we move more and more to webapps, its not insane to think we can be more productive on "limited" devices. If you can connect a physical keyboard, thenypu of going covered. Sure its a small screen, but if your coding apps for it...well then its great.

If we stop thinking about size as limitation to functionality well be a lot better off with advancements in productivity.

Seik

Banned
Phew, for the moment, I can't see any dead pixels, heavy ghosting, screen popping.

But it's just been one day.

Didn't left it since I came back from work. This thing is tons of fun, full of potential.

bjscott05

Seeing some screen separation from bezel on my second Nexus I got early August. Some light bleed too :(
Guess I'll swap this one out for another from the Play store.

Hate to say it but it just seems like the build quality is shit on this thing. Too bad because the hardware and jelly bean is fantastic. Just needs better construction.

darkwing

Seeing some screen separation from bezel on my second Nexus I got early August. Some light bleed too :(
Guess I'll swap this one out for another from the Play store.

Hate to say it but it just seems like the build quality is shit on this thing. Too bad because the hardware and jelly bean is fantastic. Just needs better construction.

but today is still early August? :|

SetUhatU

Does chrome allow for any gesture browsing? I couldn't figure out any options.

Also,does anybody know if you can adjust the scroll speed of chrome in the nexus 7¿

Loving the device!

Tattooth

Got mine lat night and I think I'm in the clear as far as hardware defects go. No ghosting or dead pixels, no screen seperation, although I'm not entirely sure what that is, does anyone have a picture of what that looks like. There is some light squeaking when I pick it up, but it only happened 2 or 3 times and I can't seem to replicate it.

Overall happy with it so far, already rooted it and set up a ps3 controller via Bluetooth, which was a complete pain in the arse as I didn't follow any tutorials, no idea why.

Cartman86

Banned
Got mine lat night and I think I'm in the clear as far as hardware defects go. No ghosting or dead pixels, no screen seperation, although I'm not entirely sure what that is, does anyone have a picture of what that looks like. There is some light squeaking when I pick it up, but it only happened 2 or 3 times and I can't seem to replicate it.

Overall happy with it so far, already rooted it and set up a ps3 controller via Bluetooth, which was a complete pain in the arse as I didn't follow any tutorials, no idea why.

That's generally what you hear with the separation issue though the big issue is usually on the left side of the tablet there is an ever so slight raising of the glass. I had this issue and it didn't bother me, but it did creak when you grabbed that side. It also was a little spongy when you pressed on the glass. I especially noticed the difference when I got a replacement where the plastic is obviously raised above the glass. I did hear a creak one time on this new one, but I haven't been able to replicate and really aren't interested in doing so. I'll take a screen creak over my terrible touch unresponsiveness problem any day.

Polari

Got mine today, build quality seems rock solid.

Shadowgun looks amazing on this. If only Google would get their shit together and put some emphasis on gaming, attract some decent developers and games. Still a crazy amazing piece of hardware for $199. 7" is the perfect size too.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I don't think I'm gonna stick the N7 in a case, I enjoy the feel of the backing too much.

I wouldn't mind a sleeve, though. What's the best options for that?

Zeth

My next objective is to get a controller working for emulation and stuff. Can I get a cheap adaptor on monoprice?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I took the back off mine and tightened the screws. Problem solved now. Annoyed that the screwdriver slipped when I was prising the back off so there's a slight scratch in the rubber back, nothing drastic but do be careful!

Seik

Banned
I took the back off mine and tightened the screws. Problem solved now. Annoyed that the screwdriver slipped when I was prising the back off so there's a slight scratch in the rubber back, nothing drastic but do be careful!

If my screen ever do pop out, that what I'll do I guess. It just seems so easy to do.

But yeah, I'll be careful because, man, this shit is beautiful and I don't want any scratches. ;)

I tried many emulators for the moment: SNESoid, N64oid, GENSoid and Fpse. Still have to try NESoid.

The best for the moment: GENSoid and N64oid, while N64oid have some lag, the music sounds tight for both of these. SNESoid, while playing games, tend to play the music a little pitch to high. Nothing to bang my heads on the walls, but its noticeable.

I'm having a blast trying to make Fpse work properly (Yeah, I like doing stuff like that :p). The OPENGL driver is clearly a big step up, graphics are looking real good with this. The only problem with this one is that the music lag by moments and some sound effects are quite bad...but hey, Fpse hasn't been updated since the N7 came out, I heard the dev was off a couple of days since release, so I'll stay optimist. Still, with some game this one is a beast.

Tattooth

If I have rooted my device, what is the thing called that will let me make an app full screen and replace the soft keys with gestures, I am completely blanking on the name.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Is there some quick fix that will allow my home screen to rotate on the stock ROM? That's really the only thing pissing me off.

Jeff-DSA

My wife has had hers for a couple of weeks and is loving it. A few people have handled it and were pretty wowed by it overall when I told them they're $199/$249. Sounds like price is still a big barrier to entry in the tablet space for a lot of people.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I know it's not free, but since I had Play Store money to burn from Google, I really really like GMD Gestures a lot more than LMT. It seemed a lot more responsive and could do a lot more. Also, with GMD you don't need to worry about having a separate fullscreen app as moving the status bar is one of the gesture options.

But, LMT is free and GMD is not...so yeah.

womp

If my screen ever do pop out, that what I'll do I guess. It just seems so easy to do.

But yeah, I'll be careful because, man, this shit is beautiful and I don't want any scratches. ;)

I tried many emulators for the moment: SNESoid, N64oid, GENSoid and Fpse. Still have to try NESoid.

The best for the moment: GENSoid and N64oid, while N64oid have some lag, the music sounds tight for both of these. SNESoid, while playing games, tend to play the music a little pitch to high. Nothing to bang my heads on the walls, but its noticeable.

I'm having a blast trying to make Fpse work properly (Yeah, I like doing stuff like that :p). The OPENGL driver is clearly a big step up, graphics are looking real good with this. The only problem with this one is that the music lag by moments and some sound effects are quite bad...but hey, Fpse hasn't been updated since the N7 came out, I heard the dev was off a couple of days since release, so I'll stay optimist. Still, with some game this one is a beast.

The 'oid' emulators suck...

As I said...Pony up for the Robert Broglia emus (Use that $25 credit). You are doing a disservice to yourself using the 'oid's outdated BS.

Here is his SNES one for free.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/

kehs

Banned
I know it's not free, but since I had Play Store money to burn from Google, I really really like GMD Gestures a lot more than LMT. It seemed a lot more responsive and could do a lot more. Also, with GMD you don't need to worry about having a separate fullscreen app as moving the status bar is one of the gesture options.

But, LMT is free and GMD is not...so yeah.

Good to know GMD can hide the status bar....might use that too in conjunction with LMT. I'm using LMT for the pie controls rather than the gestures.

Is there any specific instruction to put comic files into Nexus, or do you just drag and click file over to nexus using usb connector?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So how do you guys have your N7's homescreen set up?

Mine:

yM35w.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tested was using that Batman wallpaper. I haven't found it. GIVE IT TO ME

Some GAFer gave it to me in the phone wallpaper thread. But a quick Google search yielded this. It's the cover for Batman #11. (#12 is out today woot! But I can't buy it yet cause I'm broke. :( )

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Speaking of emus, I tried MAME4Droid Reloaded on the tablet with a Wiimote. I'm impressed. Most games worked perfectly.

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-overclocked-to-1-64-ghz-destroys-benchmarks-20120807/

OC guide for rooters.

11me49g-540x337.png

One of the kernels with the oc and some power savings

We know you must be thinking that running at 1.64 GHz on all four cores must kill the battery. Yes that is true, but that is why the Trinity Kernel Toolbox lets you control that. Overclock when you’re gaming and want optimal results. Then underclock for everything else. Not only that, but standby usage (when it’s sitting on a desk) has been severely improved. So not only does Trinity kernel offer amazing performance, but you get amazing battery life too. Deep sleep mode means after even 12 hours of awake time you’ll still have plenty of battery left. Just look at the screenshot below. Obviously results will vary.

That is neat.

Top Bottom