• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Here's mine. Neat and simple.

ibbHr2AsYusIne.png

il6lJylW9HYCq.png

Is there any specific instruction to put comic files into Nexus, or do you just drag and click file over to nexus using usb connector?

I just connected via USB created a root folder called 'Comics' via explorer and make relevant sub folders based on comic series. Point Perfect Viewer (or whatever app) at the 'Comics' folder and it will populate your bookshelf based on what it finds.

Just noticed a couple of small but noticeable scratches on the supposedly scratch-resistant Corning glass. Not happy.

I bought it at Staples. Should I swap it out for a new one there, or through Google?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've been watching some reviews of the Nexus 7 as a gaming platform, and I've been pretty impressed from what I've seen.

I'm thinking of picking one up for my daughters for Christmas because they are always asking to play my iPod Touch and just basically love mobile games in general, and I thought it would be nice for them to have a tablet to watch movies on when they are spending weekends with me or what have you.

I'm personally waiting to see if an iPad mini gets introduced but looking at all these videos. I can tell that Android has come a long way since my last experience and now I'm kind of tempted for myself, as well.

Are all of the build quality complaints greatly exaggerated or is this a real issue with the Nexus 7? I don't want to spend all kinds of money on possibly two of them and have them be crappy. Do you guys think Asus is working on fixing the issue and it might be a better idea to wait till closer to the holidays? If that's the case I'd be concerned about supply.

Also, I spend a lot of time in the Apple community and I don't mean to troll, but is the play store as much of an app ghetto as I've heard or is that kinda like "OS warrior" stuff? If a big game comes out on iOS, it's more than likely out for Android too I'm assuming.

Last time I used android it was like 2.3 on a device with no graphics acceleration so I'm willing to give it another shot if the Nexus 7's build quality isn't too bad, I just know I see a ton of bitching online and it has me concerned.

Emily Chu

Banned
Last time I used android it was like 2.3 on a device with no graphics acceleration so I'm willing to give it another shot if the Nexus 7's build quality isn't too bad, I just know I see a ton of bitching online and it has me concerned.

it's a valid concern, feels like if you get one now you're just beta testing the damn thing for it's actual release in X mas or spring of next year when they have a couple of revisions out and everything is finalized.

ChanHuk

Banned
As a gaming device, the iPad has any Android device beat.

Got an offer for my HTC Evo View, think I'm gonna pick up the Nexus 7 afterwards. How do I root/sideload flash?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Nexus 7 is my first Android device. I can already tell it will be better for what I use a tablet for. The way notifications work seems a lot better for apps connected to internet services or apps on other devices that support notifications.

Another example is watching some of my media. On iOS there is a good, reliable piece of software called Air Video that will stream video. There are a few third party clients for it on Android but because it's android I can just mount a windows share with ES File Explorer and use different video apps to play them directly (without transcoding). There still aren't any I could find that are perfect yet as is the case with iOS video players but it's one less barrier that they won't need to have a hard to implement feature to mount windows shares (or a good media server that doesn't fall over when browsing content)

There's also the customization stuff which looks great but I'm not ready to dip my toe into that yet; however I am getting pretty good use out of widgets. Some seem pretty stupid like shortcuts to rss feeds but there's a subset that to me make the workflow a lot better than on ios.

I've hardly touched my ipad 2 since I've got the thing. I like having ios devices to see how that operating system evolves but Android seems pretty good too.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well guys, I sold my Evo View for $125 and picked up a 8GB Nexus 7. I didn't put shit on my Evo View's 32GB of storage because I was using it as just a multimedia streaming device. Gonna figure out how to sideload and crap to put flash on it. Flash would bog down my old tablet even though it was 1.5Ghz. Flash just sucks all together.

I love me some 7 inch tablets! unfortunately i couldnt find a reason to get this, I just bought a Fire that I love and I have an old Dell Streak 7.

So I caved and picked up my Nexus7 a bit ago from Walmart, sucks that i had to go straight to work so I cant really dig into it yet but good golly this thing is nice

ChanHuk

Banned
I love me some 7 inch tablets! unfortunately i couldnt find a reason to get this, I just bought a Fire that I love and I have an old Dell Streak 7.

So I just picked up my Nexus7 a bit ago from Walmart, sucks that i had to go straight to work so I cant really dig into it yet but good golly this thing is nice

Wait, I'm confused, did you buy a Nexus 7?

Cigol

...Damn, Google Currents downloaded 17GBs of data behind my back? I used it a couple of times but that's insane! Good job it's wifi only.

Has this been posted yet;

nexus_7_stats.png

This graph shows the device install count of ComicRack (Paid).

Green is the Asus Transformer, blue is the Transformer Prime and red is the Acer A500. The orange line is the new Nexus 7. In 3 weeks the Nexus 7 almost managed to take the 2nd spot.

This is what I call a successful device launch :)

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

Seems promising. I personally prefer Comics/Comixology but you can't get everything on that.

Seik

Banned
After playing a long game of Wario Land. I'm now debuting a new game at Grandia.

It runs p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y. I love this thing, nothing to say so far. First tablet and great experience so far. I love playing my favorite games on this, the screen is just big enough, not too small, not too big.

adroit

...Damn, Google Currents downloaded 17GBs of data behind my back? I used it a couple of times but that's insane! Good job it's wifi only.
Yeah, it was downloading crap in the background and I wasn't using it at all. So I've turned off background downloading in Currents' settings. No more downloading unless I run it (which is absolutely never).

ChanHuk

Banned
Alright, first app I tried to install, Flipboard. Gives me error DF-BFA-09. FUCK YOU GOOGLE. Shit like this makes me hate Android.

Cipherr

Has this been posted yet;

nexus_7_stats.png

This graph shows the device install count of ComicRack (Paid).

Green is the Asus Transformer, blue is the Transformer Prime and red is the Acer A500. The orange line is the new Nexus 7. In 3 weeks the Nexus 7 almost managed to take the 2nd spot.

This is what I call a successful device launch :)

The next versions for ComicRack (Windows and Android) are still in the making. But as I managed to break my finger playing football last week there will be some delay.

The new builds will among other things include new features for syncing, enhancements for Jelly Beans and the usual bag of bugfixes.

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

Seems promising. I personally prefer Comics/Comixology but you can't get everything on that.

tumblr_m1oc46HQyN1r7kz9v.gif

Pretty impressive. Not exactly shocking, but impressive nonetheless, its like the first Android tablet perhaps besides the TF to be done right.

Vyer

Ah, "Your device isn't compatible with his version", I've heard of you. :(

No HBOGO? Surely there a way around that, right?

kinggroin

Banned

Its not a nexus issue, but a jellybean one. HBO Go took a loooong time to support ICS, so God only knows when JB will be set.

Doesn't bother me on my phone (GN with JB) since its too small a screen to enjoyably consume multimedia like what's on Netflix and Go, but on a tablet, the lack of support for tablet optimised apps meant I wasn't coming back to android for that need. I have an iPad now, but I would absolutely love to go back to android if support improves.

ChanHuk

Banned

You're approaching Android's biggest issue which is fragmentation. Just gotta wait it out, another reason why I've come to realize iOS is superior.

Without flash support there's not much out there for me in the land of Android. Yeah its got widgets and customizations but you know what I just web surf most the time.

iOS > Windows Phone > Android; unless of course this Nexus 7 convinces me otherwise.

Jelly Bean is pretty damn smooth if you ask me, iOS like. I will reiterate why the iPad dominates the tablet market. I bought my mother an HTC EVO View 4G as a tablet for her to use. Her answer was; "Is that an iPad? No it isn't" So I kept it for myself and eventually bought her an iPad 2 which she uses everyday and adores. I'm proficient enough to use any kind of device but Android still confuses me occasionally.

Vyer

Its not a nexus issue, but a jellybean one. HBO Go took a loooong time to support ICS, so God only knows when JB will be set.

Doesn't bother me on my phone (GN with JB) since its too small a screen to enjoyably consume multimedia like what's on Netflix and Go, but on a tablet, the lack of support for tablet optimised apps meant I wasn't coming back to android for that need. I have an iPad now, but I would absolutely love to go back to android if support improves.

You're approaching Android's biggest issue which is fragmentation. Just gotta wait it out, another reason why I've come to realize iOS is superior.

I have an ipad, the wife was using it and I was playing around with the Nexus and was looking to get it caught up with the apps I use most frequently on the iPad. So much for that.

Definitely I can see the complaints about the app selection and quality, and that's even with just a few general apps I use on a regular basis. (Comixology, HBOGO.... I couldn't even watch my Breaking Bad episode the day after it aired. :( ) There are a lot of very nice things about this tablet, but app situation is a little lacking and the store selection itself seems rather bland. Which is a shame, because apps are one of the things I enjoy most about the mobile devices.

Still, a very nice device for the price (provided you don't get build quality issues) and certainly a better experience than I had with the Fire.

Chili

So has anyone heard anything from Google about the Play Store returns? Mine arrived back at the sender on the 19th July and I haven't heard a peep out of them.

midonnay

welp ..... open box

good ...no screen separation

no creaking sound

charge battery for a few hours.....waiting eagerly in anticipation

turn on device

fuck.... a line of dead pixels 2/3s of the screen down.

had a play with it awhile.... awesome device. Didn't know that the transformers movie was streaming though..... used up a nice chunk of my 3g quota before realising.

hopefully the retail store has stock so I can swap it for a good one (if they exist o.o )

Salaadin

I hate how Google Now needs web history enabled in order to give you certain things like sports scores. Its giving me a card now asking if I want to turn it on.
I wish it could be manually customized for things like that.

Emily Chu

Banned
welp ..... open box

good ...no screen separation

no creaking sound

charge battery for a few hours.....waiting eagerly in anticipation

turn on device

fuck.... a line of dead pixels 2/3s of the screen down.

had a play with it awhile.... awesome device. Didn't know that the transformers movie was streaming though..... used up a nice chunk of my 3g quota before realising.

hopefully the retail store has stock so I can swap it for a good one (if they exist o.o )

if there is no stock just return it for a full refund, thats what I did with gamestop.

Top Bottom