• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Seik

Banned
Still having bunch of fun with my N7.

screenshot_2012-08-09s8r5s.png

screenshot_2012-08-09a9qyp.png

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I've been spending the last few days playing Kairobotica. For whatever reason, Kairosoft's games are really the only mobile games that I truly enjoy.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
These seems to be quite a bit of availability in my area. Saw several of them at Walmart the other day and saw some today at Office Depot. I wanted to play with it but some moron decided to turn on the pattern lock. The Depot rep could not figure out how to unlock it.

Vyer

Comixology was upated and now works perfectly on the Nexus 7.

Yeah, the update helped but there's still some smaller features that aren't there. Say, for example, tapping on an issue takes you to its info page, but the 'coverflow' like scroll of all the available issues was a really handy addition that the Nexus doesn't have. It also seems to be missing the ability to scroll through any lists featured on the storefront, instead forcing you to hit 'see all' and move to another page.

I couldn't believe the 'next in the storyline/series' wasn't there at first either. Luckily the update added that at least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I couldn't believe the 'next in the storyline/series' wasn't there at first either. Luckily the update added that at least.

Definitely, it's great. It's still a bit off for some series though, I was reading A Death in the Family yesterday and it told me the next in the story was two issues ago.
KuGsj.gif

Vyer

Definitely, it's great. It's still a bit off for some series though, I was reading A Death in the Family yesterday and it told me the next in the story was two issues ago.
KuGsj.gif

Lol, yeah when it hits a gap it's definitely noticeable. Still, very useful to have. That's why I miss that issue scrolling feature so much when I am reading on the nexus. Flicking through a run is like that 'next in the story' on crack.

sca2511

Yeah, the update helped but there's still some smaller features that aren't there. Say, for example, tapping on an issue takes you to its info page, but the 'coverflow' like scroll of all the available issues was a really handy addition that the Nexus doesn't have. It also seems to be missing the ability to scroll through any lists featured on the storefront, instead forcing you to hit 'see all' and move to another page.

Didn't know there were missing features. Do 10" Android tablets not have this feature as well?

got my replacement from google because of the squeaky screen. On the right side of the n7.

The replacement has squeaky problem too. on the left side.

noooooooooo.jpg

third time's the charm

I hope so too...

I'm calling google.... again :(

could it be the shipping packaging is piss poor? i mean the replacement came in an envelope that was lined with thin bubbles, but that's no way adequate enough. The original unit came in a box (at least) but poorly positioned and inadequate bubbles.

I've got slightly raised glass on the left but so far no squeaking.

if you press it a bit, you would get that. And it would gradually become worse. I noticed there was a slight problem on the original unit, but I took that as a minor thing. Now it's a full blown squeak.

darkwing

I hope so too...

I'm calling google.... again :(

could it be the shipping packaging is piss poor? i mean the replacement came in an envelope that was lined with thin bubbles, but that's no way adequate enough. The original unit came in a box (at least) but poorly positioned and inadequate bubbles.

most likely it's the $199 components, compared to the other tablet, that one is built like a tank, but most likely it is a cheap manufacturing fix if Asus decides to do it

most likely it's the $199 components, compared to the other tablet, that one is built like a tank, but most likely it is a cheap manufacturing fix if Asus decides to do it

most likely. Apparently I'm not the only one with multiple RMAs. I just read people with multiple RMAs for the screen issues, it's a bit like russian roulette to get issue-free N7.

the google rep told me that they have very rigorous manufacturing process to ensure good quality. Suuuree....

oh shit, someone crazy glue the screen to fix the issue! lol

Agent X

I've suddenly got some weird interface problems with my Nexus 7, which all started after I did a Google search.

When my search was complete, I went to the Web browser, and later back to the home screen. After that, I noticed the bottom navigation bar (with the back, home, and recent apps icons) is now permanently stuck, even on the home screen. It doesn't automatically hide like it did before.

Additionally, holding the apps button and swiping upward does not bring up the Google Now prompt any longer. However, holding and swiping the Home button (on the navigation bar) now does this.

I also noticed that if I am on the home screen, and tap the apps button to open the apps display, it zooms outward (back). If I then tap the home icon to return to the home screen, it zooms inward. Now I could be wrong, but before the navigation bar got "stuck", I thought the zooms were the other way around--going from the home screen to apps would zoom inward, and going from apps to home would zoom outward.

Is there any way I can revert to auto-hiding the navigation bar like it did before? I've tried soft resetting by holding the Power button for several seconds, but that didn't change anything here. I'm hoping someone here knows of a simple solution, such as an option that I can toggle, and that I won't have to resort to a hard reset to do it.

Divvy

I've suddenly got some weird interface problems with my Nexus 7, which all started after I did a Google search.

When my search was complete, I went to the Web browser, and later back to the home screen. After that, I noticed the bottom navigation bar (with the back, home, and recent apps icons) is now permanently stuck, even on the home screen. It doesn't automatically hide like it did before.

Additionally, holding the apps button and swiping upward does not bring up the Google Now prompt any longer. However, holding and swiping the Home button (on the navigation bar) now does this.

I also noticed that if I am on the home screen, and tap the apps button to open the apps display, it zooms outward (back). If I then tap the home icon to return to the home screen, it zooms inward. Now I could be wrong, but before the navigation bar got "stuck", I thought the zooms were the other way around--going from the home screen to apps would zoom inward, and going from apps to home would zoom outward.

Is there any way I can revert to auto-hiding the navigation bar like it did before? I've tried soft resetting by holding the Power button for several seconds, but that didn't change anything here. I'm hoping someone here knows of a simple solution, such as an option that I can toggle, and that I won't have to resort to a hard reset to do it.

Huh... well that's the way it's supposed to be. I'm not sure what you had before.

Agent X

There's a black bar on the bottom with three icons: "back", "home", and "recent apps". On some Android devices, these are a separate panel from the actual screen display, and are always there (because they're physical attributes of the device). On the Nexus 7, it's different in that the navigation bar only appears if you're in an application, and disappears whenever you're on the home screen. Almost every review has specifically mentioned this as an intentional feature of the product (some reviewers liked it, some didn't).

However, for about the last hour, my navigation bar is now permanently stuck on. It's not supposed to be there--at least according to every major mainstream review I've read, and according to the last four days of me using it.

What's wrong with this thing? A mere interface quirk, some option that I've unknowingly enabled (and can hopefully toggle off again), or an operating system bug that's going to require a hard reset for me to get the "normal" behavior back?

Argyle

There's a black bar on the bottom with three icons: "back", "home", and "recent apps". On some Android devices, these are a separate panel from the actual screen display, and are always there (because they're physical attributes of the device). On the Nexus 7, it's different in that the navigation bar only appears if you're in an application, and disappears whenever you're on the home screen. Almost every review has specifically mentioned this as an intentional feature of the product (some reviewers liked it, some didn't).

However, for about the last hour, my navigation bar is now permanently stuck on. It's not supposed to be there--at least according to every major mainstream review I've read, and according to the last four days of me using it.

What's wrong with this thing? A mere interface quirk, some option that I've unknowingly enabled (and can hopefully toggle off again), or an operating system bug that's going to require a hard reset for me to get the "normal" behavior back?

No, that's how it has always worked. I think you misinterpreted the reviews? Sometimes apps can hide the buttons but I think they are always there (when hidden there are dots where the buttons were, if you touch them, the buttons come back)...

Just as an aside, I don't know why you would want your recent apps button to go away on the home screen...

Divvy

No, it's always supposed to be there, especially on the home screen.

3Pu3EHP1QUr9oI-YdIPQE5BxWYVGZ_DzPwhReSX9XSBRckTHFrBr6PV8DDQIY7S8usk

And you're supposed to get to Google Now by sliding from the home Nav button.

kehs

Banned
You might be having a mental breakdown Agent X. All of those things are how it works by default.

Have you been watching alot of videos lately? Full screen mode when playing videos will hide them.

Samus4145

Just finished my trial and now bought Force Rotate. Best thing I have ever bought. I loaded a mp4 movie that has a widescreen res and the video played originally in the default portrait mode. WTF?

Force Rotate fixes EVERYTHING.

Agent X

Just as an aside, I don't know why you would want your recent apps button to go away on the home screen...

IIRC, when I had been using it earlier, I would press the apps button, and then it would switch to the apps screen, at which point I could access the navigation bar (including the recent apps button).

If everyone here says this is normal, then I suppose it is so. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me...but I could swear that the bar was automatically hiding on the home screen before. And I don't know why I thought the home screen to apps screen zooms were reversed. But I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Zeth

I'm gravitating to the iPad 95% of the time now after a couple weeks. I'm usually stationary so portability isn't a big factor and I'm spoiled by retina I guess.

Still on the hunt for good apps. Do the Kairosoft games work on the N7?

Divvy

I'm gravitating to the iPad 95% of the time now after a couple weeks. I'm usually stationary so portability isn't a big factor and I'm spoiled by retina I guess.

Still on the hunt for good apps. Do the Kairosoft games work on the N7?

They've been updating their games to be compatible. A couple of them already are, not sure what their progress is at the moment. Their newest one, Kairobotica works great.

ChanHuk

Banned
So I turned off the touch click sound in settings. But it's still making clicking noises in the Play Store and in Firefox, anybody have this problem?

Seik

Banned
Is that fpse on the second shot? If so, did you use the default video settings? It looks smoother than I thought it would be.

It is Fpse. It wasn't looking like that not so long ago.

Now you can switch the software gpu plugin to an OpenGL plugin. You need to go in: ''config->Misc->Switch to OpenGL'' and it will download it automatically on the net. It simply looks tons of times better, but you need to do some try/errors with the plugin before nailing it decently, still need a bit of development. There's tutorials on some forums if you google it, helped me a lot.

Give this as a result with filtering, AA, etc. but the sound is a bit off and laggy sometimes, especially with FF7, but I'm sure updates will be made. :)

(The selection hand is black because I leave the Alpha Multipass option unchecked, checking it fixes that hand in FF7, but causes tons of troubles in other games that aren't there if its unchecked. I deal with that.)

screenshot_2012-08-10i0uk4.png

Threi

notag
So seeing my nexus 7 both of my parents bought one each 2 weeks ago. So having used 3 nexus 7s:

0 have creaking
0 have lifted edges
0 have screen issues

So...yeah.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Any rumors about specs and price for the iPad mini? I'm thinking about getting that or n7, depending on what that offers.

Cheebo

Banned
Any rumors about specs and price for the iPad mini? I'm thinking about getting that or n7, depending on what that offers.

Same specs as iPad 2 (aka basically the iPad 3 without retina). Price expected between 200 and 300. Expected to be announced at Sept 12th conference.

JordanKZ

It'll have an A5X SoC, rather than a Tegra. Probably cost more, maybe a lower resolution screen (people are predicting 1024x768). It'll also contain 90% more magic and marketing buzz words.

I also give Apple 1 to 2 weeks before they sue Asus for creating a 7" device.

Cheebo

Banned
It'll have an A5X SoC, rather than a Tegra. Probably cost more, maybe a lower resolution screen (people are predicting 1024x768). It'll also contain 90% more magic and marketing buzz words.

I also give Apple 1 to 2 weeks before they sue Asus for creating a 7" device.

They never sued Asus over the 10 inch tablets, they only have a problem with Samsung. Mostly due to touchwiz.

And it won't be that much more. Most likely around $250. Apple doesn't want to risk their near monopoly marketshare of tablets. If you want one I'd pre-order. It is going to be a mad house this holiday season, the tickle me elmo of tech gadgets.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm posting this from my iPod touch and it's the worst Internet device ive ever used. I hope they fixed it with new devices, but the wifi basically is almost useless. Bah...

Is the nexus in stock?

Cheebo

Banned
I'm posting this from my iPod touch and it's the worst Internet device ive ever used. I hope they fixed it with new devices, but the wifi basically is almost useless. Bah...

Is the nexus in stock?

I am guessing there is a problem with your wifi. iPod touch's don't have any particular issue with losing wifi connections.

Cheebo

Banned
It's the only device that's had a problem.

Does the nexus have an available keyboard attachment?
How old is the iPod touch? That is really odd problem I never heard of or seen before.

No official one like the Transformer Prime. I mean you can get those third party case things that you can get keyboard built in.

midonnay

Nexus 7 is like the perfect language learning aid...

its portable (quickly hidden in my jacket pocket when passing more seedy areas o.o) , battery last pretty long and the screen makes it more usable for reading documents than a smartphone.

I've got my ankidroid synced up, epwing reader with dictionaries loaded up and a tonne of books, audio and video within my grasp.

only annoying thing is it doesn't like giving you the choice of landscape mode most of the time. Abit jarring if you're used to IOS.

markot

Banned
Nexus 7 is like the perfect language learning aid...

its portable (quickly hidden in my jacket pocket when passing more seedy areas o.o) , battery last pretty long and the screen makes it more usable for reading documents than a smartphone.

I've got my ankidroid synced up, epwing reader with dictionaries loaded up and a tonne of books, audio and video within my grasp.

only annoying thing is it doesn't like giving you the choice of landscape mode most of the time. Abit jarring if you're used to IOS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&feature=search_result

Even gives you landscape homescreen

Top Bottom