• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Anyone know how to lock the rotation? Every time I'm reading or watching youtube video, if I slightly move the nexus, it would rotate to landscape, which is annoying.

Mairu

Anyone know how to lock the rotation? Every time I'm reading or watching youtube video, if I slightly move the nexus, it would rotate to landscape, which is annoying.

Slide the notifications window down and it's one of the buttons on the top that looks like a square with rotated quarter circles around it (I'd screenshot but I left it at home today)

Seik

Banned
*Takes a deep breath*

The left side of my screen is starting to pop out...

-_-

EDIT: I just took the back off, this thing is surprisingly easy of access, I took a read before doing anything and discovered there isn't any warranty sticker so you can take the back off anytime without any risks, unless you try to take it off like hulk and break a plastic piece, this is easily done.

Those screw on the left seems loose, I may want to take a shot but right now I don't a decent Philips screwdriver around, these are too tiny for everything I have at the moment, tomorrow I'll get on this.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Any rumors about specs and price for the iPad mini? I'm thinking about getting that or n7, depending on what that offers.

$250-300. But with that price you're getting a device with a soul. Don't you want a device you can care about and look after?

darkwing

*Takes a deep breath*

The left side of my screen is starting to pop out...

-_-

EDIT: I just took the back off, this thing is surprisingly easy of access, I took a read before doing anything and discovered there isn't any warranty sticker so you can take the back off anytime without any risks, unless you try to take it off like hulk and break a plastic piece, this is easily done.

Those screw on the left seems loose, I may want to take a shot but right now I don't a decent Philips screwdriver around, these are too tiny for everything I have at the moment, tomorrow I'll get on this.

some people used superglue, but I guess this is a more permanent solution lol

Seik

Banned
some people used superglue, but I guess this is a more permanent solution lol

Yeah I saw that, I lol'd, but then I saw that many people tried it and it works...

I'm kinda torn, maybe doing a RMA could give me a better revision of the thing, but all those stories of people who got the same thing (or worst) back is just depressing. Well, I have till monday to think about it.

I personally don't think the screen creaking is too much of an issue because you can DIY solve it, the screen issues (image retention/ghosting etc) is a bigger problem IMO

That exactly why I'm torn. Its just that, everything else is perfect. Still, that's a damn bad design flaw, sending one more RMA will send a message that they need to get their shit together quickly because all those on-warranty RMAs must cost shit tons.

darkwing

Yeah I saw that, I lol'd, but then I saw that many people tried it and it works...

I'm kinda torn, maybe doing a RMA could give me a better revision of the thing, but all those stories of people who got the same thing (or worst) back is just depressing. Well, I have till monday to think about it.

I personally don't think the screen creaking is too much of an issue because you can DIY solve it, the screen issues (image retention/ghosting etc) is a bigger problem IMO

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone know how to get an own3d.tv stream working on android without flash?

I can load them up without any issue on the iPad but for some reason it's just not supported on android. Is there another browser I could use? or maybe another plugin that isn't flash.

It works with flash but it's not that stable.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
i had a creeking screen a few weeks back and opened the device up to tighten the one screen on the left that seemed to be causing it. no creeks since. i'll resort to either super glue or clear nail polish to keep the screw in place if it loosens again.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-keep-loose-screws-tight-3603105.html

yes, clear nail polish.

My screws kept loosening, so I've used some Loctite this time. So far, so good. But only time will tell...

So is Google's warranty on this really only 15 days? I want to get two of the 8GB ones (one for my sister) from the Play Store but I don't want creaking issues 3 weeks in :/

I like the variety of options, but I'm confused about which landscape setting to choose. When I set the program to auto landscape it's effectively locked in that position. If you open a Youtube video it's full screen, which is great. However, because of the way the YouTube app works, it needs yo go back portrait mode to see the details and comments on a video. Is there a different landscape option or can the settings be tweaked to get around this issue?

Seik

Banned
i had a creeking screen a few weeks back and opened the device up to tighten the one screen on the left that seemed to be causing it. no creeks since. i'll resort to either super glue or clear nail polish to keep the screw in place if it loosens again.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-keep-loose-screws-tight-3603105.html

yes, clear nail polish.

Heh, how fortunate, my mother is a manicurist. I'll try to tighten those screws first then if they loosen up again I'll use clear nail polish.

Achtius

I haven't been paying too much attention to the nexus 7, but I heard there are some build quality associated with the first batch. So I am wondering if I should wait a bit longer before getting a nexus 7 or if google/asus fixed the problem in the newer batch?

Seik

Banned
Ok I just bought the necessary screwdrivers and tightened the screws a bit, didn't change much. I don't want to tighten those too much either because I don't want to damage the screen or anything. :/

Guess it'll be a RMA, shame.

Newline

Kinda disappointed that the left hand side of my screen is raised like half a mm up but for the price I'm not really too fussed. Apart from that this thing is amazing, lightning fast and really slick.

I've found myself a GAF reader.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
My screws kept loosening, so I've used some Loctite this time. So far, so good. But only time will tell...

Okay, no matter what I try, be it Loctite or clear nail varnish, after a few hours the creak will come back. It's less significant as before, but it's definitely there. I think I'll wait a while and then exchange.

Cheebo

Banned
Asus is infamous for their shoddy production. The transformer tablets have a lot of production issues as do their zenbook laptops.

I hope next years Nexus tablet is by Samsung.

markot

Banned
Asus isnt that bad. The product was rushed. That said I have no problems.

And I doubt Google wants to make Samsung more dominant in the Android market.

darkwing

Okay, no matter what I try, be it Loctite or clear nail varnish, after a few hours the creak will come back. It's less significant as before, but it's definitely there. I think I'll wait a while and then exchange.

i think the problem is those are too brittle when dried, maybe need something hard and a bit flexible

Wiktor

Asus is infamous for their shoddy production. The transformer tablets have a lot of production issues as do their zenbook laptops.

I hope next years Nexus tablet is by Samsung.

Don't know about tablets and phones, but ASUS laptops generally are a lot better built than Samsung ones

Cigol

Mine raised all on its own after 12 hours of barely using it, I watched it like a hawk waiting for it to spring on me despite handling it with kid gloves. Thing is shoddy. That said; everything else is working perfectly and the occasional creak from pressing down one side too much when picking it up isn't something that particularly bothers me, so I'm not going to play the lottery with returns. I'm hoping they'll eventually figure out definitively what is causing it, and how to fix it once and for all, but otherwise it's not a big deal to me.

If it's just a little raised I wouldn't freak out, seems to me you've got a Nexus 7.

Phoenix

Asus isnt that bad. The product was rushed. That said I have no problems.

And I doubt Google wants to make Samsung more dominant in the Android market.

They should. Samsung is the best hope that Android has for market dominance. Samsung provides Google an entire ecosystem of devices sporting Android. Outside of Sony, nobody else is even in the ballpark today.

LQX

Kinda disappointed that the left hand side of my screen is raised like half a mm up but for the price I'm not really too fussed. Apart from that this thing is amazing, lightning fast and really slick.

I've found myself a GAF reader.

How much did you pay that you don't mind a defect in your new product?

Cheebo

Banned
They should. Samsung is the best hope that Android has for market dominance. Samsung provides Google an entire ecosystem of devices sporting Android. Outside of Sony, nobody else is even in the ballpark today.

I wouldn't really count Sony. They are a non-factor in consumer electronics nowadays, fading out into complete irrelevance. Samsung is Androids real best shot in terms of quality hardware that consumers want to buy. Samsung is the king of consumer electronics these days (not counting Apple, even though they have iPods they are really more of a computer company. iPhones and iPads are just mini portable computers. Samsung is the full on consumer electronics sort of company with tv's and speakers and all that stuff.).

Seik

Banned
Daaaah, I'll be damned.

I'll try and go get a refund at Staples, pretending its not useful to me and that I want to get a laptop instead. I hope they won't notice that shit and refund me so I can be done with it.

I just don't want to get in this clusterfuck of RMAs. It'll just be a never ending cycle where I'll always find something to exchange the next one I'll get. I mean, they all seems to have at least one problem, ALL!

The perfect ones seems to be rare, at this point, we have a fucking problem....

=_=

Gnub

Daaaah, I'll be damned.

I'll try and go get a refund at Staples, pretending its not useful to me and that I want to get a laptop instead. I hope they won't notice that shit and refund me so I can be done with it.

I just don't want to get in this clusterfuck of RMAs. It'll just be a never ending cycle where I'll always find something to exchange the next one I'll get. I mean, they all seems to have at least one problem, ALL!

The perfect ones seems to be rare, at this point, we have a fucking problem....

=_=
My unit is fine. I keep the case on it at all times though. This thread had me worried while waiting for Google to ship.

My unit is fine. I keep the case on it at all times though. This thread had me worried while waiting for Google to ship.

mine was fine when I received it. The screen became creaky after two weeks of use, the rma unit has slight creaky screen out of box. I'm waiting for the 2nd rma unit. lol.

Seik

Banned
Its done, I got my refund.

Its sad, I liked this tablet a lot, its such a shame it was so rushed that the built quality got the hit.

It was fun for the time I got it. 3DS it will be I guess, we'll see.

I really llike like the look of the slim fit cases

517Mc67T0eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

anyone try these out?

Can someone explain how backspacing works when typing on this thing? It seems to randomly delete words and bunch them together. Not sure if it's some sort of predictive feature I don't understand or if it's just broken. It is seriously annoying.

Top Bottom