• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Sorry I was going to edit my post to make it less useless and forgot. This tablet is the biggest competitor for amazon's kindle tablets, and there's 0 chance it will\ be sold by them aside from other sellers that put it on the site.
It was worth a shot to ask. Amazon sells just about every other tablet. It makes sense they wouldn't, though.

Lace

Well after lurking this thread I finally broke down and grabbed one. Even though it's not for me I'm excited to see a it in person. I'm still pretty amazed this is being sold for $200

Kurdel

Banned
This tablet is not made to hoard media on it. Cloud services and easily redownloadable apps make the 8 gig a non issue.

I really hope this thing and Jellybean drives Apple to work overtime. I am probably one of the biggest Apple fans on Gaf, but I am really liking what I am seeing here.

I hope it isn't locked to only run apps from the store. I was planning to write some of my own apps (in fact, that's the main reason I'm buying an Android device). If it's locked, I'm going to call and cancel my order. It would be nearly useless to me.

I'm sure the XDA guys will root it anyway.

I hope it isn't locked to only run apps from the store. I was planning to write some of my own apps (in fact, that's the main reason I'm buying an Android device). If it's locked, I'm going to call and cancel my order. It would be nearly useless to me.

All you do is go into settings>security>and enable installs from unknown sources. Also ALL nexus devices are easily able to unlock the bootloader and root it. Google encourages it actually. And you don't need root to create software and test it on either a Android phone or tablet. You just need to enable USB debugging in phone setting and then install the app via eclipse directly to the device. I've made a few apps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Fluffy+Delusions

Well after lurking this thread I finally broke down and grabbed one. Even though it's not for me I'm excited to see a it in person. I'm still pretty amazed this is being sold for $200

So are some of Google's Android partners who are trying to make tablets too. They can't be happy that they are struggling to make a mark in this market and Google dumps out with zero regard to making a profit off the hardware.

zbeeb

Heard some rumblings that Nexus7 doesn't use tablet style split interface for gmail, settings etc. Can anyone confirm?

So are some of Google's Android partners who are trying to make tablets too. They can't be happy that they are struggling to make a mark in this market and Google dumps out with zero regard to making a profit off the hardware.

Competition sucks.

Ordered.

ju6vfFoM4LFb.jpg

adroit

And you don't need root to create software and test it on either a Android phone or tablet. You just need to enable USB debugging in phone setting and then install the app via eclipse directly to the device.
Thank you. That's what I just found on the android.com site.

http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

You can use any Android-powered device as an environment for running, debugging, and testing your applications. The tools included in the SDK make it easy to install and run your application on the device each time you compile. You can install your application on the device directly from Eclipse or from the command line with ADB.

I think this could end up being more damaging to Nook Tablet than Kindle Fire.

Amazon still has a robust (but clunky) media ecosystem going for it. With the Nexus 7 out, the only big advantage Nook Tablet has is expandable memory. And with the general public, that's probably not much of a selling point.

I think this could end up being more damaging to Nook Tablet than Kindle Fire.

Amazon still has a robust (but clunky) media ecosystem going for it. With the Nexus 7 out, the only big advantage Nook Tablet has is expandable memory. And with the general public, that's probably not much of a selling point.

Was the nook even selling all that well. I don't know anyone with one though I do know some people with Kindle Fires

Competition sucks.

No one can compete with that. Why some of those partners will even bother trying is beyond me. The only way they can compete on that price is with lesser specs and the other Android tablet manufacturers have to make a profit on the hardware.

This has to be a bit similar to how MS partners felt when they unveiled the Surface as well.

No one can compete with that. Why some of those partners will even bother trying is beyond me. The only way they can compete on that price is with lesser specs and the other Android tablet manufacturers have to make a profit on the hardware.

This has to be a bit similar to how MS partners felt when they unveiled the Surface as well.

But MS never announced prices so who knows really

kehs

Banned
I don't think this will hurt oems too much, there weren't much people lining up to make seven inch tablets in the first place, and those that did were way too similarly priced for 10" tablets and made them seem overpriced. I don't think there's many people who would pay over $300 for a seven inch tablet.

zbeeb

The competition can definitely compete.

How about wider availability? Different features (SD, Rear camera, MHL, etc etc)? Different UI (some people do prefer touchwiz, sense, etc)?

Unlike the technically minded, some consumers do not see the value in ordering a tablet directly from google when they can pop down to the shops and get one that's the 'same,' except it has the label of a trusted electronics brand on there.

I don't think this will hurt oems too much, there weren't much people lining up to make seven inch tablets in the first place, and those that did were way too similarly priced for 10" tablets and made them seem overpriced. I don't think there's many people who would pay over $300 for a seven inch tablet.

Exactly, this is direct strike at amazon and b+n who make discount tablets that use android but not google play. The samsung tab 7.7 has only just come down to $400 in Australia ffs.

The most popular Android tablet is a 7" one (Kindle Fire). Also remember prices come down over time. I remember nvidia said this day would come not to long ago...a quad core tegra 3 for less than $200 and it was pretty hard to believe at the time. I think they said this before the first tegra 3 device even came out iirc

giga

Netgears Readynas line are top notch and their service is fantastic. I had one fry out after about 5 years and they replaced it after running diagnostics for a bit, and Synology has oodles of features, Both are apple friendly.

I really can't see myself transferring stuff over to the tablet, just to watch the content. g network is more than sufficient to watch 1080p videos(if you've already ripped them to that).

Six gb is on the lean side, but that's why there's a 16gb model, and if your even more worried there are tons of other solutions, even from Asus themselves!, but you know this. =P

Travelers can get a usb drive or a wifi drive. I mean, it's a $200 tablet after all.
Damn, this shit is expensive for such paltry hardware! I might just load an old PC box with FreeNas instead. I want to keep power consumption as low as possible though.

No one can compete with that. Why some of those partners will even bother trying is beyond me.

Yes they can. NVIDIA developed the Kai platform specifically to hit extremely low price points.

Also Google said they aren't making profit. They never said Asus isn't making profit.

kehs

Banned
The most popular Android tablet is a 7" one (Kindle Fire). Also remember prices come down over time. I remember nvidia said this day would come not to long ago...a quad core tegra 3 for less than $200 and it was pretty hard to believe at the time. I think they said this before the first tegra 3 device even came out iirc

Look at the kindle's price and it's (lack) of profit margin. Nobody would have paid 50% more for it. It sold on it's dirt cheap price, not on it's merit. The N7 appears to have both.

Damn, this shit is expensive for such paltry hardware! I might just load an old PC box with FreeNas instead. I want to keep power consumption as low as possible though.

The lack of maintenance, accessibility, and redudancy more than make up for it. I think the lower ends synologys are like $250 before disks. I almost build a NAS box instead, but I'm really glad I didn't in hindsight, a box is too high maintenance for me.

If a drive dies, just switch it out, likewise when you want to expand.

Yes they can. NVIDIA developed the Kai platform specifically to hit extremely low price points.

Also Google said they aren't making profit. They never said Asus isn't making profit.

How is the performance with Kai? Is it solid?

And true, Asus is probably making something off the tablet, otherwise they wouldn't partner with Google, who is handling marketing, distribution and so on. Things that the other manufacturers are going to have to handle on their own. It is going to be a challenge for others to compete with this price point, but consumers have got a good Android tablet at last.

Raistlin

Competition sucks.
It's not really competition when they're subsidizing the product.

That's not to say Google doesn't have the right to do it, but it also doesn't mean partners aren't valid in being upset. They structured a business model along with Google in good faith as OEM's for the OS. Now Google is essentially killing off a market tier.

It's not like these sorts of business plans are drafted on a napkin over drinks one night. There's a ton of time and money involved. They have every right to be upset, and logically this can have implications for the future.

Wait, what? Jellybean source code is going to be released in mid-July, how is Google supposed to prevent OEMs from using openly available code?

Lies from some weird site lol. Google gave away Galaxy Nexus's with it preinstalled at IO + it's already all over XDA. I'm running it on my Nexus

Raistlin

Andrex, you should probably add to OP that there is no MHL support either according to Engadget
Wait ... what? So HDMI docks can't happen now?

Also when you say 'either' ... what do you mean? Is there something else that got shit canned?

Husker86

Wait, what? Jellybean source code is going to be released in mid-July, how is Google supposed to prevent OEMs from using openly available code?

Google could decide to not allow OEMs to have a Google-approved device which means they run Android without PlayStore. AOSP doesn't have Google apps.

kehs

Banned
Carphone Warehouse probably has a four month deal to be the exclusive retail distributor and took liberties with the interpretation.

Like Verizon did.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Apparently the preorders have been pretty good. They already sold out of the 16 gig here in Canada.

Phoenix

This makes no sense. They said in the keynote that they've provided the Jellybean PDK to their hardware partners a few weeks ago.

Their partners have had ICS for over a year and it OS has at best 7.5% penetration. Getting the platform to the hardware guys doesn't really matter as far as time to market. Be glad its just a few months. A huge volume of the devices running 2.3 will NEVER get anything but 2.3.

Phoenix

Yep. That's why the Nexus 7 (as with all the Google dev giveaways) are crippled in some way or another. No hardware vendor is going to slit their own throat by building a full consumer rig at a cheap price for Google.

adroit

What was the tax?
That's determined by where you live. Only someone who lives in the same state and city can answer that question.

For me, all I had to pay was Colorado state sales tax because the county and city we live in only collects out-of-area tax on construction materials (!).

GameStop plans to sell Nexus 7, starts taking Android tablet trade-ins via Engadget

Google's Andy Rubin suggested the Nexus 7 would reach third-party US stores eventually -- we just didn't think it would be this quickly. GameStop says it's taking pre-orders for the 16GB version of the Android 4.1 tablet starting today. At $249, it will cost exactly what it does in its currently exclusive Google Play home; in other words, one of the parties involved could be taking a voluntary hit on the already razor-thin profit margins. The 7-inch slate should be arriving roughly at the same mid-July timeframe as it is for those ordering straight from the Google source.

It wouldn't be GameStop if there weren't trade-ins involved, and sure enough, the game retailer is using the Nexus 7 as the lure. Confirming an earlier leak, the chain is now accepting Android tablet trade-ins worth up to $200 in cash (or $250 in store credit) depending on how pristine the hardware is coming into the store. Play your cards right, and you're very nearly getting the Google-blessed tablet for free. As an extra incentive, any gear whose exchange goes directly towards buying the Nexus 7 will get a 30 percent boost in value. Knowing the buzz surrounding the price-to-performance ratio of the ASUS-made Nexus, we won't be surprised if GameStop suddenly faces a glut of older Android tablets in its backrooms.

reKon

Banned
The slickdeals thread actually has a lot of useful information:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/762...blet-25-credit-to-the-play-store-16gb-249-8gb

From slickdeals:

Ships Soon: Ships in 2 - 3 weeks.

you can return within 15 days. 15% restocking fee for opened box, shipping not refundable

No Micro SD card..

For those of you thinking storage is a deal breaker, you may want to read this: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/433685-so-you-want-more-storage-space.html

Essentially, you should be able to add a micro usb to usb converter/cable and hook up a thumb drive.It's clunky--but if you're stuck in a hotel or a long flight and need storage--it should work. Here is a link to an adapter on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FUNYSA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This "unbroke" the deal for me. -adavis99

No HDMI..

THERE IS NO MHL. Despite all the documents you may find and read and discuss, I work at Google and there is absolutely no MHL. Costs too much (not just hardware, but license, encryption keys, etc).

Here are screenshots of the specs and a couple of accessories.

Quick specs comparison vs KF, NT and Samsung Galaxy 2 7"
http://www.cheapnycnotebooks.net/WordPress/2012/06/27/nexus-7-vs-the-top-7-inches-tablets/
http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7/specs

Video of the keynote, if you want to see it in action (new virtual tour feature in Maps, for example)
http://youtu.be/dJGiEQgaZYs

Izick

Hm, I wonder if I should buy one at Gamestop then. No shipping fee obviously is a plus. I wonder if it's day and date as on the Google Play store, or really close?

Pein

Banned
Even though I have the new ipad I want the nexus 7 so bad. If its day and date with google play I'll go buy it at gamestop since I have $200 in credit already.

Top Bottom