• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Agent X

I saw this CNET article a few days ago, which describes how to connect USB peripherals to several Android devices (including the Nexus 7) using a simple and inexpensive adapter:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...nects-usb-accessories-to-your-android-device/

There's a link in the article to one of these adapters that's being sold through Amazon, which is selling for a mere 86¢.

Has anyone here tried this adapter yet (the one from Amazon), or one that is similar? I understand the Nexus 7 doesn't support USB mass storage devices unless it's rooted, but I figure this could be a good way of connecting a cheap USB keyboard for text entry, or utilizing one of my spare PS3 controllers for gaming.

Cartman86

Banned
I have that one and love it.

It doesnt add too much bulk, it feels like its protecting the tablet (I dont have the balls to drop it and see), and the smart cover is nice. The stand functionality is good too.

Yep got this one and like it much better than the thicker ones. Fits in my back pocket again and doesn't get in the way of the edge of the touch screen. Locks real tight (maybe too tight), folds back, and has the nice one handed strap.

Fantasmo

I saw this CNET article a few days ago, which describes how to connect USB peripherals to several Android devices (including the Nexus 7) using a simple and inexpensive adapter:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...nects-usb-accessories-to-your-android-device/

There's a link in the article to one of these adapters that's being sold through Amazon, which is selling for a mere 86¢.

Has anyone here tried this adapter yet (the one from Amazon), or one that is similar? I understand the Nexus 7 doesn't support USB mass storage devices unless it's rooted, but I figure this could be a good way of connecting a cheap USB keyboard for text entry, or utilizing one of my spare PS3 controllers for gaming.
Works great. You can use a PC USB controller for gaming. PS3 wireless requires rooting though.

The Youtube videos of this thing got to me and I just ordered an 8GB version from Google Play. I'm going to sell my LE1600 to cover some of the costs.

Never owned an Android device or a real tablet I could read books on comfortably for that matter. Hope I'm not let down. =/

SimleuqiR

The Youtube videos of this thing got to me and I just ordered an 8GB version from Google Play. I'm going to sell my LE1600 to cover some of the costs.

Never owned an Android device or a real tablet I could read books on comfortably for that matter. Hope I'm not let down. =/

Jelly Bean is great for your first Android device. Once you experience pure Android is going to be difficult to use any other versions (regardless of what nifty things OEMs add to them).

My sister and brother got one, without me talking to them about it. The only thing slowing the 7 down is the supply issue.

ChanHuk

Banned
I got the dreaded screen lift on my 7. Don't think Office Depot has any left, how long it take you guys to get a replacement from Google?

ChanHuk

Banned

If you're getting one to soley read books, you'll be disappointed. Get a Nook or Kindle, your eyes will thank you for it.

Slime

Banned
Today was the last day to return mine. Waited until the very last day in Future Shop's return window, but still no stock.

Hopefully this means they're working out the issues with the hardware and the build quality of the next batch of units won't suck. I can't believe it's mid-August and I'm still having the deal with this crap.

ChanHuk

Banned
Today was the last day to return mine. Waited until the very last day in Future Shop's return window, but still no stock.

Hopefully this means they're working out the issues with the hardware and the build quality of the next batch of units won't suck. I can't believe it's mid-August and I'm still having the deal with this crap.

I just got back from Office Depot, they had a new shipment in and sold out of the 16GB. I exchanged my 8GB and the guy said this wasn't the first time someone's exchanged theirs.

Levi

Banned
If you're getting one to soley read books, you'll be disappointed. Get a Nook or Kindle, your eyes will thank you for it.

I've read 86 books so far this year, all but two on a Fire or my Nexus 7. I read at night and love having a backlit screen.

Cigol

Kindle is better for reading, as it's easier on your eyes for sure, but ... I've migrated to the Nexus 7 in spite of that. There's still a lot to be said for the battery and purity of the kindle though, I mean you could throw it in your bag and not worry about it for month(s), but I've surprised myself in that I prefer to read on the nexus 7.

ChanHuk

Banned
Alright so I unboxed my exchanged 7 from Office Depot. This one has a little bit of screen lift on the left side. Not as bad as the other unit. I think I'll call Google and see if they can send me another unit.

Jeff-DSA

At my work they're going to start giving away Nexus 7s for people who hit goals. The goals are pretty simple, so pretty soon everybody around here will have one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just got one, I'm wondering if there's a way to skip to the top of a page in chrome, like tapping the top bar in iOS, or not.

DXPett1

Works great. You can use a PC USB controller for gaming. PS3 wireless requires rooting though.

This is incorrect

For a start the only thing that adapter will give you is the abilty to plug in mass storage devices (like USB Flash keys) into the Nexus 7.
Game Controllers have been supported since ICS (and other USB devices since Honeycomb). To use a Dual Shock with your Nexus 7 follow these steps

reKon

Banned
I just connected my mouse to my GNex using USB OTG... and every function including some of the short cuts (forward and back) works *mind blown*

Zeth

Hoping I can find a USB to micro USB dongle at best but today so I can mess around with the ps3 controller. Is rooti g the N7 relatively easy, and can it be done with a Mac?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does the scrolling in apps feel funny to other people who've only used iOS stuff, too? It just feels so herky-jerky at times. Big flicks stop scrolling way too abruptly instead of just flowing, stuff like that. I guess my thumb has to adjust, wonder if anyone else had the same problem...

Just had my mobile bill through and it's £20 more thanks to the ineptness of Google's telephone 'support'.
Is it worth dropping them an email to see if they'll reimburse me given how much I was lied to/had to keep calling back and holding? Never mind the fact that I then had to drive 16 miles to collect the bugger. I'd settle for it back in Play credit to be honest.

Does the scrolling in apps feel funny to other people who've only used iOS stuff, too? It just feels so herky-jerky at times. Big flicks stop scrolling way too abruptly instead of just flowing, stuff like that. I guess my thumb has to adjust, wonder if anyone else had the same problem...

Welcome to Android.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's not 'funny,' it's just different. I prefer Android's way because you can move much more quickly.

mattiewheels

It's not 'funny,' it's just different. I prefer Android's way because you can move much more quickly.
From what I've seen so far, is it more reliant on the actual length of the swipe? Maybe that's why my quick thumbswipes end up being jerky.

Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but being the first iteration of the Nexus 7, would it be better to wait for the next version? Any clear improvements that can be made?

I'm kinda waiting on news on the Ipad mini, but no pad before has made me want to pull the trigger like this one. I went to Staples, and of course they didn't have one. I would have pulled the trigger.

Is it safe to buy it now?

Aiii

So not worth it
Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but being the first iteration of the Nexus 7, would it be better to wait for the next version? Any clear improvements that can be made?

I'm kinda waiting on news on the Ipad mini, but no pad before has made me want to pull the trigger like this one. I went to Staples, and of course they didn't have one. I would have pulled the trigger.

It's just a piece of hardware by Asus running Android. It's not really a case of being the "first" of anything. It's not the first Android Tablet, not the first Asus Tablet, etc.

For it's price it's pretty advanced as far as hardware goes. Waiting another year or so won't help much. Sure, it'll have some newer hardware, but that will make little difference. It's perfectly safe to buy this now.

Cipherr

I doubt there is a new version of a Nexus 7 until this time next year mate. If you want one, call some local places and find somewhere with them in stock. Then just check your tab in your car before you leave to make sure its fine. You can walk back in and exchange it if somethings wrong.

Ordering online you have to ship it back if somethings wrong, and that takes days.

ChanHuk

Banned
So Google only provides hardware exchanges if you buy the 7 from them? I understand their logic, ah well, back to office depot.

Zeth

Yeah especially in the browser. Its extremely unresponsive and jerky. Also the rendering when pinch zooming is really slow, iOS is instant by comparison.

Threi

notag
That's not an android problem, its a chrome problem. The browser is...not so great. The stock jellybean browser is better but it requires some tinkering (and root) to install. Only thing is that chrome does tab/bookmark sync real well.

Give dolphin HD, firefox beta, or xscope a shot.

LQX

That's not an android problem, its a chrome problem. The browser is...not so great. The stock jellybean browser is better but it requires some tinkering (and root) to install. Only thing is that chrome does tab/bookmark sync real well.

Give dolphin HD, firefox beta, or xscope a shot.

No, terrible browser with a ridiculous auto-hide address bar. I really do not understand why so many recommend that browser.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I sort of want this, but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a bad unit and having to go through returns. Problem is I'm not sure if this will ever actually get better even if I wait a few months. Grrrrr...

With the recent Samsung talk in the thread, I thought I'd chime in and say that my wife got a Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) the other day. Build quality fantastic, OS (ICS) sexy as hell. Color me (Ipad 1 user) envious.

ChanHuk

Banned
I sort of want this, but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a bad unit and having to go through returns. Problem is I'm not sure if this will ever actually get better even if I wait a few months. Grrrrr...

I'm on unit number 3, just exchanged it with Office Depot. Kinda on the fence about opening it up and just taking it back all together.

ChanHuk

Banned
With the recent Samsung talk in the thread, I thought I'd chime in and say that my wife got a Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) the other day. Build quality fantastic, OS (ICS) sexy as hell. Color me (Ipad 1 user) envious.

The student edition is quite a good deal with the keyboard and usb connector for $250. Specs on it are lacking compared to the Nexus 7 but if it doesn't have the build quality of the Nexus 7, its already a win.

rozay

Banned
Why does the default keyboard not have key popups when typing, unlike every other android device I've used? Can't seem to find a way to enable it in keyboard settings either..

Top Bottom