• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Why does the default keyboard not have key popups when typing, unlike every other android device I've used? Can't seem to find a way to enable it in keyboard settings either..

I wondered the same thing. But I think it's because the keys are so large, they probably decided that the pop was unnecessary.

I miss it.

Picobrain

Banned
Ok guys so what is THE best available tablet right now for reading books, comics and manga? I don't care about apps or anything else I just want best reading experience that tablet has to offer.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Ok guys so what is THE best available tablet right now for reading books, comics and manga? I don't care about apps or anything else I just want best reading experience that tablet has to offer.

youre in the Nexus 7 thread. you know what answer youre going to get

rozay

Banned
iPad, dat retinas
Weight should be a factor when it comes to reading too, and a 7 inch tablet will be much easier on the arm for extended periods. Can't go wrong with either I think, the pixel density is great on the N7 even when placed next to the iPad.

Cheebo

Banned
Weight should be a factor when it comes to reading too, and a 7 inch tablet will be much easier on the arm for extended periods. Can't go wrong with either I think, the pixel density is great on the N7 even when placed next to the iPad.
Well rumor is iPad mini is going to be nearly half the weight of the nexus 7, and that will be revealed sept 12th.

His best bet is to wait a few weeks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well rumor is iPad mini is going to be nearly half the weight of the nexus 7, and that will be revealed sept 12th.

His best bet is to wait a few weeks.

Yeah, buying a Nexus 7 right now seems crazy unless you already know for sure that you prefer Android.

Especially with the rumors on weight.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Weight has never been an issue for ze nexus >.< unless you are like... anorexic... then maybe.

You say that until you get used to something lighter.

I am sure there is a point where weight becomes irrelevant, and making it lighter does little good, but I don't think the Nexus 7 is there yet. The Kindle is close, but I think that could even get lighter and be much improved for it.

I could never use a 7 inch tablet to read comics. The screen is just too small, IMO.

Nonetheless, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Nexus, even though it'd basically just be a backup to my iPad. I'm kind of debating about buying one and trying to turn it into a car stereo head. I'm not sure I have the skill to pull that off properly, though.

Mairu

I think a 7" tablet is OK for comics but I can understand people who think it's too small. I used to have an Asus TF which was amazing for comics but definitely too big for reading eBooks and stuff

ChanHuk

Banned
I use my phone for quick on-the-go web surfing and such. If I'm sitting down, I'll bring out the tablet. In all honesty, I would rather have a Macbook Air but $200 vs $1000 is a big difference. I haven't opened up my THIRD Nexus 7, I'm on the fence of just returning it and seeing what the iPad mini has to offer.

I don't think there's a best all in one device. I cannot read actual books on a tablet or on a monitor. My eyes would bleed after about 30 minutes of reading text. It's a pain to carry two devices but my Nook has saved my eyes for when I want to read books. I don't read comics so I can't comment. I also don't have experience with the new iPad but that screen is gorgeous.

Cheebo

Banned
Meh, not really, the product feels good, too light and it wouldnt, knowwhatimsaying?!

The kindle feels better due to its lightness and the iPad mini will weight about the same as a Kindle 3 based on the rumors going around. I am not sure how it won't feel good if it was lighter when we have similarly sized devices (the kindle and nook) that around what the weight of the mini will be and feel fantastic.

But like the post above said, unless you absolutley know you prefer the Android OS it would be best to wait with the iPad mini mere weeks away. And then compare which best fits your needs of all the tablets.

Not to mention we will likely see Kindle Fire 2 any day now as well.

ChanHuk

Banned
I also forgot to mention +1 for the Kindle Fire in that Amazon's ecosystem is MUCH better than Google's Play Store. It has a much larger selection and books are usually cheaper on Amazon. Just a thought.

Argyle

I also forgot to mention +1 for the Kindle Fire in that Amazon's ecosystem is MUCH better than Google's Play Store. It has a much larger selection and books are usually cheaper on Amazon. Just a thought.

How is that a +1 when really the only thing you miss out on is Amazon Instant Video if you buy a Nexus over a Kindle Fire, given that Amazon has most of their stuff on vanilla Android?

With a Nexus you can buy books on Amazon, Google Play, Kobo, probably other places that I don't even know about (there's a Nook client right?)...

Cheebo

Banned
Is the mini not going to have an aluminum back?

Apparently it will have the same back as the iPod touch. But this is the weight that is expected vs. the Nexus 7:
&#8226;Kindle 3 (3G): 247 grams
&#8226;iPad Mini (Rumored): 265 grams
&#8226;Nexus 7: 340 grams

rozay

Banned
Apparently it will have the same back as the iPod touch. But this is the weight that is expected vs. the Nexus 7:
•Kindle 3 (3G): 247 grams
•iPad Mini (Rumored): 265 grams
•Nexus 7: 340 grams
Ew7AH.png

Vyer

I can't get used to Swiftkey, it seems like it sucks as a keyboard but is godlike at predicting text.

Also, what was the consensus on the best browser? Not too impressed with Chrome.

ChanHuk

Banned
How is that a +1 when really the only thing you miss out on is Amazon Instant Video if you buy a Nexus over a Kindle Fire, given that Amazon has most of their stuff on vanilla Android?

With a Nexus you can buy books on Amazon, Google Play, Kobo, probably other places that I don't even know about (there's a Nook client right?)...

Amazon Instant Video is a pretty big deal if you have Amazon Prime.

giga

&#8226;Kindle 3 (3G): 247 grams
&#8226;iPad Mini (Rumored): 265 grams
&#8226;Nexus 7: 340 grams
All leaks have indicated that it will be the same aluminum back as the iPad. I don't know where you're getting iPod touch chrome back from. 265 grams is also really unrealistic. Expect more.

Cheebo

Banned
All leaks have indicated that it will be the same aluminum back as the iPad. I don't know where you're getting iPod touch aluminum from. 265 grams is also really unrealistic. Expect more.

I assumed the iPod touch had the same one as the iPad. Apparently it is much worse I guess. I never had one, I always just had a iPhone.

rozay

Banned
I assumed the iPod touch had the same one as the iPad. Apparently it is much worse I guess. I never had one, I always just had a iPhone.
The iPod touch uses chrome that scratches and scuffs if you stare at it. On a 7 inch tablet, it's going to look like a murder scene after a week for people that don't like to use cases.

I believe it's the same crap they used on the 5th gen iPods and old iPod nanos.

Cool thing is you can have the Kindle, Nook and Play store apps all on your N7 and want for nothing ebook wise.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Probably late but I just want to say that the nexus 7 is pretty much PERFECT when it comes to reading manga and books.

Comics work better on iPad, but size wise Nexus 7 is so much better for manga and books.

sca2511

Probably late but I just want to say that the nexus 7 is pretty much PERFECT when it comes to reading manga and books.

Comics work better on iPad, but size wise Nexus 7 is so much better for manga and books.

In my experience, this is true. Though an iPad or similarly sized tablet is best for comics, the guided view in Comixology is a godsend for the N7.

In my experience, this is true. Though an iPad or similarly sized tablet is best for comics, the guided view in Comixology is a godsend for the N7.

I find it just as easy to have it set to horizontal view and scroll down for most comics though, I've had no issues yet!

My only gripe with Comixology is the amount of missing stuff, I recently tried to get into the House of M & Civil War story arcs but quite a few issues are missing from it.

I might have to start on Avengers vs X men though.

Sarquiss_

Just picked up a 16GB Nexus 7. So far I am amazed at how awesome this device is. I have an iPad 3 and love it but wanted something that was a bit lighter and easier to manage on the long train ride to work.

Haven't noticed any issues so far but after reading all of the issues I paid an additional $69 for 3 years extended warranty which also covers the battery.

Anyways, Android has come a long way since the Gingerbread and HoneyComb days. Jellybean is so fluid. Now just give me a 7" Jellybean tablet with a retina display and I can die happy :D.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The screen is pretty close to retina, just 4 shy of the 220 ppi of the retina macbook pro, though of course you usually look at the macbook pro further away.

Basically, it's already a really nice screen. Don't worry about it. :p

Sarquiss_

Just compared my iPad 3 to the Nexus 7 and have noticed that the Nexus 7 has a yellow tint to the screen. Colors also appear to be washed out :(

I think I saw a couple of others with similar tints. Is this something to worry about or am I nitpicking?

Top Bottom