• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Threi

notag
Yeah N7's are known to have a warmer that normal screen and more muted colours.

No, terrible browser with a ridiculous auto-hide address bar. I really do not understand why so many recommend that browser.
I don't use it as my main browser at all but i haven't seen anything particularly wrong with it.

Either way i'm not recommending it, just listing it as an alternative. I personally still use chrome, despite it's flaws.

So does anyone know what's going on with the touchscreen issues with the NExus 7. There have been those reports of the right side of the screen not really responding to touch/tap/slide commands. The user then needs to put the unit to sleep and resume to get responsiveness back to normal.

I'm currently getting that a lot with my nexus 7. Did Google/Asus say they're going to fix that via software? or is it a hardware issue that I'll need to send the unit in for?

I think Chrome on JB is pretty great.

One nagging question, though: How do I stop a certain domain from automatically reverting to the mobile version? I keep hitting "Request desktop site" when I go to Wikipedia and it never works.

Mobile Wikipedia sucks and is totally pointless on a seven-inch tablet. Regular Wikipedia looks great on it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I think Chrome on JB is pretty great.

One nagging question, though: How do I stop a certain domain from automatically reverting to the mobile version? I keep hitting "Request desktop site" when I go to Wikipedia and it never works.

Mobile Wikipedia sucks and is totally pointless on a seven-inch tablet. Regular Wikipedia looks great on it.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Desktop version.

adroit

So does anyone know what's going on with the touchscreen issues with the NExus 7. There have been those reports of the right side of the screen not really responding to touch/tap/slide commands. The user then needs to put the unit to sleep and resume to get responsiveness back to normal.

I'm currently getting that a lot with my nexus 7. Did Google/Asus say they're going to fix that via software? or is it a hardware issue that I'll need to send the unit in for?
I very strongly suspect (but could be wrong) that this is due to having your left thumb on the bezel (blank glass border). If you have your thumb on the bezel, there is a very good chance it is being detected by the touch screen (because the side bezels are so narrow). Then that screws up the interpretation of any touches you make with your right hand.

I always palm the Nexus in my left hand so none of my fingers are touching the glass. I never have problems with touches registering properly. I tap on the right side of the display to turn pages in the Google Books reader and FBReader. The page always turns. Never fails.

So my advice is to keep your fingers off the side bezels. See if it helps. If not, my hunch is wrong.

iUS9Mt9AU7Uxe.gif

Perfect response. It blows my mind that Apple still makes devices with that terrible chrome back. Fingerprint and scratch magnet to the max.

Still, the rumors of such a light device are very appealing. I find the Nexus 7 fairly good for reading comics. It's fairly light, and the pixel density is quite good, but you still have to rely on zoom/guided view to get the job done most of the time. Comics on the new iPad look amazing and the screen size is very close to ideal, but the device is so heavy that it's not comfortable reading on it unless its sitting on a desk or something. If the new iPad mini has got a retina display then I'd say that's a *very* viable contender for comics on the go

rozay

Banned
Perfect response. It blows my mind that Apple still makes devices with that terrible chrome back. Fingerprint and scratch magnet to the max.

Still, the rumors of such a light device are very appealing. I find the Nexus 7 fairly good for reading comics. It's fairly light, and the pixel density is quite good, but you still have to rely on zoom/guided view to get the job done most of the time. Comics on the new iPad look amazing and the screen size is very close to ideal, but the device is so heavy that it's not comfortable reading on it unless its sitting on a desk or something. If the new iPad mini has got a retina display then I'd say that's a *very* viable contender for comics on the go
If they're gunning for the $200 pricepoint, it's not going to have a retina display. Consumers won't care about that.

Vyer

I'd imagine there will be an Amazon Instant Video app for Android at some point, if there isn't one already. The iOS one came out a week or two ago.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

A lot of people have been reporting the same (or a very similar) issue with the Galaxy Nexus. The screen gets less sensitive over time, and is brought back to full sensitivity by putting the phone to sleep and waking it up again. So I'm gonna say that this is most likely a software issue, given that they both run the same version of Android. Would be pretty weird if they both had such similar hardware issues.

Here is an XDA thread on the GNex issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1576739

ChanHuk

Banned
I have Amazon Prime and I think I have watched a movie on Amazon Instant Video once (via my TV).

IMHO it is not a primary reason to choose a Kindle over a Nexus.

I'm going to assume you have Netflix.

Well, made up my mind. This thing is going back. It's still sealed, I'm on my 3rd unit for screen separation, don't want to even bother right now until the issue is sorted out. It's a great tablet, build quality just sucks.

Cartman86

Banned
A lot of people have been reporting the same (or a very similar) issue with the Galaxy Nexus. The screen gets less sensitive over time, and is brought back to full sensitivity by putting the phone to sleep and waking it up again. So I'm gonna say that this is most likely a software issue, given that they both run the same version of Android. Would be pretty weird if they both had such similar hardware issues.

Here is an XDA thread on the GNex issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1576739

I'm skeptical of this. My OG Droid had this issue and replacing it fixed it (installing different ROMS did not). My first Nexus 7 had the same problem too. Replacing it fixed the issue.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Just compared my iPad 3 to the Nexus 7 and have noticed that the Nexus 7 has a yellow tint to the screen. Colors also appear to be washed out :(

I think I saw a couple of others with similar tints. Is this something to worry about or am I nitpicking?

I think the yellow is just there to make it so the screen is easier on your eyes. I find it quite pleasant.

womp

I think the yellow is just there to make it so the screen is easier on your eyes. I find it quite pleasant.

Yeah, we've had four iPod Touches in our home over the years (Down to one now, they are obsolete hehe) and each one had either a yellow or bluer tint to them. I personally prefer the yellower tint because it makes colors pop more and is warmer.

Same kind of discussion is going on over in the 3DS XL impressions thread on the gaming side. People getting all up in arms about the yellower display, which for all intents and purposes is 'normal'.

Cartman86

Banned
thinking of giving this as a gift. can it play abc.go.com shows?

It doesn't work using Chrome because it requires flash. It worked in X Scope browser using the flash player app I side loaded. Though if the person you are getting this for wants it to just work I don't know how useful this will be since you have to side load flash and then it occasionally crashes the browser when you start playing flash content. Once it starts and its going it works. Full screen works too on that site which I was surprised by because many others don't.

Apex Launcher also has that feature.

In that picture, I was using Nova launcher with the ICS search bar option.

That's what it looked like in Ice Cream Sandwich. For some reason they decided to make it look worse in Jelly Bean. If you want to get that style back you'll need a custom launcher with that option.

Hmm, thanks.

I'll probably just stick with stock. It's not a big enough to deal to bother with a launcher.

I have Amazon Prime and I think I have watched a movie on Amazon Instant Video once (via my TV).

IMHO it is not a primary reason to choose a Kindle over a Nexus.

If you buy new TV episodes over Amazon like I do, it would be awesome to watch them on an N7.

That said, I'm never going to buy a tablet from Amazon. They'd really have to blow me away to get me interested.

Slime

Banned
Third attempt today. More dead pixels. = \

Must have got the last one because they were out of stock when I went back in to exchange it, so I guess I'll have to hold on to it for a while.

*This close* to admitting defeat.

Emily Chu

Banned
Third attempt today. More dead pixels. = \

Must have got the last one because they were out of stock when I went back in to exchange it, so I guess I'll have to hold on to it for a while.

jesus fuck maybe a 200$ tablet was a bad idea

at least for quality control purposes

midonnay

I love my nexus 7....use it for hours a day.....

but the first return has got me paranoid :/

every speck of dust is an "oh shit please no" moment....

I guess I know how the early adopters of x360/ps3 feel like :p

zeioIIDX

I don't have any dead pixels but...I have actually noticed near the top portion of the screen something odd. It appears to be a slight smudge...but it's underneath the screen -_- No way to rub it away but I only notice it when the screen has a white background. Still very annoying as it shouldn't be there to begin with.

ChanHuk

Banned
I love my nexus 7....use it for hours a day.....

but the first return has got me paranoid :/

every speck of dust is an "oh shit please no" moment....

I guess I know how the early adopters of x360/ps3 feel like :p

I had a launch PS3 that finally died last holidays. That's a hell of a lot better than the Nexus. I returned my Nexus and the guy behind me bought it. Good luck to that guy.

darkwing

Third attempt today. More dead pixels. =

I'd return and exchange it so Asus would know and fix their QA

Wow, Google stepped up and did the right thing. They refunded the $13.99 shipping and handling charge because it took them so long to get the Nexus 7 out to me. Did everyone else here who got theirs late also get a refund? Or was it just me because I logged an official complaint with them in e-mail?

ChanHuk

Banned
Any of you guys with a Staples nearby, found this on slickdeals, order through the kiosk instore and apply coupon code 99618 for $15 off. Just tried it since I'm parked next to a Staples and it worked. Should be here Tuesday for another round of Nexus roulette.

womp

Any of you guys with a Staples nearby, found this on slickdeals, order through the kiosk instore and apply coupon code 99618 for $15 off. Just tried it since I'm parked next to a Staples and it worked. Should be here Tuesday for another round of Nexus roulette.

I posted this here the other night and the coupon code works fine through the website too. Cool deal for killing off the tax. Mine should be here Tues as well, hope it comes in without any issues. :(

As a side note...

Here is the case I ordered too...Well, sleeve...

61LOHO7BMbL._SS400_.jpg
51b%2BCbqJrOL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V93P1E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Has a magnetic clasp to keep it shut and well, you can't beat $7.99! :) It is for the Kindle Fire but it fits the 7 just fine.

ChanHuk

Banned
I posted this here the other night and the coupon code works fine through the website too. Cool deal for killing off the tax. Mine should be here Tues as well, hope it comes in without any issues. :(

Has a magnetic clasp to keep it shut and well, you can't beat $7.99! :) It is for the Kindle Fire but it fits the 7 just fine.

Staples has a great return policy so I wouldn't worry too much. I bought this 7 with my credit card, gives me a 90 day return policy. I'm still on the fence with the new iPad mini if it fits my budget.

Ugh. I can't deal with this screen issue.I have to close and open my screen every few minutes. I mean I love the price point but I really worry they won't fix this.

Anyone make a return to the play store? How'd it go?

ChanHuk

Banned
Ugh. I can't deal with this screen issue.I have to close and open my screen every few minutes. I mean I love the price point but I really worry they won't fix this.

Anyone make a return to the play store? How'd it go?

I hear its great as long as you bought it with Google. Otherwise, Google has horrible customer service. Yeah I get it, I bought my Nexus through another retailer and they don't make the hardware. But shit "Google" is stamped on it, they better provide support.

Google can provide the experience that Apple provides, yet, they don't. Microsoft at least makes the attempt to do what Apple does. Customer service goes a long way.

I will be a long time Apple user, I shattered my iPhone's screen and admitted it was my fault, replaced free of charge.

markot

Banned
Asus probably has its hands full fufilling the Nexus stock right now, I guess when it dies down abit they can work on their own version.

That said, cameras on tablets is silly pants >.<

I hear its great as long as you bought it with Google. Otherwise, Google has horrible customer service. Yeah I get it, I bought my Nexus through another retailer and they don't make the hardware. But shit "Google" is stamped on it, they better provide support.

Google can provide the experience that Apple provides, yet, they don't. Microsoft at least makes the attempt to do what Apple does. Customer service goes a long way.

I will be a long time Apple user, I shattered my iPhone's screen and admitted it was my fault, replaced free of charge.

I purchased it from the Play Store. But I hear what you're saying. It's extremely convenient to bring my iphone or macbook to an Apple Store and get my issues dealt with right then and there.

Ugh. I'll just go through Google and send this thing in for repairs. I've been hesitating because I thought it was a software issue and they'd have an emergency fix patch out by now. But I haven't read a peep regarding ANY upcoming updates.....

ChanHuk

Banned
I purchased it from the Play Store. But I hear what you're saying. It's extremely convenient to bring my iphone or macbook to an Apple Store and get my issues dealt with right then and there.

Ugh. I'll just go through Google and send this thing in for repairs. I've been hesitating because I thought it was a software issue and they'd have an emergency fix patch out by now. But I haven't read a peep regarding ANY upcoming updates.....

I feel ya, I accepted the iPhone 4's reception issue because Apple came out and said they fucked up and gave everyone a case. Google has been sidestepping this whole issue as well as Asus. Not exactly how you want to launch a flagship device.

I'm still slated to a new N7 this week, I'm hoping I win this time in playing N7 roulette. I can only imagine that Asus has a stockpile of RMA'd devices.

rozay

Banned
I feel ya, I accepted the iPhone 4's reception issue because Apple came out and said they fucked up and gave everyone a case. Google has been sidestepping this whole issue as well as Asus. Not exactly how you want to launch a flagship device.

I'm still slated to a new N7 this week, I'm hoping I win this time in playing N7 roulette. I can only imagine that Asus has a stockpile of RMA'd devices.
Apple did not admit they fucked up, they decided instead to paint their competitors' phones as faulty citing all phones experience signal degradation when held (which isn't the same issue) and offered a free case to all users.

You can give them credit for giving all owners cases, you cannot give them credit for admitting the antenna design had a flaw which was rectified with the Verizon 4 and all 4S models.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So far the only fault I can find is that the left side's glass is slightly raised, so I might be one of the lucky ones.

Even dropped it too. Back came out but it snapped back easily.

Anyone have any idea when the ASUS Memo 370T is going to be released? I want the rear camera and SD card slot :-/

Any news on Asus' (rumoured) own model with MicroSD and camera?

Hasn't it been pretty much confirmed that the Memo morphed into the Nexus and now no longer exists?

I don't see why Asus would be in a rush to make another 7-inch tablet. I would imagine this partnership with Google is working out pretty well for them.

Top Bottom