• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

JordanKZ

Anybody know where I can find some nice wallpapers for my N7? I don't even know what dimensions it has.

Just use wallbase HD. It picks up the wallpapers from wallbase (probably the biggest free wall paper site out there that's easy to use). It then auto formats the image to you screen or you can save it and crop as you'd like.

You should try get a wallpaper larger than the native screen resolution as they can sometimes come out blurry.

I think the challenge is finding a wallpaper that is both unique and beautiful but one that also complements the ability to see your icons clearly... Either stock or however you customize those.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well, got my THIRD Nexus 7 from Staples, serial starts C70 and yep, screen lift. Seriously, fuck you Asus, fuck you. So that's three Nexus 7's with screen lift issues. Is that my problem or Asus?

Dicer

Banned
all these build issues, I got mine from walmart(I don't usually support walmart but I got a deal), and it's picture perfect....

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My build quality's perfect.

I just can't believe my iPod touch had a better speaker than this thing. Its rough.

womp

Just got mine from Staples this evening...

Everything seems OK? And I have OCD for this kind of crap too.

I can't put this bastard down...I already unlocked and rooted it. Thing is addicting and this from someone who already owns a Galaxy Nexus too. Looks like it is time to put my Transformer 101 out to the pasture.

_Isaac

So the screen colors are a little underwhelming. The build is shoddy. There aren't that many android tablet apps out there. I guess I'm not that excited about getting this anymore.

rozay

Banned
Is there ipod version with speaker I didn't know about?
the iPod touch
So the screen colors are a little underwhelming. The build is shoddy. There aren't that many android tablet apps out there. I guess I'm not that excited about getting this anymore.
Only thinking about negative issues that might not affect you will definitely reduce your excitement. Don't think there's any way to resolve the build quality issues until a new hardware revision is released, and it'd be best to wait to purchase one if it's important to you. Tablet feels great when there's no creaking.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah... wasn't that impressed with the screen quality on this thing from a few demo models I've seen. But it'd be great for my parents who aren't the most tech saavy.

_Isaac

the iPod touch
Only thinking about negative issues that might not affect you will definitely reduce your excitement. Don't think there's any way to resolve the build quality issues until a new hardware revision is released, and it'd be best to wait to purchase one if it's important to you. Tablet feels great when there's no creaking.

Yeah. After this thread, I think I'll just wait a bit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is there any chance we could get a new batch that aren't as crappily built by the end of the year? I'd like to get one at some point, but I refuse to go through the gauntlet of seeing how fubar my device is.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well, that's round 4 of Nexus 7 roulette. There should be two more in the cylinder but I don't think I'll take another shot.

DagsJT

Had my Nexus 7for about a month and not had any problems. Until now, where the left side of the screen is making an annoying clicking noise when pressed.

Just put in the order for one of these last night. I'm hoping it gets here before my flight to PAX next week -- it would be nice to have a new toy to play with on the plane. I ended up spending a little more than I wanted, since I bought directly from Google for their faster shipping.

All of these build quality stories are really making me nervous...

BFIB

Just put in the order for one of these last night. I'm hoping it gets here before my flight to PAX next week -- it would be nice to have a new toy to play with on the plane. I ended up spending a little more than I wanted, since I bought directly from Google for their faster shipping.

All of these build quality stories are really making me nervous...

I'm sure it'll be fine. Congrats, its an awesome tablet.

Randdalf

Had my Nexus 7for about a month and not had any problems. Until now, where the left side of the screen is making an annoying clicking noise when pressed.

Hah, yup, I have that now. I don't think it's worth getting a new one or fixing it because it only really happens when I polish the screen, as I'm right handed and tend to rarely use that side (except when it's horizontally tilted).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh god, creaking sceen. :(

Hmm, I guess I can live with it though, with the way I hold the tablet. Problem is that my itchy fingers makes me want to keep pressing the problem side. Also if I want to fix it the solution seems simple enough.

Vyer

>:[

I thought I was safe. Makes me nervous to hear this starts appearing later on too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, mine isn't creaking so badly now.

I think the creak is probably from the materials being susceptible to warping from heat?

BFIB

Just downloaded Galaxy Pack. Really awesome set of live wallpapers, looks fantastic on the Nexus.

I'd post a screenie, but I'm not sure how you do that.

womp

Just downloaded Galaxy Pack. Really awesome set of live wallpapers, looks fantastic on the Nexus.

I'd post a screenie, but I'm not sure how you do that.

Power button and volume down buttons at the same time takes a screenshot and save to your gallery.

womp

jmhYL.png

vydGC.jpg

LOVING this thing...

womp

Which pinball program is that?

In the first screenshot?

Zen

An old favorite from my Transformer 101 but it looks even better on the Nexus 7 thanks to the uptick granted by the Tegra 3.

If you mean Devil Crash, that is a Turbografx-16 game running under an emulator (PCE.emu). ;)

Top Bottom