• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Threi

notag
current:

iP2sqZtTEKPwy.png

plus 3 other screens that look almost the same.

wp source is here

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've actually had zero build complaints, I really love how sturdy and comfortable it feels, especially the leatherish back. Can the new iPad mini really weigh less than this? Nexus already feels super light to me.

Zeth

Anyone have suggestions for shmups? Shogun and the skyforce games are nice, but can't find anything else that's not a really bad danmaku.

Also my screen sometimes flickers like it is readjusting with auto brightness even with it set to off, is that a known issue?

Can anyone recommend a site with tutorial videos for a beginner on how to use android jelly bean?

I bought a Nexus 7 for my wife and she is new to android, so I looked on youtube for a beginners guide but didn't see any that were appropriate to nexus 7 or jellybean.

She doesnt want to play games or anything like that but learn what the buttons do, how to use features like calendar/tasks/email, switch tasks etc. A beginners guide basically.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can anyone recommend a site with tutorial videos for a beginner on how to use android jelly bean?

I bought a Nexus 7 for my wife and she is new to android, so I looked on youtube for a beginners guide but didn't see any that were appropriate to nexus 7 or jellybean.

She doesnt want to play games or anything like that but learn what the buttons do, how to use features like calendar/tasks/email, switch tasks etc. A beginners guide basically.

Search for Ice Cream Sandwich tutorials. It's similar enough.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I see a lot about rooting, how much would that improve performance?

Metal-Geo

What in the hell? I'm happily browsing with Chrome, when all of a sudden I get a pop-up regarding the battery being at 6%. Then a second pop-up immediately prompted saying the device was shutting down. Surely enough, the Nexus 7 shuts itself off after 10 seconds or so and I was unable to get it on again.
So I plugged it into the wall (AC adapter), get the battery icon on the screen, and I'm able to boot up the tablet normally as if nothing happened. Yet, once booted up, it shows that the battery is at 19%! (Which I believe the battery initially was before this whole mystery happened.)

Is this normal? Something that made the OS suddenly think my battery was low?

It doesn't work using Chrome because it requires flash. It worked in X Scope browser using the flash player app I side loaded. Though if the person you are getting this for wants it to just work I don't know how useful this will be since you have to side load flash and then it occasionally crashes the browser when you start playing flash content. Once it starts and its going it works. Full screen works too on that site which I was surprised by because many others don't.

sounds more complicated than I thought, but might still be worth it. thanks for your help!

I was working today at Staples and a guy came in with his Nexus 7... The screen was just flickering and you couldn't have it on without the entire thing freaking out. We got him a replacement because he had the extended warranty, and that one didn't have any problems, OR any screen separation.

The screen was a wreck though, I can't even find out what the hell happened. It looked like a display ribbon issue if anything.

knitoe

For which app?

Was for the Widget HD weather. Not sure how I was able to fix it. Think, it was combination of unchecking/checking location services and a hard reboot. Although, it did scare the shit out of me by not turning on after powering off. Thought, it was bricked. Lucky, I read try holding the power button down for 30 sec and that worked.

womp

Was for the Widget HD weather. Not sure how I was able to fix it. Think, it was combination of unchecking/checking location services and a hard reboot. Although, it did scare the shit out of me by not turning on after powering off. Thought, it was bricked. Lucky, I read try holding the power button down for 30 sec and that worked.

In HD Widgets, once you create a weather widget, tap on it to bring up the full screen weather. From there, tap the settings button on the top right (three dots) and you can set a specific zip code or county, etc for location. By default it will base it on location.

Hm. Thinking of getting one of these now that I've landed a new job.

Are new buyers still having problems with the screen clicking? I remember reading about that in here a month or so ago.

vdlow

A friend of mine is going to USA (I'm from Brazil) soon and will bring a Nexus 7 for me. I'm terribly afraid of having any problem, but I'll try to trust my luck.

Also, I heard about Tegra 2 having problems with H.264 videos. Does Tegra 3 and Nexus 7 suffer of those problems too?

Threi

notag
Why not? Can we get some explanations here?
As said before launcher pro hasn't been updated for ages (read: before ics launched) its an old gb launcher and you are wasting performance using it. Every single alternate launcher out, both free and paid, are better than LP in every way for JB. I recommend nova for our device, since its built from the stock jb launcher code.

I saw your config and really liked the look of simple text for folders.

Can it be used on the default launcher?
Yes and no. The default launcher doesn't support widget overlapping so you won't get quite the same result, but with some thinking you might achieve something similar.

Threi

notag
I'll surely need a lot of luck, but (I hope) there's people out there whose Nexus 7 are in perfect conditions. Maybe I'll be joining this group.
3 in perfect condition here. The people who have problems speak up (multiple times) while the people that don't won't say a thing. Id say you are much more likely to get a perfect tablet than a defective one.

And besides, the most common problem is a slightly raised screen on the left side. This is not in the same league of problems like overheating for example. Not trying to sway opinions but lets be realistic here: the "known issues" are more on the side of "nitpicking".

But hey its asus. Almost every asus device I've owned has had some major fault with it (so its strange to have one that actually works for once). So if they do catch heat for shoddy build issues (even though this is pretty minor) I'm okay with it. They have gotten away with that crap for so long, yet still manage to have a squeaky clean reputation.

rozay

Banned
Use apex or nova launcher, please don't pay that crook Federico for an app (launcher pro) that hasn't been updated since 2.3 came out.

Vyer

I was working today at Staples and a guy came in with his Nexus 7... The screen was just flickering and you couldn't have it on without the entire thing freaking out. We got him a replacement because he had the extended warranty, and that one didn't have any problems, OR any screen separation.

The screen was a wreck though, I can't even find out what the hell happened. It looked like a display ribbon issue if anything.

Also my screen sometimes flickers like it is readjusting with auto brightness even with it set to off, is that a known issue?

My first unit had that flickering, but it only took an hour or so before the auto brightness fucked up entirely, causing the screen to go to this pale washed out color that never went away.

The replacement still has the bad ghosting/retention (though I'm getting the sense this is the norm for the Nexus 7 unfortunately) but I don't really think I've had very much flickering, if at all.

Honestly the flickering would be enough for me to get it replaced if I were you Zeth, just to be on the safe side that it doesn't develop into a larger issue.

vdlow

3 in perfect condition here. The people who have problems speak up (multiple times) while the people that don't won't say a thing. Id say you are much more likely to get a perfect tablet than a defective one.

And besides, the most common problem is a slightly raised screen on the left side. This is not in the same league of problems like overheating for example. Not trying to sway opinions but lets be realistic here: the "known issues" are more on the side of "nitpicking".

But hey its asus. Almost every asus device I've owned has had some major fault with it (so its strange to have one that actually works for once). So if they do catch heat for shoddy build issues (even though this is pretty minor) I'm okay with it. They have gotten away with that crap for so long, yet still manage to have a squeaky clean reputation.

I hope you're right.

I didn't know that ASUS had those manufacturing problems. Actually, when Google announced the Nexus 7, I saw as a good thing that the tablet was made by ASUS. Now I see that Samsung, Sony or Motorola would be way better picks.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I just bought one. LOVE it so far, very fast and snappy. The weight and form factor is absolute perfect too and very practical for my workplace, in the way that iPad and the 10" tablets aren't.

I remember seeing a big post in this thread with recommended apps, so I'm scanning through the thread for it now. Is there an easy way to mass download the apps on my Android phone onto the Nexus 7?

And anything I should do right out of the box to optimize performance, like what people had to do with HP Touchpad?

SRG01

I hope you're right.

I didn't know that ASUS had those manufacturing problems. Actually, when Google announced the Nexus 7, I saw as a good thing that the tablet was made by ASUS. Now I see that Samsung, Sony or Motorola would be way better picks.

TBH, the build quality (and quality control) of Sony and Motorola has been miles ahead of other manufacturers. It's a shame that they don't sell well.

udllpn

Taking into account that the Nexus 7 is going to be avariable where I live in a few days, I would like to ask those of you that bought the 8 GB version if you think you made the right choice.

I know the real space is closer to 5 GB and I wouldn't like to regret having problems in the future for just 50 Euros. On the other hand, I would mainly use the tablet to read pdfs, comics and browsing the net, with the occasional movie or retro game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you plan to stream alot of content sure, or can deal with swapping out media files regularly.

I find 16gb fine in that I can dump ALOT of manga/comics and not worry about it. If I got the 8 gb version I would be swapping stuff out by now. Note that 16gb actually adds 8gbs, not 5gbs, so it's 13gbs altogether.

womp

Have you guys been putting screen protectors on? I was considering it but not sure yet. I think it has been disclosed that these things don't have actual Gorilla Glass.

Taking into account that the Nexus 7 is going to be avariable where I live in a few days, I would like to ask those of you that bought the 8 GB version if you think you made the right choice.

I know the real space is closer to 5 GB and I wouldn't like to regret having problems in the future for just 50 Euros. On the other hand, I would mainly use the tablet to read pdfs, comics and browsing the net, with the occasional movie or retro game.
Had a bit of weirdness with the device saying it's full when it isn't. But haven't regretted saving the £40. I just use it for surfing, reading, streaming, dev and some games though.

BFIB

Have you guys been putting screen protectors on? I was considering it but not sure yet. I think it has been disclosed that these things don't have actual Gorilla Glass.

I don't have one on mine, not a single scratch so far. It is in a case however with a flip cover.

Zeth

Glad I spent google money on Metal Slug 3. It's even harder than I imagined. Really need to get going with a controller soon.

Top Bottom