• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
This is probably a pretty stupid question but anyway. How "strong" is the Nexus 7 compared to the Galaxy S2? Can I expect about the same performance?

This is probably a pretty stupid question but anyway. How "strong" is the Nexus 7 compared to the Galaxy S2? Can I expect about the same performance?

The Nexus 7 will run circles around the S2 while singing Yankie Doodle Dandy blindflooded... with one hand tied behind it's back... And on fire.

Seriously the S2 can't compete with the Nexus 7. It's not a phone. Though spec wise it has the same specs as the Asus Transformer Prime, minus the camera, 10 inch screen and dock.

So in Germany (maybe rest of Europe?) you now can order the Nexus from https://play.google.com/store/devices, which I just did. Nice surprise, thought the release would be in September.

Nope, not in Austria. I think the reason is that Google is selling the Nexus 7 with very little profit by itself and is going to want to make their money back via the Play Store, which, in Austria only has apps at the moment, no movies, no TV shows and no books. I guess I can thank the right holders for that.

Nope, not in Austria. I think the reason is that Google is selling the Nexus 7 with very little profit by itself and is going to want to make their money back via the Play Store, which, in Austria only has apps at the moment, no movies, no TV shows and no books. I guess I can thank the right holders for that.

Same here in the Netherlands. Nothing yet...rumors are that it'll be sold by Asus on 3 september. The reason why it's done by asus is that Google does not give a shit about them little countries :p We dont have movies, tv, show, books or anything except for apps. Same as austria. Damn europe and all their different silly rules.

FillerB

Same here in the Netherlands. Nothing yet...rumors are that it'll be sold by Asus on 3 september. The reason why it's done by asus is that Google does not give a shit about them little countries :p We dont have movies, tv, show, books or anything except for apps. Same as austria. Damn europe and all their different silly rules.

MediaMarkt Eindhoven has it on the third according to a poster on Tweakers.net.

Angelcurio

Any news regarding the build quality of the latest batch of tablets? I want to buy one, but since i live outside the states, i'm a bit worried of getting a lemon and not having means to get a replacement.

BFIB

Any news regarding the build quality of the latest batch of tablets? I want to buy one, but since i live outside the states, i'm a bit worried of getting a lemon and not having means to get a replacement.

A few co workers of mine have bought a few, no issues. Only a small sample, but if you're on the shelf, I'd still say to go for it, its a great device.

£160 for this seems really cheap to me. It blew my mind when I saw the price on an ad today... I know its not an iPad or anything, but it's like half the price and does most of the shit I'd want...

are people generally happy with their purchase?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
£160 for this seems really cheap to me. It blew my mind when I saw the price on an ad today... I know its not an iPad or anything, but it's like half the price and does most of the shit I'd want...

Yeah I use it all the time. I ended up selling my 10 inch tablet, since this one was more comfortable to use.

I've got about 230 in credit card rewards banked, and I'm wondering what the gaming situation is on it? I actually already own a couple android tablet games from the humble android bundle, not realizing that they were tablet only, but is there a decent variety of games here? I've found my android phone to be pretty hit and miss. I'm not huge on a tablet for movies/shows, mostly I'm looking for an e-reader, web browser and portable gaming machine here.

Ydahs

One of the best purchases I've made all year. It gets the job done, especially if you're still studying and need a device to view all your lecture slides, notes and recordings. Whether in bed or on the train, I just love reading on this thing.

The only thing it's missing for me is 3G, though I just tether with my phone if I need internet on the go :)

Gannd

Banned

I purchased mine yesterday and I love it. I'll use mine for comic books, movies, Netflix, General computing, and reading. I like the 7 inch fork factor more than the ipad size.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've got about 230 in credit card rewards banked, and I'm wondering what the gaming situation is on it? I actually already own a couple android tablet games from the humble android bundle, not realizing that they were tablet only, but is there a decent variety of games here? I've found my android phone to be pretty hit and miss. I'm not huge on a tablet for movies/shows, mostly I'm looking for an e-reader, web browser and portable gaming machine here.

There were some stuff from iOs which I hoped would comeover, like Ghost trick. Also last time I checked dodonpachi isn't compatible with the nexus 7. :/

Spacechem is awesome though. Play spacechem.

Jeff-DSA

Well, if you're already using iOS on your phone, you might feel a little out of sorts with the OS, just as my sister-in-law got an iPad despite owning an Android phone. She hates the iPad and is always asking my wife if she can use her Nexus 7.

With these tablets, I still think it's best to stay in the atmosphere you're most comfortable with. Now I know that the iPad is can be cost prohibitive, but if cost isn't the deciding factor, think about the weirdness of dealing with two OS atmospheres. If you have an Android phone, well, the Nexus 7 is a fantastic device and is probably the best bargain in tech right now.

There were some stuff from iOs which I hoped would comeover, like Ghost trick. Also last time I checked dodonpachi isn't compatible with the nexus 7. :/

Spacechem is awesome though. Play spacechem.

Part of the bundle, i was really hyped to play it on my phone, but I didn't look at the bundle information closely enough.

Well, if you're already using iOS on your phone, you might feel a little out of sorts with the OS, just as my sister-in-law got an iPad despite owning an Android phone. She hates the iPad and is always asking my wife if she can use her Nexus 7.

With these tablets, I still think it's best to stay in the atmosphere you're most comfortable with. Now I know that the iPad is can be cost prohibitive, but if cost isn't the deciding factor, think about the weirdness of dealing with two OS atmospheres. If you have an Android phone, well, the Nexus 7 is a fantastic device and is probably the best bargain in tech right now.

I have a Desire S, and I've been happy with it - I'll probably be looking to upgrade in about 6 months time. I'm interested in tablet development and stuff, so I'd consider this for that reason alone -- but to hear people are happy with usability and stuff is good..

It'd be even more attractive with 3G, but like Ydahs - I'd probably just tether to my phone, which I do with my 3DS already

Emily Chu

Banned
Fuck my life I just picked one up again

Hope its good to go with no defects

1K1kz.jpg

I might just return it without even opening the box

BFIB

Welcome back to the fun club EmilyChu! Hopefully your experience goes better this time.

Though I'm surprised to hear you made the plunge a second time? I thought you were holding out for the new iPad mini?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Fuck my life I just picked one up again

Hope its good to go with no defects

[url]http://i.imgur.com/1K1kz.jpg[/url][/ig]

I might just return it without even opening the box[/QUOTE]
You're so weak. I mean, after posts and posts of justification on why you didn't needed one, you bought another one? Please!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's your comic file reader of choice, guys?

Cigol

What are you using flash for. What sites?
BBC iPlayer?

Not sure what Sky GO uses but that doesn't work either :(

Got BBC iPlayer working with Firefox - but it's not ideal.

What's your comic file reader of choice, guys?
...but Comixology's Comic reader is the best ify ou're willing to pay their prices and get locked into their DRM. They don't have all comics though.

BBC iPlayer?

Not sure what Sky GO uses but that doesn't work either :(

Got BBC iPlayer working with Firefox - but it's not ideal.

...but Comixology's Comic reader is the best ify ou're willing to pay their prices and get locked into their DRM. They don't have all comics though.

Sky Go doesn't support Jelly Bean yet, because Sky are annoyingly retarded. Galaxy S3 users who upgrade to Jelly Bean can't use it either.

Fantasmo

Does anyone know how and where to place books if you haven't bought them through Kindle or the Playstore?

Use ES File Explorer (or any file manager that supports this) to navigate to the file, long press it and you have the option to add it to a home screen.

Hunter S.

Hm. Thinking of getting one of these now that I've landed a new job.

Are new buyers still having problems with the screen clicking? I remember reading about that in here a month or so ago.
Good choice, I do not know what you mean so no. Unless you mean the clicking when typing which I tune out.

Anyone emulating old games from Nintendo and ps1? I feel like I will never need a portable console again!

tenz0r

Is there any way to get HBO go to work on this? It shows up on the google play store, but says this device is not supported yet.

I also hope Amazon release the Instant video app on the google play store soon. Would love to start bringing my nexus 7 out and about more. Been still bringing iPad when I am out and about since I'm watching stuff on hbo go and amazon video.

GavinGT

Banned
Is there any way to get HBO go to work on this? It shows up on the google play store, but says this device is not supported yet.

I also hope Amazon release the Instant video app on the google play store soon. Would love to start bringing my nexus 7 out and about more. Been still bringing iPad when I am out and about since I'm watching stuff on hbo go and amazon video.

This guy on XDA-Developers had a working version and posted it, but then it stopped working and he pulled it down. Give him a few days and it'll probably be up again.

Alternatively, just get Flash working on a compatible browser and go to hbogo.com. Then just request the desktop version of the site and you're good to go.

Massa

So I'm going to ask friend to bring one of these for me from the US, but unfortunately I wouldn't have any warranty.

Are the issues some people seem to be having related to the actual assembly rather than defective parts? ie. something I could fix myself if I happen to get unlucky? How widespread are they anyway?

I'm buying online for store pickup, paying with an international credit card so my friend only has to pick it up and not worry about ordering. I know Gamestop doesn't support this, Bestbuy I've used before but they don't stock the Nexus 7 and Walmart seems to work so I'll be using them. Are there any other recommended stores?

GavinGT

Banned
So I'm going to ask friend to bring one of these for me from the US, but unfortunately I wouldn't have any warranty.

Are the issues some people seem to be having related to the actual assembly rather than defective parts? ie. something I could fix myself if I happen to get unlucky? How widespread are they anyway?

I'm buying online for store pickup, paying with an international credit card so my friend only has to pick it up and not worry about ordering. I know Gamestop doesn't support this, Bestbuy I've used before but they don't stock the Nexus 7 and Walmart seems to work so I'll be using them. Are there any other recommended stores?

It's a really easy fix if you get the loose screen. You just pry off the back cover and tighten a few screws.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/08/how-to-fix-a-loose-nexus-7-screen/

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Day 4 with my Nexus 7 and I am absolutely smitten. I've gotten a lot of comments about it at work already (hospital) from people who lug iPads around. The size is perfect, it's blazing fast and screen is beautiful.

I highly recommend this case. Thin and light enough to emphasize the form factor of the Nexus 7 with smartcover functionality and decent protection. A weird thing however is that if you want to use the stand feature, you have to pop the two left corners out from the leather tabs. Not a big drawback for me but worth mentioning
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FLYROG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vyer

God, this screen retention/burn in whatever is so weird. It's always present, but it seems like sometimes it's worse than others. Occasionally gets highly annoying.

Is there any way for Chrome to have some sort of bookmarks shortcut or pop in? Wish I had quicker access to them. What's the better browser?

adroit

Anyone seen a case that would make it easy to clip the Nexus 7 to the back of the child seat area of a typical grocery cart? I'd really like to use this thing as an electronic grocery list (with sorting by aisle depending upon what store I'm in, etc.). But I don't want it resting down in the bottom of the seat (for obvious reasons...yuck). I want to clip it to the back support.

Yes, I've tried searching Amazon myself. I didn't find anything that looked like it would work.

Thanks for any ideas.

GavinGT

Banned
I highly recommend this case. Thin and light enough to emphasize the form factor of the Nexus 7 with smartcover functionality and decent protection. A weird thing however is that if you want to use the stand feature, you have to pop the two left corners out from the leather tabs. Not a big drawback for me but worth mentioning
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FLYROG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It seems too gaudy for me, with those leather clamps reaching out everywhere. I wish there was a Nexus 7 case that mimicked the iPad one official case:

21b23RdVFmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Top Bottom