• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

sca2511

I just got this case. Pretty good. There are minimal problems that I haven't noticed until they sent out an email about it. It's being addressed and they're going to replace it for the fixed model.
71GGREUyjUL._AA1500_.jpg

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
It seems too gaudy for me, with those leather clamps reaching out everywhere. I wish there was a Nexus 7 case that mimicked the iPad one official case:

I know what you mean because those pictures make the case seem really "alien" and aggressive. For what it's worth, it looks much, much better in person, mostly because it's such a small case that the leather clamps don't seem to stand out as much.

^^^ That case does look nice and clean though. Would be worth looking at once they fix the magnet issue

wanders

I just got this case. Pretty good. There are minimal problems that I haven't noticed until they sent out an email about it. It's being addressed and they're going to replace it for the fixed model.

Do you know when theyll replace the model. That is a very sexy case and is exactly what im looking for.

Edit: Ahhh I assume that they replaced model will be ready on the 15th?

DarkFlow

Banned
This guy on XDA-Developers had a working version and posted it, but then it stopped working and he pulled it down. Give him a few days and it'll probably be up again.

Alternatively, just get Flash working on a compatible browser and go to hbogo.com. Then just request the desktop version of the site and you're good to go.
Hbo really needs to update that shit. It's almost comical at this point that major apps still don't support the nexus 7 or jelly bean. You would think news of selling almost 8 million would get them to work a little faster.

Kosmo

Banned
Can anyone with a Nexus 7 post a screenshot of what the calendar looks like? I want to get one to mount under a cabinet in the kitchen as a general purpose Calendar/Message Center but can't seem to find any shots of the calendar.

BFIB

Hbo really needs to update that shit. It's almost comical at this point that major apps still don't support the nexus 7 or jelly bean. You would think news of selling almost 8 million would get them to work a little faster.

Agreed. I just discovered the magic of Newsroom and being able to watch it in bed would be awesome.

Hieberrr

This is exactly what I've been looking for! Too bad shipping to Canada is like $20 >__>

sca2511

Do you know when theyll replace the model. That is a very sexy case and is exactly what im looking for.

Edit: Ahhh I assume that they replaced model will be ready on the 15th?
Yeah, it looks like it. There is also the issue of the flap not being able to fold all the way back. That is a deal breaker for many.

Schlep

I have to say, getting a keyboard for this thing was a great choice. Makes it to where I can realistically use it as a laptop replacement when in a pinch, especially when combined with Firefox which works 100% with my company's online software.

Truly feels like I won't ever be buying another personal laptop.

coldfoot

Banned
God, this screen retention/burn in whatever is so weird. It's always present, but it seems like sometimes it's worse than others. Occasionally gets highly annoying.
Interesting theory, does the Nexus 7 use the same panels that the Macbook Pro Retina is using, which also gets IR? The PPI is close enough that rounding errors in measurement would make it a match.

wanders

I have to say, getting a keyboard for this thing was a great choice. Makes it to where I can realistically use it as a laptop replacement when in a pinch, especially when combined with Firefox which works 100% with my company's online software.

Truly feels like I won't ever be buying another personal laptop.

What keyboard did you get?

Slime

Banned
Return on Nexus number 3 was up today so I had to return it. They still must be flying off the shelves pretty fast, because I checked a lot these past two weeks and they were completely out of stock.

Has anyone who's bought one in the last week or so had any problems? If so, think I might call it quits for good.

JoeFu

Banned
Dang... my speakers are blown or something. Not even sure how.... I hope I can get an exchange or send it into Asus or something to get it fixed. It's really annoying.

Vyer

Interesting theory, does the Nexus 7 use the same panels that the Macbook Pro Retina is using, which also gets IR? The PPI is close enough that rounding errors in measurement would make it a match.

Don't know. But if it happened on something I paid 2000+ for instead of 200, I don't think I could handle it. lol

Djamb3

Return on Nexus number 3 was up today so I had to return it. They still must be flying off the shelves pretty fast, because I checked a lot these past two weeks and they were completely out of stock.

Has anyone who's bought one in the last week or so had any problems? If so, think I might call it quits for good.

I bought mine 2 days ago (16gb, C70 series) and it's perfect so far. I know the C80 are already being sold so wait a little, but don't give up. This thing is amazing

Planning on getting the Nexus 7 hopefully this weekend.

Is there any sites or lists anywhere showing what games are compatible for the Nexus and are worth getting and lists of good software?

Dantis

Does anyone know if there's a way to load the desktop version of websites by default? Every time I load up GAF it loads the mobile version. It's a small niggle but it drives me crazy.

Hunter S.

Does anyone know if there's a way to load the desktop version of websites by default? Every time I load up GAF it loads the mobile version. It's a small niggle but it drives me crazy.
I do not know, but I actually like it better. The regular sized page has way to much on it and would be a real pain I think.

Fantasmo

Question about PS3 controller pairing!

I'm rooted and I have the controller app but I'm wondering something.

Is it easy to pair to the Nexus and then pair back to the PS3 or do I have to jump through hoops to go back and forth? How does this work?

This will be the determining factor of whether or not I end up buying a separate controller for Nexus or whether I use one of my PS3 controllers.

BFIB

Is it easy to pair to the Nexus and then pair back to the PS3 or do I have to jump through hoops to go back and forth? How does this work?

This will be the determining factor of whether or not I end up buying a separate controller for Nexus or whether I use one of my PS3 controllers.

I used a separate DS3 just for my pairing with my Nexus. I'm not sure if pairing is possible, but I don't see why you couldn't pair the controller for both devices.

GavinGT

Banned

Don't you just plug in the USB cable between the controller and the console to pair it?

Fantasmo

Don't you just plug in the USB cable between the controller and the console to pair it?

Yes but can I switch back and forth between Nexus and PS3 easily or does the process break bluetooth compatibility with PS3?

The process looked complicated and I don't want to make switching back and forth via bluetooth horrendously complicated.

As a SECOND question.. would just connecting via usb not get bluetooth involved at all?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to get a second tablet for wifi emulation multiplayer gaming but I don't want to spend extra bucks on controllers but I also don't want my existing PS3 controllers to be a hassle to use with PS3!!

GavinGT

Banned
Yes but can I switch back and forth between Nexus and PS3 easily or does the process break bluetooth compatibility with PS3?

The process looked complicated and I don't want to make switching back and forth via bluetooth horrendously complicated.

As a SECOND question.. would just connecting via usb not get bluetooth involved at all?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to get a second tablet for wifi emulation multiplayer gaming but I don't want to spend extra bucks on controllers but I also don't want my existing PS3 controllers to be a hassle to use with PS3!!

I'm fairly sure you can only tether it to one device at a time. Also, the controller does send button press data through USB. However, I would imagine that Android app development has focused more so on Bluetooth functionality rather than accommodating those who wish to connect through USB. Just a hunch, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Reading comics on this thing is great. I had concerns that a 7" would lead me to zooming in from time to time but it's been ideal so far.

Schlep

I'm going to be using just the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 for the next 30 days instead of a personal laptop or TV (except football, sorry). I'll be commenting and recommending apps, etc on @SchlepNexus on Twitter if you're interested in following. Not really sure what to expect at this point. It feels kind of like when Steve Jobs said that computers weren't going to have floppy drives anymore, lol.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just got mine today and the left side has a tiny bit of screen lift and I can hear the popping sound when I press down on it. It doesn't bother me but will it just keep getting worse over time? What do you guys think? Should I return it?

Djamb3

God, this screen retention/burn in whatever is so weird. It's always present, but it seems like sometimes it's worse than others. Occasionally gets highly annoying.

Is there any way for Chrome to have some sort of bookmarks shortcut or pop in? Wish I had quicker access to them. What's the better browser?

When you open a new tab you can choose to see the bookmarks, instead of the most visited. Is definitely fast :)

rozay

Banned
Aren't they made by different manufacturers? Samsung for the iPad 3 screens, Hydis for the nexus..

GavinGT

Banned
Not sure if it was mentioned but HBO Go has been updated to support Jellybean.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads-up. I'm done struggling with it in-browser.

EDIT: Holy shit at the main screen after you log in, though. It just loops in all directions!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a way to get the gmail app to NOT zoom in by default?

Top Bottom