• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

smr00

Banned
I held off getting one last month because of numerous complaints of the glass raising and the touch screen not working in a spot.

Is this like a small %? Any fixes? I would hate to go spend $200-250 on something and get home and it have numerous problems. Is the % of these problems so low i should gamble? wait?

JordanKZ

I held off getting one last month because of numerous complaints of the glass raising and the touch screen not working in a spot.

Is this like a small %? Any fixes? I would hate to go spend $200-250 on something and get home and it have numerous problems. Is the % of these problems so low i should gamble? wait?

From what I hear, some of the first batch were affected. There's no % of how many with issues. I know 5 people (myself included) with them that haven't had a single issue since day one.

smr00

Banned
From what I hear, some of the first batch were affected. There's no % of how many with issues. I know 5 people (myself included) with them that haven't had a single issue since day one.
What stores can they be bought at? Aside from Gamestop?

GavinGT

Banned
What stores can they be bought at? Aside from Gamestop?

Kmart
Walmart
Office Depot
Staples
Office Max

I'd try Staples first, especially if you're looking for the 8 GB version (most stores only sell the 16 GB).

Neither I nor my friends have had problems. I did have a nightmare about my screen starting to creak, though. Haha.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

From what I've read the screen lift seem to be a pretty common problem. I just bought mine yesterday from Wal-mart and it has a small screen lift on the left side, it doesn't bother me and had I not read about it on the internet I doubt I would have ever noticed it so I'll probably just keep it and hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt me later.

GavinGT

Banned
From what I've read the screen lift seem to be a pretty common problem. I just bought mine yesterday from Wal-mart and it has a small screen lift on the left side, it doesn't bother me and had I not read about it on the internet I doubt I would have ever noticed it so I'll probably just keep it and hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt me later.

The fix is so easy if you just want to do it yourself. You just pry off the rubber back and tighten a couple screws. You won't even void the warranty so long as you don't cause damage.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/08/how-to-fix-a-loose-nexus-7-screen/

GavinGT

Banned
No way to just jump to a bookmark without opening another tab or going to a bookmark list page first?

It's exactly the same as full Chrome, except there's no option for a bookmark bar. You either open a new tab to see your bookmarks or you click the menu button in the corner, then select Bookmarks.

Threi

notag
The fix is so easy if you just want to do it yourself. You just pry off the rubber back and tighten a couple screws. You won't even void the warranty so long as you don't cause damage.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/08/how-to-fix-a-loose-nexus-7-screen/
The screws being tight will worsen the problem. You should either loosen them or remove them entirely (the updated shipments of the n7 have the screws removed entirely)

That's if you have the issue though. I have the first n7 shipment (c60) and have no problems at all.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I'll probably hold off on opening it up unless the problem gets a lot worse, right now it doesn't really seem worth it.

Dantis

Bought Nova 3 today in the sale, and surprised how badly it runs. Do we think Gameloft will patch this? Considering who it is, I feel like they won't...

I'm thinking of replacing my HP Touchpad (too big, too heavy, too ugly, too buggy with Android) with a Nexus 7. Is this a good choice or am I going to regret it? Should I wait for the new Kindle Fire or the new iPad mini?

markot

Banned
I'm thinking of replacing my HP Touchpad (too big, too heavy, too ugly, too buggy with Android) with a Nexus 7. Is this a good choice or am I going to regret it? Should I wait for the new Kindle Fire or the new iPad mini?
While i love my nexus, no harm waitimg 2 weeks to see what the others offer.

kehs

Banned
So its been a couple of weeks, the built quality on this is bad. Creaks still here. Th usb cord fell aaprt about two weeks ago when it tried to unplug it. Screen is an LCD...doesn't hold a candle to samoled. Battery is awesome. Android is android. Access to smb shares through file manager and ability to download random file types to it. Apps a still android in style...laggy, janky, and ultra functional.

I basically use it to read gaf, as an email machine, and Google TV remote. I'm about to get rid of my smart phone primarily because of this thing. I have access to a computer the majority of the day and at home.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'm still having major loading issues with Chrome, especially with the initial load times. Anyone else have this problem/a fix?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Crap. I dropped a cup on my n7 and the glass is cracked and the touchscreen doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know if the warranty covers this? Or am I screwed?

tfur

I'm still having major loading issues with Chrome, especially with the initial load times. Anyone else have this problem/a fix?

I had to install Cache Clear. I cleared over 2GB of cache, and everything ran really well. I set the default clean rate to once a week, and I have only cleared once so far.

I am not sure what is going on with the N7, but Jellybean on the phone does not seem to have such cache problems.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Does anyone know a work around for the official tumblr app or a decent tumblr app alternative that works with Nexus 7?

BTW... can you even find a $200 Nexus 7? Was feeling like buying something today to fool around with and my Microcenter only had them for > $250. I checked Amazon and it was the same situation (even for 8 GB model). Wasit ever available for $200?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
BTW... can you even find a $200 Nexus 7? Was feeling like buying something today to fool around with and my Microcenter only had them for > $250. I checked Amazon and it was the same situation (even for 8 GB model). Wasit ever available for $200?

the 200 dollar one is the 8 gig model. Most stores only carry the 250 dollar 16 gig model. If you want the 8 gig model, it's easiest to get it from google's play store directly.

womp

Amazon only has them available from 3rd party sellers, hence the wacked prices.

Emily Chu

Banned
Just a quick update paranoid android + flash + oversckreen is fucking amazing
5gii1l.png

wNYOpl.jpg

YBMHrl.jpg

CI9Cgl.jpg

i5ifkl.png

K6WEEl.png

Vx0Rjl.png

6vuFjl.png

Fantasmo

Does one have to wipe their Nexus to get Paranoid Android on there? What if I have Clockwork Mod and Super user already on there? How does this all work? I want tablet mode, that looks sweet.

Emily Chu

Banned
Does one have to wipe their Nexus to get Paranoid Android on there? What if I have Clockwork Mod and Super user already on there? How does this all work? I want tablet mode, that looks sweet.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31264-jb...992-true-hybridmode-size-ui-on-per-app-basis/

READ THIS CAREFULLY ^^^

nah CWM sticks make a backup first though and super user is preinstalled for paranoid android.

oh and back up all your apps and system stuff with titanium backup first before anything.

JonnyBrad

Well i can now attest to the screen lift on the left hand side. Its started coming out today. And now bends when you touch it. I'm going to have to RMA it.

Is there anyway of saving all my app settings etc, so i can just reload it when i get the new one?

No way to just jump to a bookmark without opening another tab or going to a bookmark list page first?

Do you mean you want to have an icon for specific bookmarks on the home screens? You can add a bookmark widget to the homescreen and point it to a specific bookmark. I have one for mobile Gaf. Just make sure it's in your bookmarks already when you go to make the widget.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
just to chime in with an update - since applying nail polish to those screws weeks ago the screen creaking and bump has not returned, even with heavy daily usage on the device.

i'm tempted to go and remove the other offending screws to relieve the tension at the source, but I'm all good for now. I'm still getting the slightest of screen flickering whether set on manual or automatic brightness. iI have a feeling that isn't a simple hardware or software fix, sadly.

Zeth

just to chime in with an update - since applying nail polish to those screws weeks ago the screen creaking and bump has not returned, even with heavy daily usage on the device.

i'm tempted to go and remove the other offending screws to relieve the tension at the source, but I'm all good for now. I'm still getting the slightest of screen flickering whether set on manual or automatic brightness. iI have a feeling that isn't a simple hardware or software fix, sadly.

Have you tried the brightness app Lux? I haven't used it enough to know for sure, but I think it might do something.

Kosmo

Banned
lol, this thing sounds like a never-ending list of problems. Maybe I shouldn't get one.

There is a lot coming in the next month - new Kindle Fire, probably a 7" iPad, some new stuff from Samsung. If ever there was a month to wait, this is it.

Jeff-DSA

lol, this thing sounds like a never-ending list of problems. Maybe I shouldn't get one.

Of all the people that I know in real life that have them, all have been problem free, including my wife's 7. Seems like the warranty is rock solid for those that have had issues, however.

buhdeh

There is a lot coming in the next month - new Kindle Fire, probably a 7" iPad, some new stuff from Samsung. If ever there was a month to wait, this is it.

I'm pretty sure I won't care for the Kindle Fire or the Samsung tablets. The iPad mini could be interesting but I doubt it even comes close to the $200 Nexus 7 price point.

TBH, I don't need much from a tablet. I already have an iPad 10" but it feels like a waste of money cause all I use it for is internet browsing, e-mail, and facebook. Really just want to get rid of it while it's still new-ish and replace it with a smaller, cheaper tablet and probably look at adding a Windows 8 tablet in the future since it'll also double as my laptop.

womp

Got my $.64 cent (From Amazon but shipped from Hong Kong) OTG cable in the mail today.

Works like a champ! :) Plugged in the 32GB Micro SD card from my Transformer...

5kfrz.jpg

GavinGT

Banned
I'd like to point out that mine still never creeks and nothing ever happened to it. "I won".

Mine went three weeks before it developed an ever-so-slight creek on the left. Mine is the one who creeks.

I'll just wait until the 1 year warranty is nearly up and then send it into Google for (hopefully) a permanent fix.

Got my $.64 cent (From Amazon but shipped from Hong Kong) OTG cable in the mail today.

Works like a champ! :)

I ordered that one, too. How long did yours take?

Top Bottom