• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Got my $.64 cent (From Amazon but shipped from Hong Kong) OTG cable in the mail today.

Works like a champ! :) Plugged in the 32GB Micro SD card from my Transformer...

5kfrz.jpg

<drools>

Now I want this more than ever, assuming those controls work at all well.

womp

I ordered that one, too. How long did yours take?

Ordered it from Amazon August 18th and it arrived yesterday Sept 4th. Not too bad for $.64 cents shipped from HK.

<drools>

Now I want this more than ever, assuming those controls work at all well.

I use a Wii remote/classic controller (In lieu of this) so the controls work fine - physical controls or nothing for me. ;)

That pic was taken literally right after I booted up for the first time but before I 'muted' the touch controls.

reKon

Banned
Can anyone link me to a cheap USB otg adapter that can allow me to charge my phone and plug in my PS3 controller at the same time?

Jeeeh i finally got mine (in the Netherlands). Ordered it yesterday at dynabyte.nl and it got delivered today :D It works perfectly so far :D No squeeking....speaker performing normal...screen looks awesome.

One thing....i still don't have a proper substitute for airvideo...
I tried a few apps (Mirage, XBMC) but with mirage it will stutter when i got it on software rendering and on hardware rendering there's no sound. XBMC for android runs great until you start a 720p vid and it'll grind to a halt because there is no hardware acceleration. Probably in the future but I wanna watch some series now :(

Anybody got any other ideas for an app? Thx :)

Husker86

Jeeeh i finally got mine (in the Netherlands). Ordered it yesterday at dynabyte.nl and it got delivered today :D It works perfectly so far :D No squeeking....speaker performing normal...screen looks awesome.

I tried a few apps (Mirage, XBMC) but with mirage it will stutter when i got it on software rendering and on hardware rendering there's no sound. XBMC for android runs great until you start a 720p vid and it'll grind to a halt because there is no hardware acceleration. Probably in the future but I wanna watch some series now :(

I haven't tried it for Android yet, but what about Plex?

I haven't tried it for Android yet, but what about Plex?

Haven't tried it yet. No free version available so i'll try other options first. Have emit installed now. Seems to be working. Want to give it a few days before i'll buy it. But thanks for the suggestion!

kehs

Banned
So I've pretty much retired my laptop at home.

I only jump back on it for a specific site that requires multiple windows.

Thank you Steve Jobs for bringing me into the post-pc era.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Stupid thing is sold out everywhere. What a horrible time to break mine, right before my vacation trip. Had to order one from bestbuy with expedited delivery. Hopefully it shows up before the weekend.

Vyer

Stupid thing is sold out everywhere. What a horrible time to break mine, right before my vacation trip. Had to order one from bestbuy with expedited delivery. Hopefully it shows up before the weekend.

How did you break it? And did you try walmart?

Husker86

Haven't tried it yet. No free version available so i'll try other options first. Have emit installed now. Seems to be working. Want to give it a few days before i'll buy it. But thanks for the suggestion!
Test it out really fast during the 15 minute return window, haha.

Divvy

How did you break it? And did you try walmart?

I knocked my coffee mug over (it's one of those thick and heavy ones). The rim hit the very edge of the glass sending a crack across the screen. The digitizer doesn't even work anymore.

I don't know if Walmart carries it around here, since it isn't on their website. Also there isn't really one anywhere near where I live.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Tried Dice Player? It has hardware acceleration, and I've yet to encounter a file it hasn't been able to play smoothly on my Galaxy Nexus (although I hear there's no DTS support - it's a license thing, I think - so if your files use that you might run into issues). It can stream files from regular Windows shares (SMB), which also works perfectly. Also has subtitle support, pop-up play (video playing in a floating window as you do other stuff on the phone), etc.

midonnay

I've found that BSplayer is the best video app for the nexus 7...plays high bitrate mkvs without a sweat.

it also supports alot of things that Dice/Mx etc can't play well like wmv. Sometimes the quality difference is like night and day.

DTS/AC3 too....even the free version. (barely see an ad in that either...strange)

Dice does as well....but you have to insert a codec plugin.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've found that BSplayer is the best video app for the nexus 7...plays high bitrate mkvs without a sweat.

it also supports alot of things that Dice/Mx etc can't play well like wmv. Sometimes the quality difference is like night and day.

DTS/AC3 too....even the free version. (barely see an ad in that either...strange)

Dice does as well....but you have to insert a codec plugin.

Cool, might have to give that one a try and see which one I like best. So far Dice has served me very well, but having a couple of good players to choose from is never a bad thing!

Tried Dice Player? It has hardware acceleration, and I've yet to encounter a file it hasn't been able to play smoothly on my Galaxy Nexus (although I hear there's no DTS support - it's a license thing, I think - so if your files use that you might run into issues). It can stream files from regular Windows shares (SMB), which also works perfectly. Also has subtitle support, pop-up play (video playing in a floating window as you do other stuff on the phone), etc.

Wow thanks hadn't tried that one. Works flawlessly :D and it's free as well.. Haven't tried with dts yet but so far it's been really great :D thanks again!

Got the Nexus 7 from Tesco's last weekend and its amazing. Great build quality, great screen and good size.

Whats the best music player to use that has a good widget as i don't like the stock one

GavinGT

Banned

I only wish pop-up play worked for streaming flash videos. When I go to open a Flash video in my browser, and it asks me which program I'd like to use to open it, all my other video players are listed except Dice Player.

gcubed

Plex is awesome if you have a decently powered computer

Zeth

Feeling better about my purchase now that Amazon has announced their stuff. The vanilla Android experience goes a long way in my book.

woohoo nice picked up a solid, no case issues, no pixels issues $200 nexus 7! That sucker was hard to find in a retail store, 16GB totally sold out and I wanted the 8GB anway to save money for potentially a $300 amazon 8.9 16GB 1920x1200 fire when its out end november

wanted retail store for easy return but please to find is awesome. they wanted $40 for a case, saw better case at amazon for $15 + free shipping so will wait for that

so whats the best video player to put on this? plan on downbloading flv's from youtube...

BFIB

Got my $.64 cent (From Amazon but shipped from Hong Kong) OTG cable in the mail today.

Works like a champ! :) Plugged in the 32GB Micro SD card from my Transformer...

5kfrz.jpg

Awesome.

I'm still having issues getting roms to load on Mame4Droid, could you point me in the right direction for roms?

womp

Awesome.

I'm still having issues getting roms to load on Mame4Droid, could you point me in the right direction for roms?

You need the specific ROM set from MAME 0.37b5. Unfortunately I don't really have a quick answer in terms of direction for you though, outside doing a Google search. The complete set is something like 2 gigs but considerably less if you dump out all those SNK fighting games, which are worthless for me. ;)

Playing Ladybug, Rastan, Sega's Star Trek and Mr. Do! on the Nexus 7 is awesome as hell though. Luckily going from the 10 inch Transformer to the 7 inch Nexus hasn't been too much of a problem and the OTG cable solved the space issues in a snap.

Hieberrr

I urge everyone to root and flash Paranoid Android! NAO!

I did it last night and it works wonders! Tablet UI with Phablet apps is working amazing. The Tablet UI notifications bar and navigation buttons just makes everything less intrusive.

kehs

Banned
I urge everyone to root and flash Paranoid Android! NAO!

I did it last night and it works wonders! Tablet UI with Phablet apps is working amazing. The Tablet UI notifications bar and navigation buttons just makes everything less intrusive.

I tried the tablet layout, buttons were way too small. Prefer getting rid of the navbar and using gesture controls instead.

I would like the tablet layouts for apps though, just not the system ui.

Hieberrr

I tried the tablet layout, buttons were way too small. Prefer getting rid of the navbar and using gesture controls instead.

I would like the tablet layouts for apps though, just not the system ui.

Yeah I get what you mean. I might try gesture based controls, but for now this will do :) I hated typing with Phablet, because I always strike the home key when I try to press the space button >___>

kehs

Banned
Yeah I get what you mean. I might try gesture based controls, but for now this will do :) I hated typing with Phablet, because I always strike the home key when I try to press the space button >___>

One of the main reasons I got rid of the navbar too.

Divvy

Okay I figure I might just root this new one and flash a rom. Any suggestions for which ROM to use? I'm thinking of AOKP but any other suggestions?

I have a rooted/ROMed phone and I get the appeal there-- but why do this with the Nexus? Other than UI, what might it get me?

Not opposed, but would prefer to keep things simple if there's no big gain. On my phone I could ditch the bloatware and do things like tether and upgrade the OS.

Edit: Looks like I can control what size/rez the apps run, cool. That alone may be worth it. Anything else?

I'm waiting for my Logitech G13 to ship back to Amazon and for Amazon to give me my refund, then... Hello Nexus 7!

I can't wait. My HP Touchpad is too big and heavy, time for something more recent and small. From what I can see, the N7 is the perfect tablet.

Hieberrr

I have a rooted/ROMed phone and I get the appeal there-- but why do this with the Nexus? Other than UI, what might it get me?

Not opposed, but would prefer to keep things simple if there's no big gain. On my phone I could ditch the bloatware and do things like tether and upgrade the OS.

For me it's the toggles in the notification bar. Quickly turning wi-fi on/off, changing brightness, etc... has always been important to me.

Customizing lock screen toggles is also really important to me, because it means having to do a few less steps to get to my camera, gmail, google talk, etc...

I can change the lock screen wallpaper, apply themes (not too many great ones so far), and just some other small tweaks. I can also apply/create different profiles that change with the time of day (I haven't used it yet, but it could prove to be useful).

But overall, the small things like toggles and whatnot makes it a lot easier to use.

It's based on CM?

Hmm...might have to give it a shot now, I thought it was a random ROM. I'm guessing the options to change UIs are not from CM?
Yup :) The optional UI changes aren't by CM.

Top Bottom