• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Emily Chu

Banned
another update really love dat paranoid android 2.0+
V6BPK.png

ZnldK.png

UDuAg.png

oh and dat default 4.1.1 browser has quick controls and full screen fuck yes and Flash support!
wapEn.png

and the system quick controls via LMT
iE7jJ.png

pSMyq.png

feels more convenient then browsing the web on my laptop where theres 112 bookmarks just all right there

the fucking future right here
N0qwD.jpg

Emily Chu

Banned
What is this black magic?

it's basically setting Apex launcher at 160 dpi and 360px in the PA settings

and then in the apex settings setting no vertical or horizontal margins and

10x10 in both horizontal and vertical rows and columns

set the default browser book mark widgets to a screen all on it's own

enable expanded desktop mode in the power buttons settings and disable the nav bar in the Paranoid settings

just a hell of alot of anal retentive tweaking and OCD does the trick lol

ooh added a clock too cuz clocks are classssy

bitches <3 clocks

Why isn't this being sold everywhere online? Besides google the only other place I can find it in stock is at sears.com, and google won't even ship free.

midonnay

I have a rooted/ROMed phone and I get the appeal there-- but why do this with the Nexus? Other than UI, what might it get me?

the device doesn't have support for good japanese fonts out of the box so if that floats your boat you pretty much have to unless you want to suffer through simplified chinese characters.

womp

Out of stock at staples, walmart, B&H, and now sears too. :/ If I can't find it in store tomorrow I guess I'll bite the bullet on shipping from google.

Staples is a crapshoot. I swear they go out of stock literally within 15 min. Back when I got mine from there with the $15 off coupon, they had been OOS to in stock and then OOS again within the span of 6 hours!

kehs

Banned
it's basically setting Apex launcher at 160 dpi and 360px in the PA settings

and then in the apex settings setting no vertical or horizontal margins and

10x10 in both horizontal and vertical rows and columns

set the default browser book mark widgets to a screen all on it's own

enable expanded desktop mode in the power buttons settings and disable the nav bar in the Paranoid settings

just a hell of alot of anal retentive tweaking and OCD does the trick lol

ooh added a clock too cuz clocks are classssy

bitches <3 clocks

I meant the last one with what appears to be split screen.

Emily Chu

Banned
I meant the last one with what appears to be split screen.

wait you mean the settings ?

it's just the settings in a tablet mode UI

edit - well it is possible iwth an app called stick it and overskreen

I can have 4-5 HD videos playing at the same time in there own space

multi-media

wKhou

Neo Member
how good are big box stores(ie. futureshop, best buy, or staples.) at letting you return or exchange a defective unit?

Mordeccai

What do you guys use as a keyboard for this thing? Want to pick one up and use it to take notes in class and pretty much everything else, but I don't want to bite unless I can find a nice keyboard or cover/keyboard combo.

kehs

Banned
What do you guys use as a keyboard for this thing? Want to pick one up and use it to take notes in class and pretty much everything else, but I don't want to bite unless I can find a nice keyboard or cover/keyboard combo.

Pretty much any Bluetooth or USB keyboard will work.

----

Chu - oh I was thinking it was multiple app snap thing.

Aeana

I grabbed one today from Walmart. There is some very slight screen lift, but it's really starting to seem like pretty much every unit suffers from the problem in some capacity eventually, even if it's only slight. After some inspection, it actually looks like the back plate is pulling the whole unit down away from the screen, and the lift is the result of the screen trying to stay straight. I pulled the back off and noticed that while the left side isn't secure, the screen actually is flush with the bezel. It isn't until the cover is secured again that it pulls away from it. Mine doesn't click or anything, and it's very slight, so I think I'm going to stick with it, since it doesn't have any other sorts of problems like dead pixels or ghosting or any of that.

the device doesn't have support for good japanese fonts out of the box so if that floats your boat you pretty much have to unless you want to suffer through simplified chinese characters.

Can you give some info on this? This is actually something that has bothered me with Android for years, but I didn't know if there was a fix. How would I go about fixing the font stuff?

Aside, I am very frustrated at the state of spreadsheets on Android. I've spent the evening trying out different ones, so that I can make a portable scoring sheet. None of them seem to be able to filter and sort properly-- either they outright do it wrong, or they screw up relative references when they sort.

Basic stuff for filtering (which they support) but does not work. Arg.

midonnay

Can you give some info on this? This is actually something that has bothered me with Android for years, but I didn't know if there was a fix. How would I go about fixing the font stuff?

Actually I made a mistake.... you can get japanese fonts with Jellybean without rooting. Unlike the past you simply have to change the language settings. Though everything will be in Japanese.

If you want to maintain english language settings but have systemwide support for japanese. (in particular kanji rather than simplified chinese).

1) root the device

2) go to /system/etc/ and find the fallback_fonts and fallback_fonts-ja XML files.

3) first make a copy of the fallback_fonts.....so you can change back if needed.

4) make a copy of fallback_fonts-ja and rename it into fallback_fonts.

DagsJT

Just tried the Paranoid Android ROM but didn't really like the tablet layout, all just felt a bit forced.

Gone back to the AOKP September 4th test build, probably the best ROM I've tried so far.

Aeana

Actually I made a mistake.... you can get japanese fonts with Jellybean without rooting. Unlike the past you simply have to change the language settings. Though everything will be in Japanese.

If you want to maintain english language settings but have systemwide support for japanese. (in particular kanji rather than simplified chinese).

1) root the device

2) go to /system/etc/ and find the fallback_fonts and fallback_fonts-ja XML files.

3) first make a copy of the fallback_fonts.....so you can change back if needed.

4) make a copy of fallback_fonts-ja and rename it into fallback_fonts.
Thanks a lot. I've just set everything to Japanese for now, but I'll probably try the rooting stuff later. I've never done it before so I'd have to look into the specifics. It's nice to have everything finally looking right.

womp

The 8 GB model, it is 200 from Google but 250 from everyone else?

No.

8GB is $199

16GB is $249

Those are its retail prices unless you can find a sale. Anything higher than those, you are being ripped off - such as from Amazon third party sellers.

Hieberrr

Got my $.64 cent (From Amazon but shipped from Hong Kong) OTG cable in the mail today.

Works like a champ! :) Plugged in the 32GB Micro SD card from my Transformer...

5kfrz.jpg

Damn it :(
Shipping to Canada is freaking $20 >__>

EDIT: I found it on amazon.ca :D

Threi

notag
For less than a dollar, there is no reason whatsoever not to have the OTG connector.

If you are good somewhat decent with wiring you can make your own as well. I ran out of patience and made one myself while i was waiting for the one i bought to ship :p

Any news on when the 10inch nexus? I'm desperate for a 10inch tablet and looking at my options here...

My guess, based on absolutely nothing but speculation, would be six months to a year.

If the next line of Kindle Fires really take off, perhaps they'll speed it up a bit. I don't think Google wants to see Amazon - with its shitty reskinned Android OSes - become the dominant non-Apple tablet line.

womp

Time for some Rastan! :)

FGpf2l.jpg

My little Android guy MicroSD card reader barely adds anything to the OTG cable either, freaking awesome!

tyn3Zl.jpg

midonnay

3.02 of nexus media importer has been released

3.01 brought in support for ntfs amongst other things but was crashing for some ppl

Works like a charm

Does nexus 7 come with a good ToDo List app? I thought calendar had one, but it looks terrible in "Agenda" view and when I created a new item it looks like I HAVE to put a date and time (Which I Dont want)

kehs

Banned
Does nexus 7 come with a good ToDo List app? I thought calendar had one, but it looks terrible in "Agenda" view and when I created a new item it looks like I HAVE to put a date and time (Which I Dont want)

The calendar is horrible for managing tasks. Look into Tasks, or Astrid Tasks, or gTasks, or GTasks. They all integrate with your google account and can usually be displayed most calendar widgets.

------

720P recording on the N7. dat nexus

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/10/developers-hackery-leads-to-720p-video-recording-on-nexus-7/

I got to see one of these in real life for the first time the other day and it really struck me how small it was. I knew it was a 7-inch tablet, but I guess I didn't realize how small that meant that it was.

I still kind of want to get one, but i feel like I might wait 'til after tomorrow, at the least.

Top Bottom