• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

tino

Banned
No one can compete with that. Why some of those partners will even bother trying is beyond me. The only way they can compete on that price is with lesser specs and the other Android tablet manufacturers have to make a profit on the hardware.

This has to be a bit similar to how MS partners felt when they unveiled the Surface as well.

Think again, there were two Chinese brand quadcore phones announced for the Chinese market. 1.5 ghz Tegra 3 Quadcore, 4.65" 720 screen on Android 4.0 The price? 999 RMB, that's $158 USD for a Galaxy Nexus-like 3G phone.

These hardware prices are coming down very fast.

Maiar_m

When will this be available in Europe?

Google thinks Europeans are second rate consumers -- well, apart from the UK. We'll get it end of July / early August I believe, and apparantly in France Asus plans to sell it through it's usual distributors (so that means pretty much everywhere).

Angst

Google thinks Europeans are second rate consumers -- well, apart from the UK. We'll get it end of July / early August I believe, and apparantly in France Asus plans to sell it through it's usual distributors (so that means pretty much everywhere).

I think it mostly has to do with the availability of movies/tv/music/books on the Play Store. Which is connected to pyramid scheme of media houses. :p

SteveWD40

So how does the Play store work as far as movies go? Can you store them on your laptop and play them back there as well ala iTunes?

I think I would use the Kindle App for books due to the size of that market.

Damn, I just found out about this a few hours ago. Now I'm seriously considering getting one now.

Argh I just had $150 in credit there that I used picking up steam vouchers. I'm not mad but if I had known this I probably would have only picked up a $50 voucher and put the rest towards the n7

So how does the Play store work as far as movies go? Can you store them on your laptop and play them back there as well ala iTunes?

I think I would use the Kindle App for books due to the size of that market.

There is a kindle app for Android :) As far as movies, I have no idea as I've never purchased or rented any.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Jellybean is on phones and tablets. There is nothing like honeycomb anymore.

Ah, that makes sense.

Wouldn't that hurt the app selection though? I doubt many people are going to be satisfied with blown-up phone apps on a tablet. From my experience, any application that isn't made specifically with a tablet in mind is pretty mediocre when used on anything that's not a phone.
Sure it'll scale up, but they completely disregard the added functionality of the bigger display most of the time.

Are there tablet-only apps on the Play store?

Every time I dip into an Android thread I feel like I need a snack afterwards. Between jelly beans and ice cream sandwiches, I'm going to put on so much weight!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Ah, that makes sense.

Wouldn't that hurt the app selection though? I doubt many people are going to be satisfied with blown-up phone apps on a tablet. From my experience, any application that isn't made specifically with a tablet in mind is pretty mediocre when used on anything that's not a phone.
Sure it'll scale up, but they completely disregard the added functionality of the bigger display most of the time.

Are there tablet-only apps on the Play store?
The upcoming onslaught of cheap Android tablets should make the app selection way better than it is now.

SimleuqiR

Thats terrible for OEMs.

Google really putting that middle finger up to all the people who invested heavily in android devices.

I feel no pity for OEMs that muck up Android. Even when there is no "exclusivity" these guys take their sweet time in updating their devices because they have to piss up the UI.

ASUS is the only one (I think) that has the least UI tweaks in their tablets, and they're the ones making this for Google.

Wait, what? Jellybean source code is going to be released in mid-July, how is Google supposed to prevent OEMs from using openly available code?

It will probably take them four months to actually update any of their ICS devices, so it all works out.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
That verge video had 300 views and 400 likes when I just opened it...are they manipulating the system?

Sanjuro

Oh man I need this to happen in Canada, I have games and an extra 360 to trade in

This was really a luxury purchase for me, so I decided to trade in my DVD collection. At this point they are nothing other than a glorified VHS collection and I haven't added anything to it or watched anything from it in about four years or so. Normally, I'm not a trade in person. The hassle of eBay is just something I don't need to go through at the moment either.

Took them to Newbury Comics, a chain around the New England area. Out of seventy-four DVDs, they took fifty-two. $108, cash. To be honest, I was only expecting $25-40 at the very most.

I felt like I ripped them off.

Sanjuro

Only four months?

Hell, I'm still waiting for ICS on my Incredible II. I'll probably get JB around Q1 2014.

I would say Q3/4 2013, but yeah. People expecting it any sooner are either new to Android or really expecting Verizon/AT&T/etc. to step up their game to an unheard of level.

BFIB

This was really a luxury purchase for me, so I decided to trade in my DVD collection. At this point they are nothing other than a glorified VHS collection and I haven't added anything to it or watched anything from it in about four years or so. Normally, I'm not a trade in person. The hassle of eBay is just something I don't need to go through at the moment either.

Took them to Newbury Comics, a chain around the New England area. Out of seventy-four DVDs, they took fifty-two. $108, cash. To be honest, I was only expecting $25-40 at the very most.

I felt like I ripped them off.

Sanjuro,

You might want to try Amazon for the rest of your collection. I recently did a huge trade in of older DVD's that I can either watch via Netflix, or shows that I just know I won't rewatch. I ended up getting around $300 for about 125 DVD's or so.

Sanjuro

Sanjuro,

You might want to try Amazon for the rest of your collection. I recently did a huge trade in of older DVD's that I can either watch via Netflix, or shows that I just know I won't rewatch. I ended up getting around $300 for about 125 DVD's or so.

Amazon is handing out store credit pennies. I did a test with maybe fifteen of the DVDs, most of them were .15, .25. Highest one I had was under $2.

kehs

Banned
Google going for the jugular.

Wintek ships 500,000 OGS touch panels to Google in June, say sources

Wintek shipped 500,000 units of OGS (one glass solution) touch panels for Google's Nexus 7 tablet PCs in June, according to industry sources. The company's total shipments of OGS touch panels to Google will top one million units during the May-July period.

Google also sources OGS touch panels from TPK Holding, which ships touch panels from its subsidiary Cando, the sources noted.

Google also reportedly plans to launch a 10-inch tablet with touch panels to come from AU Optronics (AUO) and Wintek, making Wintek the largest touch panel supplier for Google, said the sources.

Wintek has been shipping OGS touch panels to a number of clients, and expects OGS to become mainstream in 2013, said company chairman Hyley Huang, estimating that 26.5 million notebooks are expected to adopt touch panels in 2013.

Wintek is also venturing into the development of F/G touch panel solutions which will come in thicknesses measuring 0.1-0.2mm, Huang revealed.

Wintek currently has a production capacity of three million medium-size as well as five million small-size OGS touch panels, according to the company.

Phoenix

This is a smart and stupid move at the same time. Its like if Microsoft adopted the Apple strategy back in the 80s-90s. Yep, you call sell a shitload of them from your brand and make sure they are quality - but you just spread fear and uncertainty throughout your whole ecosystem and make people question the value of working with you instead of manufacturing for say - Microsoft. The last thing Google wants to do is to be a competitor to other Android device makers.

SimleuqiR

Only four months?

Hell, I'm still waiting for ICS on my Incredible II. I'll probably get JB around Q1 2014.

I would say Q3/4 2013, but yeah. People expecting it any sooner are either new to Android or really expecting Verizon/AT&T/etc. to step up their game to an unheard of level.

I'm being optimistic since now they have that PDK. I would expect the GSIII and One X to be the first none-Nexus devices to get the update.

I would replace my 10" with Google's...wait, that didn't sound right.

My Transformer is laggy as shit on ICS. Specially Chrome, seems to crash way to much for my liking.

JCX

With the issues my TF101 has been having, that Gamestop trade in deal is tempting. Only thing is that I am just not ready to fully join the cloud yet. I like having a microSD slot. I use my TF101 on the subway, where I wouldn't be able to access cloud content.

This is a smart and stupid move at the same time. Its like if Microsoft adopted the Apple strategy back in the 80s-90s. Yep, you call sell a shitload of them from your brand and make sure they are quality - but you just spread fear and uncertainty throughout your whole ecosystem and make people question the value of working with you instead of manufacturing for say - Microsoft. The last thing Google wants to do is to be a competitor to other Android device makers.

It seems like Google is rewarding the OEMs who are actually doing a decent job - like Asus and Samsung - by directly partnering with them, while letting everyone else fend for themselves.

Let's be honest - there are a lot of manufacturers using Android that kind of deserve to fail.

Top Bottom