• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I got to see one of these in real life for the first time the other day and it really struck me how small it was. I knew it was a 7-inch tablet, but I guess I didn't realize how small that meant that it was.

I still kind of want to get one, but i feel like I might wait 'til after tomorrow, at the least.

never liked the thought of getting a 7 inch tablet (always wanted 10), but i love this thing. size is just right and is still portable enough to where i can carry it without feeling like i'm carrying a laptop. Plus is crazy fast

yeah to me 7 inch is just the right size for a tablet that comes with me when I drive, for example its easy to hold in one hand or with a bunch of other stuff

- edit that sentence was unintentionally hilarious

10 inch would be better for something I would leave in the house

Maybe it's me, but sometimes at night I think I see the display flicker (particularly on a white background). Has this happened to anyone else?

The auto brightness is turned off.

markot

Banned
yeah to me 7 inch is just the right size for a tablet that comes with me when I drive, for example its easy to hold in one hand or with a bunch of other stuff

You shouldnt be using any tablet when you drive >.>

GavinGT

Banned

clever idea.

womp

Welp, no more need of an OTG cable. I have my Nexus 7 wirelessly connected to my 500GB external drive in my den.

I can load media straight through any app or emulator I wish without any secondary proprietary apps to do it.

Nexus 7 memory restrictions are now no longer an issue. This is amazing. Once my buddy gets his tutorial tweaked I will be happy to share the link, but it is all free and just requires a mounting app and sharing a Windows folder to your home network.

Mordeccai

I finally get the Nexus in the mail tomorrow... the wait is pretty unbearable. Who all rooted and loaded a rom on their device immediately? Thats likely what I am going to do. Have spent a good few hours on XDA just browsing.

womp

I finally get the Nexus in the mail tomorrow... the wait is pretty unbearable. Who all rooted and loaded a rom on their device immediately? Thats likely what I am going to do. Have spent a good few hours on XDA just browsing.

Unlike my Galaxy Nexus phone, I see no reason to jump into a ROM on this device...Just my opinion of course...however, unlocking and rooting it out of the box is mandatory.

I'm an Android virgin outside of tinkering with the horrible $99 tablet I bought just for kicks a year or so ago from Walgreens.com or something (LOL).

Just got my Nexus 7 in the mail.

This is the worst question, but is there a really great "Guide to Android" out there that actually starts at the basics? (for someone extremely technical competent if that matters)

Googling around I find a lot of "list of apps" but the "tips and tricks" sites I've seen were pretty meh.

kehs

Banned
I'm an Android virgin outside of tinkering with the horrible $99 tablet I bought just for kicks a year or so ago from Walgreens.com or something (LOL).

Just got my Nexus 7 in the mail.

This is the worst question, but is there a really great "Guide to Android" out there that actually starts at the basics? (for someone extremely technical competent if that matters)

Googling around I find a lot of "list of apps" but the "tips and tricks" sites I've seen were pretty meh.
Android.com has a good detailing of stuff for new users. You can check for beginners tips articles on androidcentral.com.

Droidlife.com also posts beginners tips:

http://www.droid-life.com/tag/android-beginners-guide/

Mordeccai

Unlike my Galaxy Nexus phone, I see no reason to jump into a ROM on this device...Just my opinion of course...however, unlocking and rooting it out of the box is mandatory.

Yeah, just threw CAD on my Gnex the other day, phone needs to be rooted if only for battery life. The 7 looks extremely snappy, want to root it so I can use a controller with the tablet but the main thing I want to get is tablet UI. Looks like people in this thread don't enjoy it because the screen is too small but I love the expandable settings and quick access to a brightness slider.

womp

Yeah, just threw CAD on my Gnex the other day, phone needs to be rooted if only for battery life. The 7 looks extremely snappy, want to root it so I can use a controller with the tablet but the main thing I want to get is tablet UI. Looks like people in this thread don't enjoy it because the screen is too small but I love the expandable settings and quick access to a brightness slider.

Well, yeah, I enjoy those things too but I also don't find them to be needed as much on the 7 as they would be on the phone. Paranoid Android seems to be hot and cold for many people. Widgetsoid works just fine and having some desktop switches is working for me too.

I realize this is all personal but I would honestly give the stock Nexus 7 experience a good day or two out of the box before jumping into a ROM and seeing how you feel. I just haven't seen a busting need to "OMG I NEED A ROM ON THIS", unlike my phone. lol

Either way, the device is fantastic...let us know how it goes. :)

U2NUMB

Damn it.. I have had my Nexus 7 for a couple months.. really enjoyed it and used it every day. Just right now was listening to radio on it while browsing.. plugged it in and it was charging.. then BOOM.. screen went black with static all over it and I can not get it to come back.

Is this a known issue? Anyone have a direct link to where I get support for this from google?

Edit: So a hard reset (but no data was lost.. is this normal) brought it back but I am now worried it might crap out at some point.

Can anyone comment on how the user experience is for reading comics on the Nexus 7? Can you read most comics on Comixology without panning up and down/zooming in and out?

Bollocks

Got my Nexus 7 today and holy shit is it incredible.
It's fast it's smooth, thin, lightweight, loads of apps, it's basically everything I want a tablet to be.
7" is the perfect form factor.
Google have really outdone themselves with this tablet.
I'm still amazed at that price, if you opt for something else you're dumb.

BFIB

Can anyone comment on how the user experience is for reading comics on the Nexus 7? Can you read most comics on Comixology without panning up and down/zooming in and out?

I have no issues reading the full page view. Though pane by pane view on ComiXology is well implemented.

Threi

notag
Got my cheapie slim case from ebay today:

Pros:
- Plastic inner case is great, fits nicely, takes up no bezel space (I hate that about other cases)
- Proper cutouts, every button and port is accessible just as easily as no case
- Cover flap can fold backwards as well as forwards, so it won't be in the way
- Front flap can fold itself into a triangle so you can use the case as a dock
- Looks pretty good and minimalist, adds no real bulk to the tablet, something i was scared of.

Cons:
- Material (Is it leather? it has a leather design but i dunno wtf it is really) is pretty damn thin. Seems like it will rip/break apart easily. (Expected being that this is a cheapo ebay case, hope to be surprised though)
- There is no stitching present on any seams, it looks like it was just hot glued together, pressed, and then die-cutted.
- If you press too hard on the back you can trigger the magnetic smart cover shut-off function on the tablet. This can be solved by shifting the flap a little to the right but yeah, its there. The interesting thing though, is that this doesn't happen on my dad's N7. His is a C7, while mine is a C6 (launch unit). ASUS might have tweaked something.

All in all can't complain for $8. I know that there are cases where other places sell these exact same cheapo cases with crazy markup ($15-$30), but for the money it's not bad. Would buy again (unless it rips apart in horrific fashion)

Pics:
iZR6c9aG2mvl6.jpg

ipYHp5jxQN6gh.jpg

i26c177Ymcpwc.jpg

i9rRvdFTqD24.jpg

Sora_N

Pros:
- Plastic inner case is great, fits nicely, takes up no bezel space (I hate that about other cases)
- Looks pretty good and minimalist, adds no real bulk to the tablet, something i was scared of.

Cons:
- Material (Is it leather? it has a leather design but i dunno wtf it is really) is pretty damn thin. Seems like it will rip/break apart easily. (Expected being that this is a cheapo ebay case, hope to be surprised though)
- There is no stitching present on any seams, it looks like it was just hot glued together, pressed, and then die-cutted.
- If you press too hard on the back you can trigger the magnetic smart cover shut-off function on the tablet. This can be solved by shifting the flap a little to the right but yeah, its there. The interesting thing though, is that this doesn't happen on my dad's N7. His is a C7, while mine is a C6 (launch unit). ASUS might have tweaked something.

All in all can't complain for $8. I know that there are cases where other places sell these exact same cheapo cases with crazy markup ($15-$30), but for the money it's not bad. Would buy again (unless it rips apart in horrific fashion)

Pics:

Does it feel durable when it's being used as a stand when you fold it?

How protective is that case also? I might grab one for my gf's Nexus 7 as well, seems useful.

Threi

notag
Does it feel durable when it's being used as a stand when you fold it?

How protective is that case also? I might grab one for my gf's Nexus 7 as well, seems useful.

Yeah it feels pretty durable. You can't really adjust the angle that much though, obviously.

In terms of protection i wouldn't say it's very protective at all. Probably from scratches since the front is being covered but i wouldn't expect it to help any if i were to drop it onto a concrete floor.

This looks good. Like that it just clips on and doesn't take up the bezel. What seller did you get yours from?
got mine from ibrookauction, but a quick search shows that they are most likely all the same. If i had money to waste i'd just buy every alternative i could find and see which works the best.

*edit* forgot to mention that i dunno if its the glue or the material, but it has a plasticky scent to it. Kinda annoying and i hope it goes away.

Hieberrr

Pros:

Cons:

Pics:
Looks decent to me. It looks like a poor man's version of the OEM Playbook case, so that's definitely a plus. I love that it doesn't cover the bezel too :D I ordered it last week, so I can't wait for it to come :D

Sora_N

Yeah it feels pretty durable. You can't really adjust the angle that much though, obviously.

In terms of protection i wouldn't say it's very protective at all. Probably from scratches since the front is being covered but i wouldn't expect it to help any if i were to drop it onto a concrete floor.

got mine from ibrookauction, but a quick search shows that they are most likely all the same. If i had money to waste i'd just buy every alternative i could find and see which works the best.

*edit* forgot to mention that i dunno if its the glue or the material, but it has a plasticky scent to it. Kinda annoying and i hope it goes away.

Yeah from what you said I figured it's not very protective but it looks like it'll do the job. I'll try to get another outer pouch for it too in case.

GavinGT

Banned

Pros:

Cons:

Pics:

I love it, aside from the leather exterior. It looks like purse material.

Threi

notag
Threi, how secure is the N7 in that case? It's not gonna slip out if I drop it right?
I thought it would as well, but its actually pretty tight. It won't slip out of the case.

I love it, aside from the leather exterior. It looks like purse material.
Yeah I agree it looks kinda weird. Smells like a purse too. If I could choose again I would have chosen dark grey instead of black.

womp

If anyone is interested in setting up their Nexus 7 over their home network for streaming videos, moving files, books, magazines, PDF's etc etc without being bogged down by a particular proprietary app to do it...

http://www.reviewlagoon.com/?p=734

The big bonus here is that you can mount the networked drive and have it show under any application that allows you to view a file hierarchy. Pick your file manager, or any app you want and poof, there is your networked drive.

Root is required but this is about the best thing in the universe, totally free to do and you don't even need to touch your Nexus 7's precious onboard memory. The only downside? You are stuck at home or under the same WiFi connection/network it is set up on. No big deal though being at home.

Are there any decent tablet specific apps for Android yet Gaf? I love Android on the phone but every time I tried a tablet it seemed the tablet apps were lacking. Kind of tempted to pick up an N7...

For those who are interested, I found a tiny otg solution which means you can add microSD storage to the Nexus 7 without a silly cable dangling off the side.

It's pretty cool, it adds about an inch to the side of it.

You need the following:

1 x Micro USB Male OTG To USB 2.O Female Cable Convertor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180924772...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1101

1 x eKit Micro SD USB Card Reader

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DUMBXM/

1 x micro SD card

So... the reader slots nicely into the USB convertor and the whole thing adds hardly anything to the nexus 7 overall. I'm really happy with this storage solution, and you can get the whole thing including an 8GB microSD card for around £10 if you shop around.

Just thought some folk who like to carry movies and music around may appreciate this!

Sora_N

For those who are interested, I found a tiny otg solution which means you can add microSD storage to the Nexus 7 without a silly cable dangling off the side.

It's pretty cool, it adds about an inch to the side of it.

You need the following:

1 x Micro USB Male OTG To USB 2.O Female Cable Convertor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180924772...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1101

1 x eKit Micro SD USB Card Reader

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DUMBXM/

1 x micro SD card

So... the reader slots nicely into the USB convertor and the whole thing adds hardly anything to the nexus 7 overall. I'm really happy with this storage solution, and you can get the whole thing including an 8GB microSD card for around £10 if you shop around.

Just thought some folk who like to carry movies and music around may appreciate this!

Good find thanks! I can't seem to find the eKit on ebay for a good price though. I'll have to dig around for a different kind of USB.

Emily Chu

Banned
Good find thanks! I can't seem to find the eKit on ebay for a good price though. I'll have to dig around for a different kind of USB.

hmm when I get the OTB cable I rather just dangle it to behind the tablet and use some black tape to tape a 32GB USB Stick to the back of a case cover for a semi permanent form of storage expansion

really wished this just added micro sd card slot those bastards...

Mordeccai

Yesss finally got it in the mail, and damn this device is sexy. Today I dive down the rabbit hole of home screen customization and getting some emulators to work on this beast. Already used it for note taking and powerpoint viewing in class earlier, and I can already tell this thing will be my best friend.

This tablet is faster than my current laptop. Once I get some triple A's for the keyboard I bought, I won't even touch my laptop unless I have to write a legitimate paper.

Fantasmo

When the hell is the dock with Pogo pins coming out? God damn Asus/Google. I want to use USB OTG and charge simultaneously you fools!

Top Bottom