• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I'm not new to Android but I have never rooted any of my devices before.

If I root and unlock my Nexus 7, can I still get OS updates from Google as normal when they push them to devices, or do I need to wait until those updates appear on the web for rooted devices?

BFIB

If I root and unlock my Nexus 7, can I still get OS updates from Google as normal when they push them to devices, or do I need to wait until those updates appear on the web for rooted devices?

You can feel free to update if you so choose, but be aware that you'll have to re-root again. But its mostly a pain-free experience, I was able to root in about 5 minutes.

Angst

Yep, as long as you don't install another rom you'll still get the ota updates. You might have to root again after the updates though.

Slime

Banned
Returning my most recent one for good today. It's been swell, but I'm really tired of there being dead pixels on every unit I get.

You can feel free to update if you so choose, but be aware that you'll have to re-root again. But its mostly a pain-free experience, I was able to root in about 5 minutes.

Yep, as long as you don't install another rom you'll still get the ota updates. You might have to root again after the updates though.
Thank you very much for the information.

Last questions:
Doesn't rooting wipe the device (ie: everytime there's an update, I'd need to wipe everything in order to root it again)? Is it inadvisable to update your device after it's been rooted? Does the same rooting process work between updates?

womp

hmm when I get the OTB cable I rather just dangle it to behind the tablet and use some black tape to tape a 32GB USB Stick to the back of a case cover for a semi permanent form of storage expansion

really wished this just added micro sd card slot those bastards...

FGpf2l.jpg

Mine dangles behind just fine...The nub of my little reader is so light that the cord is heavier.

This is the one I use....

http://www.meritline.com/usb-2-0-mini-microsd-card-reader---p-76293.aspx

womp

Yesss finally got it in the mail, and damn this device is sexy. Today I dive down the rabbit hole of home screen customization and getting some emulators to work on this beast. Already used it for note taking and powerpoint viewing in class earlier, and I can already tell this thing will be my best friend.

This tablet is faster than my current laptop. Once I get some triple A's for the keyboard I bought, I won't even touch my laptop unless I have to write a legitimate paper.

Use your free Nexus Google Play credit and snag the Robert Broglia emulators, you will NOT be disappointed. Best quality emulators available.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=robert+broglia&c=apps

Don't be swayed by the Boid ones because they are free, they are horrible. You get what you pay for.

Yes, you will get OTA with a stock rooted Nexus 7, however every OTA update unroots you.

But there is nothing to fear and no reason to re-root manually or need a PC...

Install and run OTA Rootkeeper...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Back up your current root then reapply it after you install an OTA. Poof, done.

3phemeral

uhh how do I set this up ?

It's super simple if you've already signed up for a Google Voice account.

Just download either the Lite version or paid version of Groove IP, open the app and link your gmail account to it. Once it signs in, your contact list should appear and you can call whenever you've got WiFi.

Emily Chu

Banned
It's super simple if you've already signed up for a Google Voice account.

Just download either the Lite version or paid version of Groove IP, open the app and link your gmail account to it. Once it signs in, your contact list should appear and you can call whenever you've got WiFi.

DONE

JESUS FUCK !!

THIS WILL BE MY FREE UNLIMITED HOME PHONE

I can receive calls too awesome.... I just unchecked my mobile phone though and fowarded all calls with my google voice number to google chat.
NICE
gR225.gif

This.... this is awesome!!!

3phemeral

DONE

JESUS FUCK !!

THIS WILL BE MY FREE UNLIMITED HOME PHONE

gR225.gif

This.... this is awesome!!!

LOL.

It's great, indeed it is. Not to rain a bit on your parade, but it can suffer from lag occasionally. It's nothing too bad, kinda like what you see when you watch satellite interviews on the news.

Yes, you will get OTA with a stock rooted Nexus 7, however every OTA update unroots you.

But there is nothing to fear and no reason to re-root manually or need a PC...

Install and run OTA Rootkeeper...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Back up your current root then reapply it after you install an OTA. Poof, done.

Thank you! I rooted and installed OTA RootKeeper. I clicked the "Protect root" button, so hopefully everything still works fine when the next OTA update comes along.

womp

Thank you! I rooted and installed OTA RootKeeper. I clicked the "Protect root" button, so hopefully everything still works fine when the next OTA update comes along.

It will. It was already tested against the initial OTA the Nexus 7 got and it worked perfectly with it. ;)

It also worked pretty well on my Transformer 101 too but since the Nexus 7 doesn't have a locked bootloader, I wouldn't worry...

womp

wait can you install apps and such on the thing ?

Seems that way...But for me simply being able to have basic read/write abilities is enough. heh.

Without root you need an app portal and it is read only - no thanks.

Once you have root? The gates are all open. I simply move and load magazines, comics and ROMs (Such as MAME) off it through app file management and file managers.

Once again, not owning one is a crime. hahaha

Mordeccai

Use your free Nexus Google Play credit and snag the Robert Broglia emulators, you will NOT be disappointed. Best quality emulators available.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=robert+broglia&c=apps

Don't be swayed by the Boid ones because they are free, they are horrible. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for pointing these out to me :] Gameboid shit out on my Gnex ealier this summer and I lost a good 15 hour playthrough of Mother 3.

I don't see a SNES emulator from this guy though, what would you recommend for that? On a whim I bought SuperGNES from Bubble Zap Games a while ago(lol, sounds ridiculous to type that) and it wasn't very functional. I also bought N64oid earlier today... wish I had checked this thread before hand though haha. Don't see many options for 64 emulation though. Additionally, I tried to play LOZ OOT with the wii classic controller, game ran perfectly but I couldn't map the analog sticks correctly. Was going to get started on pairing the PS3 controller with the tablet for some testing.

Btw, you've been an extremely helpful poster in this thread and I thank you again!

womp

Thanks for pointing these out to me :] Gameboid shit out on my Gnex ealier this summer and I lost a good 15 hour playthrough of Mother 3.

I don't see a SNES emulator from this guy though, what would you recommend for that? On a whim I bought SuperGNES from Bubble Zap Games a while ago(lol, sounds ridiculous to type that) and it wasn't very functional.

Btw, you've been an extremely helpful poster in this thread and I thank you again!

Yep, forgot to mention that. For some reason Google removed his SNES emu from the market about a year and a half ago...But he still regularly updates it along with his other emulators and makes it available for free on his website.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex

You just need to sideload it. Download it from this link below through your Nexus 7 via a web browser (Chrome etc) and simply install it after.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads/Snes9xEX-9-1.4.32.apk?attredirects=0

No worries about SNES emulation after this, it's pretty much flawless and every one of his emulators has Wii Mote connect built right in. You could possibly even take the save file from the SNESBoid crap and run it and resume where you left off in Mother 3. As a side note, install ES File Manager (Free and easy to use) to help you mange files such as this.

As for 64 emulation, the only 64 I want is the Commodore kind. ;)

Mordeccai

Yep, forgot to mention that. For some reason Google removed his SNES emu from the market about a year and a half ago...But he still regularly updates it along with his other emulators and makes it available for free on his website.

You just need to sideload it. Download it from this link below through your Nexus 7 via a web browser (Chrome etc) and simply install it after.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads/Snes9xEX-9-1.4.32.apk?attredirects=0

No worries about SNES emulation after this, it's pretty much flawless and every one of his emulators has Wii Mote connect built right in. You could possibly even take the save file from the SNESBoid crap and run it and resume where you left off in Mother 3. As a side note, install ES File Manager (Free and easy to use) to help you mange files such as this.

GBA emu bought and SNES emu sideloaded, sexcellent! I've got Root Explorer for file management I bought a year or so ago, its been my go to file manager. I was mainly wanting to emulate N64 to showboat to my friends, but theres really no N64 game I crave to play on my tablet that I don't have elsewhere. (Besides Pokemon Snap. Damn. Although AFAIK it gives most people on the internet troubles regardless, even on PC emulation.)

womp

GBA emu bought and SNES emu sideloaded, sexcellent! I've got Root Explorer for file management I bought a year or so ago, its been my go to file manager. I was mainly wanting to emulate N64 to showboat to my friends, but theres really no N64 game I crave to play on my tablet that I don't have elsewhere. (Besides Pokemon Snap. Damn. Although AFAIK it gives most people on the internet troubles regardless, even on PC emulation.)

Root explorer...even better. ;)

Now go snag a Wii Mote (Classic controller is great for SNES) and have some fun. I also recommend one of those $4.99 tablet stands they sell at Gamestop. Work fantastic!

GavinGT

Banned
Root explorer...even better. ;)

Now go snag a Wii Mote (Classic controller is great for SNES) and have some fun. I also recommend one of those $4.99 tablet stands they sell at Gamestop. Work fantastic!

Is this in-store only? I can't find it anywhere online.

Schlep

Not sure if it's been covered in the thread, but if you have a 16GB, try not to let the available storage dip below 3GB (some even say 5GB) for the time being. It will result in the tablet becoming very slow and hiccupy, and the only cure is a factory reset. Google is aware of the problem, but there's no information on any fix yet.

Threi

notag
Stock OS + stock rooted kernel.

how i roll B)

*edit* wow @ the new kingsoft office UI...who said the best options aren't free?

markot

Banned
Yeah, I tried all the office, well the big, apps, and kingsoft is the best from my experience >.>

PDF sucks though, but the rest is great, it renders ppt stuff perfectly and has a great ui.

I actually looked for a paid version cause I wanted to support them, but there is none!

Angst

What are the plus's of rooting?

theres not a single valid reason not to

unless you're in love with the stock OS and OTAs
Root =!= Custom ROM

You can root and not install another ROM but keep doing the OTAs as mentioned above. Root gives you access to some features and apps that requires root. Custom ROMs can give your whole device a new OS, or just stock with some added options.

Are there any specific reasons as to why these are better than the oid emulators? I've used those for a year or so with no issues - primarily the GBA and SNES ones.

I'm nervous about buying emulators on the market because, as you said, his SNES one is gone from the market. What happens if Google decides (or are forced) to remove more of them?

I might be concerned about nothing, but that's what is preventing me from buying these emulators (not to mention I already have a free alternative).

S1kkZ

hi guys.

i have the chance to get a brand new nexus 7 (the 8gb version) for 100 bucks (store credit and gift card). its going to be my first android device, so i have no clue what to do first.

is there some sort of beginners guide?

womp

Are there any specific reasons as to why these are better than the oid emulators? I've used those for a year or so with no issues - primarily the GBA and SNES ones.

I'm nervous about buying emulators on the market because, as you said, his SNES one is gone from the market. What happens if Google decides (or are forced) to remove more of them?

I might be concerned about nothing, but that's what is preventing me from buying these emulators (not to mention I already have a free alternative).

I've been on Android since 09 and have pretty much tried them all - Robert's are the best IMO in terms of regular updates, quality, great UI, and most of all features (Built in Wii Mote connect and graphical modes for starters). You get what you pay for. His emus have been on the Market for almost two years now and he himself doesn't understand why the SNES one was removed while the rest have stayed, he has never gotten a concrete answer from Google about it. In the meantime I wouldn't worry about it since the guy will just host them elsewhere (ala SNES), plus, if you are rooted and use Titanium Backup, you can easily back up your most recent release of them and archive for the future anyhow.

I'm not saying the Boid ones aren't usable but for what its worth, I think they are some of the worst...and lack credible support.

Mordeccai

how i roll B)

*edit* wow @ the new kingsoft office UI...who said the best options aren't free?
wow, thank you for mentioning this app. This was JUST what I was looking for today. Default document viewer was horrid for powerpoints, all of the text elements were blending into eachother. This UI is great.

how i roll B)

Kingsoft office is great, but it screws up cell contents when sorting after filtering. It's driving me crazy, because so do the other office suites.

Sora_N

I picked up our nexus, there were fingerprints on the screen although it was factory sealed. Prob refurb by google? Was there something wrong with the refurbs? I'm going to find some wifi to set up to check for dead pixels atm.

Chocobro

I picked up a Nexus 7 8GB last night at a Staples; unlocked, rooted, and flashed the Paranoid ROM (there was an update today, FYI) after trying out the stock 4.1.1 today. The customization available is great. I also found out a pretty cool way of choosing your wallpaper without cropping using Perfect Viewer: open the picture on PV, adjust it, and set the picture as your wallpaper as is (there's an option somewhere).

There's a slight screen lifting on the left side of the screen, I only noticed after checking for defects; I shouldn't bother asking for a new unit amirite?

Lets see how reading textbook PDFs using ezPDF Reader will turn out.

kehs

Banned
I just downloaded a video through utorrent, moved it so a NAS and then play it through a Google TV.

All controlled with my Nexus 7, the fuck do I need a computer for anymore?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
so now over a full month in and there has been zero screen lift or creaking issues since.

i am having the screen flickering issues, so i'm having device RMAd sometime next week for the next batch of hardware. love the tablet overall, but it's been nagging me a bit as the device doesn't seem to like my open-source wifi routers anymore. it'll happily feed off my work or iPad wifi, but not the two home hotspots i use.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where's the side-connector dock I read about?

Top Bottom