• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Not sure if it's been covered in the thread, but if you have a 16GB, try not to let the available storage dip below 3GB (some even say 5GB) for the time being. It will result in the tablet becoming very slow and hiccupy, and the only cure is a factory reset. Google is aware of the problem, but there's no information on any fix yet.

thanks for posting this, i was having this issue as my nexus 7 all of a sudden became insanely laggy and wasn't sure what caused it. sure enough i had dipped below 3gb. i followed the google code ticket for the bug/issue so i'm really hoping this gets resolved.

kehs

Banned
thanks for posting this, i was having this issue as my nexus 7 all of a sudden became insanely laggy and wasn't sure what caused it. sure enough i had dipped below 3gb. i followed the google code ticket for the bug/issue so i'm really hoping this gets resolved.

Got a link to the google code thread?

kehs

Banned
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=37258

here is the product forum post:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/loqbCbKVMWE/o3UcgtmnoUkJ

Google is asking for devices so they will be looking into it. hopefully they find a fix soon

Thanks, I don't have that problem. I do have a problem with the AOSP browser though, after a good time using it, it has a cycle lag. Hard to explain, but like every three seconds is freezes up for no reason. It's annoying when scrolling a long page.

I was hoping it was related.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Thanks, I don't have that problem. I do have a problem with the AOSP browser though, after a good time using it, it has a cycle lag. Hard to explain, but like every three seconds is freezes up for no reason. It's annoying when scrolling a long page.

I was hoping it was related.
Do you constantly close apps you're not using?

GavinGT

Banned
swiping from the recent apps screen doesn't actually close the app :p

Yes, it does. At least for the apps I'm trying. For instance, I use an app called Soundwire that redirects my PC's audio to my tablet. Swiping from the recent apps screen both stops the audio and removes the persistent icon from the notification bar.

kehs

Banned
Yes, it does. At least for the apps I'm trying. For instance, I use an app called Soundwire that redirects my PC's audio to my tablet. Swiping from the recent apps screen both stops the audio and removes the persistent icon from the notification bar.

The developer is doing it wrong.

Swiping from the recent apps clears the current activity from memory, but doesn't kill the it's running services.

Seems that Soundwire is running their service within the activity, instead of creating a background service for the audio. (Like most music players that play in the background).

GavinGT

Banned
The developer is doing it wrong.

Swiping from the recent apps clears the current activity from memory, but doesn't kill the it's running services.

Seems that Soundwire is running their service within the activity, instead of creating a background service for the audio. (Like most music players that play in the background).

Splashtop 2 acts the same way when I swipe to remove it.

I've been thinking about getting a 7 inch tablet to use as a planner/to do list/finance tracking/internet/email on the go machine.

I've seen a number of issues (the screen lifting, dead pixels and so on) but this still looks like the best option for me. I'm only hesitant because of a possibly ipad mini announcement and the aforementioned issues.

For my limited uses, is the Nexus the way to go?

kehs

Banned
Splashtop 2 acts the same way when I swipe to remove it.

I think it's a good choice for splashtop, since there's a live connection to another computer.

Maybe the same thought process went through the soundwire developers. I think if you shoot them an email they might rectify it, or at least add a "run in background" option.

Sora_N

Is there any point of rooting for a casual user? My gf will be mainly using it for reading notes, browsing, etc. I read that it's super simple to root it but I don't know how much it'll benefit that kind of usage.

If it's rooted, are the menus and stuff a lot more customizable?

kehs

Banned
Is there any point of rooting for a casual user? My gf will be mainly using it for reading notes, browsing, etc. I read that it's super simple to root it but I don't know how much it'll benefit that kind of usage.

If it's rooted, are the menus and stuff a lot more customizable?

No immediate point. However, everyone I know that doesn't root eventually asks me if they can do something that usually requires root.

I would root/unlock now, and just leave it in the background. So if something does come around that you want root for, it's accessible and you won't lose any data.

-----

Unrelated, where the hell are my docks Google? I'm tired of forgetting to plug this thing is.

Slime

Banned
Damnit, I feel like my fate is tied to this thing. I tried to go back to my iPad 2 and the display is vomit-worthy in comparison. I need a tablet as pretty as this, but I just don't want to throw down $500+ for the newest iPad, and if I get another Nexus it'll be my fifth since July.

Why did Google have to go with ASUS? :(

Damnit, I feel like my fate is tied to this thing. I tried to go back to my iPad 2 and the display is vomit-worthy in comparison. I need a tablet as pretty as this, but I just don't want to throw down $500+ for the newest iPad, and if I get another Nexus it'll be my fifth since July.

Why did Google have to go with ASUS? :(

I loved the idea at first of a small tablet, thought 7 inches would be fine. But the nexus 7 was not for me. It's too small. Build quality is terrible by the way. Seriously ASUS.

Slime

Banned
I just wish there was an awesome, affordable alternative to the iPad 3 that wasn't the Nexus 7. Closest things are Transformers but those are also by ASUS and have even shittier build quality from what I've heard.

I don't mind the 7" form factor at all, personally. I just want a great-looking tablet that doesn't cost half a grand, looks great, and is reliable. Unfortunately this is only two of those things. = /

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just wish there was an awesome, affordable alternative to the iPad 3 that wasn't the Nexus 7. Closest things are Transformers but those are also by ASUS and have even shittier build quality from what I've heard.

I don't mind the 7" form factor at all, personally. I just want a great-looking tablet that doesn't cost half a grand, looks great, and is reliable. Unfortunately this is only two of those things. = /

Amazon Fire, I guess.

Vyer

The later batches of 7s might be more reliable.

But yeah, I guess the fire or wait and see what the iPad mini looks like next month.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm trying to make the bar at the bottom hidable, but searching for a way is kind of making my head spin. Is there a very simple program that just makes it happen?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
While my screen lift has been fixed by using the aforementioned nailpolish to retain the screw (solid month of usage!), i'm going to RMA the device to see if they've fixed the screen flickering issues. I don't want to limit my Wifi signal using the fix posted on some forums since I already have connection issues with this device and my home routers.

It's a shame. I truly love the feel of the device and the OS, but the screen and wifi issues have put a damper on my use of it lately.

Zeth

Shame I didn't realize the flickering was a real issue until it was far too late to exchange. Still no screen lift though.

3phemeral

I know its not just me but anyones 16GB get slower then molasses when under 4-5 GB of free space ?

common asus and google... : /

They're supposed to be working on it.

And damn, you guys filled up the space that quickly?

I've been filling up my mom's N7 with all her movies and mp3s and still haven't filled it up. Mainly that's because most things I can get away with placing in some cloud storage (Google Music, Dropbox, Google Drive), I'll place them in there. Really, the only thing taking up space on the device are apps, lots of games my nephew likes to play, and Google Maps offline.

She only keeps it at home, so she's always connected to her wifi.

Mordeccai

Every once in a while a black horizontal line will flicker across the screen of my device... should I use my warranty and get a replacement? It doesn't bother me but I don't want the issue to progress and potentially wind up with dead pixels or a faulty display and be screwed without warranty.

@fluffydelusions your app works fine on my device. Tested all the different note types, all saved, no FC. Though I only used it for three minutes or so. Only recommendation would be to make the buttons for new and note a bit bigger.

Emily Chu

Banned
They're supposed to be working on it.

And damn, you guys filled up the space that quickly?

I've been filling up my mom's N7 with all her movies and mp3s and still haven't filled it up. Mainly that's because most things I can get away with placing in some cloud storage (Google Music, Dropbox, Google Drive), I'll place them in there. Really, the only thing taking up space on the device are apps, lots of games my nephew likes to play, and Google Maps offline.

She only keeps it at home, so she's always connected to her wifi.

Well you know DAT utorrent beta lol

Its weird I download stuff anduplod it to drop box for all my devices

Shame I didn't realize the flickering was a real issue until it was far too late to exchange. Still no screen lift though.

95% of flickering issues are not related to any hardware defect but are actually a result of the Nvidia Tegra Prism function over-aggressively manipulating the backlight settings. It'll most likely get picked up in a software update down the line, but in the meantime, there's an app for that.

midonnay

Every once in a while a black horizontal line will flicker across the screen of my device... should I use my warranty and get a replacement? It doesn't bother me but I don't want the issue to progress and potentially wind up with dead pixels or a faulty display and be screwed without warranty.

I get that too....

because of the first return, it spooked me abit too at the beginning.

but it doesn't happen too often (maybe once or twice an hour) and doesn't seem to be permanent (yet) so I've accepted it.

Hopefully its a software issue.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I get that too....

because of the first return, it spooked me abit too at the beginning.

but it doesn't happen too often (maybe once or twice an hour) and doesn't seem to be permanent (yet) so I've accepted it.

Hopefully its a software issue.

Hey thanks for this info

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=37258

here is the product forum post:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/loqbCbKVMWE/o3UcgtmnoUkJ

Google is asking for devices so they will be looking into it. hopefully they find a fix soon

I thought something was up with mine recently!

Downloads on the Play store have been painfully slow so I wonder if the write speed is bottle necking the connection speed?

Constant time outs on apps with the Wait/Report/Close option. Even browsing the internet has been fine, games however run without a hiccup!

alejob

I'm lookin for a place where I can order the 16GB version tax free(I work for the state). Doesn't seem like google play will let me enter a tax exempt code, the local staples doesn't carry nexus 7, amazon wants $50 extra for the thing. Other retailers(walmart, office depot) will charge me taxes. I'm cheap even when it's not my money ;)

I'll have to try the local Best Buy, we might have an account with them.

DXPett1

Did anyone else have trouble recieving their $25 Play Store credit?

I have a already working Google account tied to my credit card and signed in with that but so far no credit.

I read some people just did a Factory reset and once second sign in it work but no dice for me (done it twice already, second time I removed my CC from the wallet prior to the reset and reentered when asked)

EDIT: Solved, purchased a $2 trial VPN with a Australia end point, reseted, logged in VPN and then signed in to my Google account...BAM credit and Transformers added to my account.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Ugh. I'm dying over here. I'm trying to decide between this and an ipod 5. It would be really cool to have a tablet, and I could just go right down to Walmart and pick up a Nexus.

But when I read about all these build issues and dudes having to RMA like 5 times it just sounds like an awful nightmare.

It seems like Android is doing a lot better on the gaming front and that most games get an Android version now. On the mp3 front I can just pull my music from itunes and put it on the nexus no problem I assume.

I'm concerned that Walmart will give me shit if I try to return a Nexus like 4 times and I'll get stuck with a broke-ass tablet.

I won't lie, price is one of the big appeals. Paying $250 for something as powerful as an iPad 3 is tempting when the alternative is my paying $300 for an ipod 5. But price won't be worth it if I gotta keep returning it.

Argh I just wish Asus had their shit together for this.

On another note, if I do go with this can anyone recommend a hard case? I've got an otterbox defender on my ipod and it's super safe. Sadly Otterbox doesn't make Nexus 7 cases, but does anyone know of something similar?

Also, how's the Nexus for running? Is it, say, small enough to fit in a big pocket? If I just bought some Bluetooth headphones I'd be good to go, right? I could just buy a small backpack in that case.

I'm lookin for a place where I can order the 16GB version tax free(I work for the state). Doesn't seem like google play will let me enter a tax exempt code, the local staples doesn't carry nexus 7, amazon wants $50 extra for the thing. Other retailers(walmart, office depot) will charge me taxes. I'm cheap even when it's not my money ;)

Macmall?

womp

Ugh. I'm dying over here. I'm trying to decide between this and an ipod 5. It would be really cool to have a tablet, and I could just go right down to Walmart and pick up a Nexus.

But when I read about all these build issues and dudes having to RMA like 5 times it just sounds like an awful nightmare.

It seems like Android is doing a lot better on the gaming front and that most games get an Android version now. On the mp3 front I can just pull my music from itunes and put it on the nexus no problem I assume.

I'm concerned that Walmart will give me shit if I try to return a Nexus like 4 times and I'll get stuck with a broke-ass tablet.

I won't lie, price is one of the big appeals. Paying $250 for something as powerful as an iPad 3 is tempting when the alternative is my paying $300 for an ipod 5. But price won't be worth it if I gotta keep returning it.

On another note, if I do go with this can anyone recommend a hard case? I've got an otterbox defender on my ipod and it's super safe. Sadly Otterbox doesn't make Nexus 7 cases, but does anyone know of something similar?

Also, how's the Nexus for running? Is it, say, small enough to fit in a big pocket? If I just bought some Bluetooth headphones I'd be good to go, right? I could just buy a small backpack in that case.

You'll be fine. Go for it. My 7 is perfectly fine and I haven't exchanged anything. Wall*Mart has a nice $30 warranty for it as well of that makes you feel better. Instant replacement over three years.

If anything you are always going to hear about the people who have had problems and not from the ones that don't.

I'm using a $7 Kindle Fire sleeve for mine that I got from Amazon. Normally $40 but on clearance. Leather with felt interior and a magnetic clasp. I like my 7 naked. :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

The new ones don't seem to have the build issues. I got a new one and it feels fairly different from my old one which was squishy in places. The new one is rock solid.

The local Staples can order it for you online and have it shipped to your house next day for free. If they tell you that they can't, ask them to use the computer and you'll do it yourself.

Top Bottom