• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

womp

Everyone be aware that the promotion to get $25 free credit when purchasing a Nexus 7 is ending 9/30. So if you are looking to pick one up, do it as soon as possible so you don't miss out.

Slime

Banned
Couldn't keep myself away. Saw that Future Shop had another shipment in, made sure it was the most recent batch (90O), and decided to give it another shot.

Well, I guess sixth time's the charm.

No loose screen, no dead pixels, and nothing at all wrong as far as I can tell. Obviously going to knock on wood and keep my receipt just in case, but I think it's actually finally over. Time (I hope) to enjoy my Nexus 7 without feeling like I'm renting it.

SO MUCH
(moderately trepidatious)
RELIEF

BFIB

Welcome back to the fold Slime, now get to rooting!

Glad to hear you're happy w/ the latest one. Hopefully the production issues are in the past.

Hieberrr

Just got my case in the mail today (same as Threi's) and yeah. It's a good case for the price I paid (like $8?). It's REALLY thin, so you get what you pay for. The unit seems to fit in pretty well without any indication that it will fall out any time soon. The plastic that holds the unit is actually glued onto the "leather" casing. Truth be told, the glue doesn't seem like it's that great. If it falls apart, I'll glue it on myself with some industrial shit :D. But yeah, for $8, I can't complain.

It beats buying a case for like $40.

wanders

Anyone have a Bluetooth keyboard for their N7? The one I have is having problems and I'm pretty sure its coming from the N7. Keeps dropping connection after exiting or switching apps. Is Bluetooth a problem on this thing?

Hi guys. Going to be in Montreal for 2 weeks hoping to pick up a Nexus 7.

I have checked the online stores of staples, future shop and best buy and the Nexus 7 is listed for around 259.

This is going to be my first time buying in Canada, so can someone clarify this for me? Is 259 the price I will actually be paying for? or will there be other costs on top of the 259 price? Would you recommend I order this online? or just grab one in store?

Being a victim of the < 3-5gb bug, I figured that I'd best do a reset before taking the thing on holiday. I can't believe what a difference it's made and what I've been putting up with for a while!

I also finally rooted it at the same time, I can't believe what an easy process it was with the Nexus Root Toolkit. Now to sync a wii remote to it!

Being a victim of the < 3-5gb bug, I figured that I'd best do a reset before taking the thing on holiday. I can't believe what a difference it's made and what I've been putting up with for a while!

I also finally rooted it at the same time, I can't believe what an easy process it was with the Nexus Root Toolkit. Now to sync a wii remote to it!
Did you do a adb backup prior to the reset? Just wondering how much app data it saves / hoe easy it was

Did you do a adb backup prior to the reset? Just wondering how much app data it saves / hoe easy it was

Nah, to be honest I only had 2gb left, so if I'd done a full back up and then restored it I'd be in the same situation as before because I don't think you can choose certain apps to restore (outside of backing each individual one up separately). The backup process seems incredibly easy as in I believe it's literally a one click back up.

Speaking of which I found that backing up individual apps only seemed to create a file about 10kbs in size which did nothing when I tried to restore them?

wKhou

Neo Member
gcDVW.png

does anyone else get that when they try to watch a YouTube video within the browser?

kehs

Banned
Does this actually support apps or just Widgets?

So windows OS functionality with desktop multi-tasking or no because it be worth 10$ for that

if Widgets only then no

They have their own custom data pulling feeds. So if you want twitter/facebook/rss feeds you set it up through their launcher/app.

I think I saw something about allowing regular widgets on there, but I don't know if they've implemented it.

Chameleon is kind of a disappointment. I backed the Kickstarter thinking it was going to be a really neat, fast, usable launcher for tablets but after installing the beta (and trying again with version 1.0) it's anything but. Animations are slow, there's not a good, useful variety of widgets out yet, and switching screens is a pain.

buhdeh

I have checked the online stores of staples, future shop and best buy and the Nexus 7 is listed for around 259.

This is going to be my first time buying in Canada, so can someone clarify this for me? Is 259 the price I will actually be paying for? or will there be other costs on top of the 259 price? Would you recommend I order this online? or just grab one in store?

It's $259 everywhere in Canada. Ordering online means you add $20 for shipping lol. Future Shop has a "bonus" Canon wireless printer for $30 when you purchase a tablet.

3phemeral

Chameleon is kind of a disappointment. I backed the Kickstarter thinking it was going to be a really neat, fast, usable launcher for tablets but after installing the beta (and trying again with version 1.0) it's anything but. Animations are slow, there's not a good, useful variety of widgets out yet, and switching screens is a pain.

Same here. Was forcing myself to use it for a while and I didn't even mind having to setup everything when there was an update, but I just found it laggy and lacking. I'll check back on it a few months from now.

Schlep

Anyone have a Bluetooth keyboard for their N7? The one I have is having problems and I'm pretty sure its coming from the N7. Keeps dropping connection after exiting or switching apps. Is Bluetooth a problem on this thing?
I use the Logitech Android keyboard and have never had the connection drop.

JonnyBrad

They ditched flash for... Adobe Air. not exactly sure what's going on there

Fuck me you're right. There packaging a flash solution in AIR. The reasoning being that doing it this way they can support right down to 2.0. They can't use something modern like HLS because its only honeycomb and up.

Emily Chu

Banned
Fuck me you're right. There packaging a flash solution in AIR. The reasoning being that doing it this way they can support right down to 2.0. They can't use something modern like HLS because its only honeycomb and up.

wait wut?
wut the motherfuck is going on here, so if you only have "Air" installed you can watch flash videos on a browser in android ?

unless there is something I'm missing here

still rocking dat flash apk on my N7 though

JonnyBrad

wait wut?
wut the motherfuck is going on here, so if you only have "Air" installed you can watch flash videos on a browser in android ?

unless there is something I'm missing here

still rocking dat flash apk on my N7 though

No I think this will be specific to the iPlayer.

Mordeccai

So I occasionally have a black horizontal line flicker across the screen and now just today I have noticed screen flicker on the lowest brightness setting for the first time (especially horrible on white backgrounds), have had the tablet for a week. Is this something that can be fixed by an OTA update or should I exchange it through Google? I'm within that trade in period if its only been a week, correct?

womp

He's using firefox.

I checked it myself and I don't have that problem.

Unfortunately I didn't even know there was a pic in that post...My work WiFi must have blocked it, otherwise I would have known that he wasn't using Chrome.

I hate my job. :|

It will be $300 after sales tax (15% in Quebec). Buying online won't save you from sales tax in Canada, unless it's Kijiji/CraigsList/eBay. If you're from the US, it's better to buy it in the US.

DaNcaKe

So I occasionally have a black horizontal line flicker across the screen and now just today I have noticed screen flicker on the lowest brightness setting for the first time (especially horrible on white backgrounds), have had the tablet for a week. Is this something that can be fixed by an OTA update or should I exchange it through Google? I'm within that trade in period if its only been a week, correct?

I've had mine since Friday and I've noticed the black line across the screen once. No idea whether its fixable through an update or not.

VoxPop

Girlfriend just bought for me out of the blue. Pretty nice device. I'm digging the 7" form factor after being on my iPad 3 for the past month or two.

Any tablet centric advice? Or should I just treat it like a bastard child of my Galaxy Nexus?

One thing I was thinking of doing was getting some magazine subs as they are only about 1.50-2.00/month each. Are there any magazine apps i should prefer over the other? Like Zinio? Or should I just stick with the Google one.

Are these mags just scans or full on digital content?

antispin

So I just returned by 8GB for a 16GB. The new batch seems to have improvements across the board: the packaging is more forgiving, the screen is completely flush with the device, and the buttons (esp the power one) feels more clicky.

adroit

I think it only affects the 16GB models because they use different memory controllers.
If it turns out to be an unfixable problem, stand by for class-action lawsuit. Nexus 16GB owners will get $0.97 of Google Play store credit (not enough to buy a song) and lawyers will get millions.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
got a new case
eyzSpl.jpg

K6dKzl.jpg

BhbHSl.jpg

XFDEol.jpg

KMGfnl.jpg

bonus pic
YCWVJl.jpg

wish I can use this as my main phone device

and now those are not cargo pants there just regular pants with a decent size pocket

Is that a hard case? If so, got a link? Thinking of getting an N7 or iPod touch 5 and only want a hard case with whatever I decide.

VoxPop

Any way to make the homescreen transitions less laggy?

Put up a spotify, twitter, and magazine widget and now its stuttering

VoxPop

developer options

change all tranistions to off

turn on GPU rendering

Did those things and restarted it and it seems to be a little better =)

Thanks!

Love this thing so far. The size and build is great. I think Android is far better suited for tablets than phones as I hate my GNex. If the specs were a little higher, slightly higher res screen and had the Apple App Store, I would drop my iPad in a heartbeat.

My setup so far

Top Bottom