• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Looks like a standard picture frame stand, check the frame aisle at target.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

KamenSenshi

Any bluetooth controller options for non-rooted devices?

I just might have to root.
GameStop Android controller is good. Triggers and shoulder buttons are not quite where I'd like them, but otherwise its fine. Played through Shadowgun, Sonic, and some racing games with it.

nib95

Banned
Used this earlier and whilst it was nice, I felt the screen wasn't actually large enough to really make a stark difference from my S3 and add to that, the borders on this thing are far too large. So much wasted space. They should really be less than half of what they actually are. Could easily get a much bigger screen on this thing without even increasing the overall size.

Threi

notag
I received the Poetic Slimline Portfolio case today. Functions similar to the iPad smart cover, on/off by opening/closing the cover and works as a stand. Not sure if the outer covering is leather or not, but it does smell like one. Love it for $20 from Amazon.

x5mOk.jpg
This the case I originally wanted before buying one on ebay, but its only available on amazon.com, with no shipping to Canada :/

Vyer

Get thumb keyboard and don't look back

Hmm thank you sir I shall investigate. I tried swift key but how the space bar worked kept throwing me off and for some reason when I tried to delete sometimes I'd get a big ass string of letters. Couldn't adjust.

Edit: why does a keyboard need to read my contacts

that really scuffs my chamfer

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hmm thank you sir I shall investigate. I tried swift key but how the space bar worked kept throwing me off and for some reason when I tried to delete sometimes I'd get a big ass string of letters. Couldn't adjust.

I suspect it's because thumb keyboard has shortcut buttons that might need to access your contacts? I dunno, most of the third party keyboards seem to have weird permission requirements.

kehs

Banned

Auto completion for name fields.

Vyer

Ah, thanks coco

Did those things and restarted it and it seems to be a little better =)

Thanks!

Love this thing so far. The size and build is great. I think Android is far better suited for tablets than phones as I hate my GNex. If the specs were a little higher, slightly higher res screen and had the Apple App Store, I would drop my iPad in a heartbeat.

My setup so far

What newsreader is that?

I've been on the fence of picking one of these up for a while now. My only question is how do you deal with the lack of storage space on the device?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've been on the fence of picking one of these up for a while now. My only question is how do you deal with the lack of storage space on the device?

I don't have one yet but I've done some reading and some folks just use cloud storage, but there's also a cheap cable you can buy that allows you to use a thumb drive.

I'm sure an n7 owner can clarify. I sure hope to get one soon.

midonnay

its really a non-issue

any big files like movies you can stream off wifi or hook up a hard drive using an OTG cable.

people have complained about lag if there is less than a few gigs free though.

Horseticuffs

I'm not gonna be able to pick up my nexus until two weeks from now but I went ahead and ordered an OTG cable and a poetic hardback case.

With the OTG cable I can use a certain app to add a thumb drive as storage, right?

Edit: Did some research, there's some kind of "Root Toolkit" I need to use that has a graphical interface which supposedly makes it super easy to root the nexus.

All the info I find is from months ago, is it still necessary to Root the device to use external storage?

womp

I'm not gonna be able to pick up my nexus until two weeks from now but I went ahead and ordered an OTG cable and a poetic hardback case.

With the OTG cable I can use a certain app to add a thumb drive as storage, right?

Edit: Did some research, there's some kind of "Root Toolkit" I need to use that has a graphical interface which supposedly makes it super easy to root the nexus.

All the info I find is from months ago, is it still necessary to Root the device to use external storage?

With root you can read and write to a thumb drive or SD card/MicroSD card of your choice via any file manager app and the stick mount app found here...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount

Without root you can only read the data and have to use a particular paid app to view the files.

Use this to root and unlock your Nexus 7...well worth it and will only benefit what you can get out of it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

In the post above this I have my Transformer 101's 32GB MicroSD card plugged into the OTG cable to stream some MAME goodness off of.

Horseticuffs

With root you can read and write to a thumb drive or SD card/MicroSD card of your choice via any file manager app and the stick mount app found here...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount

Without root you can only read the data and have to use a particular paid app to view the files.

Use this to root and unlock your Nexus 7...well worth it and will only benefit what you can get out of it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

In the post above this I have my Transformer 101's 32GB MicroSD card plugged into the OTG cable to stream some MAME goodness off of.

Thanks for all the info! I had a pretty negative experience with jailbreaking my iPod do I'm a bit scared to be messing with stuff. I've heard that some rooting programs are 1-click so at least that's something.

One of the scary things about Android compared to ios is all the nerdy stuff like that. I mean, I'm a nerd who loves tech but it's just kinda scary to learn all this new stuff with a new OS.

LIke I said, thanks for the info, and for the pic of that arcade game. One of the things that made me want a Nexus was all the emulators and being able to use a controller with it.

womp

Thanks for all the info! I had a pretty negative experience with jailbreaking my iPod do I'm a bit scared to be messing with stuff. I've heard that some rooting programs are 1-click so at least that's something.

One of the scary things about Android compared to ios is all the nerdy stuff like that. I mean, I'm a nerd who loves tech but it's just kinda scary to learn all this new stuff with a new OS.

LIke I said, thanks for the info, and for the pic of that arcade game. One of the things that made me want a Nexus was all the emulators and being able to use a controller with it.

Jailbreaking is nothing like rooting since it isn't necessarily hacking, just unlocking administrative rights more or less. It is a 5 min process and there is zero reason not to do it, especially on a Nexus device which makes it borderline required. :)

It really opens up some options in terms of functionality. Just take your time, follow along with that toolkit and you'll be done in seconds - word of warning though, rooting and unlocking will wipe the device back to stock out of the box fresh. Back up your pics or files etc that you may need before hand.

Horseticuffs

Jailbreaking is nothing like rooting since it isn't necessarily hacking, just unlocking administrative rights more or less. It is a 5 min process and there is zero reason not to do it, especially on a Nexus device which makes it borderline required. :)

It really opens up some options in terms of functionality. Just take your time, follow along with that toolkit and you'll be done in seconds - word of warning though, rooting and unlocking will wipe the device back to stock out of the box fresh. Back up your pics or files etc that you may need before hand.

So, you would recommend that rooting be the first thing I do out of the box besides getting introduced to the UI?

womp

So, you would recommend that rooting be the first thing I do out of the box besides getting introduced to the UI?

You can load it up, sign in, get your free Nexus credit and mess around a little if you like. But before restoring/installing apps or going hog wild with it? Yes, unlock and root it. Don't want to get too invested in setting things up since you'll just be wiping it again when you do the process.

It isn't a big deal, once it is done, its done. You won't believe how fast and easy it is, especially with that toolkit.

Horseticuffs

My best bud in the world wrote up a great Nexus 7 starter guide for anyone who may be interested in checking it out...

http://www.reviewlagoon.com/?p=723

He put a ton of work into it.

Nice! I'm giving it a look right now.

One of the things that helped me decide on a Nexus 7 over a new iPod touch was the inclusion of a GPS chip. It may seem like a silly feature to care about, but I'm a beginner runner and I love my running apps.

I use a ton of Nike+ Running and Zombies, Run! And they are both neutered experiences on an iPod because of the lack of gps. I expect I'll be able to fit my Nexus in a pocket and I can just use any old Bluetooth headphones or headset for music and podcasts, right?

That was such a buzz kill when I bought a Bluetooth earpiece for my iPod and I learned that Apple won't let you listen to music with just an ear piece. Sure, it isn't ideal compared to full-on earphones, but who the hell are they to say I can't?

Anyways, thanks for the link! I'll go finish it.

_Isaac

Nice! I'm giving it a look right now.

One of the things that helped me decide on a Nexus 7 over a new iPod touch was the inclusion of a GPS chip. It may seem like a silly feature to care about, but I'm a beginner runner and I love my running apps.

I use a ton of Nike+ Running and Zombies, Run! And they are both neutered experiences on an iPod because of the lack of gps. I expect I'll be able to fit my Nexus in a pocket and I can just use any old Bluetooth headphones or headset for music and podcasts, right?

That was such a buzz kill when I bought a Bluetooth earpiece for my iPod and I learned that Apple won't let you listen to music with just an ear piece. Sure, it isn't ideal compared to full-on earphones, but who the hell are they to say I can't?

Anyways, thanks for the link! I'll go finish it.

The Nexus 7 seems like an awfully big device to put into your running shorts. You don't have a phone that can accomplish the same thing?

Horseticuffs

LOL, yeah...you won't be putting the Nexus 7 in any pockets...Unless it is a fanny pack or murse. :)

Well, admittedly I haven't seen one in the wild, but mostly I have cargo shorts with rather large pockets. If I'm using a Bluetooth headset I can just button the pocket and it won't even be an issue, I'd imagine.

Like I said, I haven't seen one in the wild, but I've had my daughrer's Kindle Touch in my cargo pocket pretty comfortably before. I believe that's roughly 7 inches.

womp

Well, admittedly I haven't seen one in the wild, but mostly I have cargo shorts with rather large pockets. If I'm using a Bluetooth headset I can just button the pocket and it won't even be an issue, I'd imagine.

Like I said, I haven't seen one in the wild, but I've had my daughrer's Kindle Touch in my cargo pocket pretty comfortably before. I believe that's roughly 7 inches.

Hahahah maybe a bit taller...would be close I guess.

Damn, I ordered that 85 cent cable on the 7th, I just checked the order and estimated delivery is now between Oct 3rd and 22nd. Guess I can't complain for that price.

vdlow

So, finally, I'll get my Nexus 7 in 2 weeks. I was thinking and reading about the device, and I read that there's a minor update available. (from 4.1 to 4.1.1) When I get my Nexus 7, should I update and then root it, or first root and then update it?

LogicStep

So if you had the choice of this and an iPad 3 for $250 what would be the best investment? I'm guessing the iPad. A friend is selling me his for that price.

Emily Chu

Banned
Definitely the ipad.

But I would flip the ipad for profit. -_-

if it was one of those 64GB 4G ipad3's

I would trade the money I get from it to get a windows 8 Surface Pro

pricey but above and beyond what an ipad can offer and slightly more what even the nexus 7 offers obviously

in the future if there is a 7"-8.9 device that lets me dual boot Android X.X and Windows 8 pro and up one that runs EXE file.s

that would be a god send and just plain awesome.

something with a 8.9 inch screen but the exact same form factor as a Nexus 7 with less bezel and more screen

Top Bottom