• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Schlep

I think it depends on the environment you want to be in. Personally I prefer Android to iOS, however there are pros and cons to each. If you think you're going to be gaming a lot on it, then I would go with iOS. Android has been picking up in that department, no question, but it's still no contest. That said, you could always wait until Apple announces/releases the 7" iPad. Sounds like it's imminent.

womp

I think it depends on the environment you want to be in. Personally I prefer Android to iOS, however there are pros and cons to each. If you think you're going to be gaming a lot on it, then I would go with iOS. Android has been picking up in that department, no question, but it's still no contest. That said, you could always wait until Apple announces/releases the 7" iPad. Sounds like it's imminent.

Depends on the 'gaming'. The extensive emulation available on Android trumps the mobile gaming on the Apple App store or even Google Play. :)

CaLe

Argh, installed Paranoid and now I'm stuck at the booting screen.. I only see the boot animation and it's stuck there.

Has this happened to anyone ? How do I restore the rom to the official one ?

womp

I don't see the point of Paranoid Android anymore. If you want the 'Tablet' look, simply go into the build.prop file with an editor and change the DPI and reboot. Same effect, no ROM needed and easily switched back to stock. You get the old tablet YouTube and everything found on a 10 tablet like the Transformer or Xoom without doing anything drastic.

Build Prop Editor
Android share drive or $.99 at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.buildpropeditor

For DPI changes ..
CHANGE ro.sf.lcd_density TO 160 (change to 213 to revert)

Much easier than dealing with a ROM, stable, and can be switched easily with a simple edit and reboot.

Emily Chu

Banned
I don't see the point of Paranoid Android anymore. If you want the 'Tablet' look, simply go into the build.prop file with an editor and change the DPI and reboot. Same effect, no ROM needed and easily switched back to stock. You get the old tablet YouTube and everything found on a 10 tablet like the Transformer or Xoom without doing anything drastic.

Build Prop Editor
Android share drive or $.99 at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.buildpropeditor

For DPI changes ..
CHANGE ro.sf.lcd_density TO 160 (change to 213 to revert)

Much easier than dealing with a ROM, stable, and can be switched easily with a simple edit and reboot.

I just use it because it has per app to app customization for UI changes

Schlep

Depends on the 'gaming'. The extensive emulation available on Android trumps the mobile gaming on the Apple App store or even Google Play. :)
Very true. I'm very excited for the Nyko controller coming out in a couple weeks for just that reason. The form factor looks better than the Gamestop one, and I like the sound of their compatibility software.

Mordeccai

What music control widget is this?

Thats the Spotify widget.

lol, most of my memory on my 8gb unit is taken up by spotify. I have literally saved 20 playlists for offline use on this thing. Spotify is awesome. I take my N7 all around campus everyday and while wifi is literally everywhere on campus, walking around it switches networks so I just use the offline feature.

Cant wait for my OTG cable to come in the mail. Have at least another week to wait :[ what would people recommend for storage, SD card?

CaLe said:
Nandroid.. ? Where is that ?

Today you have learned a great lesson my friend, always make a nandroid backup. Its pretty easy. If you used the one click tool kit to root, it flashed CWM to your device (I believe). Just navigate to Backup/Restore in the recovery and backup your device. I tend to do it everytime before I flash a new rom. Its a little excessive, especially if you have the one from your stock unit, but better safe than sorry.

womp

Very true. I'm very excited for the Nyko controller coming out in a couple weeks for just that reason. The form factor looks better than the Gamestop one, and I like the sound of their compatibility software.

Yeah, looking forward to seeing how that thing pans out too...

In the meantime I've been using the Wiimote/classic controller combo for the past couple years. heh

zbeeb

My screen sensitivity has gone nuts. Launch nexus 7 with no issues at all till now. Sometimes a restart Or screen off/on Fixes it.

Anyone had this issue? I assume its gonna have to be RMA'd...

This forum is busy and it bums me out because I picked up the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and there isn't as much of a community for it. I couldn't go with the Nexus 7 because I have a Galaxy S and the nexus 7 wasn't enough of a jump in size. The Tab 2 is awesome though.

Schlep

This forum is busy and it bums me out because I picked up the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and there isn't as much of a community for it. I couldn't go with the Nexus 7 because I have a Galaxy S and the nexus 7 wasn't enough of a jump in size. The Tab 2 is awesome though.
I have the Galaxy Nexus and the N7 is the perfect size to me. I say that after owning the original iPad and the original Transformer. It's honestly amazing for GAF lol.

midonnay

I'm not gonna be able to pick up my nexus until two weeks from now but I went ahead and ordered an OTG cable and a poetic hardback case.

With the OTG cable I can use a certain app to add a thumb drive as storage, right?

Edit: Did some research, there's some kind of "Root Toolkit" I need to use that has a graphical interface which supposedly makes it super easy to root the nexus.

All the info I find is from months ago, is it still necessary to Root the device to use external storage?

you don't need to root....

there is an app you can buy called Nexus media importer which should work about the same.

supports NTFS and FAT32 hard drives/flash sticks.

midonnay

Once again, you can only READ data with that. Read and write *will* require root. If you just want to read you'll be fine though.

true....but the author is working on write too so it isn't a foregone situation.

apparently he's scared of wiping ppl's data so he's pussyfooting it...

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Once again, you can only READ data with that. Read and write *will* require root. If you just want to read you'll be fine though.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I'm mostly just looking for a way to store a ton of music. I almost always have all my cables and chargers with me so it wouldn't be a thing to carry another cable and a USB with me.

Maybe there's even some way I can attach it to the case I ordered or something. So many possibilities. I can't wait to grab my N7.

Smidget

Parents looking for a tablet and would like to keep it as cheap as possible... at first I was looking at the Ainol Aurora II or Elf II, but they're less "let's keep tweaking it" type people and just want it to work on the first try which looks great for the Nexus 7.

Does this pretty much run any game or app perfectly at this point in time? And since it's Google, I'm assuming it has amazing support?

Any reason to skip buying it right now and wait for a new revision in the very near future? Or maybe black friday?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does this pretty much run any game or app perfectly at this point in time?

Yeah. 99% of them will run, but most Android apps haven't been "optimized" for tablets. The list is growing however, and since the Nexus 7 is closer in size to phones than most tablets, even the "phone UI" apps don't look so bad.

And since it's Google, I'm assuming it has amazing support?

As good as it gets, I haven't really seen many complaints in this thread. :p

Any reason to skip buying it right now and wait for a new revision in the very near future?

Nah. The 8GB version is still out of stock on Google Play, they're going to be selling this at least until the next Google I/O next June. And really, there's not much a revision could improve on. Maybe more storage space, but I'm expecting a larger "complimentary" model before a full revision.

Or maybe black friday?

I don't think Google "does" Black Friday, but who knows. Retailers may also discount it. It's your choice.

womp

Parents looking for a tablet and would like to keep it as cheap as possible... at first I was looking at the Ainol Aurora II or Elf II, but they're less "let's keep tweaking it" type people and just want it to work on the first try which looks great for the Nexus 7.

Does this pretty much run any game or app perfectly at this point in time? And since it's Google, I'm assuming it has amazing support?

Any reason to skip buying it right now and wait for a new revision in the very near future? Or maybe black friday?

Check into the Nabi 2...

http://www.nabitablet.com/

Was considering one for my five year old son but I may just get him a Kindle Fire since I already have so much invested in Amazon.

He basically plays around with the iPad at the moment (And has for 2 years now) but the thing is too big and heavy and he enjoys the kids books etc.

I'm looking to pick this up today. I'm glad it has a healthy community. I'm sure there will be a lot of good information for me to read in here.

JonnyBrad

Nah. The 8GB version is still out of stock on Google Play, they're going to be selling this at least until the next Google I/O next June. And really, there's not much a revision could improve on. Maybe more storage space, but I'm expecting a larger "complimentary" model before a full revision.

Screen viewing angles could be improved imo. Other than that i love it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Things I want in the next Nexus tab:

- Rumble
- 64 GB option
- Higher res?
- 3G/4G option

I think then it would probably be perfect. A 10" version might be cool too if it doesn't cost that much.

How is the quality now that its been out for few months? I bought one back in august and it had ghosting I dont really want to have to deal with anymore defects

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's beyond easy to jailbreak. It's not nearly as much of a process as something like rooting. You download a piece of software off a site and thats basically it.

It's the same for rooting. There's toolkits that make it basically foolproof.

womp

It's beyond easy to jailbreak. It's not nearly as much of a process as something like rooting. You download a piece of software off a site and thats basically it.

I know, every iOS device I have had or owned is/was jailbroken. Problem is a lot of people do not want to do it for various reasons.

And rooting isn't a process, pressing a couple of buttons and rebooting isn't a 'process', especially on a Nexus device.

Rooting isn't necessary to run emulators on an Android device and the best ones available are in the Play store to boot.

womp

Sorry that 2 minutes of your time is too much to spare.

Sorry if people who use their iPhones primarily for their job aren't allowed to jailbreak and ruin the warranty of their devices.

Sorry if that '2 minutes' isn't even necessary on the Nexus 7 or any Android device to begin with to play them.

VoxPop

I know, every iOS device I have had or owned is/was jailbroken. Problem is a lot of people do not want to do it for various reasons.

And rooting isn't a process, pressing a couple of buttons and rebooting isn't a 'process', especially on a Nexus device.

Rooting isn't necessary to run emulators on an Android device and the best ones available are in the Play store to boot.

The unlocking bootloader/rooting process is different on nearly every device. It's not as hard as the other guy claimed but it isn't any easier than jailbreaking which was his point. Unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty just like jailbreaking does. Both of which are easily reversible. People root their devices to get super access over their phones much like jailbreaking provides. What's the big deal? The iPhone becomes infinitely better with jb.

womp

The unlocking bootloader/rooting process is different on nearly every device. It's not as hard as the other guy claimed but it isn't any easier than jailbreaking which was his point. Unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty just like jailbreaking does. Both of which are easily reversible. People root their devices to get super access over their phones much like jailbreaking provides. What's the big deal? The iPhone becomes infinitely better with jb.

But we aren't in a thread about different devices...It's a Nexus 7 thread. I think most of us know what rooting and jailbreaking are at this point...

Not only did I include *both* the Play and App store in my statement, it was more of a slight against the abomination that is the state of mobile gaming as a whole vs the existence of emulation.

And considering you are using your Nexus as a drink coaster in the other thread... What did you do? Google search 'Nexus neogaf' tonight?

Djamb3

Just arrived

Fits perfectly. Adding to the already bought Clarivue screen protector I hope is now fully protected without any added bulk

VoxPop

But we aren't in a thread about different devices...It's a Nexus 7 thread. I think most of us know what rooting and jailbreaking are at this point...

Not only did I include *both* the Play and App store in my statement, it was more of a slight against the abomination that is the state of mobile gaming as a whole vs the existence of emulation.

And considering you are using your Nexus as a drink coaster in the other thread... What did you do? Google search 'Nexus neogaf' tonight?

Fact is emulators exist in iOS jailbroken or not. Android doesn't have custom roms without rooting but do you hear people whining about it?

Mobile gaming is actually pretty damn good aside from the touch controls if not the best its ever been.

Yep I use my Galaxy Nexus as a coaster because its a shitty phone. I'm enjoying my Nexus 7 wholeheartedly though.

womp

Fact is emulators exist in iOS jailbroken or not. Android doesn't have custom roms without rooting but do you hear people whining about it?

Mobile gaming is actually pretty damn good aside from the touch controls if not the best its ever been.

Yep I use my Galaxy Nexus as a coaster because its a shitty phone. I'm enjoying my Nexus 7 wholeheartedly though.

Until the scourge of sneaky ass IAP goes away, mobile gaming has gotten worse and won't get better, especially paid apps that nickel and dime you for smurfberries...hence the Dead Trigger debacle which is numero uno on the shit list.

also, this reminds me, is there an app to use a DualShock 3 as a controller on iOS?

i tried searching and i kept getting Android results and spam pages...

URL for iPhone 5 jailbreak.

It's the same for rooting. There's toolkits that make it basically foolproof.
except you don't need to root.

but this is the Nexus 7 thread...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VoxPop is trolling the Android threads pretty hard. Kind of getting annoying.

On that note, I thought my N7 was really great for comics, but man, it is perfect for manga!

12+-+1

(photo has been Path-ified)

womp

VoxPop is trolling the Android threads pretty hard. Kind of getting annoying.

On that note, I thought my N7 was really great for comics, but man, it is perfect for manga!

Yeah, coming from my Transformer 101 I was actually pretty shocked how good comics and magazines crossed over to the 7 and the screen size. No issues at all so far and much more functional as well.

Top Bottom