• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there any tweak available that lets you skip to the tops of internet pages?

womp

Is there any tweak available that lets you skip to the tops of internet pages?

Not offhand but Boat Browser has it built in to where as you scroll up or down on a web site arrow buttons will appear that allow you to zap to the top or bottom of a page.

It's a great 'secondary' browser with Flash support and is free.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'd love to be able to, say, double tap the Chrome tab I'm on and it zooms to the top. That would be hackable, maybe?

Medalion

Banned
Convinced my dad to finally buy one of these, and I had a try at at it this past sunday

It was quite nice, I was almost jealous despite having an iPad 3

My first exposure to Android OS

My dad is already figuring things out fast, at least way better than on his netbook

It's a match made I say

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Fact is emulators exist in iOS jailbroken or not. Android doesn't have custom roms without rooting but do you hear people whining about it?

Mobile gaming is actually pretty damn good aside from the touch controls if not the best its ever been.

Yep I use my Galaxy Nexus as a coaster because its a shitty phone. I'm enjoying my Nexus 7 wholeheartedly though.

Would you be willing to sell that coaster?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
My poetic hardback case just came in, and this is the first time I'm getting to see the real size of the Nexus in person.

It's a nice size, and I really can't wait to order mine next time I get paid. It's like the perfect size for movies and I can't wait to get some games rolling in it.

Has it been confirmed that the google play credit ends on Septermber 30?

womp

My poetic hardback case just came in, and this is the first time I'm getting to see the real size of the Nexus in person.

It's a nice size, and I really can't wait to order mine next time I get paid. It's like the perfect size for movies and I can't wait to get some games rolling in it.

Has it been confirmed that the google play credit ends on Septermber 30?

Yes, it is straight from Google themselves.

Been monitoring this thread closely, and I think i'm gonna take the plunge with the Nexus 7

Probably will pick one up at Staples, how do I know if it's the newer version that seems to fix a lot of the hardware issues?

sca2511

My Poetic slim third revision case came in last week. Can finally fold all the way back and has stronger magnets to keep the lid closed. Though the second revision seemed fine and all I wanted was to fold the flap all the way back. The other issues I didn't even know about until they sent out the email about it.

gcubed

Fact is emulators exist in iOS jailbroken or not. Android doesn't have custom roms without rooting but do you hear people whining about it?

Mobile gaming is actually pretty damn good aside from the touch controls if not the best its ever been.

Yep I use my Galaxy Nexus as a coaster because its a shitty phone. I'm enjoying my Nexus 7 wholeheartedly though.

why are you here? No one responded to your bitching in the other android threads so you needed some gratification?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You're quite clearly trolling and should feel lucky no mod saw your "GN is only good as a coaster" comment.

3phemeral

I thought you got the 25 dollar credit for each nexus 7 you buy? Is that not true?

You do, but there's a deadline. Plus, it seems you have to add a credit card not already linked to your Play Store.

Although, I tried that $25 Credit after I bought my mom her N7 (I had already linked her to the $25 Gift Card), but they had already fixed that loophole by that time.

Unless you're referring to buying more than just one and trying to get credit for each Nexus on the same account?

I'd gather it's credit per account, regardless of how many N7s you buy.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You do, but there's a deadline. Plus, it seems you have to add a credit card not already linked to your Play Store.

Although, I tried that $25 Credit after I bought my mom her N7 (I had already linked her to the $25 Gift Card), but they had already fixed that loophole by that time.

Unless you're referring to buying more than just one and trying to get credit for each Nexus on the same account?

Ah, lame. Thanks

So using the toolkit to root, I followed the prompts and began to install pdanet stuff when I was supposed to cancel it (should've been made clear in the beginning). Does it matter if I have the pdanet network driver installed too? Now when I go through the process from the beginning there's no option to not install it...

Sora_N

I set up my gf's Nexus with her cc and got her credit, then I added my gmail to the N7 and entered my CC as well. I didn't get the credit, is it supposed to not work like that?

Also you don't have to USE all the credit by Sept 30 right? It's there until we use it all?

womp

So using the toolkit to root, I followed the prompts and began to install pdanet stuff when I was supposed to cancel it (should've been made clear in the beginning). Does it matter if I have the pdanet network driver installed too? Now when I go through the process from the beginning there's no option to not install it...

PDAnet? PDAnet has nothing to do with rooting the Nexus 7. Isn't that a tethering program?

3phemeral

I set up my gf's Nexus with her cc and got her credit, then I added my gmail to the N7 and entered my CC as well. I didn't get the credit, is it supposed to not work like that?
You used to be able to get multiple accounts linked to the credit, but they apparently fixed that after the first week to only allow the primary account to receive credit when the device is set up.

When I set up my own account with the N7, I got the prompt to add my credit card to receive, but it wouldn't accept any card that was already attached to the Play Store (I couldn't use my primary CC because I used that for my mom's account to receive the credit, so I had to use a different one). I already had another CC linked to my own account, so I had to use a 3rd CC to attempt the $25 credit trick.

When I finally finished, it appeared as though like I got it, as it said I would receive an email indicating my credit was added, but I never got that email, so I never got the credit.

Also you don't have to USE all the credit by Sept 30 right? It's there until we use it all?
I'm sure the deadline is for how long you have to purchase an N7 be considered eligible for the credit.

iirc, adding a second account never gave it credit, you had to FACTORY RESET and then add as the pirmary to spread the credits around.

Absolutely not. The promotion is to get $25 credit when you purchase a new Nexus 7, and that ends Sept 30th.

you have to sign in by that date.

Mairu

I still haven't used my $25 Google Play credit, but I haven't been using my Nexus 7 that much. I guess I don't really have much need for a tablet but I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I'm traveling.

It does make a great alarm clock though!

PDAnet? PDAnet has nothing to do with rooting the Nexus 7. Isn't that a tethering program?

It comes up during the driver installation part. You're supposed to let it install, but then cancel it or disallow it, and it leaves the USB driver while not installing the other stuff, apparently. I just continued on and it rooted fine.

Medalion

Banned
My dad is still asking me questions about the tablet

I still have to teach him how to connect to WIFI on it which isn't readily apparent

womp

My dad is still asking me questions about the tablet

I still have to teach him how to connect to WIFI on it which isn't readily apparent

Just put a power control widget on the home screen. One tap access to WiFi, bluetooth, GPS...Couldn't be easier.

Go into the app tray, tap on widgets, drag it up to the home screen.

Staples, Walmart, and Office Depot I believe.

hhGregg too

But not Best Buy....hahaha

As I have more money than sense at the moment, I'm thinking of picking this up. The 7 inch screen is the only thing making me reluctant, and as Samsung are doing some £50 cashback deal right now I'm tempted to go with the Tab 2 10.1 instead.

Is there a general opinion on which tablet is better?

Sora_N

Angry Birds Space, if you haven't played it, is a very nice improvement over the original formula. I got rather hooked on it.

Office Suite Pro is good, too.

What's the difference between AB paid and free? Ads?

Also yeah I was thinking of Office, Tasks, and that RPG game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Tried buying in safari on my iPod since I don't have an N7 just yet, but seems I'll have to wait till I get home to my PC.

Runtastic Pro will be mine, as will Granny Smith.

Top Bottom