• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

renitou

I received a used Nexus 7 bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals today. It seems that whoever had it before me botched something, as I cannot get past the initial boot screens (white Google logo, Nexus logo). I was able to access the bootloader mode, and the info near the bottom of the screen shows the following:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - grouper
HW VERSION - ER3
BOOTLOADER VERSION - 3.34
BASEBAND VERSION - N/A
SERIAL NUMBER - [...]
SIGNING - not defined yet
LOCK STATE - LOCKED

I've never learned how to root or unlock a device before, but before I start looking into that, I'd be indebted if anyone here can let me know if such a fix is possible since the lock state is marked as "locked"? If the bootloader is not unlocked, how will I reinstall the original firmware correctly?

I attempted to use the "Recovery" option already, but that just brought up the white Google logo and then the screen cuts to black and goes nowhere.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help me. The physical device seems great - no creaks or screen lift, and very little backlight bleed. It'd be a shame to have to return this if I can just figure out how to undo whatever the previous owner messed up.

Dicer

Banned
I received a used Nexus 7 bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals today. It seems that whoever had it before me botched something, as I cannot get past the initial boot screens (white Google logo, Nexus logo). I was able to access the bootloader mode, and the info near the bottom of the screen shows the following:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - grouper
HW VERSION - ER3
BASEBAND VERSION - N/A
SERIAL NUMBER - [...]
LOCK STATE - LOCKED

I've never learned how to root or unlock a device before, but before I start looking into that, I'd be indebted if anyone here can let me know if such a fix is possible since the lock state is marked as "locked"? If the bootloader is not unlocked, how will I reinstall the original firmware correctly?

I attempted to use the "Recovery" option already, but that just brought up the white Google logo and then the screen cuts to black and goes nowhere.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help me. The physical device seems great - no creaks or screen lift, and very little backlight bleed. It'd be a shame to have to return this if I can just figure out how to undo whatever the previous owner messed up.

Check here

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/extremely-awesome-google-nexus-7-all-in-one-toolkit/

renitou

Problem I'm running into is that I can't put the tablet into the correct mode to be recognized by that program. The only part of the tablet I can access in the fastboot or bootloader menu (not sure of the correct term...), so when I attempted to connect the device up to my computer to use the program, it just got hung up on attempting to find my device. All the instructions talk about putting the tablet into USB mode and such, but I can't actually get into the OS to change any settings.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, wether I try to buy on my iPod's browser or my pc browser it keeps talking about some dumb little white shopping bag.

I just want to buy shit and download it later but I don't see a damn little white shopping bag.

Do I need to be using chrome?

Edit: Hold the damn phone. Just found a support page that said you can't buy from a pc. Surely this can't be true, can it? Im just misunderstanding something here, right?

That would be ridiculous :/

DXPett1

Guys, wether I try to buy on my iPod's browser or my pc browser it keeps talking about some dumb little white shopping bag.

I just want to buy shit and download it later but I don't see a damn little white shopping bag.

Do I need to be using chrome?

Edit: Hold the damn phone. Just found a support page that said you can't buy from a pc. Surely this can't be true, can it? Im just misunderstanding something here, right?

That would be ridiculous :/

Correct. I buy shit on the Play Store all the time on the PC. You have to have a (at least one) Android device tied to your Google account before you can start buying things

Horseticuffs

Correct. I buy shit on the Play Store all the time on the PC. You have to have a (at least one) Android device tied to your Google account before you can start buying things

Argh! Thanks! I had my ex wife's old shitty Wildfire S there but I removed it's listing.

Hmmm...

GavinGT

Banned

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - grouper
HW VERSION - ER3
BASEBAND VERSION - N/A
SERIAL NUMBER - [...]
LOCK STATE - LOCKED

EDIT: NM, I see someone on XDA-Developers is walking you through it. They'll do a better job than I could.

Argh! Thanks! I had my ex wife's old shitty Wildfire S there but I removed it's listing.

Stupid question - but can you walk me through how you did that? I never quite managed to do that, and over the course of four Android phones, have played with dozens of different ROMs - which registered as a new phone each time. Therefore, when I go to the Play Store, I have an annoyingly long list of phones to pick from.

vdlow

Stupid question - but can you walk me through how you did that? I never quite managed to do that, and over the course of four Android phones, have played with dozens of different ROMs - which registered as a new phone each time. Therefore, when I go to the Play Store, I have an annoyingly long list of phones to pick from.

I have the same doubt. I have only one phone, but it has 4 listings because of rom changes.

Reading rumours from several sources this morning that Google are poised to launch a $99 Nexus 7. They'd have to subsidise and lose money on every sale at that price, but would expect to profit from a massive take-up and (hopefully) increased Play revenue.

ektoll

Reading rumours from several sources this morning that Google are poised to launch a $99 Nexus 7. They'd have to subsidise and lose money on every sale at that price, but would expect to profit from a massive take-up and (hopefully) increased Play revenue.

That would be really awesome :D

Can you give your sources please?

That would be really awesome :D

Can you give your sources please?

I'll dig them out when I'm on lunch - I would also stress that they are rumours and asus seem to be doing their best to pour cold water on them. The $99 version would also likely be cut down further - 4GB storage and no GPS for example.

I'll dig out all the stuff I read on various android sites later... in the meantime, this is up on The Register:

Somewhere on the internet, someone has suggested that the pair have just such a plan in mind. The $199/£159 price point will be maintained for a higher spec model, goes the theory, while the pared-back entry-level model will go on sale for a hundred bucks.

Somewhere else on the internet, somebody has claimed Asus has rejected that rumour.

When the current incarnation of the current Nexus 7 was released, calculations based on a disassembly of the device and an examination of the bits it contains suggested that it was costing Google and Asus $159 (£93) to buy all the components and put them together. After taking out reseller margins, shipment, packaging, software development and everything else it takes to get the device into punters' hands, that doesn't leave a lot left over.

That goes double if Google dropped the price to $99. Reducing the storage capacity to 4GB would help, ditching GPS and maybe reducing the screen resolution too, but there's not a lot else to drop to reduce the bill of materials cost.

Not that Google needs to. It's not short of a bob or two, and could subsidise the hardware on the back of the money it hopes to make selling content through its Google Play shop to which the Nexus 7 is tightly tied.

It's often said that tablets and e-book from retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo and now Google are subsidised by content sale profits, but teardowns have thus far revealed that not to be the case, or at least the subsidy to be so small as to be negligible as the basis for a business model. If the rumour is correct, perhaps Google has at least decided to see if it can be

ektoll

I'll dig them out when I'm on lunch - I would also stress that they are rumours and asus seem to be doing their best to pour cold water on them. The $99 version would also likely be cut down further - 4GB storage and no GPS for example.

I'll dig out all the stuff I read on various android sites later... in the meantime, this is up on The Register:

It's interesting nonetheless... If that happens, I just hope that it won't be too much trimmed down, I mean, I can perfectly live without a GPS on a tablet, screen resolution, on the other hand...

It's interesting nonetheless... .

I agree, and I think it's actually quite likely, particularly in light of the imminent arrival of a 7 incher from Cuppertino. I just wanted to be absolutely clear that I was just reporting back on rumours I'd seen on various sites, in case the GAF police decided to appear and start calling me out.

deleted

I just got a Nexus7 as my first tablet :)

I want to add a neogaf mobile shortcut on my start screen, but I can' find the logo. I just get the html-shortcut logo, which looks out of place. On my cellphone it uses the square neogaf logo with rounded corners automatically. Any idea where I can find that? Google search doesn't bring up anything.

To clarify: I just want to replace the shown picture of the shortcut. The shortcut itself works fine.

JonnyBrad

I just got a Nexus7 as my first tablet :)

I want to add a neogaf mobile shortcut on my start screen, but I can' find the logo. I just get the html-shortcut logo, which looks out of place. On my cellphone it uses the square neogaf logo with rounded corners automatically. Any idea where I can find that? Google search doesn't bring up anything.

To clarify: I just want to replace the shown picture of the shortcut. The shortcut itself works fine.

Welcome to the world of bugs in android chrome http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=125076

One way around it. Root and install the stock browser and add it from there and it will use the touch icon.

They have at least acknowledged the bug. But given the usual speed of their bug fixes I would expect a fix around 2014.

Apologies if already posted:

I've been using an app for a couple of months that scans the entire play store and notifies you whenever it finds apps on a price drop.

You can set it to only notify on apps that have a certain rating or number of downloads, and it offers things like 60 day price charts so you can see what the app has cost recently.

I've pulled a bunch of bargains out of the store thanks to this app, and quite often there are price reductions that aren't really advertised (the 25 bil download promotion is a notable exception to this however).

Anyhow, for those who want their free play credit to go even further, give this a whirl:

Appsales

deleted

Welcome to the world of bugs in android chrome http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=125076

One way around it. Root and install the stock browser and add it from there and it will use the touch icon.

They have at least acknowledged the bug. But given the usual speed of their bug fixes I would expect a fix around 2014.

I don't want to root it right now, I'm quite satisfied with everything, except this issue.

I also installed the apex launcher and as part of the deal, the shortcut picture can now be changed. I just can't find the logo - the round one from the desktop version works, but now the shortcut has white borders around it. That doesn't look much better.

Is chrome even the best browser to use with the nexus, or should I try something different? Something that has an option to not show the tabs at all time e.g.

Is chrome even the best browser to use with the nexus, or should I try something different? Something that has an option to not show the tabs at all time e.g.

Before I flashed them with jellybean builds, I used Dolphin Browser on all my ICS flashed phones. However, with jellybean, I kind of like Chrome - it's slick, and it integrates with desktop Chrome well.

I guess if you're not satisfied with it, Dolphin would be a good place to start investigating the alternatives. I would avoid Opera and Firefox though. They are both bloaty messes.

JonnyBrad

I don't want to root it right now, I'm quite satisfied with everything, except this issue.

I also installed the apex launcher and as part of the deal, the shortcut picture can now be changed. I just can't find the logo - the round one from the desktop version works, but now the shortcut has white borders around it. That doesn't look much better.

Here you go. Straight from the source of the mobile site.

apple-touch-icon.png

Horseticuffs

Hmm, oh jeez. All I did was go to the little gear on the upper right corner, selected that to make my "settings" page zone up, and right there is a list of all your Android devices.

I selected the wildfire S and a bar popped up asking if I wanted it removed from listing.

I hope that's clear enough :/ I just sorta stumbled on it.

It's interesting nonetheless... If that happens, I just hope that it won't be too much trimmed down, I mean, I can perfectly live without a GPS on a tablet, screen resolution, on the other hand...

$99 Nexus 7 Rumoured

ZOMG a $99 Nexus tablet! It's just all so exciting! It's going to revolutionize the way we do ... things!

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, folks. First off, this $99 Nexus tablet is another one of those Digitimes supply chain rumors that's actually part of a two-fer. Two new tablets, slimmer than the current Nexus 7. Yes. A newer, slimmer device. If we had presses, we wouldn't stop them over that bit of design iteration.

BFIB

I'm thrilled with my Nexus 7. At this point, only a screen/spec bump is going to make me want to make a switch.

7" is the perfect size IMO.

Just bought one of these today. Everything seems to be working fine except that the battery doesn't charge past 98 percent.
I left it charging for ages but it still stays on 98 percent.

womp

Just bought one of these today. Everything seems to be working fine except that the battery doesn't charge past 98 percent.
I left it charging for ages but it still stays on 98 percent.

Yeah, my Galaxy Nexus and even my Transformer will do that as well...tops out at 96,98 or 100 on any given day. Use it a day or two and give it some more charging. I have not had it happen on my 7 yet however.

Ok, so I went back to walmart where I bought my Nexus 7 because my screen had a dead pixel on low right corner. Dumbass customer service was checking my Nexus 7 then she accidently DROPPED it. But they said they can't do a refund because it's damaged now. But that wasnt my fault! Manager told me that I couldn't do a refund because they can't accept a damaged electronic item for a return.

womp

Ok, so I went back to walmart where I bought my Nexus 7 because my screen had a dead pixel on low right corner. Dumbass customer service was checking my Nexus 7 then she accidently DROPPED it. But they said they can't do a refund because it's damaged now. But that wasnt my fault! Manager told me that I couldn't do a refund because they can't accept a damaged electronic item for a return.

Get them to pull the security tapes that obviously will show that the customer service girl was liable.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

What the fuck? That's asinine.

buhdeh

lmaooooo. oh walmart.

Mairu

Time to get the district/regional manager number? I would've been furious.

Yeah, my Galaxy Nexus and even my Transformer will do that as well...tops out at 96,98 or 100 on any given day. Use it a day or two and give it some more charging. I have not had it happen on my 7 yet however.

Oh okay thanks, I'm glad it's not a sign of anything wrong with it then.

You shouldn't have left, demand they refund you for breaking your device you purchased there right in front of you.
The one I talked to was actually a manager on duty. She told me the store manager wasn't available at that time so they told me to come back tomorrow.

vdlow

I asked this a few pages ago but I haven't had an answer, probably because it was the last post of the page and it was overlooked. Anyway, my Nexus is coming next week and I was planning to root it before anything else. But, I read that there's an update available (4.1.1). If I root, and then update it, will I lose the root? Or should I update it and then root?

Thanks =)

womp

I asked this a few pages ago but I haven't had an answer, probably because it was the last post of the page and it was overlooked. Anyway, my Nexus is coming next week and I was planning to root it before anything else. But, I read that there's an update available (4.1.1). If I root, and then update it, will I lose the root? Or should I update it and then root?

Thanks =)

Just update it and then root. Be aware though that unlocking and rooting will rewipe the device. So do the initial out of the box setup, log in, do the update...then commence with running the Nexus 7 Toolkit to unlock and root. Repeat, wash and rinse.

Then go into the Play store and download and install a free app called OTA Rootkeeper. This will save a backup of your root so that next time there is a OTA update you'll not have to go through the rooting process again and can instead restore root directly from said backup. It's easy as crap. :)

vdlow

Just update it and then root. Be aware thought that unlocking and rooting will rewipe the device. So do the initial out of the box setup, log in, do the update...then commence with running the Nexus 7 Toolkit to unlock and root. Repeat, wash and rinse.

Then go into the Play store and download and install a free app called OTA Rootkeeper. This will save a backup of your root so that next time there is a OTA update you'll not have to go through the rooting process again and can instead restore root directly from said backup. It's easy as crap. :)

Thank you man!

Dunlop

Thanks to a $50 rebate, the threat of the $25 google credit going away and a new tax on electronics in Quebec..I am guilt free and picked up a Nexus ; )

Once I apply the credit to my account it is safe or do I need to spend it before Oct 1?

Top Bottom