• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Tobor

I wonder how much Google is paying Asus per unit? It's being sold at cost, and Asus isn't a charity, so Google is obviously subsidizing every unit.

Cheebo

Banned
The whole at cost thing seems fishy to me. When asus unveiled the memo 370t it had the exact same specs except it also had a back camera, hdmi port, and a sd card slot. And they announced a price of 250 for the 16 gb unit! No way they were going to sell it at cost and the unit is the exact same price now except it has less extra parts. The cost claim doesn't add up.

I nearly (just nearly) ordered an 8GB model to replace my battery-drinking ICS Touchpad for my parents who will most likely never use it. It's a damn good price for what you're getting, although there should've been expandable storage.

Maiar_m

I think it mostly has to do with the availability of movies/tv/music/books on the Play Store. Which is connected to pyramid scheme of media houses. :p
Meh, that's a point indeed, but I don't think it's a veeery good point. I don't think it's harder to get the whole Play Store legal'd in Europe than it was in the States. There's some issues there I'm sure, but I also believe they just don't care that much. Plus they can't be bothered with the various languages (sometimes they just overdo it: I can't even rent a movie in its original language here with Play, I'll have to wacth Transfomers3 (eurk!) in French (eurk!)...).

What I mean is, if you plan on a global scale, you gove yourself the means to reach your ambitions. We know they could, if they really wanted to.

Yoshiya

I wonder how much Google is paying Asus per unit? It's being sold at cost, and Asus isn't a charity, so Google is obviously subsidizing every unit.

There's a sufficient degree of ambiguity in the term "at cost" to allow for it to refer to Google's cost to get the device to point of sale - I don't think a subsidy is implied. Asus is surely making something from this sizeable investment of design and manufacturing resources, which necessarily must have taken away from other efforts.

kehs

Banned

The whole at cost thing seems fishy to me. When asus unveiled the memo 370t it had the exact same specs except it also had a back camera, hdmi port, and a sd card slot. And they announced a price of 250 for the 16 gb unit! No way they were going to sell it at cost and the unit is the exact same price now except it has less extra parts. The cost claim doesn't add up.

The "cost" for Asus is very very different than that "cost" for Google.

Kindle's BOM was somewhere around $205 dollars, and it was much lower end components.

malyce

Even if it is sold "at cost" that "cost" will shrink with time as with all consumer electronics. Also, the extra 8GB of space in the 16GB model doesn't cost ASUS $50. I'm betting the 8GB model will only be sold in the Play Store, while only the 16GB will be sold at retail stores.

Fletcher

when will these be release? I want one to replace my old first gen iPad that's mainly used to read comic books. Will it be out in time for comic con (July 12th)?

_machine

Would've bought if it had microSD/SDHC/SDXC slot and available in Finland, but guess I'll have to wait for the Memo and see if it's as well priced as the N7. Somewhere around 250€ would probably be enough for me.

My Galaxy S+ got 8GB (around 6GB usable) and it's definitely too little for me even though I don't really use it for anything special, just some music and a couple of videos.

when will these be release? I want one to replace my old first gen iPad that's mainly used to read comic books. Will it be out in time for comic con (July 12th)?

Site says it ships in 2-3 weeks, which means it'll be a close call for Comic-Con. I wouldn't count on it arriving before then.

You can probably still sell your first Gen iPad for enough cash to cover the Nexus.

Ordered.

I couldn't wait. I love my Kindle but man it's underpowered. I just want a smooth browsing experience when I'm on the couch or in bed.

Fletcher

Site says it ships in 2-3 weeks, which means it'll be a close call for Comic-Con. I wouldn't count on it arriving before then.

You can probably still sell your first Gen iPad for enough cash to cover the Nexus.

I didn't even think about selling my ipad! Thanks for the idea, dude.

SimleuqiR

Seems like Matias had something to do with the design? Hyperbole?

xlarge.jpg

Matias Duarte Q&A: Jelly Bean, the Nexus 7, and the Wild, Weird World of Android

Yeah, one of the things that I spend time evangelizing is the kind of thinking and effort that went into Nexus 7, the design that went into this product. It's not just about making an affordable tablet for Google; I think it's a really interesting class of tablet that people have sort of overlooked. This product was really born out of my frustration with the idea that tablets were done. Everybody thought, "Okay, we've made ten-inch tablets, and they are the answer to media consumption and entertainment, and we're done." And I thought that couldn't possibly be right, because they're not the answer to two types of entertainment that are really important to me: books and games.

When I read a book, I wanna be able to have a cup of coffe. I wanna be able to hold onto the strap in a bus, right? So one-handed usage is really important. You can't do that with a ten-inch tablet—it's ginormous. When I play a game I want something that's about the size of a portable gaming system. I don't want something huge, again, where I'm going to get tired out. The Nexus 7 tablet, you see, has very similar dimensions to a portable gaming system. So this is a class of tablet that suits particular uses cases that are really underserved. We wanted to show that you could build a tablet in that space and it could be, not a wishy-washy cut-rate tablet, or wanting to be a tablet, but a truly complete tablet experience at a size that changes how you interact with it.

Everything about this design is optimized for that size. The curve of this device has been very carefully crafted. Yes it's rounded on the back but it's not sharp on the front. We have this crisp chamfer around there that effectively rounds off the device so it's very comfortable to hold one handed. We've given it these asymmetrical bezels here on the sides, so that when you're holding it in landscape you have more grip because it sticks out longer and you have more weight to counter-balance. And the bezels are great when you're playing games because they give you a place to rest your thumbs without obscuring any part of the screen. We carefully designed the balance of how the bezels work with the screen so that there's always a stronger dark area at the bottoms, just like the matte on a print. Like if you were going to frame some artwork, so it has a perfect visual balance in both dimensions..

galdevo

How much do people plan on spending in the google play store?

The main reason I want an android device is so I can use all the free crap available on the web. Would it be wrong to assume that this would be hard on such a google-centric device where they want you to pay for every book, tv show, magazine, movie?

The main reason I want an android device is so I can use all the free crap available on the web. Would it be wrong to assume that this would be hard on such a google-centric device where they want you to pay for every book, tv show, magazine, movie?

Not exactly sure what you mean. This device is no different than any other Android/iOS device or phone that you purchase stuff on.

What kind of "free crap" are you looking to use on the web that you wouldn't be able to get with a free app as well?

Preordered, but then the case is not unavailable to order.

Also: no flash on 4.1 so half my reason for getting one (Amazon instant video website through Firefox) is void. Hopefully there's a workaround, but I'm a purist and refuse to load custom roms on it.

Raistlin

It's being subsidized no matter how you look at it. The question is how much?

If 'at cost' is in reference to what ASUS is charging, that still means Google is not looking to recoup any of the costs involved in R&D, design, etc on their end ... nor the cost of the major marketing campaign that is expected to come with this.

If 'at cost' is in reference to ASUS's actual cost to build it, then that means all of the above plus the money Google is paying ASUS since obviously they have to make a profit on this.

Orayn

Also: no flash on 4.1 so half my reason for getting one (Amazon instant video website through Firefox) is void. Hopefully there's a workaround, but I'm a purist and refuse to load custom roms on it.

Evidently, archived versions of Flash for Mobile will still install and run on the Nexus 7 and Adobe is just dropping "official" support. Not sure how much work it would take to install an old version though...

BFIB

Any word on cases or accessories yet?

I'd like to get a case, but I've only seen that clamshell one, and I really want a leather bound one.

Ack, brutal. Personally I don't want or need Flash (hence my iPad), but a lot of the sites my parents visit still use Flash for video.

Evidently, archived versions of Flash for Mobile will still install and run on the Nexus 7 and Adobe is just dropping "official" support. Not sure how much work it would take to install an old version though...

True, I just worry about adobe hinting that it might not work right.

Also, the benchmarks so far show this tablet stomping both the Tab 2 and Transformer Infinity in almost every category. Shouldn't have to worry about performance.

buhdeh

Going to order one and test it out for a while. If web browsing is good enough I'll probably sell my iPad 3 as I don't see any point of keeping that $500+ device purely for web browsing.

gcubed

True, I just worry about adobe hinting that it might not work right.

Also, the benchmarks so far show this tablet stomping both the Tab 2 and Transformer Infinity in almost every category. Shouldn't have to worry about performance.

you'll have to install flash with a browser that can use it, because there is no longer a browser included in the Nexus 7 that can support flash

BFIB

Is 7" usable for web browsing? I'm worried that I'm going to have to constantly zoom in to read text...

I have no problem on my Kindle Fire, and the screen here is going to be a huge jump up in resolution. I'd suggest watching the Verge review, and the enadget review to get an idea of how websites look. I don't think you'll have any issues.

kehs

Banned

Adobe is going to flip the switch on the manifest to prevent newer versions from installing it too. As long as you don't grab the latest one with the change you can install the app.

Yoshiya

Planning to offload my iPad 1 now that software support has ended and performance is sub-par. A more portable device should serve me better anyway for the cases in which I still did use the iPad.

My Android phone experience hasn't been great, but then it's not a Nexus. Gingerbread is shit.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Is the resolution any good? This should go perfect with my iPhone 4s. I'll have the best of both worlds and not have to carry around a bulky iPad.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Is 7" usable for web browsing? I'm worried that I'm going to have to constantly zoom in to read text...

I honestly don't know why people ask this. I browse the net on my iPod 3rd gen and it's fine on a 3.7" tbh lol.. A 7" shouldn't even be a problem in my book.

Just saw the video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPLpHev1YnQ&feature=g-all-u

I love this thing already..

I think that the perfect portability/carry size (no bulk, just right) makes up for the screen size (expectations out of a bigger tablet), maybe a tap or two while browsing the net to zoom in on certain parts of sites to read them is what you'll do without caring.

I honestly don't know why people ask this. I browse the net on my iPod 3rd gen and it's fine on a 3.7" tbh lol.. A 7" shouldn't even be a problem in my book.

Just saw the video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPLpHev1YnQ&feature=g-all-u

I love this thing already..

I think that the perfect portability/carry size (no bulk, just right) makes up for the screen size (expectations out of a bigger tablet), maybe a tap or two while browsing the net to zoom in on certain parts of sites to read them is what you'll do without caring.

Yeah plus the chrome version for the tablet has real tabs like the PC version. That is the main thing that differentiates between tablet and phone versions.

Planning to offload my iPad 1 now that software support has ended and performance is sub-par. A more portable device should serve me better anyway for the cases in which I still did use the iPad.

My Android phone experience hasn't been great, but then it's not a Nexus. Gingerbread is shit.

Yeah, you are living the dark ages there lol

Yoshiya

Yeah, you are living the dark ages there lol

Supposedly the ICS update from HTC is imminent, but I'll believe that when I see it on my phone. I'm still in the warranty period so I'd rather not screw around with community ROMs, especially given the obvious security concerns.

Yes anonymous internet figure, I'd love to run your custom OS below the apps containing my banking details.

BFIB

Awesome. Just found a buyer for my Kindle Fire, $140 with the case.

Time to go without a tablet for a few weeks, hopefully we get a concrete date soon.

JordanKZ

Supposedly the ICS update from HTC is imminent, but I'll believe that when I see it on my phone. I'm still in the warranty period so I'd rather not screw around with community ROMs, especially given the obvious security concerns.

Yes anonymous internet figure, I'd love to run your custom OS below the apps containing my banking details.

Seriously? Considering you can see every process that's being run by Android at any one time, this is an extremely outlandish statement.

kehs

Banned

There's no way to quell your fears unless you actually go out and build a ROM yourself from their source code. With that said, the sandbox environment makes its really hard for even the ROM to pull data from inside of secure apps. There are teams out there that have earned the trust people give them because everything they put out can be looked at with a magnifying glass. If anything fishy was happening behind the scenes, it would have come out immediately.

I personally don't run ROMs from random developers for the same security concerns though, but something like CM? You really have very little to worry about.

Firefox supports flash, so as long as I can grab flash before they pull it I should be fine. Hopefully no bugs in 4.1.

Also, yes, the gpu in the tegra 3 is 12 core. Check the nvidia website for tegra. I'm sure they just mean cuda cores though.

Yoshiya

I personally don't run ROMs from random developers for the same security concerns though, but something like CM? You really have very little to worry about.

Oh sure, I'd run CM were it not for warranty and laziness due to that fact - I know everything they do is subject to public scrutiny. I just don't trust the device-specific ICS ROMs available to me, coming from xda member #13724. Even if not produced with malicious intent, I'm sure their QA processes are great.

galdevo

Not exactly sure what you mean. This device is no different than any other Android/iOS device or phone that you purchase stuff on.

I guess I'm curious as to how much people are spending within their market place, be it Amazon, Google, or B&N? Like per month how much do you buy and store on the cloud? Or can you literally not spend any money in these markets and get everything you want out of the device? I don't have a tablet, yet, so I'm curious if the buck stops at the $200 entry point.

Top Bottom