• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Husker86

Staples has both the Nexus 7 and Kindle HD to try out if that is an option. At least mine does, I'd call up first just to check.
Oh yeah, forgot about Staples. They had every Android tablet on display and functional when I went there a while back while scouting the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Alex

Ive messed with the last kindle, I didn't care for it at all, not even close. Of all the tablets we've had I really like this one the best.

Not sure how its (the fire) improved, though.

I'm using a ROM a friend suggested, its paranoid android. I was going to experiment a little but this is perfect for me I think so I'll just stick with it. Just using whatever kernel they bundled with it (I'm really new to this) and the apex launcher.

Angelcurio

My tablet finally arrived today, i'm actually posting from it, and it's quite confortable. I don't know why when i Hold it on landscape form it doesn't reorient the content.

What are some apps recommendations for a complete android virgin?

My tablet finally arrived today, i'm actually posting from it, and it's quite confortable. I don't know why when i Hold it on landscape form it doesn't reorient the content.

What are some apps recommendations for a complete android virgin?

Did you update the system? The newest Android update allows landscape view in the home screen. Also, it's default set to Orientation lock, just pull down from the top and it's the little lock symbol

Dunlop

My Nexus stopped turining on or off with the smart cover. Everything else seems fine. Is there a setting for this on the tablet or is it a defect?

RevDM

Banned
What else can I do with my rooted tablet. What's the best pdf reader? I'm using Kindle app for it now. Anything that you an edit or highlight PDFs with?

What else can I do with my rooted tablet.

Backup apps and data with titanium backup

Install custom kernels (for overclock, color calibration, gamma settings etc.)

Use datasync app to sync data (gamesaves) with other android devices (both devices need root)

Install adblock.

Try some custom roms as Paranoidandroid

There isn't much to do with root when you just want the basic stuff though, but it doesn't hurt to have it. Compared to iOS Android has "stock jailbreak" as most stuff you can already do even unrooted.

:( what the fuck is up with Google and their accessories? Makes me think that wireless charging dock for the Nexus4 will also never see the light of day.

Wait. What? Does this mean the Nexus 4 won't come with the right equipment to enable wireless charging out of the box?

I am disappoint, if true.

Angst

Wait. What? Does this mean the Nexus 4 won't come with the right equipment to enable wireless charging out of the box?

It's wireless charging enabled out of the dock. You just need to buy the "dock". On the off-chance that you already have a qi wireless charging pad, that will work too. AFAIK.

Even on Nexus devices, manufacturers still produce the updates - they're vanilla stock but not built by Google themselves - hence, the Asus announcement.

Most likely date is November 13th to coincide with the new Nexus launches.

Dunlop

arg my smartcover sensor issue looks to be hardware related and my 30 day return policy for staples ended 2 days ago ; (

Now do decide if I care about this enough to deal with what I am sure will be a headache exchanging this with google canada

arg my smartcover sensor issue looks to be hardware related and my 30 day return policy for staples ended 2 days ago ; (

Just a thought - have you tried a different smart cover? Just to make doubly sure it's the nexus and not the cover? I read a lot of Amazon reviews on these things, and some people have had instances of smart covers intermittently working / not working...

the phone comes with the right equipment to accept a wireless charge, but the wireless charging pad you have to rest the phone on is an accessory. they cost just a little bit more than a usb cable...

the phone comes with the right equipment to accept a wireless charge, but the wireless charging pad you have to rest the phone on is an accessory. they cost just a little bit more than a usb cable...

Good to know. Would still have been nice to include the charging pad in the box - would have knocked it out of the park tbh.

Dunlop

Just a thought - have you tried a different smart cover? Just to make doubly sure it's the nexus and not the cover? I read a lot of Amazon reviews on these things, and some people have had instances of smart covers intermittently working / not working...
I ran a magnet to the lower left corner and it does seem to work that way,the magnets in the cover are at the same spot.it's like it is not as sensative and the magnet now needs to hit a very specific spot

edit: nvm it works great on both sides when the magnet is about 1/4" from where it is in the case. I'll cut the case open and move the magnet when I can get to my tools. Maybe the magnet moved, the case is no the best in the world

edit: in an exciting conclusion to my epic tale, the Nexus is fine. The POS case I have (only on staples had in stock):

http://www.hipstreet.com/hipstreet-asus-google-nexus-7-standing-case/

Let's you use the stand with the Nexus in portrait mode..I have no idea why but I showed someone how useless it was and when I flipped it back to landscape I just learned that you need to have it a specific way for the magnets to work (i.e turn the case clockwise and not counter clockwise).

Conclussion: Don't buy this case :p

Loved my Nexus 7 since launch and now I keep noticing my screen is slightly yellow. The question is should I just deal with it considering my unit has no other faults and hope for a fix from external developers, or get it replaced now, or get it replaced later if developers don't come up with screen calibration or something? D: DECISIONS

Other than that I love it. Just sayin'. It's just awkward going from a cold colour temperature like my phone or PC to my tablet's warm calibration/yellow screen/whatever it may be. To the point where I've put a permanent F.lux filter on my PC screen.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Loved my Nexus 7 since launch and now I keep noticing my screen is slightly yellow. The question is should I just deal with it considering my unit has no other faults and hope for a fix from external developers, or get it replaced now, or get it replaced later if developers don't come up with screen calibration or something? D: DECISIONS

Other than that I love it. Just sayin'. It's just awkward going from a cold colour temperature like my phone or PC to my tablet's warm calibration/yellow screen/whatever it may be. To the point where I've put a permanent F.lux filter on my PC screen.

If you can get it replaced at no cost, then do it. No reason to settle with broken hardware.

Kaladin

I'm considering what tablet I want to get to replace my dying laptop as a portable media consumption / web browsing device that I can occasionally do some word processing on and the Nexus 7 seems like the best 7" option.

I have however been reading about quality issues with the build on them.....does anyone know if this was resolved with the 32GB units or have people still been having issues?

Have this at home, not a bad tablet at all, but android still has some glaring flaws that need fixing. It feels like something that lacks polish in certain areas.

VoxPop

My N7 screen just started flickering randomly. I'm guessing its the budget parts starting to break down? Anyone else have/had the same issue?

°°ToMmY°°;43896387 said:
Have this at home, not a bad tablet at all, but android still has some glaring flaws that need fixing. It feels like something that lacks polish in certain areas.

Yeah...it needs more tablet specific apps...my main issue

BFIB

Yeah...it needs more tablet specific apps...my main issue

It's my main concern for not wanting to test the 10" waters with the Nexus 10. For the 7, the blown up apps work, but I can't imagine phone apps blown up on the 10" screen with that resolution.

Its the only thing about Apple that I miss. Uniform apps that work across the entire spectrum of products.

It's my main concern for not wanting to test the 10" waters with the Nexus 10. For the 7, the blown up apps work, but I can't imagine phone apps blown up on the 10" screen with that resolution.

Its the only thing about Apple that I miss. Uniform apps that work across the entire spectrum of products.

Apps are already build to scale, so the only real issues are potentially awkward layout, or lo-res assets.

I haven't had a problem with either in any amount worth my concern.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Hey, I just got my nexus from gamestop, are they still supposed to come with 25 dollars of credit for the store?

Mairu

I think I'd have preferred to trade the google credit in for double the storage space. I mean, yeah, early adopters getting screwed is normal- but I did not expect them to double the storage space in only a few months.

Staples is selling the 8GB for $150 on clearance.

I love Apple products, but I don't think I can resist. I played with a N7 today at the store and it was buttery smooth.

flake

Would you guys recommend the Nexus 7 for movie/tv show watching in bed?

Thinking about picking one up. Dont have the budget for a Nexus 10/iPad. I will also be using it for web browsing/reading.

Thinking about picking one up. Dont have the budget for a Nexus 10/iPad. I will also be using it for web browsing/reading.

Fuck yes, media playback is so much better on android, and the N7 is beefy enough to run 1080p movies without any problems.

Screen resolution also makes it a joy to read books with.

Emily Chu

Banned

being dead honest here
I'm using a 14.1" laptop atm in bed and I can pretty watch whatever the hell I want and I don't have to hold the damn thing...

on a side note -- >

I'm starting to wonder about the tablet form factor in general

inside I'm just using the laptop most of the time
outside I just use my phone...

and even then Laptop/tablets hybrids are just around the corner if not some are already released

and if I get something like this an X230t or x240t I don't see the need for an "extra" tablet laying around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnA0zBwb7M

but honestly if I can install full windows 8 Pro x64/x86 and run real programs I would have no complaints with my nexus 7....

Does anyone when the 3G version is releasing? I see on play it says both the nexus 4/10 are releasing Nov 13th but nothing regarding the 3G 7...just "coming soon"

being dead honest here
I'm using a 14.1" laptop atm in bed and I can pretty watch whatever the hell I want and I don't have to hold the damn thing...

on a side note -- >

I'm starting to wonder about the tablet form factor in general

inside I'm just using the laptop most of the time
outside I just use my phone...

and even then Laptop/tablets hybrids are just around the corner if not some are already released

and if I get something like this an X230t or x240t I don't see the need for an "extra" tablet laying around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnA0zBwb7M

but honestly if I can install full windows 8 Pro x64/x86 and run real programs I would have no complaints with my nexus 7....

Would work except I have the beast pictured below lol...it's big, heavy...but the thing can play games great! :)

ASUS-G74SX-3D.jpg

Top Bottom