• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Dunlop

Would you guys recommend the Nexus 7 for movie/tv show watching in bed?

Thinking about picking one up. Dont have the budget for a Nexus 10/iPad. I will also be using it for web browsing/reading.

definitely

The 7" tablet will be the one that I regularly update, I just get so much use out of it. My 10" (touchpad with ICS) is pretty much used by my kids because my wife and I will probably never use it again

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
google-nexus-7-dock,W-L-347205-3.jpg

I really hope this thing hasn't been canceled.

I just picked up an N7 at Office Depot this morning and GAF is the first place I went. :) It's the new 32GB model and damn this thing is slick and fast. The screen is so clear...I know reading and watching movies on this will be like butter.

Any rough estimates on when we could expect the Nexus 8? I want a Nexus 7 but I'm not sure if I want to jump in this late...

Then again, with a HD screen and 16gb of storage I'm not sure raw power improvements will matter much.

I just went to staples and bought an 8gb display model for 159.00
Everything looks fine and i should have a 1yr manufacturer warranty. My motivation was im going to give my ipad 2 as a gift to someone so hopefully this wasnt a dumb purchase. I really only browse neogaf on tablets and a few other sites where i wish i had flash support for.

Jeff-DSA

I'm looking for a new sleeve or case for my wife's N7. I got her a zip up one that was technically made for a Kindle Fire, but I get the feeling that she's not too hot on it. A slip case could be nice, but I'm looking into all options now.

Has there been a general consensus on the best covers/cases around here? Neither one of us like the kinds that your tablet snaps in or is held into the cover with any sort of elastic or anything.

wetwired

Would you guys recommend the Nexus 7 for movie/tv show watching in bed?

Thinking about picking one up. Dont have the budget for a Nexus 10/iPad. I will also be using it for web browsing/reading.

Yes I do it all the time, I can stream 1080p content over wifi seamlessly (though obviously it's not playing back at that resolution)

ektoll

Yes I do it all the time, I can stream 1080p content over wifi seamlessly (though obviously it's not playing back at that resolution)

This is very interesting to me! Do you need a software running on your pc for doing a quick conversion?

Because I can't play 1080p content with my iPad2 over wifi (directly from my NAS) so if I could do this with the N7... :D

sca2511

Well, I use PS3 Media Server which transcodes the files on the fly and I use the apps MediaHouse UPnP/DLNA Browser and MXPlayer to browse and play the videos. Works great.

wetwired

This is very interesting to me! Do you need a software running on your pc for doing a quick conversion?

Because I can't play 1080p content with my iPad2 over wifi (directly from my NAS) so if I could do this with the N7... :D
Nope I'm streaming all the videos off my NAS box with no conversion.

I use the free ES file explorer app to access the share drive and the free DICE player app to play the videos.

wetwired

I just tested a few files to make sure I wasn't sure I wasn't sure completely talking out my arse.

A couple of files wouldn't play at all and one stuttered after a minute or so. The rest have been fine.

wetwired

I just use ES File explorer to browse to the network location and open the files from there with DICE, nothing special really.

chrislowe

I've just preordered a Nexus 7 32GB!. Hopefully it will be here within a few weeks.

Hope it comes preinstalled with 4.2 from the box!.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
What's the best (simplest) way to stream movies/music from my Mac? It'd be cool if I could access files too, for comic transferring purposes.

Anyone ever seen their screen flicker?

I swear occasionally at night the backlight seems to flicker.. but it's not very frequent. Would I have trouble exchanging it (Google Play) in case they don't see the problem?

RJM77

Does anyone when the 3G version is releasing? I see on play it says both the nexus 4/10 are releasing Nov 13th but nothing regarding the 3G 7...just "coming soon"

I've read November 5th a lot of places. But then lately I've seen several places pointing towards the 13th.

3phemeral

Just noticed the headphone jack on my N7 doesn't appear to be working, anyone else had a similar issue?

When you're speaking into the tablet via say, Google Now for voice search, does it recognize input?

I once connected by Galaxy Nexus to a projector to test the sound output and thought the projector's sound system wasn't working. I later discovered that the auto-detect feature on my GNex malfunctioned, and now I have to use this App called SoundAbout to force the phone into a particular audio configuration, otherwise it just doesn't work.

I'm hoping you don't have that same issue because I can't find any other way to permanently fix it.

Greymanic

Neo Member
When you're speaking into the tablet via say, Google Now for voice search, does it recognize input?

I once connected by Galaxy Nexus to a projector to test the sound output and thought the projector's sound system wasn't working. I later discovered that the auto-detect feature on my GNex malfunctioned, and now I have to use this App called SoundAbout to force the phone into a particular audio configuration, otherwise it just doesn't work.

I'm hoping you don't have that same issue because I can't find any other way to permanently fix it.

For voice search it appears to be working well, most of my searches were accurate.

I actually managed to get the headphone jack working somewhat, definitely seems defective. Basically if I force the connector of my headphones (I've tried several) then it works occasionally but quickly stops.

Oh well, guess I have an excuse to upgrade to the 32GB.

3phemeral

For voice search it appears to be working well, most of my searches were accurate.

I actually managed to get the headphone jack working somewhat, definitely seems defective. Basically if I force the connector of my headphones (I've tried several) then it works occasionally but quickly stops.

Oh well, guess I have an excuse to upgrade to the 32GB.
Not sure what's wrong, but at least it ain't as bad as mine!

Whenever I connect headphones, it automatically activates voice search. The phone, by default, will automatically think headphones are connected, so I have to force disable it to ensure I can use the headset normally during a phone call. Otherwise, I have to use speakerphone if I didn't find SoundAbout to fix it. I have the BlackTie Best Buy insurance, but they don't replace it (it's still under the year warranty anyhow), they'll just ship it off for however long it takes to fix it while I use a loaner phone of theirs.

Greymanic

Neo Member
Not sure what's wrong, but at least it ain't as bad as mine!

Whenever I connect headphones, it automatically activates voice search. The phone, by default, will automatically think headphones are connected, so I have to force disable it to ensure I can use the headset normally during a phone call. Otherwise, I have to use speakerphone if I didn't find SoundAbout to fix it. I have the BlackTie Best Buy insurance, but they don't replace it (it's still under the year warranty anyhow), they'll just ship it off for however long it takes to fix it while I use a loaner phone of theirs.

It seems like a loose connector, I did actually notice it 4 weeks ago but I was away on business so forgot to investigate it. I've got everything so I'll just bring it back tomorrow for a replacement.

Kind of thankful this isn't happening to my phone like in your case, sounds like a pain to have to keep toggling it on and off.

3phemeral

It seems like a loose connector, I did actually notice it 4 weeks ago but I was away on business so forgot to investigate it. I've got everything so I'll just bring it back tomorrow for a replacement.

Kind of thankful this isn't happening to my phone like in your case, sounds like a pain to have to keep toggling it on and off.

It was initially, but it was even more of a pain when I didn't know what was going on with it. I thought it was ROM related because I flash so frequently, so those moments of desperation just to get my phone to work and starting over from scratch several times really felt pointless when I finally figured it out.
KuGsj.gif

Really unfortunate aspect for what has otherwise been a great phone.

Hope you get yours fixed, though.

Greymanic

Neo Member
It was initially, but it was even more of a pain when I didn't know what was going on with it. I thought it was ROM related because I flash so frequently, so those moments of desperation just to get my phone to work and starting over from scratch several times really felt pointless when I finally figured it out.
KuGsj.gif

Really unfortunate aspect for what has otherwise been a great phone.

Hope you get yours fixed, though.

Indeed, seems like a fantastic phone. Contemplating getting one myself but think I may leave it for a bit or go with the N4.

And cheers!

MrDenny

My nexus should arrive soon, have a question about the brightness setting on the nexus 7.
I use a laptop, and even on the lowest brightness setting I think it is too bright to use at night.
After a while it strains my eyes, so I was wondering if the brightness is able to be set pretty dim on the nexus.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So it's $230 after tax everywhere, so is there any reason not to buy it for $230 on Amazon with free shipping, or can the 7 be purchased elsewhere for $199?

vdlow

Anyone ever seen their screen flicker?

I swear occasionally at night the backlight seems to flicker.. but it's not very frequent. Would I have trouble exchanging it (Google Play) in case they don't see the problem?

As I mentioned here, sometimes I have this flickering problem, but I only had this problem while using Chrome. And it's not something that happens all the time, so I'm still not worrying about.

ektoll

I just tested a few files to make sure I wasn't sure I wasn't sure completely talking out my arse.

A couple of files wouldn't play at all and one stuttered after a minute or so. The rest have been fine.

Thanks for the answers! A friend of mine has a N7 so I'll test it at home before buying one too.

On another topic, does anyone own a kindle and a nexus and/or ditched the kindle to read on the nexus? I'm trying to persuade my girlfriend to sell her Kobo eReader but if reading on the nexus is atrocious, I'll take some flak lol :s

Thanks for the answers! A friend of mine has a N7 so I'll test it at home before buying one too.

On another topic, does anyone own a kindle and a nexus and/or ditched the kindle to read on the nexus? I'm trying to persuade my girlfriend to sell her Kobo eReader but if reading on the nexus is atrocious, I'll take some flak lol :s

Kindle only has access to amazon app store so IMO it's rather worthless unless you are only after media consumption like books, amazon instant etc.

The Nexus 7 has, of course, a reflecting display and that can be a bit distracting. So if we're just strictly talking about reading books you can't beat a Kindle, even though it's not terrible on a tablet either.

tirant

On another topic, does anyon e own a kindle and a nexus and/or ditched the kindle to read on the nexus? I'm trying to persuade my girlfriend to sell her Kobo eReader but if reading on the nexus is atrocious, I'll take some flak lol :s

Reading on any tft/lcd is atrocious if you compare it to any ereader like the kobo or the kindle.

Maybe it should be you that need to be persuaded to use an ereader ;)

Top Bottom