• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Duxxy3

Reading on any tft/lcd is atrocious if you compare it to any ereader like the kobo or the kindle.

Maybe it should be you that need to be persuaded to use an ereader ;)

Seriously, if you're a heavy reader just do yourself a favor and get an e-ink ereader. Easy on the eyes and you can actually see them under the sun.

adroit

On another topic, does anyone own a kindle and a nexus and/or ditched the kindle to read on the nexus? I'm trying to persuade my girlfriend to sell her Kobo eReader but if reading on the nexus is atrocious, I'll take some flak lol :s
My wife tried reading a book on my Nexus 7 for several hours and she decided she prefers her e-ink reader (ancient 1st generation Nook). If you are only going to read books, e-ink is probably the way to go. But if you want a general-purpose device that can do many other things, something like the Nexus 7 is a better choice.

I read books on my Nexus 7 (at night before going to sleep) and I'm very happy with it. I use white text on black background with the display brightness set to the minimum setting (in the reading app, not the system-wide settings). So it isn't bad for reading books. It's just not optimized for the job like an e-ink reader.

My favorite reading app is Moon+ Reader Pro.

Panda Rin

On another topic, does anyone own a kindle and a nexus and/or ditched the kindle to read on the nexus? I'm trying to persuade my girlfriend to sell her Kobo eReader but if reading on the nexus is atrocious, I'll take some flak lol :s

I prefer having an eink-reader over my n7 to read, since it strains my eyes whenever I try to read on the darn thing.

DagsJT

I prefer my Kindle for daytime reading and switch between my Nexus 7 and Kindle with the Kandle light attached for bedtime reading. Hoping to get a Paperwhite soon though.

Also I'm finding I really don't like the Nexus 7 for comic reading, it's just far easier on the iPad. Maybe the iPad Mini might be better but the N7 just feels a little too small.

ektoll

You may have convinced me to keep the Ereader. I don't like the idea of having 2 devices that can more or less do the same thing, in this case reading, but it's true that the eReader has some advantages: reading outside for example. I know for a fact that, unless you're under the shadow of a tree, you can't see sh*t on the iPad screen, even at full luminosity. Is it the same thing with the N7?

. And of course it's less easy to break than a tablet (I learned to never underestimate the capacity of my SO to break electronic devices)...

Last question, I swear! (I should just buy the damn thing and see for myself lol):

Are there applications for "Pinterest" and "Fancy"? Because she's constantly stealing my tablet for browsing those apps so if I buy her a nexus and those apps are not there or are bad equivalents, well, there goes my peace...

Again, sincerely, thanks you GAF for your answers and all the help you're bringing to the newbies ;)

mannerbot

You may have convinced me to keep the Ereader. I don't like the idea of having 2 devices that can more or less do the same thing, in this case reading, but it's true that the eReader has some advantages: reading outside for example. I know for a fact that, unless you're under the shadow of a tree, you can't see sh*t on the iPad screen, even at full luminosity. Is it the same thing with the N7?

. And of course it's less easy to break than a tablet (I learned to never underestimate the capacity of my SO to break electronic devices)...

Last question, I swear! (I should just buy the damn thing and see for myself lol):

Are there applications for "Pinterest" and "Fancy"? Because she's constantly stealing my tablet for browsing those apps so if I buy her a nexus and those apps are not there or are bad equivalents, well, there goes my peace...

Again, sincerely, thanks you GAF for your answers and all the help you're bringing to the newbies ;)

Yes, there are apps for both.

Kenobi

Not sure about the sunlight thing but I feel more confident holding my nexus 7 than my iPad. What I mean is the grip with one hand is solid, and the rubbery back has a nice grip. Don't get me wrong I like both devices

Yes there is a Pinterest and Fancy apps on the Google Play Store. I think you can browse the market online too. Just search for Google Play Store.

Pinterest

Fancy

coopolon

I'm curious about any impressions going from a 10 inch tablet to the Nexus 7. Skipping around in the thread I haven't found much but please just link if something's already been posted. I had an ipad 1 and recently sold it thinking I'd get the ipad 3/4, and now instead thinking Nexus 10, but I don't know. The vast majority of what I do on the tablet is browse the internet (mostly major sites that have mobile pages), check email, and occasionally watch media.

I've always thought a 7 inch is a weird size because my phone is 4.7 inches, but really for what I do maybe a 10 inch is too big.

I would miss having a normal sized keyboard in landscape mode, but I really don't type that much. It's not like I'm ever doing word processing or something. And $200 is a much more appealing price than $400. Heck, I sold my ipad 1 for more than $200.

Mairu

I'm curious about any impressions going from a 10 inch tablet to the Nexus 7. Skipping around in the thread I haven't found much but please just link if something's already been posted. I had an ipad 1 and recently sold it thinking I'd get the ipad 3/4, and now instead thinking Nexus 10, but I don't know. The vast majority of what I do on the tablet is browse the internet (mostly major sites that have mobile pages), check email, and occasionally watch media.

I've always thought a 7 inch is a weird size because my phone is 4.7 inches, but really for what I do maybe a 10 inch is too big.

I would miss having a normal sized keyboard in landscape mode, but I really don't type that much. It's not like I'm ever doing word processing or something. And $200 is a much more appealing price than $400. Heck, I sold my ipad 1 for more than $200.

~7" tablet is best size for tablet! If all you're doing is media consumption + basic internet, Nexus 7 is a great choice

DagsJT

7" is great for browsing and emails. For browsing, the Nexus 7 is a lot easier to hold than an iPad. Watching media is a personal thing really though, both sizes work well.

ektoll

Yes there is a Pinterest and Fancy apps on the Google Play Store. I think you can browse the market online too. Just search for Google Play Store.

I realized this with Faceless's post, now I'm searching every app that I own on iPad! There seems to be an equivalent for nearly everything mainstream, so for my girlfriend, it shouldn't be a problem, but for me, the absence of "papers" hurts.

Alex

I've had an iPad 2, an iPad 3, have some experience with the first Kindle Fire and now I have this.

So if you need to ask me anything specific, go for it. Personally, I prefer this one most of all. It's the perfect size for personal media consumption, especially with the specific 7inch x 16:9 form factor, it's very comfortable to cradle in one hand which I love as I'm doing a ton of reading on it (web, RSS, manga/comics, ebooks, etc).

As for typing, I find it comfortable to type in on portrait but def not as comfortable as an iPad to type in landscape.

It's very light, easy to pick up, toss around, whatever. That extra heft going onto the iPad 3 especially made me just opt not to use it in quite a few cases, it's a substantial thing to carry around and combined with the metal backing and heat I didn't find it comfortable to use for long periods. The size and weight of it also makes it easier to swap around for various apps and actions, which is something I've appreciated as well.

Oh, and I fucking love this operating system. I guess I picked a good time to check out Android since this is the version that brings the heat. I always avoided it pretty fiercely in the past. It's nice to feel like you have really good choices in this market, nowadays. If Apple ever made a 16:9 iPad, that'd make selection even better for me.

I dunno, my advice is just nab something from a brick and mortar store. something where you can give it a spin for a few days and return it if you aren't clicking with it. Wouldn't go blind on shit like this unless you're pretty sure of what you want.

markot

Banned
I think its coming soon, like all the new nexus things, so in a week?

Think they will push out 4.2 for us then too >.>?

Got to play around with a Kindle Fire HD this week. I want the stock Android experience, so I'm looking at the N7. However, a couple things about it were quite nice.

This case. It is awesome and I can't find an equivalent for the Nexus 7. Any ideas? I'm sick of these tablet cases that fold up... this one has a stiff cover with a rubberized edge and it works beautifully.

Rotating, high-res lock screen images. Any way to do this on the Nexus 7?

Also, the Fire HD's web browsing was still pretty choppy in terms of scrolling. How is it on the Nexus 7?

BFIB

Got to play around with a Kindle Fire HD this week. I want the stock Android experience, so I'm looking at the N7. However, a couple things about it were quite nice.

This case. It is awesome and I can't find an equivalent for the Nexus 7. Any ideas? I'm sick of these tablet cases that fold up... this one has a stiff cover with a rubberized edge and it works beautifully.

Also, the Fire HD's web browsing was still pretty choppy in terms of scrolling. How is it on the Nexus 7?

Here is the case I used with my Kindle Fire, and how use on my Nexus 7. Works great!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KDYBIO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Web browsing on the Nexus 7 is fantastic as well. It has Chrome built in, and it works just the same as your desktop chrome, tabs and all. Viewing GAF while on the 7 is perfect.

A LOT better than Kindle...it uses Chrome and works great from what I've tested

Moloko

Neo Member
Bought the Nexus 7 16 GB last weekend and I'm very happy with it. There's only one problem; it doesn't play DTS audio. I've got several mkv files on the N7, video is perfect, but no sound :(
Maybe this question has already been answered in this thread, but does anyone know a mediaplayer that plays DTS audio?

Thanks.

JordanKZ

Bought the Nexus 7 16 GB last weekend and I'm very happy with it. There's only one problem; it doesn't play DTS audio. I've got several mkv files on the N7, video is perfect, but no sound :(
Maybe this question has already been answered in this thread, but does anyone know a mediaplayer that plays DTS audio?

Thanks.

What have you tried so far? MX Player and BS Player tend to be the best two.

Your other option is to either get something to stream over your network (like Plex) or use something like Handbreak to convert to MP4 instead.

Thanks.

Just got my Nexus 7 this week and ran into the same problem.

Two solutions:

A)Use VLC beta and enable hardware decode. Plays DTS audio flawlessly for me.

B)Find an old version of MX Player or Dice. Both used to support DTS, but had to drop the codec due to a threat of a lawsuit. Dice developers said that they are now denied the right to even buy a licence.

Moloko

Neo Member
Thanks JordanKZ & RibbedHero. Both MX player and BS player don't play audio.
Tonight after work I'll try the other options you mentioned.

Moloko

Neo Member
Tried everything, nothing worked. Then I thought, maybe I should restart the N7. And now it plays audio again..... :s

ReconPeon

I want to buy the 16 gb model, and I was looking at gamestop because I was going to trade some stuff in towards the price. The problem is that on the website it isn't available. Does anyone know if it is available in stores or if it will be available online soon?

I caved.

I bought a Nexus 7 for my dad for Christmas. While setting it up with apps, I realized I love this thing and bought one!

It's just a great device. Feedly, Pocket and Currents are awesome and Jelly Bean is a huge improvement over the last version of Android I used on my original Droid.

I love my iPhone and Mac. But this is the perfect mid-sized device for me.

Edit: Swype is invaluable as well and makes me wish iOS had something comparable.

I'm torn, GAF. I want to get an Android tablet mainly for development and testing purposes (but also just to have a backup tablet, I suppose). Since I already have an iPad 3, should I get the Nexus 10 or the 7? I leaning towards the 7 because I don't have anything with a 7 inch screen to test things on... but is that a wise idea?

The fact that it's cheaper is nice, too...

BFIB

I'm torn, GAF. I want to get an Android tablet mainly for development and testing purposes (but also just to have a backup tablet, I suppose). Since I already have an iPad 3, should I get the Nexus 10 or the 7? I leaning towards the 7 because I don't have anything with a 7 inch screen to test things on... but is that a wise idea?

The fact that it's cheaper is nice, too...

I'd recommend the 7, since the apps will work on both the 7 and 10.

Kibbles

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17204586

32GB model for $229 w/free shipping after promo code RMN20 at checkout.

I'm seething....:|

INSANE deal on a great device.

Thanks, impulse bought. Figured I'll try it out and see if I like it. I already have a jellybean android phone, not sure what the use is in getting something that has a screen 3 inches bigger, but I did it anyway, considering I should be able to make my money back if I don't like it by selling it.

womp

Thanks, impulse bought. Figured I'll try it out and see if I like it. I already have a jellybean android phone, not sure what the use is in getting something that has a screen 3 inches bigger, but I did it anyway, considering I should be able to make my money back if I don't like it by selling it.

I have a Galaxy Nexus. If you are anything like me, you'll be using your phone less now. The Nexus 7 Jelly Bean experience is even better than the phone's and more buttery. I hope you enjoy it because I tote mine everywhere now. :)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I have a Galaxy Nexus. If you are anything like me, you'll be using your phone less now. The Nexus 7 Jelly Bean experience is even better than the phone's and more buttery. I hope you enjoy it because I tote mine everywhere now. :)

Is your Galaxy Nexus not up to JB yet?

I've been getting the urge to get a tablet lately.

I stopped by a Staples and got to check out the Nexus 7 for a little bit. Pretty sexy device, but I don't think the size is what I'm looking for. I think I'm more looking for a 10in to replace my old netbook, but there are so many of them out there!

Blablurn

I've been getting the urge to get a tablet lately.

I stopped by a Staples and got to check out the Nexus 7 for a little bit. Pretty sexy device, but I don't think the size is what I'm looking for. I think I'm more looking for a 10in to replace my old netbook, but there are so many of them out there!

Maybe the nexus 10 then?

mr stroke

Just picked up a Nexus 7 16gb at Walmart and after a day of use I am not sure if I like it or not. Being primarily an Apple person(and Windows for gaming) I am a little let down. The experience doesn't feel as smooth as my iPad or iPhone. Its too bad as the hardware its self is beautiful and very well made. Going to give it a couple more days to decide if I will return for an iPad Mini.

Maybe the nexus 10 then?

Very much considering it. I'm in no hurry thankfully so I can wait for reviews/impressions and avoid possible early production defects. I really want to know how loud the speakers are since I listen to a lot of podcasts.

I'm pretty confident that Android is the OS that will work best for me as a replacement to the 10in netbook I rarely use. Light document editing, music/podcasts, web browsing, multimedia, and occasional games. Adding USB storage seems like a very easy fix with Android (if it doesn't have it natively), so I can get the smaller version and keep media on a thumbdrive.

The Nexus 7 doesn't natively support USB storage, right? I've heard that there's a $3 app that lets you do that or you can just root it and do it for free.

Blablurn

I'm pretty confident that Android is the OS that will work best for me as a replacement to the 10in netbook I rarely use. Light document editing, music/podcasts, web browsing, multimedia, and occasional games.

and dont forget, microsoft announced office for android and iOS yesterday :-o those tablets are getting more useful every day.

womp

Very much considering it. I'm in no hurry thankfully so I can wait for reviews/impressions and avoid possible early production defects. I really want to know how loud the speakers are since I listen to a lot of podcasts.

I'm pretty confident that Android is the OS that will work best for me as a replacement to the 10in netbook I rarely use. Light document editing, music/podcasts, web browsing, multimedia, and occasional games. Adding USB storage seems like a very easy fix with Android (if it doesn't have it natively), so I can get the smaller version and keep media on a thumbdrive.

The Nexus 7 doesn't natively support USB storage, right? I've heard that there's a $3 app that lets you do that or you can just root it and do it for free.

Google search OTG cable Nexus 7 to read all about it. It rocks.

Top Bottom