• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

JordanKZ

Just got one of these :-D Surprisingly good to use, just getting used to typing which is slower than I expected.

Any recommendations?

Sen²;44120939 said:
Check out SwiftKey or SlideIt (SlideIt is similar to Samsung's Swype but better, in my opinion). Thumb Keyboard is also quite okay. It was available for free on the Amazon App Store a few weeks ago.

Considering the 4.2 OTA is probably due to hit in around a week or so, save the money. Android 4.2 has a swype-esk keyboard built in and it's quite fantastic (used it on my Galaxy Nexus)

Dunlop

Sen²;44120939 said:
Thumb Keyboard is also quite okay. It was available for free on the Amazon App Store a few weeks ago.

+1 for thumb keyboard, just for the fact you can store values into a single keypress.

I love swiftkey but any time I needed to enter my email addresses (which all have periods) it was misery having to undo the autocorrections each time.

There are 16 buttons that you can store whatever text value you want in them for things that you need to type frequently

Prediction is much better on Swiftkey though

Google search OTG cable Nexus 7 to read all about it. It rocks.

That's what I was referring too, but an Anandtech article said that mounting USB storage from an OTG isn't supported natively. Could be an old article so maybe it's supported by now, but I am aware that there are multiple methods of getting it to work either through apps or rooting.

womp

That's what I was referring too, but an Anandtech article said that mounting USB storage from an OTG isn't supported natively. Could be an old article so maybe it's supported by now, but I am aware that there are multiple methods of getting it to work either through apps or rooting.

Basically you root and then install Stick Mount from the Play Market....That's it. Done. No reason not to root the N7 out of the box anyhow so it is a non issue.

Otherwise if you don't root you are stuck using a proprietary file manager and even then you cannot read/write in both directions.

bede-x

Bought a Nexus 7 last week and I mostly like it even if there's some obvious faults, though some of them might be due to my lack of understanding when it comes to Android. This - shamefully - is my first Android device. Three things that annoy me:

1: Battery. I'm getting 6-7 hours typically which is much less than I get on my iPad 2. It's not a huge problem, but it does mean that I have to carry the charger with me, if I wanna be sure not to run out. According to Carat part of the problem is my Live Galaxy Wallpaper that cost more than an hour battery time. I've tried a few other Live Wallpapers and I either get reduced battery time or a choppy interface when using them, which kind of makes them worthless(to me).

2: The browser is horrible. Really, there's no two ways around it. I know people say it's very smooth for an Android device, but compared to iOS or even Windows Phone this is choppy-ville. I tried Dolphin instead of Chrome and it improved responsiveness massively and added some nice features I didn't even know I was missing. How Google can ship with Chrome in this state I don't get. Dolphin does crash now and again, but it's still preferable to Chrome.

Btw is there any way to go to the top of the screen when browsing in Chrome and Dolphin(without drawing symbols)?

3: Lack of apps. Every review said it and with good reason. It's nice to see a section in Google Play dedicated to staff favorite tablet apps, but it's quite a lackluster selection. I'm especially disappointed that there's no CNN app. Even my Windows Phone has one.

Those admittedly huge gripes aside, it's been a joy to use. I didn't imagine that the iPad 2's resolution would ever bother me, until I started using Flipboard on the Nexus 7. Now I actually have trouble using the App on iPad and it made me consider upgrading to a higher resolution device soon(Nexus 10?).

Widgets are wonderful and make iOS look static and old fashioned and I applaud Google for allowing people to buy stuff from stores other than their own. I've already downloaded Amazon marketplace for Android, bought an Indie Bundle outside Google Play and even a small thing like being able to get books in the Kindle application is appreciated. Next up I'll try to get a better feel for the OS and there's a good possibility that that will alleviate some of the problems I've been having. I also ordered a USB OTG cable to try out 360 and PS3 controllers on some of the games. Is there any way to see which games are compatible?

All in all a nice, handy and cheap device with some flaws that might be ironed out given time.

Polari

Bought a Nexus 7 last week and I mostly like it even if there's some obvious faults, though some of them might be due to my lack of understanding when it comes to Android. This - shamefully - is my first Android device. Three things that annoy me:

1: Battery. I'm getting 6-7 hours typically which is much less that I get on my iPad 2. It's not a huge problem, but it does mean that I have to carry the charger with me, if I wanna be sure not to run out. According to Carat part of the problem is my Live Galaxy Wallpaper that cost more than an hour battery time. I've tried a few other Live Wallpapers and I either get reduced battery time or a choppy interface when using them, which kind of makes them worthless(to me).

2: The browser is horrible. Really, there's no two ways around it. I know people say it's very smooth for an Android device, but compared to iOS or even Windows Phone this is choppy-ville. I tried Dolphin instead of Chrome and it improved responsiveness massively and added some nice features I didn't even know I was missing. How Google can ship with Chrome in this state I don't get. Dolphin does crash now and again, but it's still preferable to Chrome.

Btw is there any way to go to the top of the screen when browsing in Chrome and Dolphin(without drawing symbols)?

3: Lack of apps. Every review said it and with good reason. It's nice to see a section in Google Play dedicated to staff favorite tablet apps, but it's quite a lackluster selection. I'm especially disappointed that there's no CNN app. Even my Windows Phone has one.

Those admittedly huge gripes aside, it's been a joy to use. I didn't imagine that the iPad 2's resolution would ever bother me, until I started using Flipboard on the Nexus 7. Now I actually have trouble using the App on iPad and it made me consider upgrading to a higher resolution device soon(Nexus 10?).

Widgets are wonderful and make iOS look static and old fashioned and I applaud Google for allowing people to buy stuff from stores other than their own. I've already downloaded Amazon marketplace for Android, bought an Indie Bundle outside Google Play and even a small thing like being able to get books in the Kindle application is appreciated. Next up I'll try to get a better feel for the OS and there's a good possibility that that will alleviate some of the problems I've been having. I also ordered a USB OTG cable to try out 360 and PS3 controllers on some of the games. Is there any way to see which games are compatible?

All in all a nice, handy and cheap device with some flaws that might be ironed out given time.

There is a CNN app for tablets, although I haven't tried it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...YsImNvbS5jbm4ubW9iaWxlLmFuZHJvaWQudGFibGV0Il0.

It will be interesting to what (if any) improvements 4.2 brings to the device as far as battery life and performance are concerned. As for Chrome hopefully it will improve. Firefox might be worth a shot in addition to Dolphin.

bede-x

I don't think that works for Nexus 7. This is what I get when searching for it:

GxEwu.png

Firefox might be worth a shot in addition to Dolphin.

I'll give it a try.

sca2511

Does Firefox kind of stutter when you guys use it? It stutters for me when quickly scrolling through GAF, it's probably the only reason why I'm sticking to Chrome.

Emily Chu

Banned
Does Firefox kind of stutter when you guys use it? It stutters for me when quickly scrolling through GAF, it's probably the only reason why I'm sticking to Chrome.

both chrome and firefox suck ass for scrolling

I pretty much use only the Stock default Browser that comes with ASOP Roms and also xScope has a really nice night mode that blacks out everything.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I unlocked and rooted my Nexus 7 and am now re-installing my apps. When I try to install Instagram through the Play store, it says "not compatible" with my Nexus 7. Any idea how to fix this? It was working pre-root...

Considering the 4.2 OTA is probably due to hit in around a week or so, save the money. Android 4.2 has a swype-esk keyboard built in and it's quite fantastic (used it on my Galaxy Nexus)

Is there much of a difference from Swype? I'm using the beta on my Nexus and loving it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is there a better way to check download progress? From what I can tell the default download app tells me shit about download progress.

womp

1: Battery. I'm getting 6-7 hours typically which is much less than I get on my iPad 2. It's not a huge problem, but it does mean that I have to carry the charger with me, if I wanna be sure not to run out. According to Carat part of the problem is my Live Galaxy Wallpaper that cost more than an hour battery time. I've tried a few other Live Wallpapers and I either get reduced battery time or a choppy interface when using them, which kind of makes them worthless(to me).

1. Don't use live wallpapers. They serve no purpose besides eating battery and CPU and saying to friends "haha look at this, isn't this soooo cool?" no, they aren't and no it isn't. As you can see they are unfunctional. As a matter of fact, do one better and look not only for a static wallpaper but a darker one as well...Plus you can also turn off auto brightness which uses more power as well.

2. Use Boat browser to solve all of the problems you stated. As much as I love Chrome on the PC, the Android version still isn't the best it could be yet.

3. It isn't the lack of apps per say, it is the laziness of the devs to add device support. Unlike iOS (In many cases), Android apps don't need individual apps to perform on a phone vs. tablet usage. Flipboard on Android is a great popular offender because even on 7 or 10 inch tablets, it still sticks with the horrific phone UI which is not how it works on iOS. Once again, pure laziness. So now you are stuck flipping through one story/item at a time rather than having a multiple article spread as you can on iPad. The app sucks yet people (especially around here) seem to flock to it like it is god tier for whatever reason. My theory is because of the page flip animation. :p

Alex

I still like the stock jellybean browser best. Basicly a shell of chrome in that it syncs with desktop fare, but is way faster and I like its unique features, especially the thumb menus.

womp

I still like the stock jellybean browser best. Basicly a shell of chrome in that it syncs with desktop fare, but is way faster and I like its unique features, especially the thumb menus.

Hard to call it stock Jellybean browser when it isn't in a Nexus 7 running stock Jellybean.

But yes, I agree and I love the little thumb menus.

It's technically called AOSP browser and can be sideloaded into a Nexus 7 with a little wiggling though.

Same, especially since Google went through the very small trouble of updating the software to finally support a landscape home screen with the last OS update.

Would really love an official dock that can charge in landscape mode and one that i can sit my Nexus 7's in when I'm not using it. Google failed on that point bullet ;(

Blackhead

Redarse
Would really love an official dock that can charge in landscape mode and one that i can sit my Nexus 7's in when I'm not using it. Google failed on that point bullet ;(

Moreover docks should be a moneymaker. Cast a bit of plastic, add some holes, sell for $50. It boggles the mind a bit that Google seems utterly uninterested in making profit off hardware. They should have made available some accessories already.

bede-x

Does Firefox kind of stutter when you guys use it?

Yes.

1. Don't use live wallpapers. They serve no purpose besides eating battery and CPU and saying to friends "haha look at this, isn't this soooo cool?"

Agreed, they're not worth the battery and yet I can't always get myself to turn them off :)

2. Use Boat browser to solve all of the problems you stated.

Will give it a go. Aside from the crashes I like the Dolphin one. In fact I'm gonna try that one out on iOS as well.

Flipboard on Android is a great popular offender because even on 7 or 10 inch tablets, it still sticks with the horrific phone UI which is not how it works on iOS. Once again, pure laziness. So now you are stuck flipping through one story/item at a time rather than having a multiple article spread as you can on iPad. The app sucks

Aside from needing a better layout when choosing which story to read, I think it works very well even with a phone layout. And sometimes there's more than one story/page:

Nexus 7:
Ipad 2:

A tablet specific layout would be preferable of course and no doubt the iPad version is cooler, but calling the Nexus version sucky is going too far. The screen size and phone layout also allows you to use it one handed, something I hope they keep in mind when moving to a different layout.

Vyer

Just picked up a Nexus 7 16gb at Walmart and after a day of use I am not sure if I like it or not. Being primarily an Apple person(and Windows for gaming) I am a little let down. The experience doesn't feel as smooth as my iPad or iPhone. Its too bad as the hardware its self is beautiful and very well made. Going to give it a couple more days to decide if I will return for an iPad Mini.

The only downside to that may be the lower PPI of the Mini. However, if the tradeoff is losing the washed out colors and image retention of the Nexus, it may be worth it.

I've enjoyed the N7 as it's a good tablet and I wanted to spend more time with 'pure' Android. But yeah, for all the things I do with a tablet (browsing, media streaming, reading, gaming) it has been a poorer experience than our iPad. And that's without getting into stuff like tablet apps.

Still, the price is great (except when your $250 bucks suddenly goes farther after a hardware refresh only 3 months later >:[ ) and you would have to pay more for the Mini.

coopolon

2.Use Boat browser to solve all of the problems you stated. As much as I love Chrome on the PC, the Android version still isn't the best it could be yet

I just started using this after reading your post and so far i am pretty impressed. Thanks for recommending it, much smoother on a tablet than dolphin, i do miss the extra features though.

womp

Yes.

A tablet specific layout would be preferable of course and no doubt the iPad version is cooler, but calling the Nexus version sucky is going too far. The screen size and phone layout also allows you to use it one handed, something I hope they keep in mind when moving to a different layout.

I have an iPad 1 (Well, it belongs to the 5 year old) and know how it looks on there, 'sometimes' isn't good enough for me...Honestly, I think Feedly is the better choice on the Nexus 7. Give it a shot as well and see what you think. :)

coopolon

Does anyone have a nexus 7 and a larger smartphone (4.5 inches or so like the s3)? What do you find yourself doing on the nexus seven? Do you ever feel like one makes the other redundant?

Does anyone have a nexus 7 and a larger smartphone (4.5 inches or so like the s3)? What do you find yourself doing on the nexus seven? Do you ever feel like one makes the other redundant?

yeah, i have an n7 and a 4.5-inch sharp phone and there's tons of stuff i'd rather do on the former. reading books/articles, web browsing, watching video, two-pane layouts in email etc. i never really use my phone for anything at home these days, and i usually have a tablet on me outside the house as well.

i can't think of anything a phone is better at than a 7-inch tablet beyond fitting in your pocket and making phone calls.

Angelcurio

I downloaded the MX media player and it fails to play some of my avi content, it puts the name of the file with blues letters. Are there some other media player alternatives?

DoubleTap

Got one as an impulse buy. Very impressive for the price but I feel kinda "cheated" that I'm not getting a full 7" screen because of the top and bottom status/nav bars. Still happy with it and I'm thinking this will be used more than my iPad 2.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Got one as an impulse buy. Very impressive for the price but I feel kinda "cheated" that I'm not getting a full 7" screen because of the top and bottom status/nav bars. Still happy with it and I'm thinking this will be used more than my iPad 2.

Surely there's a way to tweak those bars with root and have them only pop up when necessary? If anybody knows a way to do that, I'm interested also...

Surely there's a way to tweak those bars with root and have them only pop up when necessary? If anybody knows a way to do that, I'm interested also...

Root and install custom rom. CM10 and AOKP both have expanded desktop feature.

Although if you want your Nexus 7 to fucking fly, then install Slim Bean. I use it on myoriginal Galazy S phone, and it runs so damn smooth. Comparedit tomy friends GS3, and they were equal when using the UI.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1846257

Thank me later when your N7 flys. He updates the rom very frequently.

Best rom I ever tried. The fact that Slim Bean is on the N7 almost made me choose it over the Tab 2 10.1. It is the best rom. Enjoy.

mr stroke

Just returned my Nexus 7 today for an iPad Mini for this reason. Hated the browser(and firefox) I love chrome on my PC but on the Nexus it is slow and choppy compared to my iphone and ipad. Love everything else about the Nexus 7 though. Really nice hardware for the money.

Top Bottom