• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Alex

I hate the current incantation of chrome, both pc and android, but there are several browsers on the nexus 7, which you can set default, that absolutely maim and kill safari on the iPad 2 and 3 to a ridiculous extent.

Safari is almost as shitty as chrome.

Vyer

I hate the current incantation of chrome, both pc and android, but there are several browsers on the nexus 7, which you can set default, that absolutely maim and kill safari on the iPad 2 and 3 to a ridiculous extent.

Safari is almost as shitty as chrome.

I've tried Dolphin and Firefox, now trying Boat. They are all better than Chrome definitely, but nothing so far sticks out as being particularly better than iPad Safari.

I do like how Boat handles the 'snap to top/bottom of page' though.

Retrocide

I have a question for people who have a Nexus 7, is it a good tablet for kids? My friend is looking for a good tablet for her 8 year old daughter.

So I bought a Nexus 7, somewhat impulsively, as I was just itching to throw money away on something for some reason. I thought there was a reasonable chance it wouldn't be my cup of tea, being a little too small, and the fact that I already had a touchpad with Android on it that I used fairly often, and I couldn't really see any reason I would use the Nexus 7 instead.

Still, I bought it, and I have been absolutely addicted to it more than any other gadget/smartphone I've ever used.

So, maybe it's already mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I decided to see if I could pair my HP Touchpad bluetooth keyboard to the nexus 7. I haven't used the thing in over a year, but the batteries in it are still working fine. It paired no problem, and I am typing this post with it right now onto my nexus. Works great. If anyone is looking for a cheap, slim, attractive and well made bluetooth keyboard with fantastic battery life, I suggest you see if anybody is selling one of these on ebay or something.

womp

She's thinking about getting the nook hd because she likes being able to go to a barnes and noble to get customer support. It also has good parental controls from what I can see.

Nexus 7 and this app...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5raWRkb3dhcmUua2lkc3BsYWNlIl0.

Works fantastic. Plus you have access to both Google Play, Nook and Amazon App store on one device.

You can tailor the thing to show only what you want her to see.

I got my five year old an iPad 1 on clearance a couple years ago and he has too much invested on it for my wife and I to bail on it for a Nexus 7 but he loves reading kids books on her Nook Color due to the smaller size. I considered ditching the iPad (The thing crashes like crazy) and getting him a 7 this Christmas so I tested the above app out on my 7 and it is a fantastic solution if you want to go that route.

Plus you'll get more out of a Nexus 7 a year or two down the road than you will out of a Fire IMO.

Vyer

She's thinking about getting the nook hd because she likes being able to go to a barnes and noble to get customer support. It also has good parental controls from what I can see.

That is a good point. Though on the other hand, if you're looking for a lot of content for kids the N7 is probably more likely to have a wider range of kids apps than the Nook or Fire. It depends on if that's something that's important to you.

I had bought the N7 intending on my son getting a lot of use out of it (and me getting my ipad back). Unfortunately there is a shitton of stuff for kids on the iPad released constantly so he pretty much ignores the Nexus. Still, I can't imagine it would be better on, say, Amazon's App Store as opposed to Google Play.

As for kids books, you could still go the Google Play and Kindle app route even if you get an N7. Only the Nook stuff I guess would be missing.

womp

The Nook app store isn't even an option IMO as someone who has an iPad, Nexus 7 and a Nook Color in the household. It is the absolute worst of the three.

Google Play and Amazon has plenty of kids stuff however, unfortunately there are still a lot of exclusives that you can only find on iPad though. Right now my 5 year old is absorbed in Jurassic Park builder for instance.

RevDM

Banned
Just returned my Nexus 7 today for an iPad Mini for this reason. Hated the browser(and firefox) I love chrome on my PC but on the Nexus it is slow and choppy compared to my iphone and ipad. Love everything else about the Nexus 7 though. Really nice hardware for the money.

Is this a serious post? There is Dolphin, Boat, and Opera too... Dolphin is fucking amazing.

ReconPeon

I got my nexus 7 last week, but it has some pretty bad light bleed problems. I'm going to try to exchange it tomorrow, but I was just wondering if any of you guys have this problem. It shows up as a faded bleached out sort of yellow when the screen is black.

The only thing is that I'm worried the next one may have the same problem or possibly be worse.

Talon

Is this a serious post? There is Dolphin, Boat, and Opera too... Dolphin is fucking amazing.
This exchange is probably the most emblematic of the differences between the platforms.

"Why is the out of box experience not smooth?"
"You have plenty of other options that you can replace the shitty native thing with!"

Hi guys, im considering buying a nexus 7 soon but i mainly stream video to my device via dlna and on the SG2 with CM9 that little guy plays everything i throws at it except WMV so i just wondering can the Nexus plays MKV, AVI without transcoding via dlna from my pc?

adroit

The only thing is that I'm worried the next one may have the same problem or possibly be worse.
I can definitely tell that the backlight is on (just like my notebook's display) but I wouldn't say it's white or yellow. I'd call it "illuminated black". It isn't going to be pitch-black like an OLED display, where the pixels themselves light up rather than being backlit.

I don't know if that helps any. Can you look at some display models in local stores to see if they all look the same? The ultra-bright lights in most retail stores might make that difficult, though.

ReconPeon

I can definitely tell that the backlight is on (just like my notebook's display) but I wouldn't say it's white or yellow. I'd call it "illuminated black". It isn't going to be pitch-black like an OLED display, where the pixels themselves light up rather than being backlit.

I don't know if that helps any. Can you look at some display models in local stores to see if they all look the same? The ultra-bright lights in most retail stores might make that difficult, though.

None of the stores near me even have them out on display. I bought mine from GameStop because it was the only place near me that had them. I definitely have very yellow spots around the bottom right hand corner and up the side when its in portrait mode. I think I'll try to exchange it tomorrow, but as I Google it, it seems that a lot of people had this issue. It is very noticible on the black screens such as the boot screen when it says Google as well as during movies with dark scenes.

Frustrating...

sca2511

This exchange is probably the most emblematic of the differences between the platforms.

"You have plenty of other options that you can replace the shitty native thing with!"
I guess. I'm still using the default apps that the N7 comes with.

coopolon

Picked one up tonight. So far I am impressed, I love the back, is the nexus 10 going to have this kind of back?

I was seriously concerned about the size, I have a pretty big phone, but it is pretty big and definitely more comfortable to use than my phone. still experimenting with different keyboards. I like swype on my phone but nexus feels too big for it, never been a big fan of SwiftKey but am giving it a try.

markot

Banned

I haven't replaced any, chrome is nice too >.<

adroit

I definitely have very yellow spots around the bottom right hand corner and up the side when its in portrait mode.
Yeah, that sounds wrong. I have no hot spots. I can tell the backlight is on but it's uniform. I hope GameStop gives you an exchange and your next one is OK.

coopolon

Curious people are having trouble with dolphin, so far it is working really well for me. Love the gestures and last pass integration.

Blackhead

Redarse

That's not entirely true. You get lots of recommendations for 'alternative' browsers on the iOS platforms too (iCab, Chrome, Atomic browser, Grazing etc). Safari was very poor for ages and still hasn't caught up in many ways. Indeed the people who laugh the most at the state of the official Twitter app on Android tablets would be the first to suggest that you grab Tweetbot on iOS instead of the official app. You can find good third-party twitter tablet apps on Android too (e.g Tweetcaster). The exchange is just emblematic of the myths about the platform:

Android is always slower than any Apple product.
Third party apps are best on Android

Yeah am surprised how lacking chrome was - using dolphin right now and things are going much better - won't launch some things through external apps though (was using chrome to link up my podcast manager and sites RSS feed but copy and
paste works just as well).

So am all set up now and m surprised how much I think i'll use this. No SD is alright as I of the 32gb and to my surprise its even easier to download straight to be the tablet which i didn't expect. File management is actually pretty easy.

Only downside is the reliance on apps ofc but there seem to be mostly everything I need just a hassle finding the right thing sometimes. But that's just about getting used to things.

Games wise - bad pigs is as dull as angry birds :-D but Rayman is awesome and world of goo ports awesomely - 3d gaming is as hilariously stupid as I expected though :D

Also is there a redo/undo function with the native keyboard?

coopolon

That's not entirely true. You get lots of recommendations for 'alternative' browsers on the iOS platforms too (iCab, Chrome, Atomic browser, Grazing etc). Safari was very poor for ages and still hasn't caught up in many ways. Indeed the people who laugh the most at the state of the official Twitter app on Android tablets would be the first to suggest that you grab Tweetbot on iOS instead of the official app. You can find good third-party twitter tablet apps on Android too (e.g Tweetcaster). The exchange is just emblematic of the myths about the platform:

Can you make third party browsers default on ios?

giga

Dear god Tweetcaster is ugly.

eso76

i don't understand the choppy complaints i've read here and elsewhere.
Maybe i only visit little demanding sites, but it's always been butter smooth for me, except gaf pages with 100 gifs.

Jenov

I'm going to hold out and wait for some black friday deals on this. Would be great to pick up a 32gb nexus 7 for under 200.

Cigol

i don't understand the choppy complaints i've read here and elsewhere.
Maybe i only visit little demanding sites, but it's always been butter smooth for me, except gaf pages with 100 gifs.
Yeah and to be fair my desktop PC is struggling with these at the moment in Chrome.

I've used the default browser on iPhones (3G, 4, 4S) and Android, and I don't see the big difference, they each have their quirks but I'm not seeing any massive differences except in the way they display and operate. Are we talking about using it on wifi or what?

Alex

Safari is as iffy as Chrome is, neither is that choppy or terrible, at least on an iPad 3 or a nexus 7 but neither is what i would consider a good browser compared to alternatives in their current incantation. The difference being you can take five seconds to replace the default browser on android.

This is the kind of stuff and the defense of it as well that makes me want entirely off the Apple boat, where downloading a two meg browser and clicking yes, just as a side option, is seen as this daunting task.

And yes, desktop Chrome isn't doing so hot either, I'm having more problems with it on win 7 that I did with it on android, even. I'm having across the board issues with it, myself, especially on gif files. Considering heading back to Firefox until Google wants to clean it up.

For mobile, I still think across the iPad 2, 3 & the nexus 7, the stock jellybean browser is the best and fastest I've used. No idea why they'd swap it to generic chrome or at just relabel it as chrome if that's their gig. It clearly had some of the same boons as chrome in the ui and syncing my bookmarks, but then its just faster, smoother and has full screen and thumb menus.

_Isaac

I just got Boat Browser. I can't really see a difference between this and Chrome other than it being uglier. I guess I'll use it a bit more to see what it can do.

hemtae

I just got Boat Browser. I can't really see a difference between this and Chrome other than it being uglier. I guess I'll use it a bit more to see what it can do.

I really like the fullscreen mode and some of the addons. I however dislike the fact that I can't get the swiftkey predictions on anything I type.

Replicant

After that awful review of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, I guess I'm back to looking at Nexus 7 as my possible tablet purchase. I'm just not sure if 7 inch is big enough though. If only Nexus 10 has the same design as 7 instead of having weird-looking tray-shape.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah and to be fair my desktop PC is struggling with these at the moment in Chrome.

I've used the default browser on iPhones (3G, 4, 4S) and Android, and I don't see the big difference, they each have their quirks but I'm not seeing any massive differences except in the way they display and operate. Are we talking about using it on wifi or what?

Ditto and this goes for Tablets as well. I just don't see a massive difference between them all.

After that awful review of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, I guess I'm back to looking at Nexus 7 as my possible tablet purchase. I'm just not sure if 7 inch is big enough though. If only Nexus 10 has the same design as 7 instead of having weird-looking tray-shape.

but the Nexus 10 has the same design as the Galaxy Note 10.1

fritolay

I'm looking to get a tablet for Christmas. Should I get the Nexus 7 or are there other black friday deals that are competitive you would recommend?

Replicant

but the Nexus 10 has the same design as the Galaxy Note 10.1

Is it? tbh the design of Galaxy Note 10.1 is also my least favorite part of the tablet. I just wanted the wacom pen of it so I can draw and if it had been good, I could probably shrug off the unpleasant aesthetic of the tablet. But without it, I'm not really sure. I guess I have to see Nexus 10 in a shop myself to see if I like the design or not. Between Galaxy Note 10.1 and Nexus 7, I definitely prefer Nexus 7's design. It's just nicer and less...rounded on the edge.

EDIT: I just realized that my ideal tablet look would have been a 10 inch version of iPhone 4. The same thickness and round edge but with metal finish on the back and a wacom pen. And none of the weird beveling that exists on iPad1-4. Also with less thicker black border than what it is on current iPad but not as thin as iPad mini. Someone make this design, stat!

I was debating whether or not to get a Surface or TF700 + keyboard dock vs. getting the N7 and the new chromebook, any opinions on this one?

Top Bottom