• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

chrislowe

Ive got an ipad gen 1 with targus cover. It wheights 1.2kg which is to heavy to hold with one hand in bed. Ive ordered a nexus 7 32gb which wheights 900gram less, and om not gonna use any cover on that on. And the rubbery makes it easier to hold, the ipad is slippery.

coopolon

I was debating whether or not to get a Surface or TF700 + keyboard dock vs. getting the N7 and the new chromebook, any opinions on this one?

My experience with the tf700 was very negative. While the display and design are all good, the actual tablet is much slower than the ipad or the nexus 7 with regular lag and stutters. So I would definitely say chromebook and n7.

it is actually not a bad idea, I should go play with a chromebook somewhere.

Ydahs

With the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 releasing in the next couple of days, is it safe to assume Android 4.2 will also be out this week too?

I bought my Nexus7 at a retailer about a month ago or so now and it didn't come with the regional attachment (Australia) for my charger. Is there anywhere I can buy this from OR potentially get Asus to send me one free? I haven't gone through customer service yet and the retailer I bought it from don't seem to have any more stock or anything. The box was sealed if it makes a difference and the piece was just missing.

RevDM

Banned
It's feeling less sturdy than when I first bought it. If I squeeze it or manipulate it, the casing pops. Happening for anyone else?

ReconPeon

It's feeling less sturdy than when I first bought it. If I squeeze it or manipulate it, the casing pops. Happening for anyone else?

No casing pops or squeaks yet.

Is it suffering from the screen lifting issue?

I have been reading a bunch of forums where people are discussing this, and I'm kind of worried about it since I just got mine last week.

The left side of my screen sits almost exactly even with the silver border while the right side sits below it. I am hoping it won't lift higher than the boarder after a while, but I am kind of worried that it will.

adroit

My launch model is fine but I've squeezed it a grand total of zero times (and that total isn't going to change). If you give the thing a good squeeze every day (or hour) I wouldn't be surprised if it starts loosening up over time. I always palm the tablet. I never pinch it with my thumb to hold it.

ReconPeon

By the way, has anyone bought one of these cases?

135-650x390.png

I think I may get one.

vdlow

Ok guys, 4.2 is out, at least if you want to install the zip file.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/13/android-4-2-build-jop40c-rolling-out-to-the-nexus-7-now-manual-download-link-available/

I'm at work right now and there will be a good 7~8 hours until I'm home. I want to see if we have multiple user accounts and the lock screen widgets!

Originally Posted by farmerbb on XDA Developers said:
It's pretty awesome. Performance wise the entire system feels so much smoother. The fonts also render a bit bolder, which look better in my opinion. And yes, multi user support is enabled for us.

That London Underground case is pretty sweet!

Just posting to say that GAME in the UK are doing trade in deals for credit against Nexus 7. They'll take an Xbox 360 for example, and charge £49 for the Nexus 7. Still not great, given you can probably sell your 360 for more than £100, but an interesting promotion for them to be doing none the less

markot

Banned
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I cant get it to work >_< maybe its cause im on windows 8... but whenever I try to sideload it just ignores it.... feh!

Has anybody received the ota update for 4.2 yet?

Nope, I've been constantly checking since I heard it went live too.

It took a good week just to get the 4.1.2 update for me though so I might just cave and sideload it when I get home.

*Edit* Uk by the way.

RevDM

Banned
I guess this is a good time to ask, I downloaded rootkeeper. How do I use it?

I opened it and did "protect root"

Now it's giving me the option to temp unroot. Do I wait for the ota to be ready? Does nexus automatically update or do I have to grant permission?

Thanks in advance.

JonnyBrad

Side loaded it. Gmail zoom is off by default so go into the options and turn it on.

Also they have gone with notifications swiping down the left hand side and settings on the right hand side. Its fine in landscape but its fucking stupid in portrait. I keep opening the bloody quick settings bar.

vdlow

Has anybody received the ota update for 4.2 yet?

I haven't heard of anyone who received the OTA update yet. It's probably coming in the next few days.

I guess this is a good time to ask, I downloaded rootkeeper. How do I use it?

I opened it and did "protect root"

Now it's giving me the option to temp unroot. Do I wait for the ota to be ready? Does nexus automatically update or do I have to grant permission?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I remember, you choose protect root and then it "saves" your root state. Once you update your device for a newer version, if you lose your root, you only have to open the app and choose "restore" or something like that.

derExperte

Side loaded it. Gmail zoom is off by default so go into the options and turn it on.

Also they have gone with notifications swiping down the left hand side and settings on the right hand side. Its fine in landscape but its fucking stupid in portrait. I keep opening the bloody quick settings bar.

Really? I thought the idea that you can pull down the settings with a two-finger gesture was great but I didn't realize it also happens when you swipe down normally on the right. That's indeed very inconvenient. Maybe there's a setting for this somewhere?

vdlow

Actually, the quick settings work different in phones and tablets.

Phones-> swipe down once and you get notifications, swipe again and you have quick settings. Swipe with two fingers and go direct to quick settings.

Tablets-> swipe down from the right side and you get quick settings. Left side is notifications. Nothing configurable, at least for now.

And I don't know if someone here besides me used the hack to change the UI to tablet UI, but now it's almost pointless since the notification bar and the "button bar", which were the same in 4.1 tablet UI, now are separated just like the stock Nexus 7.

JonnyBrad

Really? I thought the idea that you can pull down the settings with a two-finger gesture was great but I didn't realize it also happens when you swipe down normally on the right. That's indeed very inconvenient. Maybe there's a setting for this somewhere?

That's how it works on phones where the notification pane covers the whole screen. There isn't a setting to change it to centered AFAIK.

Plasmid

I don't want to pay $$$ for an ipad because i have an iphone 4, but i really do want a tablet, is this a good enough tablet to start me off? if not what is?

Never understood why people would put that hideous thing on their devices unless they worked in construction or something like that.

Cause when stuff falls or gets something dropped onto them they rather have that piece of mind that they won't have to shell out $200+ to re-buy the broken item.

Otterboxes while bulky are one of the best enclosures out there.

Plasmid

I went out and got the $249 32 GB. It's my first tablet and i have to say it's actually really nice, it's pretty fast, and so clear. Just a few questions.

What's out there in the hacking community? I've jailbroken my iphones plenty etc, what's there for the N7?

What are some reccomended apps? i'm getting hulu, netflix, reddit, some note taking apps, etc.

zero_suit

I went out and got the $249 32 GB. It's my first tablet and i have to say it's actually really nice, it's pretty fast, and so clear. Just a few questions.

What's out there in the hacking community? I've jailbroken my iphones plenty etc, what's there for the N7?

What are some reccomended apps? i'm getting hulu, netflix, reddit, some note taking apps, etc.
Apps- Feedly, MX Player, Ultimate Rotation Control, Rdio, Tablified Market
Boat Browser is better than Chrome.

vdlow

Man, talk about someone that saw his Nexus lost in the limbo just a few minutes ago. lol

I'm kidding about the lost in the limbo part because I knew I could recover it, but what happened is that I restored my original build.prop file, and rebooted the tablet, so I could install 4.2. But after the Google logo, the screen went black. I wouldn't turn on.

I used the cmd on Windows and pushed the update file to the Nexus 7, since I couldn't just plug it and copy the file, and installed via CWM. It worked! Now I'm tasting the new flavor of Jelly Bean!

And even though I miss the pixel density of the tablet UI, I'll stick with the original Nexus 7 dpi for now. Let's see if I can get used to it.

I'm still getting used to have a right side to swipe and see my notifications, but it's just a matter of time until I'm 100% used to it. Quick notifications are a nice touch, and the lockscreen widgets have a lot of potential. Still, we only have gmail, Google Agenda and the clock to use on the lockscreen. I want more Google! I want to see my twitter timeline there, so I hope someone creates a widget for this ASAP.

My Nexus 7 16GB has little black marks on the screen and blown speakers. Trying to get an exchange from Carphone Warehouse but they don't have one anywhere in the north west, pretty much. Hope I can get a new one. :p

vdlow

OK, am I the only one who thinks that Chrome is way faster in 4.2? A page full of gifs is scrolling incredibly faster than before.

Salaadin

One of the best things about that cheapo case I got from Amazon is the elastic strap on the back. Both Seidio and Otterbox dont have one :(

Polari

So that 4.2 speed bump should apply to the older N7s since the hardware is the same aside from the 3G radio and storage space, right? Not that my wife's N7 has been slow at all, but it's a nice bonus to get a performance jump like that for free.

No. The memory in the 32GB is faster.

Zeth

What was the service that you could quit to get the update? It was a trick that worked for the last update. Android Services Framework?

mannerbot

So that 4.2 speed bump should apply to the older N7s since the hardware is the same aside from the 3G radio and storage space, right? Not that my wife's N7 has been slow at all, but it's a nice bonus to get a performance jump like that for free.

The launch 16GB N7 was faster than the 8GB as well. It's a hardware thing.

Cause when stuff falls or gets something dropped onto them they rather have that piece of mind that they won't have to shell out $200+ to re-buy the broken item.

Otterboxes while bulky are one of the best enclosures out there.

using an otterbox to protect your stuff is like wearing a full chainmail undergarment and a plate armor over it because you might get stabbed someday

coopolon

Wouldn't it more practical to compare the 16gb and 32gb since those are the two models almost everyone is choosing between now? I have the 32 and was planning on returning and going with the 16, but if there are significant speed differences I might stick with the 32.

Top Bottom