• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Blackhead

Redarse
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/googles-nexus-7-gets-a-fresh-coat-of-paint-for-the-holidays/
Arstechnica said:
Android 4.2 on the Nexus 7 has no major surprises: all of the features we mentioned in our review are here, with the exception of Miracast (which is only supported on the Nexus 4 for the time being) and the new camera features (which are present if you install a third-party camera launcher for the front-facing camera). Multiuser support and lock screen widgets, two features that weren't ready in time for our main review, are also here, but we'll be examining them more closely in a separate article.
Google Nexus 7 with mobile data review Or, why I'm never buying a Wi-Fi tablet again
TheVerge said:
The name "Nexus 7 with mobile data" is a clunky mouthful, but it's perfectly appropriate — this tablet is the Nexus 7 with a little bit of connectivity grafted onto it. This tablet is exactly, utterly the same as the tablet we reviewed in June, save for a tiny cut-out rectangle about a third of the way up the left side

So... no phone and messaging apps for the Nexus tablets? :(

Is it a good time to buy one of these? This would be the first Android product I've ever purchased, but this seems perfect for e-mail and reading articles/PDFs (speaking of which, do they have a good PDF reader?).

VoxPop

Are there any Apple smart cover like case for the Nexus 7 that's not hideous? Preferably a knockoff that looks exactly the same in a variety of colors? Don't want any with a snap on back or anything like that. Thanks!

Talon

Are there any Apple smart cover like case for the Nexus 7 that's not hideous? Preferably a knockoff that looks exactly the same in a variety of colors? Don't want any with a snap on back or anything like that. Thanks!
Well, considering it doesn't have magnets on the side a la the iPad, you'll have to settle with one that snaps somewhere.

your fellow gaffers recommended this, works as a smart cover, but it can't peak open just by flipping it up a little, has to be flipped all the way back for the screen to turn on

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Portfolio-Automatically-Manufacturer/dp/B008NMCPTQ

Threi

notag
I thought my ebay case looked slick... :(

coopolon

I just got the update ota. I like the new pull down menus, but the new keyboard is inferior to swype and SwiftKey at first glance.

Edit: appears to have broken dolphin beta though.

Dunlop

Anyone played The Bard's Tale on the N7?

Picked it up because it was half price, downloaded the 3.5GB HD pack and played for a good 10 minutes but then the screen would go black I had power the thing off to get back to my home screen

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Debating between the 7 and 10. For those who have used both sizes what do you recommend. Primary use will be in the house browsing and playing a few games here an there.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Ordered the 32GB N7 when it was on sale on eBay the other day. Looking forward to seeing how Chrome runs on it (never bothered installing it on my ICS phone).

saunderez

Anyone played The Bard's Tale on the N7?

Picked it up because it was half price, downloaded the 3.5GB HD pack and played for a good 10 minutes but then the screen would go black I had power the thing off to get back to my home screen

I have but I got the SD pack. Works fine on my end so I'm not sure what's happening on yours.

Vyer

Debating between the 7 and 10. For those who have used both sizes what do you recommend. Primary use will be in the house browsing and playing a few games here an there.

For those uses, it's a question of whether you want the screen size/resolution and whether the added cost/weight is worth it.

markot

Banned
For internetting I would get the 7 incher.

But for movies and crap, watching tv, youtubes... etc... 10.

Also with a decent keyboard dock thingy you can generally use a 10 incher for productivity...

Xena

I got the 32GB today at a local Walmart... loving it so far! I ripped my Xena dvds to mp4 since their store doesn't have eps, and they are playing just fine! Kinda bummed I had to buy another software just to do this but oh well! Now I can rip my other DVDs as well if I so desire to watch on my N7.

I do have a bit of a problem reading certain PDF files though, and I would appreciate any help; on my laptop it says something about enabling "adobe flash player" in order to see slide animations on said PDF file. So when I try to view on my N7, it opens, then automatically closes the file. Is there any workaround? All I have downloaded so far is the Adobe Reader and Kindle app.

Love the size, the screen... it's beautiful! I have an iphone, and I rarely go to app store and such so I'm not bothered about the "lack of apps" websites point out all the time, especially because I'm still playing games exclusively on my handhelds DS and Vita. Plus, it's good to try new things and this is my first android device.

It fits perfectly in the cargo pocket of my NWU, so I'm all set for my deployment and I will sure get a lot of entertainment out of this device! I just wish they allowed us to connect an external HD so that I could have access to more media stuff but I realize you can't have it all!

Got mine as well. Ota. I like it. Text is definitely more bold. I like the gmail improvement. I also like the left swipe, right swipe feature.

well I just turned wifi on, it's been in a bag all day so I had it turned off, went and checked system update and sure enough it's already a third of the way downloaded

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Manually installed the OTA through adb on my sister's N7. The multiple account functionality is awesome.

It fits perfectly in the cargo pocket of my NWU, so I'm all set for my deployment and I will sure get a lot of entertainment out of this device! I just wish they allowed us to connect an external HD so that I could have access to more media stuff but I realize you can't have it all!

WiFi HDDs ... you can have it all!!

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

Wireless streaming storage for your tablet

The Seagate Satellite™ device lets you take your media library on-the-go and stream it wirelessly to your iPad®, Android® tablets, and smartphones.

Take more than 300 HD movies on-the-go*
Stream media over Wi-Fi to 8 devices at the same time
Automatically sync media and documents from your PC or Mac computer
Easily access and stream your media using the free app or your device’s web browser
Up to 7 hours battery life**

Seagate-GoFlex-Satellite-Mobile-Wireless-Storage-copia-650x487.jpg

Going from the excessively bulky and heavy (by today's standards) HP Touchpad at 10" to the N7, I will tell you personally that besides the loss of the Touchpad's superior speakers, I like the form and function of a 7 inch tablet in every way. It's just more comfortable and the screen is big enough.

Though I was playing machinarium the other day and had some trouble clicking on and seeing some of the small objects. Still, I suspect occurrences like this will be rare. Also, mobile apps still look good on the 7 and the 7 is cheaper. It would be my pick, personally.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
For internetting I would get the 7 incher.

But for movies and crap, watching tv, youtubes... etc... 10.

Also with a decent keyboard dock thingy you can generally use a 10 incher for productivity...

Thanks. Its a hard choice but I have the choice to get one for my birthday. This also will be the family tablet with some of the uses being it carried around with videos for the baby to see.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow this lock screen is ugly as hell. WTF.

Also not a fan of having to swipe down from the top left to get to notifications instead of quick settings. Also also, not a fan that the notification panel is only as big as the amount of notifications instead of always being "max length."

Need more time to figure out performance.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium

Also not a fan of having to swipe down from the top left to get to notifications instead of quick settings. Also also, not a fan that the notification panel is only as big as the amount of notifications instead of always being "max length."

Yeah not liking the lock screen with widgets. I am playing with it on the Gnex and unless im missing something but now to get to settings I have to swipe down and click the upper left icon then click settings. Previously one swipe down then settings. I know there is the 2 finger swipe but I would have to use both hands.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

but quick settings are still there if you pull down from the right side or am I misunderstanding you?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Ended up side loading the update instead of waiting for the OTA.

That new clock is so ugly - not sure what they were thinking - but the text in Chrome etc is slightly bolder which is much nicer.

Top Bottom