• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Salaadin

So is googles swype as good as the other swype?
How does swyping work on a tablet? I imagine that its not as good as holding your phone in one hand and swying with your thumb.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
someone post a pic of the clock please

Before:

Screenshot_2012-11-02-15-42-52.png

After:

Screenshot_2012-11-13-22-53-48.png

Edit- LOL the second status bar clock is back. Good job Mattias, you killed it for one version before bringing it back.

Getting used to the new UI now. One thing I'm absolutely all for is the user profiles. I set one up for my girlfriend since she picks up my tablet all the time. Now she can have her own settings and wallpaper and such. I also made a third account called "Guest" because when people see a tablet on a table they always want to play with it. Well... here you go!

BFIB

I may just be crazy, but it seems like the screen is "zoomed" back a little. I just pulled up a magazine, and it seems like it is a lot easier to read, the text looks sharper. Its hard to describe, anyone else notice this?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I may just be crazy, but it seems like the screen is "zoomed" back a little. I just pulled up a magazine, and it seems like it is a lot easier to read, the text looks sharper. Its hard to describe, anyone else notice this?

You're not the only one. I have yet to use my N7 a lot since the update though so I haven't noticed it yet.

eso76

Must be so, since the backdrop had two black bars left and right, it was suddenly too short for 5 screens, until I changed it and reverted back to the one I had.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
... I never realised the nav-bar clock was back on the lock screen.

Jesus, how did they forget to remove that?

And they took it out for 4.1! I can't believe we're taking steps backwards in design now. (Though that was obvious when they added that horrid gray background to the Google search widget...)

Quake1028

How is the screen on this thing? I would be using it 90% of the time for the Kindle app. iPad 3 is just getting too heavy for long reading sessions. I think 7" might be perfect and the price is great.

RevDM

Banned
Talking about zooming, why does this thing zoom so far in for backgrounds? It's impossible to find a good wallpaper

BFIB

I'm liking the changes so far. I just went and read over a few pages on my Xbox magazine, and I can definitely tell there's a difference in the font and overall display.

I also pulled up the newest Action Comics and confirmed that before I was doing pane-by-pane, and now I can view full pages without any issues with the text.

Good work Google! No more pinching and zooming everywhere.

How is the screen on this thing? I would be using it 90% of the time for the Kindle app. iPad 3 is just getting too heavy for long reading sessions. I think 7" might be perfect and the price is great.
Why not buy a Kindle if you use it almost exclusively for reading?

The screen is fine, though.

And the 4.2 Swype thingy is amazing. I just have to force myself not to forget to use it.

edit: I like how the quick settings show you the battery percentage. That's one less widget I need.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
The clock looks terrible, but I remembered I don't even use a lockscreen. I like flipping open my smartcover and being instantly on my homepage to look at widgets.

Still no OTA update here, but looks like it'll be worth it for the sharper text

It's still there at the bottom. I suppose they separated just in case you wanted to unlock just for that but I don't see the point either.

markot

Banned
I like the clock.

I dont get why google now is now in its own little circle >.>

Widgets and pages kinda suck for the lock screen too though, they should just have little notifications, for calender, email and crap on one screen under the clock.

Neo Child

Banned
just gone from ipad/iphone and got a nexus 7 omg love it so much, only thing is it locks up sometimes randomly but so many more features like an actual pc sorta

markot

Banned
I just installed cm10 on my galaxy s2, I love the lock screen for it, I kinda want google to copy that.

This is on a phone though.

12%2B-%2B1

Ydahs

I just installed cm10 on my galaxy s2, I love the lock screen for it, I kinda want google to copy that.

This is on a phone though.

12%2B-%2B1

I read that FM radio doesn't work on the S2 under cm10. Is that true? I really want to upgrade from Samsung's awful Touchwiz but I regularly listen to FM radio on the train so it's kinda a requirement for me.

Finally got Google music up and running to stream from onto my phone and nexus 7 (I’m an idiot and didn’t realise I had to go into settings and press sync on google play music)

Anyway this is really good so far, can anyone recommend any good but not too expensive wifi speakers/system (in the UK) I could get to stream from my handset/nexus 7 to the speakers?

Thanks

markot

Banned
I read that FM radio doesn't work on the S2 under cm10. Is that true? I really want to upgrade from Samsung's awful Touchwiz but I regularly listen to FM radio on the train so it's kinda a requirement for me.

It doesnt have an fm radio app built in, and I tried to download one from the app store but that doesnt work either >.< I never listen to radio so its no problem for me.

It doesnt have an fm radio app built in, and I tried to download one from the app store but that doesnt work either >.< I never listen to radio so its no problem for me.

The FM radio in my S1 did not work under custom roms either, I think the radio driver was propreitary and so seperate binaries were never available. I never tried but I was told an app called spirit FM could get it working again, check it out might work on your S2

Top Bottom