• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

markot

Banned
The FM radio in my S1 did not work under custom roms either, I think the radio driver was propreitary and so seperate binaries were never available. I never tried but I was told an app called spirit FM could get it working again, check it out might work on your S2

Ok, downloaded a free version from XDA and it seems to work on my GS2 with CM10! Got triple J and a few other canberra stations. Its a paid app on the app store though too.

Lots of happy GS2 customers too in the reviews.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5taWtlcnNtaWNyb3MuZm1fbGkiXQ..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=13385163

mrklaw

MrArseFace
possibly an odd question, but how is the marketplace for puzzle apps? Was thinking to get my parents an ipad mini or ipad 2 because they love puzzles and currently only have a DS to play them on. But they aren't in any app ecosystem so I figured a more affordable nexus might be a better option.

Plus I might actually be able to get my mum to use email - she doesn't use a computer at all but if I set the tablet up for her it should be easy enough to use - right?

DagsJT

possibly an odd question, but how is the marketplace for puzzle apps? Was thinking to get my parents an ipad mini or ipad 2 because they love puzzles and currently only have a DS to play them on. But they aren't in any app ecosystem so I figured a more affordable nexus might be a better option.

Plus I might actually be able to get my mum to use email - she doesn't use a computer at all but if I set the tablet up for her it should be easy enough to use - right?

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=puzzle&c=apps

Ydahs

panda21

i'm kind of miffed that my 7 still hasn't got 4.2. i thought the whole point of the nexus was that barring the carrier fucked versions they were all the same and google pushes out updates straight away.

so whats taking them so long with mine that is exactly the same as all the others?

RevDM

Banned
i'm kind of miffed that my 7 still hasn't got 4.2. i thought the whole point of the nexus was that barring the carrier fucked versions they were all the same and google pushes out updates straight away.

so whats taking them so long with mine that is exactly the same as all the others?

You're not getting a fucked version. It's just that google, arguably the largest name on the Internet, doesn't seem to have server capacity to roll out updates all at once. Did I mention your gmail account is growing in size as we speak?

You're not getting a fucked version. It's just that google, arguably the largest name on the Internet, doesn't seem to have server capacity to roll out updates all at once. Did I mention your gmail account is growing in size as we speak?

it's how they roll out every device update. takes a week, starts slowly, ramps up. i don't feel sorry for anyone who waits for OTA when they can just dl it and update manually.

vdlow

I have no problems with the new lockscreen and I actually like the new clock widget.

But, is there a way to use any other widgets beside Gmail and Calendar on the lockscreen?

markot

Banned
I have no problems with the new lockscreen and I actually like the new clock widget.

But, is there a way to use any other widgets beside Gmail and Calendar on the lockscreen?
I think they need to be updated to support it, there is one called beautiful clock widget that works, but none of my other widgets work.

vdlow

I think they need to be updated to support it, there is one called beautiful clock widget that works, but none of my other widgets work.

Hmmm, understood. I hope the adoption of lockscreen widgets is faster than expandable notifications.

A stable build of CyanogenMod 10 just hit last night for the Nexus 7. Wiped the 4.2 update out of my system and installed CM10 on it. Got my tablet UI back, looks great, and it feels faster too. I'm a believer of CM now
3AQmK.gif

I downloaded xScope. I'm impressed.

There is a lot about Chrome I like. But the lack of full screen mode is killer, and Boat, Dolphin and xScope all offer significantly better performance.

Edit: Drats. xScope doesn't play nicely with Swype at times. Back to Dolphin. I like Boat, but wish it had quicker access to bookmarks.

I just installed cm10 on my galaxy s2, I love the lock screen for it, I kinda want google to copy that.

This is on a phone though.

12%2B-%2B1

This looks so damn good. I usually don't get too bothered by updates, but I can't stand the new lock screen/widgets. The calendar and gmail widgets take up way too much space and show you almost nothing if you put them on the first screen. I'd take the old version back at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you have two separate email icons on the homescreen/s - with different accounts set up for each? and do notifications pop up on the icons like in ios? If I set one up for my parents I'd like to set them up with email addresses and a nice simple button they can press to go to their own inbox.

coopolon

You're talking about a week delay while it just rolls out to everyone. On carriers you're talking about months, normally many many months, and you also get cut off way earlier than necessary (look at HTC not updating any devices with less than 512mb of RAM to 4.1).

Mordeccai

To clarify, when I DL a system update my bootloader remains unlocked but I loose root correct? Its not that big of an issue when I have the root toolkit, makes it so easy to reroot.

edit: I am having the same issues with the Nova dock. Restarted the launcher and nothing. Just going to uninstall for now.

There's a 4.2 update for Nova that fixes it. Also there's a root keeper app that let's you restore root with one touch, OTA Rootkeeper I think it's called.

Mordeccai

Just rerooted with the toolkit, no problem. And got the update so Nova works fine now.

Sigh, now to fall back into the rabbit hole of homescreen customization, might try to make my GNex and 7 match up.

tino

Banned
This looks so damn good. I usually don't get too bothered by updates, but I can't stand the new lock screen/widgets. The calendar and gmail widgets take up way too much space and show you almost nothing if you put them on the first screen. I'd take the old version back at this point.

This kind of lock screen has exist for MIUI since android 2.3, you guys should be able to find a good english MIUI rom for any google device.

RevDM

Banned
I think they fixed the settings swipe right to left issue. Now if you swipe down from the tip left you get notifications. Swipe down from top right you get settings

coopolon

I am looking for a case that is like the Apple smart cover in that it protects the screen when closed but easily comes off when using it and easily goes back on when done. Does not have to be able to fold up like a stand nor does it have to wake up the nexus when opening. I it just seems like all the most popular covers are full body cases which I hate, and they destroy the aesthetics of the device.

Shit, display is not working anymore I am on 4.2 since this morning...

suddenly there was some serious input lag followed by the display simply not working anymore.

Oh and it's making sometimes weird sounds as it's possessed by the devil.

:/

RevDM

Banned
can you have two separate email icons on the homescreen/s - with different accounts set up for each? and do notifications pop up on the icons like in ios? If I set one up for my parents I'd like to set them up with email addresses and a nice simple button they can press to go to their own inbox.

I guess I'm kind of an outlier because I don't mind the clock so much. What I don't like though, is the scrolling personal information. My name and phone number is not a fucking stock ticker.

Question about GPS: could I take this to Europe with me and use it to get around? Will it account for public transit like the iPhone used to?

Top Bottom