• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm rooted so I ran the root keeper app, but trying to update from stock gives me the red exclamation android screen. I experimented with unrooting and updating, everything went fine, but couldn't root again after 4.1.2 for some reason. What should I try?

Google Play is SHIT! Ordered on the 13th, still no tracking number. Two calls to customer support yields no resolution.

Amazon > Google

Mordeccai

Holy shit, the new alarm clock app is awesome. It's so sexy, really digging the little changes in this update. Swipe keyboard is really nice as well. Also love the animations, recent key now pulls the window into the menu very fluidly and displays your wallpaper behind it, clicking an app also has a smooth transition.

Overall; <3 android. It still blows my mind to remember using my OG Droid.

coopolon

I really hope swype is making a lot of money from Google with this new keyboard. So many people will think googles inferior version is great and never use swype. Of course, first they have to patch it to work with 4.2.

I really hope swype is making a lot of money from Google with this new keyboard. So many people will think googles inferior version is great and never use swype. Of course, first they have to patch it to work with 4.2.

:/ I like the google version more probably as it predicts my own language of use better than swype. Also swype was such an pain in the ass to install as beta version...

coopolon

That's me. What makes Swype so much better?

Swype is better at figuring out which word I meant, when you screw up a word and click on it swype remembers what you were typing in at the time and will often have the right word in the top so you can just click it, and swype has a lot of cool keyboard shortcuts.

I will admit that if you want a keyboard that you can both use your thumbs and swype the Google one might be better because thumb typing in swype is not that great.

coopolon

I see. Maybe I'll give Swype a try, but so far I'm really happy with the Google version. I am in fact using it to type this post. It's wonderful!

Well, Swype is currently broken on 4.2 so there's not much you could do even if you wanted. And the earlier posted is correct about it being a pain to install, you have to go to the website to get the app and before you can download it you have to sign up. So they aren't doing themselves any favors.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm just testing this new swipe feature and I'm really liking it myself. It's really accurate and fast and I feel it doesn't even require me to think about where i'm swiping and even if I swipe incorrectly by stopping too soon or late it manages to type the correct word. It's amazing.

Mordeccai

Yeah I used swype for a long time when it first came out so I'm not worried. The beta system does indeed make it difficult to religiously use.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I've been having lots of issues with the official YouTube app, at HQ it hardly loads more than five seconds before buffering again, and the mobile website is far from ideal. Anyone have any good suggestions for an alternative app? on my iPhone and iPad I've been using Jasmine, which is great, is there something similar for the Nexus 7?

Salaadin

Still waiting on this update. Second time Ive had to wait days for the update like this :\

Yeah I used swype for a long time when it first came out so I'm not worried. The beta system does indeed make it difficult to religiously use.

I always run into issues with Swype on my GNex. Not enough to give it up completely but certain things like it skipping back too far when I backspace or very slow loading have made it such a pain to use.

It also erases my dictionary with every update. I thought it wasnt supposed to do that anymore.

If Googles version is comparable without the little hassles, Ill probably switch over.

ektoll

Yeesssssssss! Just got managed to grab a near-mint condition 16gb N7 for 153€ from a guy on Priceminister (kinda like Amazon used marketplace), with a case :D :D

This beauty will be mine! So happy!

Threi

notag
4.2 is starting to really grow on me. Not minding the clock as much as i used to, but the thing I'm enjoying the most is the improved font. The extra bit of boldness really makes it pop.

buhdeh

The lockscreen widgets are the only bad thing about 4.2. Just look so horribly done. Especially when you see the glowing white box. I'd rather just turn it off.

damn it its like the new update broke my tablet.

Display didn't work yesterday at all for a couple of hours!?

Now its having random reboots, it's not rooted, it was the OTA update. It makes more problems than my rooted Gnex now...

Hauk

Neo Member
Just preordered the 32gb 3G version here, coming to stores for Christmas here in Finland. I just knew they had to add 3G in there sometime, and now it shall be my birthday+christmas presents combined. First tablet for me, really excited. Been missing one for all the commuting and away-from-desktop-computer times, gonna be nice to play some oldie games with emulators and read books and surf the interwebs. The value for money factor on Nexus 7 seems excellent especially when looking at the standard 399-599€ (540-760$) prices the fucking stores sell their Galaxy Tabs and other 'good' tablets. Add at least 100€ for iPads >_>

But digressing here so; preordered 3G N7, really excited :)

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just preordered the 32gb 3G version here, coming to stores for Christmas here in Finland. I just knew they had to add 3G in there sometime, and now it shall be my birthday+christmas presents combined. First tablet for me, really excited. Been missing one for all the commuting and away-from-desktop-computer times, gonna be nice to play some oldie games with emulators and read books and surf the interwebs. The value for money factor on Nexus 7 seems excellent especially when looking at the standard 399-599€ (540-760$) prices the fucking stores sell their Galaxy Tabs and other 'good' tablets. Add at least 100€ for iPads >_>

But digressing here so; preordered 3G N7, really excited :)

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it :) I finally ordered one today, myself.

I am really excited for a November 26th delivery!

fritolay

Why would I buy this device over the Amazon Fire HD 7 inch tablet?
Can you use Amazon Prime videos with the Nexus 7?
Why would I buy this device over the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet?

coopolon

Why would I buy this device over the Amazon Fire HD 7 inch tablet?
Can you use Amazon Prime videos with the Nexus 7?
Why would I buy this device over the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet?

In answer to you second question, yes, you can watch prime video but only through a browser that can still use flash (so Firefox beta or xscope). Works flawlessly, but I do worry about an update breaking it.

here is a comparison by the verge of the two tablets. Basically the kindle is only good if you need HDMI out or amazon video prime is really important to you and you don't want to risk losing it. Although I imagine an android app has to be coming, it is already on iOS.

Emily Chu

Banned
In answer to you second question, yes, you can watch prime video but only through a browser that can still use flash (so Firefox beta or xscope). Works flawlessly, but I do worry about an update breaking it.

heard flash still works on 4.2 but I think with 5.0 and up it would stop maybe...

surly

Banned
Still waiting on this update. Second time Ive had to wait days for the update like this :\
Here's how to force the update: -

Settings - Apps - All - Google Services Framework. Stop the service, then clear data for the service. Do a manual check for updates and it'll find the update.

You might have to repeat this a couple of times, but it will work. I was waiting days for the 4.1.2 update, but doing the above procedure twice forced the update. I still hadn't received the 4.2 update yesterday and doing the above just once was enough to force it.

Big thanks to the GAF member that originally mentioned it.

Danj

Hmm, 3G Nexus 7 seems to be sold out in the UK, anyone know when they might be getting them back in stock? Now that I finally managed to get my phone upgraded to ICS I don't feel the need to get a 4 quite so much, but I was thinking a 7 would be handy (10 would be better but they're sold out too).

Lucario

Upgrading to 4.2 broke my media player (BSEplayer, crashes when getting thumbnails every time), and made it so the HD PDFs from the humble book bundle stall out the Kindle app, crash Document Viewer, and not work with Adobe.

The fuck? Chrome is a tiny bit faster now, but the update broke some of my most used apps. Can someone explain how it would break PDFs in three separate reader apps?

Also:

I was an early adopter, had an 8GB that I bought as an impulse buy. Dropped it, screen shattered, and after a short pissed-at-myself period, got a new one because I liked the android experience so much.

None of the new N7s had the rubbery back, and instead had a tacky-feeling plastic one. Just a warning for anyone who wants to upgrade to the 32GB.

exYle

Is it just me or is everyone's N7's randomly restarting? Ever since I upgraded to 4.2, every now and then the damn thing will just shut down with no warning.

Lucario

Aww man, are you serious? One of the reasons I love it.

Yep. Neither 32GB nexus 7 I used (had to return one, screen flickering) had the rubbery back.

EDIT: Holy shit @ this battery drain. It's using power faster than it's recharging plugged into my computer! This was never the case in 4.1.2.

coopolon

Upgrading to 4.2 broke my media player (BSEplayer, crashes when getting thumbnails every time), and made it so the HD PDFs from the humble book bundle stall out the Kindle app, crash Document Viewer, and not work with Adobe.

The fuck? Chrome is a tiny bit faster now, but the update broke some of my most used apps. Can someone explain how it would break PDFs in three separate reader apps?

Also:

I was an early adopter, had an 8GB that I bought as an impulse buy. Dropped it, screen shattered, and after a short pissed-at-myself period, got a new one because I liked the android experience so much.

None of the new N7s had the rubbery back, and instead had a tacky-feeling plastic one. Just a warning for anyone who wants to upgrade to the 32GB.

My 32GB N7 has the rubbery back. As have all the new ones I've seen in store.

Edit:
Or maybe I'm wrong and this is the plastic one and the old felt different. This definitely does not feel like standard tablet/phone plastic though, and it feels good. It feels rubbery and grippy.

Lucario

My 32GB N7 has the rubbery back. As have all the new ones I've seen in store.

Edit:
Or maybe I'm wrong and this is the plastic one and the old felt different. This definitely does not feel like standard tablet/phone plastic though, and it feels good. It feels rubbery and grippy.

Weird. If you want, I can do a video comparing the back of my 8GB and my 32; the noise made when tapping them is wildly different, and the 32 just feels like cheap plastic.

I'm using a case this time anyway, so it isn't a big deal to me, but it's upsetting that they got rid of the awesome rubbery back. Maybe it was just the batch I got mine from.

Top Bottom