• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
The new lock screen is atrocious (especially the clock). I'm really liking the dual notification menus and their version of Swype.

Plasmid

Okay so what's the point of rooting? Should i root my nexus 7? what can i do if i root it?

is it safe? how often does bricking happen?

Aiii

So not worth it
Tap on the suggestion in the middle with the ... under it, it will let you store the word you typed if it wasn't added yet. It'll also give you more suggestions when your pattern possibly matched more then the words. Though mostly it'll match the correct word or have it in the top three.

womp

Okay so what's the point of rooting? Should i root my nexus 7? what can i do if i root it?

is it safe? how often does bricking happen?

It's perfectly safe and you won't brick it.

The big thing for rooting for me is ad blocking and OTG read/writing from file manager.

midonnay

what I don't like about the new alarm clock....

I actually have to open my eyes and drag a certain direction for the fucking ringing to stop :/

before it was like a drunken paw

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
ibsQf6fB0xQeOo.png

Here's how to force the update: -

Settings - Apps - All - Google Services Framework. Stop the service, then clear data for the service. Do a manual check for updates and it'll find the update.

You might have to repeat this a couple of times, but it will work. I was waiting days for the 4.1.2 update, but doing the above procedure twice forced the update. I still hadn't received the 4.2 update yesterday and doing the above just once was enough to force it.

Big thanks to the GAF member that originally mentioned it.

Big thanks for this! Works like a charm.

Threi

notag
The HD widgets update made me realize that the lockscreen might not be as bad as i initially thought... It actually allows you to (eventually) put whatever you want on it.

For example:

Or even go back to 4.1 lockscreen (kinda):

(Put your own clock in the rightmost slot for it to be the one that shows up then you wake the device)

Mairu

Do you have to use an app to lock the lockscreen widgets so that you don't always have to see the movable outlines every time you touch it?

wetwired

Anyone else getting slow performance (delayed response and opening apps) with the new update?

Also has anyone got any recommendations for a cheap case? not a folio style one.

I hate cases myself and just have a sleeve for it to go in my bag but my daughter loves using it and I'm worried she'll drop it one day. I just want a cheap sturdy case to quickly throw it in when I give it to her to use.

RevDM

Banned
The HD widgets update made me realize that the lockscreen might not be as bad as i initially thought... It actually allows you to (eventually) put whatever you want on it.

For example:

Or even go back to 4.1 lockscreen (kinda):

(Put your own clock in the rightmost slot for it to be the one that shows up then you wake the device)
How are you getting these on your lock screen? I have HD widgets but can't figure this out

Also canm you link me to your wallpaper :)

How are you getting these on your lock screen? I have HD widgets but can't figure this out

Also canm you link me to your wallpaper :)

If you scroll along the widgets whilst on the lock screen, there should be a button to add more. The HD Widgets should be there.

Make sure you manually update HD Widgets as well beforehand.

Aiii

So not worth it
Started using my Nexus 7 as a multimedia/navigation/boardcomputer in my car:

I love how multi-faceted my use of the device has become. I literally use it everywhere now :lol

JonnyBrad

Do you have to use an app to lock the lockscreen widgets so that you don't always have to see the movable outlines every time you touch it?

Yes which is incredibly stupid, especially if you only have the clock and no other widgets there. Given the moaning about the outline box going on I'd imagine 4.2.1 will get rid.

4.2 definitely feels like a rush job. The reviewers didn't get lock screen widgets on their test models. So they probably only just got them out the door. Which is why the implementation seems to poor and badly thought out.

kagete

Posting from a new 32gb n7 and generally liking it so far. You guys were right, and this isn't rubber feeling at all. I its just a plastic with the matte finish and holes for texture. It's not bad but I was expecting something that actually had some give. I'm a sucker for soft touch materials in cars and subjectively appraise car interiors with how much my finger can push in to materials. The this n7... Has no push in at all,., its just plastic.

womp

Not thrilled with 4.2.

OTG is gone (at the moment and doesn't look good at returning). Wiimote's no longer sync due to the change of the bluetooth stack (killing my emulation needs)...Lockscreen is useless on a tablet IMO outside when I use the pin...

I love the changes to the Roboto font but otherwise? I couldn't handle it anymore and went back to 4.1.2. Works fine for me and does everything I need.

Flashed a custom ROM (SmoothROM) and absolutely LOVE the tablet hybrid UI. Amazing stuff, and the extra screen real estate thanks to the integrated notification bar makes it worth it.

jJANg.png

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Not thrilled with 4.2.

OTG is gone (at the moment and doesn't look good at returning). Wiimote's no longer sync due to the change of the bluetooth stack (killing my emulation needs)...Lockscreen is useless on a tablet IMO outside when I use the pin...

I love the changes to the Roboto font but otherwise? I couldn't handle it anymore and went back to 4.1.2. Works fine for me and does everything I need.

Flashed a custom ROM (SmoothROM) and absolutely LOVE the tablet hybrid UI. Amazing stuff, and the extra screen real estate thanks to the integrated notification bar makes it worth it.

http://i.imgur.com/jJANg.png[/IM][/QUOTE]
Did you have to do anything fancy to keep your data? I'm thinking of moving back to 4.2.1.

I just updated to 4.2 after using cm10 with LeanKernel, and wow is this thing fast. There's almost no lag and chrome flies. I don't like the new notification shade, but that will probably be fixed in the next update

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I'm expecting my Nexus on Monday the 26th, is it likely that it will have the most recent update on it already?

Bare in mind that all my Android experience thus far has been with Gingerbread so I'm not gonna rage at even the latest version for sucking, but assuming that my nexus has the previous version on it I guess I should not allow the automatic OTA update?

sca2511

Not thrilled with 4.2.

No OTG? No Wiimote? This is making me sad. Hoping this comes back at some point.

Mairu

Anyone have any comments about battery life Pre-4.2 & 4.2? Slightly disappointed with the standby battery life I'm getting right now but I can't tell if it's because of 4.2

So i am thinking about ordering one for my gf for christmas. Her laptop is pretty fucked because the gpu seems to bail out.

She mostly just surfs the web and checks e-mails, so i thought the Nexus 7 might be a good idea.

Is it as good as it seems? How does it go against a Kindle HD?

Anyone have any comments about battery life Pre-4.2 & 4.2? Slightly disappointed with the standby battery life I'm getting right now but I can't tell if it's because of 4.2

My battery is leaking all over the place.

Google services framework keeps the device awake far too long and far too often and I definitely blame 4.2 as it's happening on both my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus, I restored both to factory default settings once and its still happening.

I'm also thinking about going back to 4.1.2 as long as 4.2.1 doesn't come out, which will be soon since you cant choose December for birthdays and such in the peoples app and the news is all over the place.

vdlow

Battery life for me has been the same, even after the 4.2 update. But it's not the first time I heard of devices with lower battery life since the update.

BFIB

I usually have to charge it every day or so. I hit 15% after 1 day, 3 hrs since my last charge with moderate use.

coopolon

I've not been that impressed with the battery life either before or after 4.1. It's acceptable, but certainly nothing to brag about. On a weekend when I'm using it a lot just here and there it's almost always pretty low by the end of the day. It's fine though because I just charge it every night.

Torraz

Very tempted to order a 32gb wifi version as my first tablet.

Is the only difference between this and the older models the amount of memory? I ask because the older versions appear ot be the best in the 7 inch league...

BFIB

Very tempted to order a 32gb wifi version as my first tablet.

Is the only difference between this and the older models the amount of memory? I ask because the older versions appear ot be the best in the 7 inch league...

Yep, exact same hardware as when the device first launched. You won't regret it, its arguably the best tech purchase I've made this year.

Torraz

Yep, exact same hardware as when the device first launched. You won't regret it, its arguably the best tech purchase I've made this year.

Ordered it. It should arrive tomorrow. I'm quite excited.

Are there any consequences to not upgrading the firmware? Is it even possible?

I just read about no OTG in 4.2, a few posts ago.

Top Bottom