• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

BFIB

Ordered it. It should arrive tomorrow. I'm quite excited.

Are there any consequences to not upgrading the firmware? Is it even possible?

I just read about no OTG in 4.2, a few posts ago.

Nope, no real consequences for not updating. I would recommend rooting as soon as you get your tablet though.

Torraz

Nope, no real consequences for not updating. I would recommend rooting as soon as you get your tablet though.

Alright, thanks. Any links that I should check out with regard to rooting?

Also, do I want a case/sleeve and/or a screenprotector?

kagete

Ordered it. It should arrive tomorrow. I'm quite excited.

Are there any consequences to not upgrading the firmware? Is it even possible?

I just read about no OTG in 4.2, a few posts ago.

Yeah.. you get to install Flash if you don't upgrade. I made the mistake on mine and hurried to update to 4.2 without remembering Flash... now I don't know how to put it back on and have no desire to root or flash a ROM.

pr0cs

first I heard about the loss for OTG on 4.2. my OTG connector didn't arrive in the mail yet so I guess I have time to figure out how to 'downgrade' to 4.1 as it's beyond stupid why they'd remove OTG on 4.2

Threi

notag
OTG hadn't been lost. It's a native hardware feature and our won't go away. What has happened is Google has changed how hardware mounts to the system (for security reasons) and chainfire (the dev of the stickmount app) has to rework his app.

womp

Did you have to do anything fancy to keep your data? I'm thinking of moving back to 4.2.1.

Well, if you are already rooted going into 4.2 then all you need to do is install a custom recovery (ClockworkMOD etc) and flash a custom ROM such as SmoothROM. Your SDcard information etc will be safe and you just reinstall your apps.

Honestly, I think something like SmoothROM is superior to even official Google 4.2 at the moment. heh

pr0cs

OTG hadn't been lost. It's a native hardware feature and our won't go away. What has happened is Google has changed how hardware mounts to the system (for security reasons) and chainfire (the dev of the stickmount app) has to rework his app.

I don't really care about drive mounting but more controller use through OTG, from what I read even controller mounting via OTG is DOA.
I don't know for sure as I don't have my OTG cable but if this is the case I'll go back to 4.1.2.

womp

Yeah.. you get to install Flash if you don't upgrade. I made the mistake on mine and hurried to update to 4.2 without remembering Flash... now I don't know how to put it back on and have no desire to root or flash a ROM.

No hackery required for Flash.

Just sideload the APK and use any browser except Chrome. Nothing to it and it takes seconds. 4.1 or 4.2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

And Chainfire is already sounding like he is at his wits end with it too...:(

You can say you're cool. Otherwise that's the whole benefit of Android you get to fuck with everything. I did it for 15 minutes, got frustrated and returned my N7.

Yep, that's it, it's only to say you're cool. You got it, besides blocking ads and using console controllers to play games there is no other reason whatsoever to root your Nexus device!

Glad you returned your N7.

Dolphon's OK but I prefer Chrome personally. I've been using the AOSP browser lately with CM10, seems faster than Chrome and flash works with it too

chrislowe

well, i plugged my reciever for my keyboard and mouse into my nexus 7 32GB android 4.2, and im writing this right now on that keyboard. And the mouse works fine too..

so not sure what you mean by OTG is gone.

Battery life has improved drastically while listening to music for me. I'm also loving the new keyboard enough that I have yet to install swype.

I'm finding mine is VERY laggy and unresponsive following the new update, seems to take an age to download web pages on chrome now too. Thinking a restore to factory might be an idea - start with 4.2 from scratch. Any thoughts?

JonnyBrad

Disabling currents background sync fixed my lag.

Do google not do any product testing at all? For currents to bring one of their flagship tablets almost to its knees is pathetic.

Do google not do any product testing at all? For currents to bring one of their flagship tablets almost to its knees is pathetic.

I often thing Google's philosophy is to throw everything against a wall, see what sticks, then refine and polish.

womp

Currents has been a cpu/bandwidth pig since the day it launched a year ago. It means well but needs major optimization.

I just used Feedly and sync that to my Google Reader account anyway.

JonnyBrad

Currents has been a cpu/bandwidth pig since the day it launched a year ago. It means well but needs major optimization.

I just used Feedly and sync that to my Google Reader account anyway.

If feedly had an option to not mark things as read I would use it. Currents is frap anyway, always hours behind on feeds. Sticking with pulse news for now.

There's also a setting in Feedly that marks stories as read once you swipe past them.

I disabled Currents and restarted my Nexus. All of my lag issues are gone.

BFIB

Now that I'm getting swype down, I don't know how I ever lived without it. I can type extremely fast now.

JonnyBrad

Isn't it just swipe up or down to mark something read/unread?

Sorry I didn't quite make myself clear. I don't want it to mark as read any stories. As I like to come back to some and unless I have swiped them unread then I have to go dig them out of history. Pulse has the option not to hide read stories. Which is what I hope feedly will implement (flip board doesn't hide read stories ever)

I liked Flipbook for putting Instagram, Facebook and a handful of sites together. But it's kinda blows on tablet.

It looks like Feedly doesn't do Facebook.

Is there something like Flipbook that does Facebook, but better thanb Flipbook?

womp

Sorry I didn't quite make myself clear. I don't want it to mark as read any stories. As I like to come back to some and unless I have swiped them unread then I have to go dig them out of history. Pulse has the option not to hide read stories. Which is what I hope feedly will implement (flip board doesn't hide read stories ever)

You could also share stories over to Pocket. I do that for longer articles or stories I want to get back to later but didn't have time to read at the time.

womp

Yeah I prefer an all in one solution right now. Pulse seems to fit the bill for me.

Ultimately I am more in line with using Google Reader to fly through my zillion RSS feeds and simply starring stuff as well. Feedly is more of my 'fluff' news reader I causally browse.

Hey guys I can't decide between a netbook (10 Inches or less) or a tablet.
If it's a tablet it's most likely this one, but I don't know much about netbooks (which are the better ones).

So if you guys know some of the better netbooks, I would like to do some research on them.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well when I ordered my N7 they said that I would get it by the 26th, but I just went to the fedex site and it's already in Orlando and now they say it'll be here tomorrow :D

I hope so because I know if it doesn't make it here tomorrow that it sure as Hell won't be coming Thursday.

Replicant

Question: How easy is Nexus 7 to use for people who are not internet/technology-savvy? I want to give one to my mom but she's not good with tech and I'm not sure if I should go Nexus 7 or just iPod Touch.

BFIB

Question: How easy is Nexus 7 to use for people who are not internet/technology-savvy? I want to give one to my mom but she's not good with tech and I'm not sure if I should go Nexus 7 or just iPod Touch.

Before Jelly Bean, I would have recommended the iPad, for the not-so tech savvy. But Jelly Bean is incredibly easy to use, and she'll have it down in no time.

picked up my 32 gig N7 at walmart yesterday. Mine has the rubbery grippy back as well. not hard plastic.

Rooted, updated to 4.2 and as of a few hours ago, Chainfire updated Stickmount and added stickmount pro to the market place to "buy him a beer" (and adds some extra features) so based on the feedback on XDA so far, OTG is up and running once again.

So far, I really like mine. I'm waiting for my OTG cable/case/screen protector to show up but so far, everything is working great and a HUUGE improvement over my HTC glacier running a custom gingerbread rom.

It's my first tablet so I'm still very much in the discovery phase of the device essentially using it and seeing how it fits into my life or how it will change how I do things. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy playing emulators with the 360 controller though. The actual android market games I'm seeing are ok but nothing compared to a good old SNES classic.

We got my wife an ipad 4 Friday for her work and to replace an ancient casual web browsing/skype laptop she's using and she's already glued to the thing.

Started using my Nexus 7 as a multimedia/navigation/boardcomputer in my car:

I love how multi-faceted my use of the device has become. I literally use it everywhere now :lol

Which app are you using for that?

Aiii

So not worth it

wetwired

turns out the slowdown I experienced was due to the bug when your storage is too full and nothing to do with the 4.2 update.

I am however having some weird issues with the auto brightness noticeably switching back and forth between light and dark for no apparent reason since updating to 4.2

Top Bottom