• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Danj

So when is the 3G model going to be back in stock for UK users? Now that I've upgraded my phone with some leaked firmware, I don't feel quite such a pressing need to get a Nexus 4, so I'm thinking that a 3G Nexus 7 might be nice, but it seems to be permanently out of stock on Google Play.

RevDM

Banned
turns out the slowdown I experienced was due to the bug when your storage is too full and nothing to do with the 4.2 update.

I am however having some weird issues with the auto brightness noticeably switching back and forth between light and dark for no apparent reason since updating to 4.2

I have the brightness issue too. I've turned off auto.

Alex

I went ahead and got a little cheapie case recently, just a generic shitty eBay one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400314330217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Honestly, for a lot of things, I seem to have really good luck with just ol' low cost eBay goods for cases and shells, etc. It fits good, the stand works great, it has a properly cut out bar for the speaker instead of just a mess of holes and the magnet/auto on/off is good.

I quite like it, when I had an iPad I actually really didn't like the bulk that a folio added to it (but used it anyway because I hate smart covers), but for a small little nexus 7 it's not very invasive.

Falch

turns out the slowdown I experienced was due to the bug when your storage is too full and nothing to do with the 4.2 update.

I am however having some weird issues with the auto brightness noticeably switching back and forth between light and dark for no apparent reason since updating to 4.2

I have noticed it too, apparently there's one or two fixes for it (taping, or disabling PRISM):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1819596

Haven't tried it myself yet though.

Torraz

Got my device, charged it and now I'm in a pinch.

Can I skip the activation process upon starting the device for the first time?

The problem:
- I can't connect to my wifi without knowing the MAC address of my nexus tablet
- I can't reach the nexus 7 tablet home menu without accessing my wifi access point...

Got my device, charged it and now I'm in a pinch.

Can I skip the activation process upon starting the device for the first time?

The problem:
- I can't connect to my wifi without knowing the MAC address of my nexus tablet
- I can't reach the nexus 7 tablet home menu without accessing my wifi access point...

From what I could tell when I first got mine, the answer is no. The only option is for you to temporarily remove MAC filtering on your wifi, or connect to someone else's wifi.

It sucks, but at least it's only a one time thing. I turned my MAC filtering off, completed setup, and had it back on within the span of a couple minutes.

ektoll

I receptioned my N7 this morning and spent a lot more time than I care to admit to root it (done it with Ubuntu)... I finally managed to root it by pure luck, the installation aborted always at the last step, when sideloading with ADB. Well, it's done.
Another problem is that I spotted a tiny screen lift, on the left side. But I must admit that you have to look especially for it to see it. So I won't bother to replace my nexus.

Those 2 problems are far overshadowed by the magnificence of this tablet! I love it, it's fast, light, the OS is sexy, stable and I found all the applications that my girlfriend uses on the iPad.
For the 150€ I spent, there's no better value for money anywhere else :D

Hey guys I can't decide between a netbook (10 Inches or less) or a tablet.
If it's a tablet it's most likely this one, but I don't know much about netbooks (which are the better ones).

So if you guys know some of the better netbooks, I would like to do some research on them.

If you need to edit documents (like excel spreadsheets, *.doc) the netbook, despite all the application available on tablets, is far more suited. HP does some pretty netbooks with their mini series, but the build quality isn't always there. My girlfriend owns a Mini-210 and (now) a Nexus7. The Nexus is for browsing/social activities but she bring the netbook with her when she need to edit newsletter or work with Joomla for her job.

Here's a short and recent top of netbooks.

Torraz

From what I could tell when I first got mine, the answer is no. The only option is for you to temporarily remove MAC filtering on your wifi, or connect to someone else's wifi.

It sucks, but at least it's only a one time thing. I turned my MAC filtering off, completed setup, and had it back on within the span of a couple minutes.

Thanks. I can't believe I didn't think of turning off the MAC filtering immediately.

---

Booted up the device and I'm in love. What a fantastic little piece of technology.

Protein

Banned
Any other stores offering Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals? And is the Office Depot deal only for in-store or online as well?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys. My nexus just came in and I'm really impressed but I have one question.

Whenever I run Netflix it really looks like shit. Anyone know what's up? Brand new Nexus and good Wi-Fi connection so all should be cool.

Netflix looks way better on my iPod touch, this looks like Netflix on my shitty weak-ass phone not a big badass tablet. I'd appreciate some help here.

pr0cs

Whenever I run Netflix it really looks like shit.

It looks great for me, perhaps it's the content that is better scaled to fit on the touch.
I'd have to see content on the two devices side by side.

I have only watched a few things on netflix and found the quality to be really good so I presume it's just watch you're watching.

zero_suit

Hey guys. My nexus just came in and I'm really impressed but I have one question.

Whenever I run Netflix it really looks like shit. Anyone know what's up? Brand new Nexus and good Wi-Fi connection so all should be cool.

Netflix looks way better on my iPod touch, this looks like Netflix on my shitty weak-ass phone not a big badass tablet. I'd appreciate some help here.
I think it looks good when I'm watching something like Alias or Downton Abbey.

So I picked up a 16gb N7 last weekend and after a week with it I can say all the good reviews and good impressions are totally justified.

I've owned an iPad 2, and my current phone is iPhone 4. I remember when honeycomb came out I wanted to jump into android but it wasn't quite ready yet. It is now.
This thing is a pleasure to use.

I'll never go back to ios now.

By far the highlight is the integration into Google stuff (obviously) and the smoothness of the UI and the interface.

This thing is perfect for surfing, email, watching YouTube subscriptions, and social networking.
I'm not really interested in the gaming capabilities to be honest.

Anyway, I love it. :3

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I picked up a 16gb N7 last weekend and after a week with it I can say all the good reviews and good impressions are totally justified.

I've owned an iPad 2, and my current phone is iPhone 4. I remember when honeycomb came out I wanted to jump into android but it wasn't quite ready yet. It is now.
This thing is a pleasure to use.

I'll never go back to ios now.

By far the highlight is the integration into Google stuff (obviously) and the smoothness of the UI and the interface.

This thing is perfect for surfing, email, watching YouTube subscriptions, and social networking.
I'm not really interested in the gaming capabilities to be honest.

Anyway, I love it. :3
I've just got mine today and am really loving it. Netflix was acting up at first but it must have been a network issue, as my daughter and I watched 80's classic "The Stuff" tonight and it worked great.

Just an awesome bit of tech. I'm very glad I switched to Android :)

coopolon

I have now had mine for a week and a half and I can't say enough nice things about it. I was so concerned about the size, and believed it was too close to the size of a phone and that the ten inch was the better size but now that I have it I use it all the time when before I had an ipad 1 and 3 I used them so much less just because they are so big and clunky.

Torraz

Any verdict on whether a screen protector is needed, in addition to a carry case?

I already have a case ordered, but putting on a screen protector on a 3ds/vita sized piece of technology is already a big pain in the rear for me.

Is the show/movie in question available in HD? I don't have an n7 yet but netflix looks fine on my nexus 4 and all my other Android devices.

norinrad

I'm thinking about picking up the 32GB version here in Europe. Can i read my kindle books on there without any issues?

I forgot to mention, the website selling it which a huge electronic store shows on their website its an Asus tablet with Nexus 7. What am i missing?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I am a fish out of water with this thing. I bought a Nexus 7 for my son a couple months ago, and he's asking me to root it.

1) Is 4.2 rootable?
2) What is *the* reputable guide site, something like iClarified for iDevices?

I am a fish out of water with this thing. I bought a Nexus 7 for my son a couple months ago, and he's asking me to root it.

1) Is 4.2 rootable?

4.2 is rootable, I used Wug's Nexus Toolkit here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

You can also use that toolkit to unlock the bootloader. Everything you need is there.

I'd say the reputable guide site would be XDA Developers for sure.

1) Is 4.2 rootable?

For guides, rooting and such, xda-developers.com. Find the nexus 7 forums and subforums and you don't need anything else.

All sites pretty much quote XDA for all rooting (and similar) guides.

If XDA seems overwhelming, Rootzwiki has less forums/threads and is maybe more straightforward.

Lockon

Thinking of buying N7 32GB since I don't really want anything on Black Friday, but got some questions.

1. N7 is one of the better 7" tablet right? My mom bought Kindle Fire HD and I played with it a little. Its pretty good, but it seems to be a closed system that basically revolves around Amazon ecosystem. I also looked at the N10 but the price is a bit high.
If it is $50-100 lower, I probably would buy that instead. I think I might have answered this question myself lol, but other opinions that own multiple tablets are welcome.

2. If I buy from Google's website, does it still come with $25 google play credit?

3. I know the basic of what rooting does, but if I root an N7 do I have lose any of its uses, like the google play store?

Thinking of buying N7 32GB since I don't really want anything on Black Friday, but got some questions.

1. N7 is one of the better 7" tablet right? My mom bought Kindle Fire HD and I played with it a little. Its pretty good, but it seems to be a closed system that basically revolves around Amazon ecosystem. I also looked at the N10 but the price is a bit high.
If it is $50-100 lower, I probably would buy that instead. I think I might have answered this question myself lol, but other opinions that own multiple tablets are welcome.

2. If I buy from Google's website, does it still come with $25 google play credit?

3. I know the basic of what rooting does, but if I root an N7 do I have lose any of its uses, like the google play store?

1) IMO the best 7" tablet on the market
2) No it doesn't
3) No you will not.

pr0cs

Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll go buy one at a retail store instead. More opinions on question 1 would be appreciated.

This is my second Android tablet, my first is a 10" gTablet that I have Jellybean installed on it. While the experience isn't the same (the gtab has a hacked version of JB on it and the experience isn't nearly as smooth) the size is really the largest factor.
Initially after using a 10" tab for a while I thought 7" would be too small but in actuality it's probably the best size. It's a lot more portable, the screen is more than big enough and a lot of apps that look 'funky' on the 10" seem to look fine on the 7".
I haven't played with any other 7" tabs but to be honest once you've gone to a pure android experience (and the luxury of a considerably more diverse community, read: huge XDA support) it would be really difficult for me to go back to a non-google device.
Hell even with my SGS3 phone I'm getting buyers remorse as I'm stuck hoping someone will develop a custom rom for my Canadian edition of the device, whereas if I would have bought a Nexus 4 I would have a lot more choice when it came to customizing the phone to my preferences.

YMMV

Lockon

Any place I can buy this without the brutal shipping costs of Google store?

I'm looking at them right now. If you are in US, they are available at Office Max, hhgregg, Office Depot, and Staples.

The 32GB version is $20 off at Office Depot until 11/24.

ektoll

Yep, IMHO, and after having read a fair amount of things on this subject, the Nexus7 is the best 7" device. It also has the biggest community and, seeing the quality of the xda folks, it means that there will be a lot of support/custom roms tailored for the n7.

Any place I can buy this without the brutal shipping costs of Google store?

Are you in the US? You should find some good deals on Black Friday. There's also the second hand market, the device is young, you'll always find it under the 1year warranty.

Protein

Banned
Got my Nexus 7. This thing is pretty sexy. What's a good music player app/program? I use winamp on my PC and I'm new to tablets.

Torraz

Is the xx $/euro you get for free for the play store automatic or do I have to do anything to get it? Where do I find my balance/wallet?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got my Nexus 7. This thing is pretty sexy. What's a good music player app/program? I use winamp on my PC and I'm new to tablets.

If you are using wifi all the time IMO it's best to just use the google music player because you can stream your music without filling up your tablet space with music. That's just me though.

Can anyone give me a hand with this?

I just got a N7 and I'm having a problem connecting it to my WiFi. The WiiU was just fine, but I keep getting Authentication Error when trying to set up the WiFi on the N7. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom