• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I just had a lockup and when the N7 rebooted itself it made a really weird noise. Everything seems to work fine now, but that noise sounded kinda bad. A pretty high frequent buzzing from the lower end of it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So, is it still a few thing to not fill up the 16gb too much? I've got like 8gb left and just wanna be careful. Partaking a bit of the Play sales.

I'm running there most recent stock version by the way.

Synless

Picked one of these up for my mom for Christmas and was messing around with it to get it set up so she doesn't do anything when she gets it. I noticed it had Ice Age and Planet Earth preloaded on it. Are these permanent or some kind of temporary ownerships?

Contemplating whether I should just buy a wifi model from staples or order a 3g model from play for $50 more. One question though. If I just get it from staples I know one of the older models you should avoid due to screen lift...which is that? Also, is that model printed on the box somewhere?

EDIT: screw it...just ordered the 3g one

Dez

So I've been using a nexus 7 for the last week or so and my impressions are mixed. I'm an iOS person, but was told that jellybean OS puts iOS to shame. Unfortunately that's not the case. Chrome is way slower than safari, scrolling in general is just not smooth and the lack of feedback when you reach the end of a page is just awful for reading GAF threads.

I like the idea of widgets but in practice a lot of them are ugly. Not sure what to do about the black box that surrounds my calendar widget when I don't have many entries coming up. Facebook and twitter widgets seem like a good idea but you have to press a button to move to different posts, rather than some sort of dynamic scrolling.

Even Google maps performs poorly compared to the old ios5 version when scrolling.

But I do love the form factor. Reading and browsing in bed is way easier than on my iPad 3 and of course its actually portable.

Cipherr

So I've been using a nexus 7 for the last week or so and my impressions are mixed. I'm an iOS person, but was told that jellybean OS puts iOS to shame. Unfortunately that's not the case. Chrome is way slower than safari, scrolling in general is just not smooth and the lack of feedback when you reach the end of a page is just awful for reading GAF threads.

I like the idea of widgets but in practice a lot of them are ugly. Not sure what to do about the black box that surrounds my calendar widget when I don't have many entries coming up. Facebook and twitter widgets seem like a good idea but you have to press a button to move to different posts, rather than some sort of dynamic scrolling.

Even Google maps performs poorly compared to the old ios5 version when scrolling.

But I do love the form factor. Reading and browsing in bed is way easier than on my iPad 3 and of course its actually portable.

In the latest release they replaced the stock browser which is incredibly smooth with Chrome which is still clearly in development and not as fluid. But this isn't iOS, so download the Firefox Browser or Dolphin or Boat, set it as your default browser and never look back. You aren't stuck and chained to a single browser on Android, you are free to choose whichever is the best. IMO thats Firefox right now.

I dont have any problems with maps. It performs just fine for me, and functionality and performance wise it has always always crapped on its iOS equivalent from on high. I dont really even know what to tell you on that. The old iOS GMaps is, and always was a hollow shell in comparison to the full experience on Android.

If a Widget is badly designed (there are some that are) just dont use it. Its just an optional thing, you can always slap the apps icon in that space and touch the icon to launch the app like on all other mobile platforms. Be sure to look at the Play store for alternatives before writing it off though. The stock calendar widget might not be impressive, but there are fantastic ones available for the platform.

Dez

In the latest release they replaced the stock browser which is incredibly smooth with Chrome which is still clearly in development and not as fluid. But this isn't iOS, so download the Firefox Browser or Dolphin or Boat, set it as your default browser and never look back. You aren't stuck and chained to a single browser on Android, you are free to choose whichever is the best. IMO thats Firefox right now.

I dont have any problems with maps. It performs just fine for me, and functionality and performance wise it has always always crapped on its iOS equivalent from on high. I dont really even know what to tell you on that. The old iOS GMaps is, and always was a hollow shell in comparison to the full experience on Android.

If a Widget is badly designed (there are some that are) just dont use it. Its just an optional thing, you can always slap the apps icon in that space and touch the icon to launch the app like on all other mobile platforms. Be sure to look at the Play store for alternatives before writing it off though. The stock calendar widget might not be impressive, but there are fantastic ones available for the platform.

Thanks. I've switched to Dolphin for the time being and it is much smoother. Funny how it uses the linen texture though :lol.

Wrt Google maps I guess we will disagree there. Its obviously a lot more functional but I was hoping for something closer to 60 fps when scrolling or zooming. Right now its pretty clunky. Perhaps the graphics hardware on this device isn't up to the task.

looking into buying a tablet this christmas season and I think Im gonna get the Nexus 7 but am wondering a few things. How is reading on the Nexus 7, videos, and web browsing?

vdlow

I have to say that Chrome became a lot better for me after 4.2. The thread of the month here (next-gen box arts) is full of gifs and now I can visit the topic using Chrome without problems. Before 4.2, any gif was like slow slow slow.

looking into buying a tablet this christmas season and I think Im gonna get the Nexus 7 but am wondering a few things. How is reading on the Nexus 7, videos, and web browsing?

I've done a fair bit of reading on the Kindle app and it's been nice (I wish it had the nifty page flipping of Google's Play Books app, but oh well). This was all done in 4.1 however, and since 4.2 the auto-brightness of mine has been out of control. I don't know how much I'd like that while reading at night. Reading on my regular E Ink Kindle is still my default, but I think I could lose it and not be TOO inconvenienced.

sca2511

I've done a fair bit of reading on the Kindle app and it's been nice (I wish it had the nifty page flipping of Google's Play Books app, but oh well). This was all done in 4.1 however, and since 4.2 the auto-brightness of mine has been out of control. I don't know how much I'd like that while reading at night. Reading on my regular E Ink Kindle is still my default, but I think I could lose it and not be TOO inconvenienced.

Barnes and Noble app has smooth page flipping, plus you can sideload.

Cipherr

PSA: feedly beats the shit out of currents, flipnote, etc.

Feedly is awesome, I just cant get passed that horrible widget they have. Its god awful. And the fact that when you launch, it sends you to that stupid splash screen. It should drop you right into a list of your categories when launched.... Not a big blank screen that says "CLICK HERE FOR YOUR STORIES BRO", thats just stupid for no reason.

ektoll

Barnes and Noble app has smooth page flipping, plus you can sideload.

On a side note, I installed the Kobo app for my girlfriend and you can't even search in your local library, a research brings you only in their store. I couldn't believe it, that's so bad.

I don't understand this one. On GAF mobile I get to the end of a Page and hit next Page. Should it beep at me or something?

I didn't understand too... I see no difference browsing Gaf on iOS or Android.

Dez

I don't understand this one. On GAF mobile I get to the end of a Page and hit next Page. Should it beep at me or something?

Referring to the lack of pullback when you scroll once you're at the end of a page. It feels like its hung but it just won't scroll further because there's nothing left to see. It's just jarring coming from iOS which has a less abrupt way of telling you've reached the end of the page. The page keeps moving up but you see the linen texture show up beneath it.

Anyway it's probably because apple has a patent on that

Dolphin has a nice subtle fading gradient when you reach the bottom, so its not so bad.

saunderez

Referring to the lack of pullback when you scroll once you're at the end of a page. It feels like its hung but it just won't scroll further because there's nothing left to see. It's just jarring coming from iOS which has a less abrupt way of telling you've reached the end of the page. The page keeps moving up but you see the linen texture show up beneath it.

Anyway it's probably because apple has a patent on that

That's precisely why Google were forced to remove bounce overscroll from Android. We did have it, Apple cracked the shits and now we have alternative overscroll methods (glow overscroll you noticed in Dolphin seems to be most common).

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Someone post some awesome cases. I bought a sleeve on sale that I'm not too fond of and I want to get another.

I may be a new Nexus owner, but I've grown quite fond of my wallet-style Poetic Nexus case.

I actually bought it before I even got my Nexus.I'll be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed until I actually got my Nexus in there and everything came together. it's a great case for a great price.

Someone post some awesome cases. I bought a sleeve on sale that I'm not too fond of and I want to get another.
I ordered a stock, no-frills Treegloo case (black cover, bare wood frame, light blue liner, elastic closure)...the only major downside to it is that these custom made-to-order covers take a while to get delivered. I ordered mine a week and a half ago, have no idea when it will arrive =P

Just got mine today... yay!!

But then 4.2 installed. BOO. I want the old lockscreen... no boxes, regular non-bold clock.

And did they shrink the "home row" icons, or is that just me?

books are pretty good — worse than an e-reader, better than an ipad mini. movies are great. browsing isn't so good because of the screen size/aspect ratio.

Darknight

Is the ebay deal on this tablet dead? I remember seeing one going for $230 or something for a bundle of a 32gb + case or something. Any chances for an online deal like that on Cyber Monday?

RJM77

Is the ebay deal on this tablet dead? I remember seeing one going for $230 or something for a bundle of a 32gb + case or something. Any chances for an online deal like that on Cyber Monday?

Yeah it was $239 for the 32gb + screen protector + "official" case. Not a bad deal considering it's tax free for most of us and free shipping. Adorama sold 2000 of them. I jumped on it since Goog won't sell me a Nexus 4.
Wouldn't surprise me to see more deals pop up between now and Christmas.

DagsJT

Feedly works great until you add RSS feeds yourself. You go to the page in Feedly and it gives you one line of text with a link to article on a website. Which kinda defeats the point of Feedly.

Kibbles

Picked one of these up for my mom for Christmas and was messing around with it to get it set up so she doesn't do anything when she gets it. I noticed it had Ice Age and Planet Earth preloaded on it. Are these permanent or some kind of temporary ownerships?

Oh so is this why it says they are purchased on my youtube account? lol it was bugging me.
This case is pure awesome

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2POAS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I love the way it only hooks on the corners of the tablet, doesn't cut off screen viewing at all. Very low profile. 3 different built in stand viewing angles.

Came to post this as well, I got this right away, loving it (though I shot out the screen protector, don't know if it's any good, I just don't like them). Love it though, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than anything at local retail stores. I love how the devices wakes and sleeps when you open and close it :3

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I catch my nexus rebooting randomly if I'm not using it. Is this normal?

Not normal. I've read this is a bug with the 4.2 update. Have heard some people say if you uninstall HD widgets it fixes it but others have said it doesn't or that they never had HD widgets installed but might be worth a try if you have it.

Not a fan of feedly and other curated news readers. I like to set up my own feeds and like someone said above, they just show up as text blurbs with a link to the article. Totally pointless.

Trying out Pulse now, but its not that much better in that regard

So it turns out my Nexus I got is defective. Won't turn on after about two weeks post-purchase. :\

Anyone have experience with Asus's customer service? I'm gonna have to call the hotline tomorrow (got work until then).

So it turns out my Nexus I got is defective. Won't turn on after about two weeks post-purchase. :\

Anyone have experience with Asus's customer service? I'm gonna have to call the hotline tomorrow (got work until then).

Is it exactly 2 weeks because if I'm not mistaken Google has a 15 return policy. Just get new one if possible so you don't have wait on repairs and such.

If for any reason you do not wish to keep your Device, you have up to 15 days from the date the Device is delivered to you to cancel your purchase of the Device and your contract with Google. If you exercise your right of cancellation and the Device has been delivered to you, you are responsible for returning the Device as soon as possible and at your own cost. To initiate a return please contact Google Play Support and obtain a return authorization. For some returns Google may charge you a restocking fee. Please review the restocking policies posted here to determine whether such fees apply to you. Upon Google's receipt of the returned Device, Google will issue a refund in your Google Wallet account using your initial payment method minus any applicable shipping and handling and restocking fees.

You must take reasonable care of the items that you wish to return, and we request that you return the Device with its original packaging and any accessories. Upon Google's receipt of the returned Device, Google will issue a refund in your Google Wallet account for the amount paid for the Device, less any shipping and handling charges, within a reasonable time. If you decide to cancel the purchase of the relevant Device as set out in this paragraph and if you fail to return the Device in accordance with these Terms, you may be charged a sum for our direct cost of recovering that Device, and we may deduct that sum from your refund.

https://play.google.com/about/device-terms.html

Top Bottom